Code of Conduct

Default Thoughts on Bond no. 9 I love NY for Him

Hey Guys:

Been wearing my sample of for Him these past three days. May have one more wearing left. I find it pleasant, but really, this smells like pretty much something that Hugo Boss or even Calvin Klein could have done. I get the lightly gingered grapefruit, with maybe some sweetness from the amber in the base. For 105 bucks, it's really hard to be too excited by this one. I think Bond hopes to use it's good rep in the niche market to push some units of this one, but I'd be a bit wary if I were you.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Thoughts on Bond no. 9 I love NY for Him

Boring, bland and banal- la Bleu de Chanel.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Nothing special at all. Been there done that...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aquil View Post
    Nothing special at all.
    Agree.

Banned

... ...

I really want to try the "for all" version. Heard good things about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    ... and that's why it'll sell.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    ... and that's why it'll sell.
    Yep, just like Thomas Kinkade paintings do......
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th October 2011 at 05:07 PM.

I got samples of for all and for him yesterday. Really enjoyed for all, projection is good and longevity is outstanding. Definitely worth checking out.

I haven't worn for him yet, just sprayed it on the card, but it's definitely much better than libre.

Basenotes Plus

I have sampled the for all and for him. I thought that for him smelled nice. However it gave me a designer scent vibe. I need to finish my sample. I did really like the for all. Trying to decide if I need a bottle.

I sampled both of the newer I Love NY Bonds today... one was a less sharp, toned down a bit gourmand in the very same vein as New Haarlem and the other - I'm sorry... it smells like a dozen other scents I'd rather not have purchased. It really hit me that it smelled like John Varvatos Star USA. I mean, almost identical to my nose.

Blog Entries

LOL

I agree - there was definitely a huge Bleu-like streak, right through the middle of the (apparent) gourmand theme that the I♥NY trio seems to share. As a Bleu fan, I took interest - particularly in what seemed otherwise like a gourmand. That actually seemed a bit different. However, that was just from the magazine flap. Still awaiting a real test. I am forced to admit that my Kinkade money could be looking at this scent!

By most standards, this should be the least interesting to BNers. The "for all" - a unisex gourmand - no surprise that one will get some love. I'm more curious what people will think of the "for her". That one seemed pretty good from the magazine flap as well.

I sampled that one and it smelled like one of tens generic aquatic smells, best by far from that line is NY for All, but again I find even that one too heavy for me. It reminds me a little bit on China Town, not in the way how it smells, but in the way that both of them have some heavy sweet note.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I sampled and liked this very much.....I liked this way better than Gucci Guilty or Chanel Bleu..... The for all scent is fantastic that's for sure.....These are easy to wear and that's what John Q. Public wants.....At some point I just might purchase one of these to have some fun.....Gary

Being subtle is not an attribute on Bond 9 in general, but in my opinion these new I Love NY scents take the prize for being crass, loud and totally unbearable and unoriginal.

Regards,
    Steve

Dependent

Agree, for Him is totally uninspiring and unoriginal.

For All however ... perhaps the only gourmande I've ever liked, at least at first sniff. I might even try wearing it *gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rock View Post
    I have sampled the for all and for him. I thought that for him smelled nice. However it gave me a designer scent vibe. I need to finish my sample. I did really like the for all. Trying to decide if I need a bottle.
    This. Stopped me from buying. A bit too 'generic'.

A perfume that smells at least somewhat similar to Bleu de Chanel and is by one of my favorite perfumers? I've got to check this out.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    A perfume that smells at least somewhat similar to Bleu de Chanel and is by one of my favorite perfumers? I've got to check this out.
    Did you ever have a chance to try this?

Not yet, although I plan on getting a sample from ebay soon.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I have a sample of I <3 NY Him and I think it is very generic smelling. It starts off with a heavy synthetic, albeit pleasant smell. It doesn't smell like a niche' fragrance, but it does smell good. The great part is the longevity. It lasted about over 12 hours easy on me.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

NY for Him was bland and generic. It reminded me of some other recent release from this house.

