Code of Conduct

Default My Wonderful Vintage Find!!

It arrived via FedEx this morning! 1950's Chanel No. 5 parfum. Sealed with original boxes! No concentration/evaporation...gotta love that perfect Chanel seal. AND it's a 2 oz. bottle!!! I'm thinking this is a pretty rare bottle. I spent around $250 on it. But I think that is a very reasonable price considering what I got.

It took some doing to get the stopper out. But I used Sorcery of Scent's guide to opening stuck stoppers...and it worked like a charm. (Thanks SoS for great information!)

I am comparing this 1950's version to the modern edp. And I am shocked by the difference. The vintage is much more mellow and animalic. The modern is more powdery, floral and dare I say it, a tad sweet in comparison. No doubt to keep up with modern tastes for sweet florals w/o completing sacrificing what makes it No. 5. I like both, but the vintage is swoon worthy!

The only draw back is that I wish this parfum had more projection. Maybe a heavier application would help that...or maybe it's time to get some vintage EdC for days I want more sillage. When does it end...?? But for now, I'm happy sniffing my arm all day.

Default Re: My Wonderful Vintage Find!!

Im glad for you.

It hurt to hear and sounds kinda crazy that an Eau de Cologne projects more than a Pure Parfum Extrait.
    Sad but true.

Almost the contrariwise that everyone think when they are not into perfumes!!

Ps: what is that guide? I almost broke my vintages Poison Parfum (and tendre too) to take off the stopper.

I hope you wear it in good health.

Can we see pictures please. I'd love to see packaging and presentation from the 50s.
    for swap/sale:

Thanks for sharing, do give more of your impressions as time goes on. Picture would be great!

Congrats on your wonder!

By chance, I found an open 2 oz bottle with some liquid in it at an antique store ($35), presumably more recent vintage. But it seems off, if not downright fake. In any case, what's there is crisper and more soapy than modern stuff, and with little florals. But no animalics either. I also found and EdC, which projects well - for a few minutes; but it's much closer to the edt, rich, floral, with the big aldehidic swoon.

cacio

Guest 3

Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health.

Yes...I will work on pictures today. I am a little techno-impaired. But I'll give it a go. Until then, here is the ebay link to parfum

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160660236475

Here is also the link to Sorcery of Scent's very helpful guide:

http://sorceryofscent.blogspot.com/2...e-stopper.html

Congratulations! What a thrill to hold such a stunning piece in your hands finally, isn't it? Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Larimar View Post
    Congratulations! What a thrill to hold such a stunning piece in your hands finally, isn't it? Enjoy!
    Yes...quite a thrill! It came this AM and I had to wait until the little one went down for a nap this afternoon, as I needed absolute concentration in order to examine the bottle, make sure it was what I hoped, and to ever so carefully open it.

As I wear this, the animalic component is what comes on strong at first...only after 20 minutes or so do I get flowers...and dirty ones at that. The aldehydes lurk in the background. The powder note is subtle and accompanies the floral heart. So interesting, as I would expect a strong blast of powder and aldehydes first. This is one very bad girl. Descriptions that come to mind when I smell this: negligee, sweaty hot sex on a bed of crushed flower petals, morning after powdery/skin scent. This fragrance must have been absolutely scandalous when it debuted in the 20's.

As a side note, I just eyed some 1950's No. 5 eau de cologne on evilbay. It is now, also, mine. On what planet would someone who just spent a minor fortune on vintage parfum, turn around and impulsively nab a vintage eau de cologne of the exact same scent???? Down the rabbit hole, my friends, is the wonderfully strange and beautifully scented world of Basenoters! I now have just about every formulation and vintage of No. 5 I could ever want....or do I....?
    Last edited by chaplain; 19th October 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Photo's, photo's, photo's, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Photo's, photo's, photo's, please!
    Yes! I will work on this tonight. She is beautiful and I want to share her with you all!

A gorgeous find chaplain! Have you perhaps thought of decanting a small amount into an atomiser and spraying the parfum?
    I know Chanel (and most other companies) package their extraits as dab-ons, but I have done my fair share of experimentation dabbing vs spritzing.
    You may find that vintage Chanel takes on a whole new form when applied with an atomiser. If you do give it a go, please let us know what you think.

