Code of Conduct

Default Sonicare vs. Oral B

Daughter wants me to get a Sonicare toothbrush. It does sound quieter and I was wondering if anyone used both and can compare them. I have the Oral B and I like the two minute timer, divided into 30 seconds intervals and I can change quadrants, if you will, of the mouth. Does Sonicare do that? How expensive are the brushheads? I bought some replacement Oral B on ebay and am not satisfied with their quality, after about 2 months, they seem to dangle. Does that UV thing work or just leave that off?

If you suggest a specific model and know a good deal online, let me know.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sonicare vs. oral B

You can get the specifics as to timing modes and replacement parts costs of Sonicare and Oral-B on their websites. This study, small as the subject group was, indicates Sonicare superior to Oral-B within the parameters of the study in dealing with existing periodontal disease*. I made bold and underlined the conclusions at the end of the study:

*I suspect the Hawthorne Effect has some positive effect during any organized oral hygiene device study v normal home use

J Clin Dent. 1997;8(1 Spec No):4-9.
    A six-month clinical comparison of the efficacy of the Sonicare and the Braun Oral-B electric toothbrushes on improving periodontal health in adult periodontitis patients.
    Robinson PJ, Maddalozzo D, Breslin S.
    SourceDepartment of Stomatology, Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, IL, USA.

Abstract
    A sonic electric toothbrush (Sonicare) and an oscillating/rotating electric brush (Braun Oral-B) were compared for efficacy in removing supragingival plaque, reducing gingival inflammation, reducing probing pocket depth (Pd) and improving probing attachment levels (PAL) in a 6-month, single-blind clinical trial. Sixty-six adults with early-moderate periodontitis (5-7 mm Pd in at least two quadrants) entered the study, and 54 completed the entire study. The Sonicare and Braun groups were equally matched for plaque scores, and balanced for age, race and gender. Plaque was scored using the Turesky, Gilmore and Glickman Index. Gingival inflammation was determined by the Papillary Bleeding Score (PBS) of Loesche. Probing depths and attachment levels were determined using a manual North Carolina probe. All measurements were recorded at baseline, 2, 4 and 6 months. The mean overall plaque scores improved in both the Sonicare and the Braun groups at each of the follow-up visits. Interproximal plaque scores also improved in both groups with time, and the mean differential Sonicare post-brushing score was significantly better than the Braun at the 6-month visit (t-test; p = 0.039). Gingival inflammation also decreased in both groups over the 6-month period, but the Sonicare group showed significantly superior PBS scores at 4 months (t-test; p = 0.002) and 6 months (p = 0.005). The percentage reduction in inflammation from baseline at 6 months was 31.9% for Sonicare and 18.1% for Braun. Probing depth scores followed a similar pattern, with the Sonicare showing a mean reduction of 0.84 mm (15.8%) from baseline at 6 months, and Braun showing a 0.39 mm (7.2%) reduction (p = 0.002). In the Sonicare group probing attachment levels improved by 8.6% (MANOVA; p = 0.01), but no PAL improvement was seen in the Braun group. Overall, this study demonstrates that long-term use of these two electric toothbrushes improves periodontal health in adult periodontitis patients, and that the Sonicare brush is superior to the Braun brush in reducing gingival inflammation and probing depth. Moreover, 6 months' use of Sonicare led to actual improvement in probing attachment levels of periodontal pockets.
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd October 2011 at 03:16 PM.
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Default Re: Sonicare vs. oral B

I prefer to use the Sonicare,It,s easier to hold,it pulses every 30 secs,allowing you to change quadrants and it has several settings :Clean,Sensitive, Refresh,etc. The brushes seem to last o.k and don't splay out like Oral Bs. The U.V is a good thing,it switches off after 10 mins,leaving brushes clean and dry for next use. Hope this is helpfull.

Default Re: Sonicare vs. Oral B

I have used both. For years I used Oral B and no problems, well they died and wouldn't hold a charge after a few years. Then I bought a sonic from QVC loved it, but it died on me just after the one year guarantee. So Boots the chemist had deals on Sonicare and I got mine for 70% off. And it is FABULOUS!!!!! Beats the one I bought from QVC and the old Oral B. Mine beeps telling me to move around my mouth. It has a sensitive clean,normal and extra whitening too. I just use the normal. It should have been £97 and I got it for £47. The brush heads packs of four cost £19 but again Boots had an offer I got them for £9.99. Then bought spares on ebay a bit cheaper, think it was £7.99 for four. Sorry no idea of the model as I no longer have the box. All I will say is, I thought my teeth where clean with the Oral B but I am getting less plack(sp) on my bottom front teeth with the Sonicare. For some reason I always got a little plack on the front bottom teeth which the dentist cleared each visit. Well since using the Sonicare not needed it done.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Y by Yves Saint Laurent

I'm suddenly aware that I've amassed the beginnings of a decent collection of WOPDs (weapons of plaque destruction). I have, and use obsessively: Braun Oral-B Sonic Complete, Braun Ultra Plaque Remover, Hydra Brush Express and Water Pik Ultra. Don't even get me started on flosses and hand-held implements. This is mostly the result of getting adult braces, two bridges (six crowns), three other crowns and two root canals in 2009-2010. The work was done at USC School of Dentistry, so each week at least five people looked inside my mouth and poked around with extremely discerning eyes. I made an extra effort.