I'm unsure about NY for All. I need a couple more wearings to figure this one out.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    NY for Him was bland and generic.
    Agree

It reminded me of some other recent release from this house.
    Chez Bond

Blog Entries

Am glad I have the same opinion on this scent; very generic and boring, not really that special...
    Last edited by Francop; 21st November 2011 at 05:01 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

For All is much better, IMNSHO. Of course, they are also very different. Try before you buy!

I tried all three - For Him, For Her, For All.

For Him - As you are all saying, very generic designer male scent. Nothing special or interesting - and not what i would to buy.
    For Her - Generic female scent. Nothing interesting or special.
    For All - This took me instantly - a strong coffee note with some light cocoa. I got a sample of this and wore it several times. There are two other coffees new on the market (Kokorico and the AMen Chili.) NST reviewed all three together recently - http://www.nstperfume.com/2011/10/05...rance-reviews/ - I had the sample with me when I was traveling through Europe and I compared it to Kokorico (nice for about 10 minutes) and Amen Chili (garish, obnoxious - so for me, perfect and lovely.) I kept going back to For All and really liking it. Even though its coffee - its warm and comforting and not overtly brisk. Even after everything I bought on the Paris trip, I bought For All when I returned to the states (I bout Amen Chili when I was out.)

I find myself spraying For All in the morning and just enjoying it throughout the day. Its linear and it lasts long on me - 8 to 9 hours. While there may be other things like it on the market, I really like it and wear it often. At night, when I go to DJ - I will layer it with Creed Royal Oud and get a sweet/savory mix that really works for me.

Blog Entries

LOL

You'll probably stick with Bleu, but this one is definitely worth a sample. I've worn it and enjoyed it.

I think it's well done - in its style, which is popular with the golf shirt crowd. This seems closer to Lacoste Blanc than Bleu, IMO, but there are similarities both ways. Among "creamy/clean/white/pure/powdery" masculines, it has a nice assortment of subsidiary notes - woody, herbal, and spicy - that are subtle but played up to a nice volume, offering some interesting diversions. In some ways, it's easier to love than Bleu, too - the whole thing plays out more obviously. Which may be why you might favor the more enigmatic Bleu, but if you're getting into simple but good, this one is. But no arguments - it's mainstream.

For All is - however - SO easy to love, it's ridiculous. I hear ya, djron! I'm now very glad I never bought New Haarlem, because For All is definitely the Bond coffee gourmand for me. It's a precision weapon against my wallet. Longevity kicks butt, too. I was sillaging around quitting time at work, on a very restrained application in the morning. But no brutish powerhouse - it's subtle. GOOD STUFF.

The women's is interesting to me because it a rather radical fruity gourmand - the ad copy likens it to a pastry, and.... well.... yes. A really expensive cherry danish with vanilla and a touch of liqueur. I sniff all the fruity women's scents just to keep up, and I think this one is actually smoother than almost anything I've smelled on the counters. Most of them just aren't as polished as this one, and they tend to be far less "edible" on the gourmand aspects. If I smelled something like this in the bakery, I'd buy. So again - like the men's, it's not a connoisseur-favored category, but in its category, it's actually well done. And for guys who think fruity scents are nice on women, or who have a lady who likes these? Definitely get a sample. This is undoubtedly somebody's sexy scent.

I think So New York is the best, and can easily be pulled off by a guy.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The women's is interesting to me because it a rather radical fruity gourmand - the ad copy likens it to a pastry, and.... well.... yes. A really expensive cherry danish with vanilla and a touch of liqueur. I sniff all the fruity women's scents just to keep up, and I think this one is actually smoother than almost anything I've smelled on the counters. Most of them just aren't as polished as this one, and they tend to be far less "edible" on the gourmand aspects. If I smelled something like this in the bakery, I'd buy. So again - like the men's, it's not a connoisseur-favored category, but in its category, it's actually well done. And for guys who think fruity scents are nice on women, or who have a lady who likes these? Definitely get a sample. This is undoubtedly somebody's sexy scent.
    Gave my sample of For Her to my girl and it smells great on her. The three P's pastry-peony-patchouli make for a successful harmony, and not sickly sweet. Young but not immature.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Gave my sample of For Her to my girl and it smells great on her. The three P's pastry-peony-patchouli make for a successful harmony, and not sickly sweet. Young but not immature.
    Glad I'm not the only one seeing this! I also like the way it holds up well on skin. A lot of these fruity feminine scents start off well and then kind of fall apart not too much later. Not this one. The longevity isn't nearly as impressive as the For All, but it stays together for the whole ride.

