Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A new, BETTER L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme????

According to Miguel below, this scent has uncanny resemblance to LIDGE, and in his opinion is better, with more sillage/longevity. This comparison begins at 8:25.

That's a bold statement, obviously. Has anyone sampled this/get a similar impression? I haven't had the chance to try it yet.

Also, it is quite expensive but apparently it is a ONE sprayer, 2 in the dead of winter, so that helps.

Last edited by Jridgen; 22nd October 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Default Re: A new, BETTER L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme????

well, it is about 5 times the price? so i guess u can take him up for it, havent tried it tho

If it's stronger than l'instant edp then it's worse imo, I'm not trying to choke the people around me.

I get 12 hours of longevity out of L'Instant Extreme and I am comfortable with the sillage any more than this will be too much. Though Nasomatto's offering could be a option for people who are having trouble finding the good stuff.

I have a sample of it and have worn it twice. I'd say it's less spicy and more smooth than L'instant. I get a faint floral note, which is supposedly Magnolia, but who knows. I quite like it. I couldn't really choose between the two, but I would personally keep Pardon for more formal occasions.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'll take L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme anytime.

God, I'm so glad I don't refer to Youtube for fragrance reviews...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    +1

With all due respect for the effort that goes into making them...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'll take L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme anytime.
    Me too. However, Miguel is absolutely right about the comparison to L'Instant PH Extreme. Without seeing that anywhere else, I came to exactly the same conclusion.

CanwllCorfe is also describing it the way I smell it. It's not that similar to LIPHE for most of its duration, but there is a phase where the resemblance is strong. And if I had to come up with ONE fragrance to call similar in overall fragrance, as opposed to style, structure, or the like, Extreme would likely be it.

Here was my review.

YouTube or not, I'm in total agreement with the guy. Were it not for the funky note that ruins my day, this would be a great fragrance.

PS - and with respect to Miguel, but like Trebor and Jim, I prefer the written review as well. That being said, Miguel has a lot of great information on wearability, longevity, blind-buyability, and other things that his viewership loves. Leave the poetry to the bloggers (or maybe just for a good laugh!)

Sur la Plage

Pardon is an excellent fragrance - but doesn't have a damn thing to do with L'Instant PH Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    CanwllCorfe is also describing it the way I smell it. It's not that similar to LIPHE for most of its duration, but there is a phase where the resemblance is strong. And if I had to come up with ONE fragrance to call similar in overall fragrance, as opposed to style, structure, or the like, Extreme would likely be it.
    I'm not sure why I didn't mention it in my response, but yes I definitely agree on the L'instant de Guerlain similarity. I'd probably get it if it wasn't so expensive.

As for YouTube reviews, I agree. I think we have a pretty skillful and perspicuous bunch here (I'm looking at you Red and you Off-Scenter and you foetidus and a plethora of others) who all have oodles of experience. You can't feign experience.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Pardon is an excellent fragrance - but doesn't have a damn thing to do with L'Instant PH Extreme.
    How do you experience it, Joe? I'm wondering what similarities and prominent features are the things that you really love about it.

The reason I'm asking is that you are NOT an easy mark for a fragrance. You pass up a lot of fairly respectable fragrances, but you jumped on Pardon damn fast. That, just in itself, says a lot for this frag.

My opinion: not much resemblance to LIDGE. Both have their own personality and both are good. I prefer Pardon due to it's stronger manly character. Or in a woman's words, written in a german blog: "That's how a man has to smell"... I could agree.

I wouldn't trust the guy. I think he has no darn clue as to what he's saying. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hiroyoruzuka View Post
    I wouldn't trust the guy. I think he has no darn clue as to what he's saying. lol
    LMAO

I couldn't agree more, this guy is weirdo and thoroughly creeps me out. What's up with the people from Canada anyways? Geesh can we say medication.......

smooches Migs haha

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    i couldn't agree more, this guy is weirdo and thoroughly creeps me out. What's up with the people from canada anyways? Geesh can we say medication.......
    hhahhahahahahhahaha oh dan

As I see it,

Youtube reviews: It's your average guy reviewing fragrances. What does John Doe from down the block think of so-and-so scent. Definitely worth watching for a casual straight forward opinion of a fragrance. It is great to see how others see a fragrance

Basenotes: If you really want to learn what a fragrance is all about, there is no source better. We (since I am not a big poster I feel awkward using 'we') have members here who have reviewed fragrances for years and years and are truly accomplished critiques of fragrances.

