Code of Conduct

Thread: Fake eyelashes

Default Fake eyelashes

I tried to do this tonight for the first time. What a disaster. I got the right side on okay, except the medial part was a little bit too high, but I faked it out with some black eyeliner. And then, came the left side. First, I dropped it, and of course, everyone knows, fake eyelashes always land adhesive side down. Then, I spent about 4 minutes cleaning dust-bunnies off my lashes. Then, I reapplied the adhesive, only to have it go, "GLURP!" Which meant, I ended up with another 10 minutes cleaning off the adhesive, and then another 5 minutes trying to straighten the kinked lashes. Then I got it on, only to have the medial part a bit lower than the other side, and when I tried covering it with eyeliner, it peeled off. So I ripped them both off -- ouch, not a good thing to do -- and said, "the hell with it."

Any tips for next time?
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Default Re: Fake eyelashes

Okay, gonna try again this weekend.

Here's a video I found of someone demonstrating eyelash installation. It seems so straight-forward, but it didn't seem that way last month for me! I think the key is not being rushed. Zen and the art of Eyelash work. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJUtCwDIxds&feature=player_embedded
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

summer means fireflys

Thank you for the link ... very helpful. OMG! Some people actually use tweezers to apply???! I would poke my eye out!

I've never used falsies. I think they would bug too much ...

Have you seen the feather eyelashes? These are actually fairly tame, compared to some out there ...

Last edited by shadesofbleu; 27th November 2011 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I've never used falsies. I think they would bug too much ...

Have you seen the feather eyelashes? These are actually fairly tame, compared to some out there ...

Yeah, I saw some make-over show on TV many months back, in which they used them. It was for Vegas showgirls. As a practical application, I don't think I would use them either.

I am so happy! I successfully put on TWO false lashes yesterday, and they were actually somewhat symmetric! It does get easier with practice! They do bug a little bit. I have that bit of blur in my peripheral vision, as if I've got something caught in my lashes (which I do!). So, luckily, I did not need to do any driving yesterday.

Instructions always say to apply make-up *BEFORE* putting on the lashes. It doesn't make sense to me. The make-up, especially if it's powder, kind of prevents a good adhesion, I would think. Next time, I shall try applying before make-up application. It just seems to make more sense to me, but maybe I'm missing something in the concept??
    Last edited by Aiona; 12th December 2011 at 08:43 AM.

Yes, practice makes perfect with false eyelashes, liquid eyeliner, etc. I have worn false eyelashes for Halloween when it didn't really matter how expertly they were applied, but not for anything else. Now, I'm so blind - even with my magnifying mirror - that I can barely even apply mascara. I don't like the feel of glop on my eyes anyway. I'll put on some mascara for evening events, but otherwise I don't even wear that. Ah, to be young and cute again.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Ah, to be young and cute again.
    Lilybelle, having met you, you could not be any cuter- what skin, what hair, what a figure!! Youth is wasted on the young, eh.
    I am a happy old broad.

I generally forego makeup of any kind at work, but last week I had on some mascara and eye shadow and the young gal co-workers were amazed that the old grey mare knew to apply it. LOL! Which brings me to the point- Aiona, apply the glue to the lashes with a clean toothpick and you won't have the gloopy glue problem.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    Lilybelle, having met you, you could not be any cuter- what skin, what hair, what a figure!! Youth is wasted on the young, eh.
    I am a happy old broad.

Goodness, Knit, you are waaaay too kind. I need to print that out and tape it to the bathroom mirror. I agree with you that youth really is wasted on the young. The older I get, the happier I become. That is true.

I generally forego makeup of any kind at work, but last week I had on some mascara and eye shadow and the young gal co-workers were amazed that the old grey mare knew to apply it. LOL! Which brings me to the point- Aiona, apply the glue to the lashes with a clean toothpick and you won't have the gloopy glue problem.
    Lol! I've been wearing makeup the past couple of weeks after not bothering for ages now, and people have been commenting. I guess it does make a big difference, but I think it only looks better from far away. When I look in the magnifying mirror, I think makeup makes me look older and masky.