I learned that having a wardrobe of tools to use is preferable to just using one, just like with perfume. I reach for the sonic brush most often. It does the best general job and gets more into the nooks and crannies. The other Braun is best for polishing the surfaces of the teeth. If I use it long enough, I'll actually hear my teeth squeak. The Hydra-Express was purchased mostly because it was on clearance at Ross or Marshalls for $5. It does an okay job after you get used to handling it and can efficiently get teeth clean in less than a minute. It's a nice option for when I'm really really pressed for time. The Water Pik is great, but it isn't enough on it's own. Using floss will get what the pik misses, and vice versa.

Not being cheap with the replacement brushes (like my dad) and changing them frequently makes a big difference too. I ignore timers and opt to self-direct because I don't wanna go one quadrant at a time thank you very much so that doesn't factor into my opinions.

Rejoice that you were consulted about this, and not a tattoo.

adding later: I should mention that when I use the Braun Ultra, I use the special polishing brushes. They have a little rubber thing in the center. Using these brushes does make a difference and they are probably the reason I hear a little squeak.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 24th October 2011 at 04:01 PM.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

If anyone has a consumers report, which Sonicare come the best recommended? Any CR Best Value?

I am thinking of the 6711, 6511, or 6911 (without the UV thing) and the lesser amount of programs, the cheaper. Easyclean (6511) is not bad priced.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Great discussion, kids. Thanks for the info and perspectives. SoCal, I love your WOPDs.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Ended up with the Sonicare 6511, called the Easy Clean. Why? Well, some reviews at amazon indicated that you don't use all the different cleaning modes (sensitive being one) and well, my Oral B has two speeds and I never use the lower one as it is. Ran me $42 shipped, and the next step up would be about $18 more, the Healthy White.

I think my last group of Oral B Brusheads were knockoffs. Is there any concern with that on the Sonicare Pro Results brushheads if you get them on Ebay or at Amazon?

I received the Sonicare (Easy Clean, with only one cleaning mode, just like my Oral B) and used it this evening. Just felt wierd after having used the Oral B for 5 or so years. Much, much less noise, and it seems that the bristles are not as harsh. THe Oral B seems like it goes around each tooth, and the Sonicare is the more traditional shaped brush. Makes me wonder how much it will really clean when compared with the Oral B, but suppossedly each will do equally as well. I can tell that I will use less pressure with the Sonicare and as the brushead covers more service area, I am more likely to let the Sonicare brush the teeth and keep it steady than I did with the Oral B, where I more or less moved it back and forth like a traditional brush but with it pulsating/oscillating as well. What this means, I have no clue, or what result it achieves

^I've never used anything but a traditional toothbrush, and now a Sonicare for last several years - so I can't compare to the Oral-B.

But exactly as you say, I just move it around my teeth slowly based on the beeps, and let it do the work. I actually like that it has a larger brush head because it allows to be park it and let it pulsate without "brushing" manually or having to move it more to cover the entire surface area. Even with your Oral-B, I doubt the brushing movements you make have any additional cleaning effect on top of the vibrations, other than just allowing you to cover the entire surface area.

Don't worry about it not being effective this way. When I'm out of town and use a regular brush, I am always shocked at how much more difficult it is to feel like I really did a good job. Those ultra-fast vibrations are amazingly effective alone.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have both and find they perform differently - the sonicare gives a better overall clean to my gumlines and teeth while the oral b polishes the teeth a little better. That said, I find myself reaching more for the sonicare (I'm at the point where I really prefer dental health over cosmetics anyway... ;p

I have used both and prefer the feel of the circular brush head on the Oral B. I'm not sure if the new ones clean as well as the Sonicare, but I personally like the feel of them better.

Prefer Sonicare.

SoniCare is awesome. Thanks for posting that abstract, kbe. It confirms what I've suspected all along. The high speed oscillation of the bristles is very effective in gently breaking up plaque.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Basenotes Institution

+1 for Sonic care - been using this brand for several years.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Member

Somewhat OT but are electric toothbrushes really that useful? I've read that they are, at best, minimally better at removing plaque than manually brushing but I'd say 95% of my friends (aged late 20s-early 30s) use electric brushes. Do you all find they are easier/less annoying to use than a regular brush?

Just a FYI... I have an Oral B Complete. After several years, the batteries finally died. If that happens to you, search you tube for instructions to replace. I got 2 batteries from my local Batteries Plus store, & they even attached the two batteries together. It was an easy job to replace, & it's been working & keeping charges like new, for some 6 months now. I presume the Sonic batteries might be replaced too?