If we use movies as an example. I can either go on a) IMDB.com and get a user-based understanding of how well / poor a movie is, or b) I could go on metacritic.com and see what the professionals / experienced critics think of a movie.

In conclusion, both sources are great.

Well said Serjery. Too much basenotes will suck the joy out of enjoying fragrances (neurotic thinking about reformulations, limited releases, etc) but is also very informative.

It's too bad Trebor, you never know...even you could learn a thing or two from a youtube review. Life brings opinions and experiences to everyone differently. I feel To refuse to hear is ignorance while choosing to listen is knowledge at it's purest.

Sorry, I don't get this immediate reaction to youtube reviews as if they were automatically less informed just because they are on youtube.

So if Chandler Burr or Luca Turin (or some critic whose opinion you respect, if you don't respect these two) were all of a sudden to start doing youtube reviews, they would be worthless?

It doesn't matter if it's on youtube or words on a page, if it is interesting and informative, it's useful.

There are bad critics on basenotes and there are bad critics on youtube, it is the quality that counts, not the medium (in this case, at least).

Personally I found that review very interesting, and he certainly was not just your "average guy" either! Would the average guy talk about the complexity of top notes (or be reviewing "Nasomatto Pardon" for that matter)?!??

I like the youtube reviews.

@gtsb, couldn't have said it better myself. :>}

Not gonna talk about my self, but about fellow youtuber that I know of. Most have been studying and dedication themselves a lot to be doing what they do. It's pretty much easier to hide yourself under a page like this, clueless paraphrasing others, than showing yourself to thw world and showing the results of your work and dedication. I can garantee that most of the guys on youtube, have tables of essential oils larger than your fragrance colletion, and have been exposed to hundreds if not thousands more fragrances than the avarege BN user. Not only that, the beauty of taking about a fragrance is the same as abstract arts. Your life experiences will make enormous difference in the way you percieve the smell.
    So concluding, I rather see smiles, sad faces, and anyother reaction, then false written words from clueless minds, mainly parrots.

I hope my wording of average guy wasn't taken in a wrong sense. By average guy I meant to say that a lot of YouTube reviewers don't classify themselves as fragrance experts, thst consider themselves as people who enjoy fragrances as a hobby and enjoy sharing their informed opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serjery View Post
    As I see it,

Youtube reviews: It's your average guy reviewing fragrances. What does John Doe from down the block think of so-and-so scent. Definitely worth watching for a casual straight forward opinion of a fragrance. It is great to see how others see a fragrance

Basenotes: If you really want to learn what a fragrance is all about, there is no source better. We (since I am not a big poster I feel awkward using 'we') have members here who have reviewed fragrances for years and years and are truly accomplished critiques of fragrances.

If we use movies as an example. I can either go on a) IMDB.com and get a user-based understanding of how well / poor a movie is, or b) I could go on metacritic.com and see what the professionals / experienced critics think of a movie.

In conclusion, both sources are great.
    I agree - both are great.

Personally, I think the YouTube phenomenon is one of the most hopeful parts of the current renaissance of fragrance. It's a bit like the early pioneers of digital computing who revolutionized society from their garages. While the UNIX guys were on campuses, in labs, and doing the DARPA, guys in garages brought some of the most significant and people-friendly computing to the masses. Windows, Mac, PGP - all this great stuff came from the people themselves. Olfactory culture seems to be growing wild just the same. It's like an underground fragrance literacy movement - people are teaching themselves the language of olfaction in the same way a lot of us taught ourselves programming languages.

The guys who are YouTubing now are going to be the "experts" of tomorrow - if they aren't already. It's a different format - a different code - but it's the same information. It's VB versus managed C++, but it interconverts. I am really pleased by the ability of the YouTube reviewers to analyze fragrances intelligently. They don't have the experience of the truly senior BNers like scentemental, foetidus, Off-scenter, and company, but compared to intermediate-level fragrance types like me (3-4 years), they're every bit as perceptive and expressive, if not more so. I was getting some good new stuff from miguel's review.

I see it more as simply written word versus video. Some of us blogger types graduate to bigger written stuff, whereas I think a lot of video guys are going to be graduating to big-time video stuff. I could totally see miguel or marc on G4 and similar channels.

The difference is, they are cool when they do it - and they aren't looking at hip replacements in the near future.

