Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Royal Bain De Caron.

Royal Bain De Caron, the story goes, was made specifically for an American newspaper mogul (likely true) by Caron to replace champagne in his baths (think c. 1941 newspaper mogul); thus the shape of the bottle previously named Royal Bain De Champagne, which Caron had to change due to copyright issues with the use of the name champagne. I have always liked this fragrance and decided to wear it tonight even though it did not replace champagne in my bath (LOL) so, I thought I would write this thread in order to bring newer members up to speed on the back round of Royal Bain De Caron. I do not put it in the bath water, but rather spray it on my arms and neck. Longevity is just fair, so by the morning shower it is virtually played out. Pleasant is the wearing indeed. Ernest Daltroff is the perfumer and I think this fragrance warrants a place in the fragrance wardrobes of both men and women.
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 2nd November 2011 at 04:23 AM.

Default Re: Royal Bain De Caron.

Nick, this is a wonderful and overlooked treasure from Caron.

The "Champagne" bottle is a little silly, but the scent itself is pleasant and warm. It is good oriental with a very mild vanilla sweetness.

Yes, it is a unisex and should be sampled.

"Champagne" can be tricky as a word. Remember what happened to YSL Champagne; it was changed to Yvresse.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicola:

are you referring to vintage or the current version?

As you know, Turin-Sanchez, who simply hate Fraysse, claim that the original is very different from the current stuff.

But we need Larimar for anything Fraysse-Caron related.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

It's reputedly a choice of perfume in certain voodoo circles as well, with purported magical qualities. Some say this correspondence began due to the Cotton Club who reportedly washed their floors with some of this fragrance mixed with their floor wash. Some say this was to bring money and success into the club. Others say it was to protect the club from being busted. Still others say it had something to do with masking the smell of booze during prohibition... who knows... it's definitely a perfume with an interesting history and I like it a lot (even the new stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    But we need Larimar for anything Fraysse-Caron related.

cacio
    Very flattering, cacio, thank you! It is just a bit too much of honor. I have had no encounter with Royal Bain yet.
    I can add a bit of information from the Caron book:
    1923 saw the launch of the original Bain de Champagne, a special bath essence in a champagne bottle with an antique style bas-relief label:

I was called a relaxing eau de toilette for the bath and a tribute to the optimistic 1920s. The champagne perfume bottle was chosen in reference to the splendid Parisian parties often ending in debauchery in the early hours and which a champagne bath could soothe away.
    In 1944 Royal Bain de Champagne, which is the modernized version of Bain de Champagne created 20 years before, was launched. It was an eau de toilette composed of rose, green lilac, incense coating, benzoin, opoponax, cedar, sandal, vanilla and amber musk in a re-vamped champagne bottle with a gold top and label decorated with a panache of feathers.

It was a success and one of the most popular sales in the 1950s. This unexpected success was mainly due to the intense use of the perfume during Voodoo ceremonies in Haiti and some Caribbean islands.

One of my wife's favorites. Smells wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the edt from early 00s, just after the name was changed. It does indeed have a sort fizz like note, just like real champagne.

I have heard stories that round central park you can find voodoo shrines with Royal Bain on them.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    I was called a relaxing eau de toilette for the bath and a tribute to the optimistic 1920s. The champagne perfume bottle was chosen in reference to the splendid Parisian parties often ending in debauchery in the early hours and which a champagne bath could soothe away.
    In 1944 Royal Bain de Champagne, which is the modernized version of Bain de Champagne created 20 years before, was launched. It was an eau de toilette composed of rose, green lilac, incense coating, benzoin, opoponax, cedar, sandal, vanilla and amber musk in a re-vamped champagne bottle with a gold top and label decorated with a panache of feathers.

It was a success and one of the most popular sales in the 1950s. This unexpected success was mainly due to the intense use of the perfume during Voodoo ceremonies in Haiti and some Caribbean islands.
    A perfumed bath as a cure for debauchery? Ah, now we know why a certain dandy must have taken them!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I own the newer version and never smelled the old one. This is really sweet, maybe the sweetest frag I own, however every time I wear it (at home, after bath) I discover new aspects and am enjoying it each time more.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you all for the information!

Btw, to complete the reference, Luca Turin states that Flower by Kenzo was copied from vintage RBC and is now much closer to the original than the Frayssed sweet stuff now sold by Caron.

As for many other Carons, I need to smell for myself...

cacio

Glossary: to Fraysse = to ruin rich, wonderful, adventurous perfumes by taming, sweetening, smoothing over, cit. Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez.

Post Thanks / Like

I was frightened when I read that they reform'd this, but I don't have direct evidence that they have...I had an older bottle (Champagne) and a now a newer one (Bain) with ingredients listed on the box, which tells me it's not terribly old, and they both smell pretty much the same (not exactly, but close enough). I can't vouch for the age of the bottle I have though.

With regards to Flower by Kenzo, they are strikingly similar, but Flower is much more modern and spare, and I happen to love and wear both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I was frightened when I read that they reform'd this, but I don't have direct evidence that they have...I had an older bottle (Champagne) and a now a newer one (Bain) with ingredients listed on the box, which tells me it's not terribly old, and they both smell pretty much the same (not exactly, but close enough). I can't vouch for the age of the bottle I have though.

With regards to Flower by Kenzo, they are strikingly similar, but Flower is much more modern and spare, and I happen to love and wear both.
    From what I understand, if the older bottle is called "Royal Bain de Champagne" then there is a good chance it's the vintage formula. If it's "Royal Bain de Caron" it may still be the new formula.

The two formulations are noticeably different to this nose. The original is similar in strength and structure to classic Carons like vintage Tabac Blond and Poivre. It is richer and more complex (and more long lasting) than the reformulation which when sniffed side by side with the original, definitely smells more synthetic, lighter and less potent.

One of the bottles I purchased a while back had been left to evaporate accidentally and the dense and thick distilled elixir that is left is extraordinary; like floral smoke.
    Griff

Never tried it, bad reviews from Luca Turin and naed_nitram always scared me away. Seems like a pretty expensive substitute for Florida water if you're using it for voodoo rituals.

I don't find it THAT similar to Kenzo Flower. On me the lasting power is decent, although it is a soft scent. At the beginnong it is a bit too sweet and weird but them morphs into a scent reminiscent of Papier d'Armenie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Never tried it, bad reviews from Luca Turin and naed_nitram always scared me away. Seems like a pretty expensive substitute for Florida water if you're using it for voodoo rituals.
    In case you are wondering, it smells nothing like Florida Water.

I wish someone could give a more definitive boundary of what constitutes vintage / original / good RBdC and new / reformulated / evil RBdC. I have a bottle that says "Royal Bain de Champagne" and it smells pretty identical to a bottle of "Royal Bain de Caron" on the store shelf. I can sense a metallic element in the "Champagne," which is one of Turin-Sanchez's criticisms of the current formulation, and it is by no means identical to Kenzo Flower. Therefore, I think the Champagne / Caron distinction is not a precise way to distinguish the legendary old stuff with the new stuff.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me get this straight, people filled up the tub with champagne? Isn't that cold? Alcohol dries out the skin. That is just a bad idea.

otoh a bath with a bottle of champagne and a crystal flute next to you sounds killer.