I sampled that one and it smelled like one of tens generic aquatic smells
    Am glad I have the same opinion on this scent; very generic and boring, not really that special...
    For Him - As you are all saying, very generic designer male scent. Nothing special or interesting - and not what i would to buy.

So at what point - I mean, with all the talk of L'Instant Extreme, DHI, New Haarlem, Rochas Man, Kokorico, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee, etc - does a coffee or cocoa based gourmand become the new generic?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Wearing For Him today and the original poster is dead-on. It's a very safe scent, equal parts Hugo and Dior Higher. Smells modern and clean, but that's about all I can give it. Glad I just have the sample and I did not pay for a full size bottle. I actually think Bleu de Chanel is vastly superior to this. Oh well, at least it does not stink. This is very much in the vein of a mainstream Boss release, one I would not usually purchase.

Dependent

So at what point - I mean, with all the talk of L'Instant Extreme, DHI, New Haarlem, Rochas Man, Kokorico, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee, etc - does a coffee or cocoa based gourmand become the new generic?
    Not yet at any rate.

FWIW I didn't get much relation between ILNYFH and Chanel Bleu. ILNYFH is more of a dihydromyrcenol synthetic green masculine, a descendent of Cool Water. Ultra-generic.

For All otoh is probably the least sweet gourmand I've tried. It is a bit linear, synthetic and potent however. Not bad, but not sure I could wear it all day -- and its longevity is serious.

Blog Entries

Not a bad scent for a long day`s work when you are suited and booted for 8 hours...using the sample to top up at lunch time is a must...

Yep, just like Thomas Kinkade paintings do......
    If no one else thinks that's funny, I do.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

I wore this today. You know, it's just not good. It's really irritating to me about 9 hours in. I'll take Chanel Bleu over this any day. This is from a small spray sample that I hope I have the sense to leave alone in the future. UGGGHHH.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wore this today. You know, it's just not good. It's really irritating to me about 9 hours in. I'll take Chanel Bleu over this any day. This is from a small spray sample that I hope I have the sense to leave alone in the future. UGGGHHH.
    I know what you mean! have been wearing my sample recently again and must admit it got really boring after a while.

The price of this juice does not match the quality of the product.

I suggest you get it cheaper online somewhere else...
    Last edited by Francop; 29th August 2012 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Wearing For Him today and the original poster is dead-on. It's a very safe scent, equal parts Hugo and Dior Higher. Smells modern and clean, but that's about all I can give it. Glad I just have the sample and I did not pay for a full size bottle. I actually think Bleu de Chanel is vastly superior to this. Oh well, at least it does not stink. This is very much in the vein of a mainstream Boss release, one I would not usually purchase.
    I think this review is spot on as well, but I'd like to add that anyone interested in something modern but in the vein of those designer fragrances mentioned should take a closer look at this one. Guys are always posting comments asking for recommendations of a solid, work-appropriate, fresh, versatile fragrance. Well fellas - this is it! Its all the generic cleanness and freshness that you could want, but it projects and lasts like Acqua di Gio. So while it may not be worth $100 for the person with discriminating tastes, its certainly worth consideration for the guy with $80-90 to spend on something that will be pleasant and stand out of the crowd of body sprays, Axe deodorant, and subtle designer fragrances. I would describe it as "serviceable".
    Summer Rotation:

Versace Pour Homme by Versace
    Cool Water Game by Davidoff
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    H.M. by Hanae Mori
    Vettiveru by Commes Des Garons
    Love & Luck by Ed Hardy
    Riverside Drive by Bond No. 9

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)