I'm impressed by the people who do the youtube reviews. guys that look like gang members, some look like they're 14 years old, I mean it's EVERYTHING. I love that aspect. It makes me think of this as a more global hobby that my mis-perception of this especially niche frag hobby being limited to rich middle aged and older folks. It's really refreshing to see.

Thank you, gtsb. I've never understood the immediate bias response to YouTubers. Like you said, there are some really well informed youtubers and some not so much; same goes for basenoters. There are tons of people just starting out, and they use youtube to share their thoughts as they learn and get more experienced. Lots of them use basenotes as well.

We should welcome the newbies with open arms (on basenotes and youtube).. otherwise, how the f are we going to learn?

On basenotes, there are reviewers who, yes, have been reviewing for years...but same goes for youtube.
    I am not by any means saying that I 100% know what I am talking about (lets be honest -- I dont), but i've been obsessed with learning about fragrance for about um...10+ years. I am forever-learning and always doubt myself, but im sure all the experts here on basenotes doubt them selves from time to time as well.

I guess what I am trying to say, simply is: same shit, different pile. (Same group of people, different medium)

I see my post was a few minutes too late! haha. Where is the "like" button on here when you need it!? So many posts i want to like!

LIKE >>> Frunk, Vitor (vmendonc), Redneck, and cameron, gtsb and of course HIRO!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Thank you! Joe.

Cformosa4, you have just summed upany people's feeling and thoughts...ESPECIALLY mine, thank you. Well said and again could not have said it better.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

I wouldn't trust the guy.
    he does look sketchy

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Yeah I would reiterate what cformosa said. It is not the medium which is important, but the individual. On any public fragrance community, whether youtube or basenotes you will get groups of beginners and more respected participants. Any person can write a review on basenotes and any person can post a video.. Some enjoy reading written reviews, some enjoy watching videos.. I am sure some enjoy both. I believe one thing is important no matter what medium you choose to use, Don't be a pretentious snob

Quote Originally Posted by vmendonc View Post
    Not gonna talk about my self, but about fellow youtuber that I know of. Most have been studying and dedication themselves a lot to be doing what they do. It's pretty much easier to hide yourself under a page like this, clueless paraphrasing others, than showing yourself to thw world and showing the results of your work and dedication. I can garantee that most of the guys on youtube, have tables of essential oils larger than your fragrance colletion, and have been exposed to hundreds if not thousands more fragrances than the avarege BN user. Not only that, the beauty of taking about a fragrance is the same as abstract arts. Your life experiences will make enormous difference in the way you percieve the smell.
    So concluding, I rather see smiles, sad faces, and anyother reaction, then false written words from clueless minds, mainly parrots.
    So... writing is for false, clueless, cowardly, parrot-like sheeple, and posting videos of yourself on the internet is for courageous, experienced, virtuous people. Smells like a load of bullsh*t to me. Lets face it, 99% of youtube is just attention whores acting the fool on camera. Granted there's plenty of nonsense going on here on basenotes, but this is one of the most braindead, anti-intellectual posts I've ever seen here. Seriously? False written words from clueless minds? It's amazing that humanity has made it this far in history with only the parrot-like bleating of the thinkers who have gone before to guide us. Thank god that future generations will have the pantheon of youtube fragrance reviewers as well as classics like Star Wars Kid, Epic Beard Man, Angry Video Game Nerd, Angry Black Man and other luminaries to show them the way.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    So... writing is for false, clueless, cowardly, parrot-like sheeple, and posting videos of yourself on the internet is for courageous, experienced, virtuous people. Smells like a load of bullsh*t to me.
    I agree. That's an egregiously ignorant post.
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

So that post vmendonc made about falsely generalizing everyone who writes written reviews pisses people off right? Take that concept and understand why you believe it to be a ridiculous claim.. Now go back to previous comments doing exactly that against people who are on youtube.. If anyone is intelligent enough they will see it is two sides of the same coin. I think it is ignorant to lump everyone up into one category merely based on the medium. Writing a review or creating a video does not make one more qualified than the other. A lot of the people on youtube doing reviews are also basenoters. I think everyone in the community has and shows a lot of respect for this one, why can't people here do the same. It is like some kind of caddy, primadonna/ war that is ridiculous. If your most famed basenote reviewer decided to start making videos does that make anything he had to say less credible?

