Code of Conduct

Default New York Times article about 1960's Vintage Colognes for Men

Hey Guys!
    I was interviewed for an article in The New York Times that was published today about 1960's era vintage colognes for men. I'd thought I'd share it with you guys...it's a nice quick read. It looks like Grant Osborne of Basenotes.net was also interviewed for it. Thanks and enjoy!

"That Man Smells Familiar"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/fa...?smid=fb-share

~Alan
    ~Alan
    stores.ebay.com/ePerfumery
    Beverly Hills Perfumery

If you buy anything from my eBay store, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TELL ME YOU ARE A BASENOTES MEMBER!!! I will throw in a bonus sample or mini!

WANTED FOR SWAP: B*Men, Pure Coffee, Angel Ice Man

Default Re: New York Times article about 1960's Vintage Colognes for Men

Great read- Thanks for sharing this. "Smell like a man, man" Love it
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for this.

Good read, thanks for posting the link.

Hey Alan - thanks for sharing this article, very well written and it includes our Grant.

Thanks for the link! I am enjoying this 60s retro thing that seems to have kicked in post Mad Men.

Excellent article, and I'm particularly fascinated by the sales figures for classic scents in France. Given how many new and exclusive offerings are surely available there, I'm a bit surprised to see the older fragrances still selling so robustly. Glad these are doing well, as I'm a pretty big fan of older scents.

There's a degree of truth in this where women are concerned. I put Aramis on a couple of weeks ago and my girlfriend went weak at the knees. She loves it when I wear Cartier Santos Concentree too. Her favourite fragrances on me are woodsy spicy warm fragrances. She also has a thing for tobacco or patchouli based fragrances.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I laughed at this quote: “That might speak to how society has changed — you didn’t have metrosexuals in the 1960s..."

Do they know about things like Glam Rock? And what was the Austin Powers character based upon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I laughed at this quote: “That might speak to how society has changed — you didn’t have metrosexuals in the 1960s..." Do they know about things like Glam Rock? And what was the Austin Powers character based upon?
    While I really did enjoy this article, it does suffer from that special brand of "breathless reporting", where excitement is the goal, and reality suffers. Still, it's always fun to read about those wonderful "classics" and "the days when men were men...".

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Nice! I would imagine Basenotes will get a basketfull of hits from the link too. Thanks and a tip of the Nose Warmer to The Sniff Master
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Thanks for sharing the link. I like reading articles like this ( very few of them !), although Bigsly brought up a good point ( and Kevin as well with regards to "breathless reporting").
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

" Acqua di Gio popularized the light, quiescent “aquatic” accord that dominates men’s fragrances today and has inspired countless imitators — “a slew of apologetic, bloodless, gray, whippetlike, shivering little things that are probably impossible, and certainly pointless, to tell apart,” Mr. Turin said."

Bahahahaha, great quote!!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    Great read- Thanks for sharing this. "Smell like a man, man" Love it
    Oh my gosh, have you never seen the Old Spice Guy commercials?

"It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

My wife digs the classics on me (Kouros, Bel Ami, etc.)

I like the article and I love classic scents. Have to say, I think a lot of people will read that and go out and buy Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. : /

Could the moderators merge this with the pre-existing thread?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/286...ar-NYT-Article

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link, Alan! And thanks for representing scent enthusiasts so well!

"The introduction last year of Bleu de Chanel, which despite its sport-aquatic-sounding name is considered a woody aromatic, was a sign that the pendulum is swinging toward earthier accords; it became the No. 3 best-selling men’s scent in the United States."
    WOO-HOO! Chanel plants its flag on Armani territory!

I laughed at this quote: “That might speak to how society has changed — you didn’t have metrosexuals in the 1960s..."

Do they know about things like Glam Rock? And what was the Austin Powers character based upon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    While I really did enjoy this article, it does suffer from that special brand of "breathless reporting", where excitement is the goal, and reality suffers. Still, it's always fun to read about those wonderful "classics" and "the days when men were men...".
    LOL

It almost make me think that, thanks to a minor retro trend, approval to ditch aquatics is about to be given by the mainstream!

Glam Rock was a 70s thing. Austin Powers was based in the psychedelic rock era.
    Renato

Thanks. That was a good read.

The interesting point is that that article unambiguously talks about masculine scents, and of women perceiving them that way.
    Note that this is the exact opposite position to the notion often expressed here that "Scents have no gender".
    Renato

Forgive the dumb question, but are these vintage scents still being made, or are there stores selling old stock or something?

This was a good read. Thanks for pointing us to it.