Shazayam! I do remember now...that is how you do the glue. Toothpicks are so underrated.

apply the glue to the lashes with a clean toothpick and you won't have the gloopy glue problem.
    I will definitely try that next time. Some people are addicted to getting piercings. Some are addicted to getting tattoos. I just saw a video of someone applying LOWER lashes (warning annoying background music), and I figure that will be my next attempt. It's a totally useless skill. I am not a model. I rarely ever have occasion to even wear an evening dress. But it's so fun to get it right! 'Better than playing a video game, anyway!

Edit: She applies lashes *first* then shadow.
    Last edited by Aiona; 14th December 2011 at 10:02 AM.

I had a friend who (long ago, when we were in our 20s) used to draw lower lashes on Twiggy style.

Like this but actually drawn on with a pencil...

They were cute! This was for going to a club, not for wearing to the office or anything.

I have some fake lashes that I was never able to apply. I tried several times for Halloween with no success.
    Tomorrow I am going to a party and I will try again. Although I can't imagine what you would do if they fall off after you left the house. I wonder if you can cut them. The ones I have (2 pairs) are over 1in long. A bit much, for non-Halloween occasions.

Basenotes Plus

lashes are trimmable
    A Scent Rescuer

lashes are trimmable
    Yup yup! The video above shows someone who uses bottom lashes in two parts. I've also seen that one can trim the lengths to make a sharper or subtler taper, as one chooses. Generally the outer lashes are longer. So if one trims the width, one may need to adjust the inner lashes' length.

Victory! I wore them last night and they stayed on.
    I cut them in half, and used only the outer part. I think much of the problem (for me) is that they are shaped like a line and my eyes are, I don't know, arched. So if I put the whole thing on, one of the corners just pops up. Maybe they can be shaped somehow to fit your eyes better?

Darkdreams, maybe that is why people use individual lashes, or individual clumps, because it does seem that one corner of the whole straight row will pop up at some point in the evening. I think the professional makeup people probably trim and shape. Glad you found a way to make 'em work. I'll bet your eyes looked great.

Now that it worked once I might explore some more.

It looked like this. I think it was nice.

Adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    So if I put the whole thing on, one of the corners just pops up. Maybe they can be shaped somehow to fit your eyes better?
    I had that problem too, both times that I've done this now. The second time, I really bent them good before I put them on, sort of how that guy does it in the first video I posted. I waited about a minute until the glue was really tacky, before bending them. Even then, I still had to apply just a dab to the end when it popped up. And then I sat there for probably a good minute, just holding it down to make it stay. :P

But yay! You got them on! Isn't it fun?

Lovely picture! I remember when I was doing my post-graduate work, a guy commented to me that a girl had the most beautiful skin. "She doesn't need any makeup," he said. I was a little surprised because I could tell she was wearing foundation, but he didn't believe me. I don't think most people understand how certain looks are achieved.

False eyelashes are one of those things that I think a lot of people don't realize how many people are wearing them. (If they're done well that is.)

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    Now that it worked once I might explore some more.

It looked like this. I think it was nice.
    They look great! And very natural ...

Thank you ladies. They did not look natural at all, but since it was a special occasion it was OK.
    I am sure there are better quality ones. I read that people even sleep in them for days. Although all that glue cannot be good for skin.

Basenotes Plus

Hooray on your success!!
    A Scent Rescuer

I had fake eyelashes twice. First time it was great, I had them for nearly 4 weeks, did not have to use the mascara and the curler. Second time was truly misirable. I god sick of them after 2 or 3 days, plus the fakes started falling out earlier than predicted. Decided to unpick them by hand... It's been over 9 months since I had the lashes "done". I don't beleive my beautician's done a good job second time, but don't think I'd be getting the fakes done again any time soon.