Code of Conduct

Default 212 Men dry down?

Not quite sure if it's the dry down I'm referring to, but it's the scent left about 8+ hours after applying the fragrance onto skin... it smells amazing. I'm not very good at describing fragrances, but what I'm smelling is nothing like the previous stages of the fragrances which to me are very floral and green... rather it's sweet and perhaps a bit powdery.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? If I could find a fragrance that smells like what I'm smelling throughout the entire fragrance I'd be a very happy man!

Cheers

Default Re: 212 Men dry down?

I hear you, man - but I can't intelligently tell you what's going on. I can say, however, that I have gotten a compliment or two while wearing 212 Men well into the drydown phase. One of the only two fragrances I've been complimented on, actually. Maybe some of our super-smart colleages here can tell us what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerloo Line View Post
    I hear you, man - but I can't intelligently tell you what's going on. I can say, however, that I have gotten a compliment or two while wearing 212 Men well into the drydown phase. One of the only two fragrances I've been complimented on, actually. Maybe some of our super-smart colleages here can tell us what's going on.
    It's annoying because I have absolutely no idea what it is >.< I don't particularly enjoy the fragrance to be honest with you it's just too floral and green... the dry down on the other hand is neither floral or green; it's completely different.

Maybe I'll have to experiment and see if spraying from further away will get me to the dry down quicker... I can't be waiting 8+ hours for the dry down man! lol.

I think it's exactly what the directory says the base smells like: Sandalwood, Insence, Transparent Musk. That is a fairly powdery combo.

Seriously, a synthetic but pleasant take on that accord is actually what I smell. The top and heart notes just need time to burn off thoroughly before that accord really shines though. I agree the base of 212 is the best part. The opening gets on my nerves.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I think it's exactly what the directory says the base smells like: Sandalwood, Insence, Transparent Musk. That is a fairly powdery combo.

Seriously, a synthetic but pleasant take on that accord is actually what I smell. The top and heart notes just need time to burn off thoroughly before that accord really shines though. I agree the base of 212 is the best part. The opening gets on my nerves.
    Where'd the sweetness come from though? I don't know what sandalwood, incense or transparent musk is supposed to smell like.

Do you know of any fragrance that smells like the base of 212 men? Like I said, waiting 8+ hours for the dry down is just too long!

Thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Where'd the sweetness come from though? I don't know what sandalwood, incense or transparent musk is supposed to smell like.

Do you know of any fragrance that smells like the base of 212 men? Like I said, waiting 8+ hours for the dry down is just too long!

Thank you for your input!
    Musk can be a fairly sweet note, and certain synthetic sandalwoods have a creamy, smooth quality to them. Incense would add to the general powdery sensation. There may be some other sweet notes in there that aren't listed (a bash of benzoin maybe). I don't know of anything off the top of my head that closely mirrors 212 base, but I haven't smelled it in awhile, so I don't remember every nuance.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Musk can be a fairly sweet note, and certain synthetic sandalwoods have a creamy, smooth quality to them. Incense would add to the general powdery sensation. There may be some other sweet notes in there that aren't listed (a bash of benzoin maybe). I don't know of anything off the top of my head that closely mirrors 212 base, but I haven't smelled it in awhile, so I don't remember every nuance.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
    Ok cheers mate; much appreciated.

You know what, you might try Chanel Allure Homme Sport. It has a similar vibrant (but less green and more citrus) opening that fades to a sweeter, powdery base. I'm not sure of the technical similarities, but it behaves the same, in general. And the topnotes are a lot more pleasant. Paco Rabanne XS is another to look at.

You know what, you might try Chanel Allure Homme Sport. It has a similar vibrant (but less green and more citrus) opening that fades to a sweeter, powdery base. I'm not sure of the technical similarities, but it behaves the same, in general. And the topnotes are a lot more pleasant. Paco Rabanne XS is another to look at.
    You know what bro... I have the same problem with Allure Sport. I love the dry down of Allure sport, it's VERY nice... but it takes me AGES to get to that dry down -- which is annoying. But yeah, I've only worn it 3-4 times, I'll try it again tomorrow and see how I get on.

Hmm, maybe we should look in a completely different direction then. It sounds like you enjoy the sweet/powdery parts of scents, no matter what the topnotes are. So it's not just an issue with 212. You just like that powdery phase in general.

So, look into some powdery scents:

Boucheron Jaipur
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Burberry Brit
    Prada Amber on the cleaner side
    Dare I say --- Le Male?

Paco Rabanne XS is another to look at.
    +1.

Hmm, maybe we should look in a completely different direction then. It sounds like you enjoy the sweet/powdery parts of scents, no matter what the topnotes are. So it's not just an issue with 212. You just like that powdery phase in general.

So, look into some powdery scents:

Boucheron Jaipur
    L'Occitane Eau des Baux
    Burberry Brit
    Prada Amber on the cleaner side
    Dare I say --- Le Male?
    Will have to look into some of those. I have a sample of Le Male and I can't say I like it at all... it's TOO powdery, like baby powder... I just found it boring, but like I said I only have a sample and I haven't given it a proper wearing.

Thank you for the recommendations

For whatever reason, the note is not listed in the directory here, but it's labdanum. If you go and smell Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, you'll get a big dose of it.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense has some decent reviews -- what do you think about it? Do you think it smells similar to the dry down of 212 men, or would you say it just shares the "labdanum" note (if that is indeed what it is)?

Both Prada Pour Homme and the Intense version actually have labdanum in it, I just find it more present in the Intense version. It's a resin that's ambery and sweet which draws to mind powdery notes. Some have said it smells somewhat like ambergris, woody and musky, too - definitely an animalistic side to it.

I have both 212 and the two versions of Prada Pour Homme and I'm fairly confident it's one of the prominent notes in the base of 212. If you've smelled Le Labo's Labdanum 18, you'll recognize it amongst those other scents.

As for Prada Amber Homme Intense, I really like it. The patchouli and labdanum combo in it gives it a nice earthy, softly powered cocoa feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Both Prada Pour Homme and the Intense version actually have labdanum in it, I just find it more present in the Intense version. It's a resin that's ambery and sweet which draws to mind powdery notes. Some have said it smells somewhat like ambergris, woody and musky, too - definitely an animalistic side to it.

I have both 212 and the two versions of Prada Pour Homme and I'm fairly confident it's one of the prominent notes in the base of 212. If you've smelled Le Labo's Labdanum 18, you'll recognize it amongst those other scents.

As for Prada Amber Homme Intense, I really like it. The patchouli and labdanum combo in it gives it a nice earthy, softly powered cocoa feel to it.
    Might have to check it out then! Like I said earlier, I love the dry down of Allure Homme Sport (once all the citrus has gone, I get a powdery, deep, warm kind of smell) I wonder if that's the amber/labdanum too? If so then I might have found a note that I really enjoy!

Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by Eildor View Post
    Might have to check it out then! Like I said earlier, I love the dry down of Allure Homme Sport (once all the citrus has gone, I get a powdery, deep, warm kind of smell) I wonder if that's the amber/labdanum too? If so then I might have found a note that I really enjoy!

Cheers mate
    It very most likely is as it has amber in its base. My guess is you're drawn to scents with labdanum and/or amber in them somewhere. It's not uncommon to find yourself with a bunch of bottles that, when you break them down, you find have a couple of common elements. The scents may smell different overall, but it's like having a common ingredient in food (for me, I'm a sucker for raspberries).