Most YouTube reviewers are Basenotes members. We're all the same people. Saying you think YouTube reviewers have less valuable opinions is childish and ignorant. I get tired of the arrogance that I read from certain people on here sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by IpaladinXI View Post
    So that post vmendonc made about falsely generalizing everyone who writes written reviews pisses people off right? Take that concept and understand why you believe it to be a ridiculous claim.. Now go back to previous comments doing exactly that against people who are on youtube.. If anyone is intelligent enough they will see it is two sides of the same coin. I think it is ignorant to lump everyone up into one category merely based on the medium. Writing a review or creating a video does not make one more qualified than the other. A lot of the people on youtube doing reviews are also basenoters. I think everyone in the community has and shows a lot of respect for this one, why can't people here do the same. It is like some kind of caddy, primadonna/ war that is ridiculous. If your most famed basenote reviewer decided to start making videos does that make anything he had to say less credible?
    Perfect Summary IpaladinXI . The two different sides of the same exact coin. A youtube reviewer is no different than a basenote or any other written media reviewer. The medium is different. That's it.

WOW, you guys are ALL beaches! ok?! look at you fools! arguing over FRAGRANCES? ok?! Its a luxury product. Its not life or death. Its not war, its not politics, its not love. Its NOT IMPORTANT. Have respect for everyone trying to get into fragrances. They are an amazing luxury item that many people love. They invest many many many hours on trying to explore the fragrance world. And JUST because you have spent more time than another, you are NOT BETTER THAN THEM! You've just spent more time. And on medium over another? WHO CARES? The goal is the same! Why bash each other and try to divide the knowledge between others? Stupidest thing I ve ever seen. I follow Miguel. One of the coolest, funniest, and knowledgeable dudes out there. STFU, and get along with one another. Opnions are what make BN and YT so knowledgeable. Ignorance and absence of humility is NOT.

I am alot more involved on YouTube than I am on Basenotes. Being on YouTube does not mean you have more credential to voice your opinions about a certain fragrance and the same with Basenotes, I don't think people on Basenotes educationalwise, informationwise, and overall are more superior than people on YoutTube and etc... Mutual respect is what keeps us doing what we like to do.

Thanks, But I think they are simply implying that the current people in the community are just idiots.. They have a right to their opinion. But one good thing about youtube videos when compared to written reviews is that if you do happen to find a reviewer you share a commonality of taste with, it makes having to search through 100's of written reviews of not knowing who's opinion to trust a little easier. And I find it a little more personalized and enjoyable to internalize. But that is merely personal preference nothing more

Blog Entries

Grant puts up some great videos on thedrydown.com - I sort of think that sooner or later there should be a Video tab here, just like there's a Forum tab and a Blog tab. Not only would it help build bridges - it might encourage more people to check out the other medium and take part. When the forum gets slow, we could check out the videos. Sure, people can do it now, but it might make it interesting for those of us who are mostly on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Grant puts up some great videos on thedrydown.com - I sort of think that sooner or later there should be a Video tab here, just like there's a Forum tab and a Blog tab. Not only would it help build bridges - it might encourage more people to check out the other medium and take part. When the forum gets slow, we could check out the videos. Sure, people can do it now, but it might make it interesting for those of us who are mostly on the forum.
    That's a really good idea!
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Blog Entries

Well, if the YouTube people like it, just report my post above a bunch of times, and I'm sure Grant will hear about it!

I'll def check Grants site out. And keep your eye out because I've been working on a new website as well. I would like to create a website based on fragrance reviewers from all over the world and all different mediums combined. I want people to be able to go to one website where all of our YouTube and written blog style reviews can be found. Where all of us fragrance addicts can gain knowledge as share information without the boundaries of dissemination.
    Not gonna happen overnight, but its in the works. :>}

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frunkinator View Post
    I'll def check Grants site out. And keep your eye out because I've been working on a new website as well. I would like to create a website based on fragrance reviewers from all over the world and all different mediums combined. I want people to be able to go to one website where all of our YouTube and written blog style reviews can be found. Where all of us fragrance addicts can gain knowledge as share information without the boundaries of dissemination.
    Not gonna happen overnight, but its in the works. :>}
    Cool! I know that Google tries to bring some organization to their video subcultures, but you really almost need an insider to understand these communities enough to build something that really gets the nuances.

Ehemm!
    Are we still on the same original subject of this post?
    Jeez!