Also, thank for the kind words about my article. Im so pleased this method worked for you! Its a method I swear by, working 9 times out of 10.

I dont know why, but for some reason, when I click on the link you pasted above, it comes up with a Page Not Found message.
    I will try and repost it again, so if anyone else is having the same problem with the link and would like to see this method of removing ground glass stoppers, please >> click here <<
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    A gorgeous find chaplain! Have you perhaps thought of decanting a small amount into an atomiser and spraying the parfum?
    I know Chanel (and most other companies) package their extraits as dab-ons, but I have done my fair share of experimentation dabbing vs spritzing.
    You may find that vintage Chanel takes on a whole new form when applied with an atomiser. If you do give it a go, please let us know what you think.

Also, thank for the kind words about my article. Im so pleased this method worked for you! Its a method I swear by, working 9 times out of 10.

I dont know why, but for some reason, when I click on the link you pasted above, it comes up with a Page Not Found message.
    I will try and repost it again, so if anyone else is having the same problem with the link and would like to see this method of removing ground glass stoppers, please >> click here <<
    Thanks for the tip! I believe I will try decanting some and see how it goes. And thanks for reposting the link. Not sure what happened....

Congratulations and enjoy!!!
    Gary

Congratulations on your new treasure.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Woman In Gold by By Kilian

Back off, buddy!

Blog Entries

Wouldn't it have been maddening to have procured such wonderment and not have been able to share your excitement with others?

As much as Basenotes may seem to feed an insanity for fragrance, it also throws a rope ladder down the rabbit hole by allowing members to express their emotions.

I'm happy for your happiness.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago.
    The second best time is now.

Basenotes Plus

That ebay link works I can see the pic of the bottle - wow it's beautiful and has been kept wonderfully. Enjoy!

I personally have never smelled vintage No. 5 parfum. One of these days....
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Wouldn't it have been maddening to have procured such wonderment and not have been able to share your excitement with others?

As much as Basenotes may seem to feed an insanity for fragrance, it also throws a rope ladder down the rabbit hole by allowing members to express their emotions.

I'm happy for your happiness.
    You are so right, Quarry! I tried to share my acquisition with my mother, who smiled and said, "Oh. That's nice." I love that I can share my perfume passion here and everybody "gets it"

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    That ebay link works I can see the pic of the bottle - wow it's beautiful and has been kept wonderfully. Enjoy!

I personally have never smelled vintage No. 5 parfum. One of these days....
    Not sure I like the peeling paint for a backdrop, but it shows how well the bottle was kept all these years. The juice inside reflects its good storage. Soft, musky, elegant.

Congratulations, enjoy.

That's great, chaplain! Enjoy your treasure.

My matching 1950's No. 5 eau de cologne just arrived today (the impulse buy directly after getting above mentioned 1950's parfum) And as much as I'm loving the parfum, the eau de cologne is AMAZING!! I think I have found my all time favorite concentration/vintage of No. 5!

Now....to find some more of this stuff....

I tend to agree chaplain. My vintage No5 EDC knocks my vintage parfum out of the park. When I smell it from the bottle, it literally makes the hairs on my arms and neck stand on end!
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

It's fun down in the rabbit hole, isn't it? Enjoy your beautiful new treasures in good health.

LOL- at your dear mom's reaction- "That's nice" Mine would have said "you spent HOW much on that?? LOL
    Currently wearing: Pulp by Byredo

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    It's fun down in the rabbit hole, isn't it? Enjoy your beautiful new treasures in good health.

LOL- at your dear mom's reaction- "That's nice" Mine would have said "you spent HOW much on that?? LOL
    Ha! The only reason my mother did NOT gasp about the price I paid is that I preemptively explained its value. (You know...how much 1 oz of the modern parfum costs, how rare this perfect, sealed, boxed, vintage 2 oz. bottle is, etc.) Even then I got the confused, but patronizing, head nod. lol!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I tend to agree chaplain. My vintage No5 EDC knocks my vintage parfum out of the park. When I smell it from the bottle, it literally makes the hairs on my arms and neck stand on end!
    I'm with you....just opening that bottle is enough to make me swoon. I can see that my little 2 oz bottle will get used rather quickly.

Congrats on your wonderful find! My friend blind bought an EDC from the 50's and it is probably the second best incarnation of No. 5...write after the creamy, soap that is