Code of Conduct

Default What do you think of Avon fragrances? Bang for the buck?

I remember as a kid my mom bought me some Avon fragrance and then for Christmas I get more Avon fragrance... Sometimes I get 2 of the same... I got older and I forgot what I did to them??? I don't quite remember what Avon products smells like because I did not care much about fragrance when you're 12 years old. What do you think of Avon fragrances? All I know is that they are very cheap...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: What do you think of Avon fragrances? Bang for the buck?

I could never imagine a Avon fragrance been in my top 1000 fragrances let alone top twenty. Cheap and a step down from the basic drug store scents.

I only know Black Suede Touch and Tomorrow. They sure are good value for money if you enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I could never imagine a Avon fragrance been in my top 1000 fragrances let alone top twenty. Cheap and a step down from the basic drug store scents.
    Agree.

I really like Black Suede Touch. It has nothing just positive reviews in directory. If it only had better longevity (right now its about- hours) it would be 5 stars for me.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Blog Entries

It is surprising to read that some people would never purchase an Avon fragrance! Somehow this judgment appears to ignore the fact that the same fragrance houses and star perfumers who create for Estee Lauder, LVMH, Puig, etc. also work on Avon briefs and supply the Avon juices. If one does not like the Avon brand, fair enough, but Avon definitely delivers "bang for the buck" as they do not use inferior blends/ingredients. In fact, Avon are incredibly demanding about fragrance quality and they have some of the toughest toxicology guidelines. I like to smell with my nose rather than my eyes.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I think Tomorrow is a very good frag. Mass market doesn't have to be low quality, and Avon proves that.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Before the 2000s, their fragrances are very cheap (in smell, but in price too) and all of them give me headache.
    Now they have some good fragrances (the Fergie was not bad at all, just generic, but not low quality and headache indulcing, like the 90s and older stuff)

Blog Entries

Not to belabor the issue, but for the sake of reality, Avon fragrances have been created and supplied by the global fragrance house leaders for decades. We need to separate perception from facts. There is nothing "cheap" about Avon formulae in terms of raw materials or chemicals used. Sorry, but I haved worked on briefs and I know the cost parameters. Again, it is okay to dislike Avon as a brand, but saying that their perfumes are "cheap" is incorrect. Brands that sell in drugstores, e.g. Stetson, Brut, Old Spice, etc. all contain high quality ingredients and the formulae may, in fact, be more expensive than fragrances in prestige brands and they certainly must and do meet all the quality and tox regulations and requirements. I am not associated with Avon in any way, shape or form and I am not even a user, but we need to separate myth from reality in the spirit of fairness and talking facts.

It seems the waters run deep here at basenotes and I trust the good subjective members to weigh in fairly if/when an Avon offering matches up to what is being discussed.

Black Suede was given a thumbs up (back when) and so when I had the opportunity I tried it, liked it, bought it, and use it. It was never propped up to the likes of Chanel's Cuir d'Russie or Knize 10, etc., nor would I even suggest it belongs in such discussions. But it is economical and satisfying to me.

That said, I've not heard tell of any Avon offering that matches up to many of the raves. I'd love to learn that Avon has something that could possibly compete with the likes of Ford's TV, By Kilians Back to Black, Guerlain's Double Vanille, Malle's Musc Ravageur, etc. If what you say about 'reality' is true, then my logic and reasoning side tells me that I'd hear more Avon in these discussions.

I've spent way too much time around here and kept an open ear elsewhere to not be absolutely floored if that be the case. But, I'd like to think I've maintained an open mind about these things.

Black Suede is a classic that is a steal for the price

Blog Entries

Chanel and Guerlain have in-house perfumers and they set trends. Avon is more of a follower with an offering that pleases the mass consumer with "familiar" scents. It is becoming increasingly difficult to find true innovation in fragrance themes. Men's fragrances for the most part remain in the aromatic fougere (Drakkar Noir, Cool Water) area and semi-orientals (Obsession, Minotaure, Zino Davidoff). Chanel and Guerlain cater to a different segment in the market and I am a huge fan of Habit Rouge, Vetiver, Anteus, Bleu, etc. I agree with you that this is a different league as is Creed. However, since I was objecting to the attribute "cheap", I know that formulae for Aramis, Boss, Lacoste, etc. are not appreciably more expensive than the ones created for Avon. In fact, the opposite might be true due to the purchasing power and the prestige for the perfume houses involved by winning the brands. The fragrance industry is very consolidated now and even Guerlain has started to brief outside. Take into consideration the restrictions or outright bans of more than a hundred existing ingredients and the expense of creating new molecules, it is becoming much more difficult to create perfumes that are really different. The fragrances by Chanel and Guerlain that are old are no longer sold in their original form and that includes Chanel No.5 either due to cost or IFRA/RIFM restrictions or both. I do very much appreciate the comments about Guerlain and Chanel. A truly unique and different fragrance is also the original unisex Comme des Garcons scent. Hard to find, but still brilliant.

Another vote for Black Suede Touch - awesome affordable scent

Basenotes Member

Recently a friend bought Tomorrow For Her for me and I must say I was very happy with the quality. It's a lovely floral musk that doesn't smell watered down or cheap and it has good longevity and good sillage. It lacks the sophistication of some of my favorite perfumes, but I enjoy wearing it and was proud to add it to my wardrobe.

I remember they had something called intrigue that they discontinued it 6 years ago.
    I used to buy it when I was 7-10 years old and it was really nice,one of the best vanilla scent I have smelled.
    also I used to like mesmerize , tomorrow , surrender but I think they no longer produced too.
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

I've tried two Avon's; one is Ironman which is a good "woody"(?) scent with decent longevity. The other is Jet which also is named as a woody scent. Personally I find the wood-notes there so tiny that it's close to be non-existent, the same goes for the sillage/projection and longevity. But again, Ironman is rather good in my opinion

I've tried quite a few Avon's growing up and by far the best that I've tried has to be "Coastline." I just got a 3.4 bottle off of ebay about 2 weeks ago for nostalgic reasons. It's a discontinued frag also so it's a little harder to find. At least to my nose it isn't harsh or heavy on the alcohol like some of the others I've had. I also have an old bottle of hisSTORY and its not bad either. Really green and grassy but respectably decent.