Honestly I don't understand how the subject of comparing Pardon and L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme is so harshly different on here just because there is a video that goes along with it. It's one man's opinion. Everyone has them. Just because he uses his actual voice to add his opinion to the fragrance community does not mean he is any less of a community member than the next. If this was a link to a blog I highly doubt someone would be posting "God, I'm so glad I don't refer to your blog for fragrance reviews..." Whether your route of input into this community is via text or a video, give it a rest. No one person is superior to another. Like Ivan said, get back to the subject. As for me, I haven't smelled Pardon so i'm not going to give my two cents

I really like all the youtube reviews, people from different backgrounds with many levels of experience, you dont only get the words but you get the body language as well, so important when trying to convey something which can be really hard to describe sometimes. I really dont understand why there should ever be any hate generated by it, The youtube community really enriches this hobby. So big praise from me to all bloggers and reviewers!

As a big big fan of L'instant extreme I'm very curious to try out Pardon!
    Last edited by humptydumpty; 24th October 2011 at 12:47 PM.

I honestly don't see the point of the occasional bad blood between Basenoters and Youtube fragrance reviewers. I mean in the end we all have one thing in common that should unite us and bring us closer together, FRAGRANCES! Instead our opinions on them and mainly how we choose to share our experience with them to the world is what seems to drive us apart. I have learned a lot and been able to experience some amazing fragrances thanks to some amazing basenoters (Some of which are also Youtubers), and I have also learned a lot and been able to experience some amazing fragrances thanks to some Youtubers.

Now I myself am not a great example of a youtube reviewer and I sure as hell am not a great example of a basenotes reviewer. I curse like a sailor, I don't care if I come off as a professional since no one is paying me, and I don't like to be filtered or censored. But that does not make my love of fragrances any less pure then a person who conducts himself in a more professional manner. I love reading reviews on basenotes, as I love watching reviews on youtube. I will admit I like watching videos reviews more because I am a visual person and like seeing a reviewers reaction, and reading a reviewers body language.

That being said, I love watching Hiro's reviews he brings the fragrances to life in his reviews with his energy, his body language, and his unique descriptions of the fragrances. Do I have to agree with his opinion NO, but you better believe I respect his opinion and his amazing ability to deliver his opinion. There are also many great reviewers on here that have the amazing ability to paint a beautiful picture in a reader's mind with their written reviews. If those reviewers were to make a videos, would they be as effective maybe, maybe not who knows. If successful youtube reviewer began to only do written reviews would be be as successful who knows. In the end in my opinion neither type of reviewer is better or worst, they are merely expressing their opinion in the best way they know how, in the medium they feel most comfortable in.

That's just my two cents on the matter, I mean its tough enough having to get defend your passion to people who don't understand it, without a person who should be your allie cutting you down as well. LOL
    “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” - Sir Oscar Wilde

We've deviated from the topic. Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pigasus27

Woah... wait... did someone just talk crap about epic beard man? Well, I'm just gonna call da ambalamps for you now, you're gonna need it.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme lasts for over 16 hours on me. I have had compliments on it 8 hours after spraying it on.
    So there is nothing wrong with the sillage and longevity.
    It is one of the strongest fragrances in my wardrobe.

He lost me at, "Are you all ready for some Hiro hype?? Are you all ready for thisss?" *snaps fingers, sparkles on screen, Exclusive.* That dude is clearly too cool for me. I giggled a little.

But, I have been excited to smell this scent for awhile. I have never smelled a Nasomatto.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Or, in other words, "a frigging 12 minute Youtube video review of a mediocre niche fragrance?!! WTF?!!"

Quote Originally Posted by mickers View Post
    I couldn't agree more, this guy is weirdo and thoroughly creeps me out. What's up with the people from Canada anyways? Geesh can we say medication.......
    Haha awwwww Dan. Play nice... go review some more lady-fragrances. You rocked those....

Hiro has some great reviews for the younger crowd who wants to move beyond Coolwater and Le Male... props to him for that!

I think there is now a consensus that all of this "youtube" vs. "basenotes" nonsense is puerile and ridiculous. I for one consider that case closed.

However, to get back on topic, I am rather curious about the response to the fragrance itself.

We have people on this thread who have suggested Pardon is an excellent scent, and they find it interesting or compelling--all comparisons to Guerlain aside (Hiro said it had a "similar vibe" to LDGI, not that it always smelled the same).

We have others who say this is a "mediocre niche" scent (Trebor).

I would like to hear reasons from people who have tried it why people find it either an excellent scent, and from the others that think it is not so great, why is it mediocre. This would be particularly useful for those of us who are unable to try it out and see if it is worth ordering samples or a decant eventually.