Code of Conduct

Thread: My sample order

Basenotes Member

Thumbs up My sample order

I am going to be receiving the following samples from The Perfumed Court.

Chanel Les Exclusifs Sycomore
    Creed Sampler ~ Pick your own 1 ml Samples
    Samples Selection List Virgin Island Water Millesime Imperial Silver Mountain Water Erolfa Himalaya
    van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris EDT
    Histoires de Parfums 1725 (Casanova)
    Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)
    By Kilian Love and Tears, Surrender EDP
    Histoires de Parfums 1828 (Jules Verne)
    Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Eau de Parfum
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV for Men
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Amouage Lyric Man
    MDCI Invasion Barbare (formerly SB1)
    Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    Chanel No. 5 EDP

What do you think of the selections and should I drop some or pick up others?

Power Where You Need It

Default Re: My sample order

Quote Originally Posted by Korben View Post
    I am going to be receiving the following samples from The Perfumed Court.

Chanel Les Exclusifs Sycomore
    Creed Sampler ~ Pick your own 1 ml Samples
    Samples Selection List Virgin Island Water Millesime Imperial Silver Mountain Water Erolfa Himalaya
    van Cleef & Arpels Midnight in Paris EDT
    Histoires de Parfums 1725 (Casanova)
    Histoires de Parfums 1740 (Marquis de Sade)
    By Kilian Love and Tears, Surrender EDP
    Histoires de Parfums 1828 (Jules Verne)
    Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Eau de Parfum
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV for Men
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Amouage Lyric Man
    MDCI Invasion Barbare (formerly SB1)
    Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    Chanel No. 5 EDP

What do you think of the selections and should I drop some or pick up others?
    Great selection! Personally I'd drop Midnight In Paris and replace it with Bulgari Black but it's probably just me...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

Thanks!

Anyone else have comments

Very nice selection.

Excellent selection, and all need to be sampled.

I personally wouldn't put in chanel no5 edp (or pure malt), simply because they're so easy to find in most dept stores, not because they are not worthy. In the Amouage group, I am no fan of Reflection, and would rather put in Amouage Gold man or Ubar (which are quite different, Reflection is a hypergourmand, Gold and Ubar are gigantic incense-florals).

I am also no fan of Creed, but that's just me. Perversely, I would almost suggest you put in Creed Love in white, which perfume critic Luca Turin consider the paradigm of bad perfumery (I agree, it's atrocious, though I suspect that hypersensitivity to certain molecules may be at play here).

cacio

Basenotes Member

They aren't in any dept stores around me. I live in no-where's-ville.

Basenotes Plus

I cannot figure out a theme that ties up these fragrances other than 'popularity by house'. If you tell us what you had in mind when you decided on these picks, perhaps we could offer you better advice. However, if these are mostly fragrances you've always wanted to try, then I think you're in for a real treat!

Great selection.
    I would add:

one or 2 from Tom Ford private blend (maybe Tobacco Vanille and Amber Absolute)

and some from Serge Lutens, like Chergui, Arabie, Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, etc

Also, BOis du Portugal

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I cannot figure out a theme that ties up these fragrances other than 'popularity by house'. If you tell us what you had in mind when you decided on these picks, perhaps we could offer you better advice. However, if these are mostly fragrances you've always wanted to try, then I think you're in for a real treat!
    They are mainly things I have just wanted to try. I really don't have any particular notes or theme. I may channel my enter Buysblind and review each without look to see what it is (without the giveaways, haha). I would say one note I really want to explore is melon. I know Creed's MI "can" have that as a top note but it can really vary. What would be a frag with a strong melon note?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Great selection.
    I would add:

one or 2 from Tom Ford private blend (maybe Tobacco Vanille and Amber Absolute)

and some from Serge Lutens, like Chergui, Arabie, Ambre Sultan, Gris Clair, etc

Also, BOis du Portugal
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually trying to get involved in a split of Tom Fords Tobacco Vanille and Noir de Noir over in the splits forum.

I'm always interested in seeing newbies selects for a big sample batch. Like Diamondflame, it makes me curious as to what inspired those choices, especially since it is an interesting list you have there.

I'll assume you've been doing some research here and have reasons for choosing those. It's a good list. I would only point out that sampling Pure Malt could be kind of a frustrating experience. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing. It is not all that imo. Plus, if you love it, it's hard to obtain or inordinately expensive. But if you want to smell it to see what all the fuss is about, great.

I know MI is the most oft noted melon scent, but on me it has pretty poor longevity. I also don't know how long that melon note lasts even with a "good" batch.

They aren't in any dept stores around me. I live in no-where's-ville.
    Well, fun for you, because you're clearly going to be the best smelling guy in nowhereville.

The only Histoires de Parfums that worked for me was 1826 Montijo. I found the rest of the line too feminine, even Casanova. Regarding Histoires de Parfums 1740, wow - total dirty-ness, somewhere between MFK APLS and SL MKK, and in other words unwearable.

Anyways if you're gonna add one, I would add 1826, it's a great autumn scent IMO.

Great Selection. I thought to order some Amouage samples as well. Waiting for your feedback on them.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    The only Histoires de Parfums that worked for me was 1826 Montijo. I found the rest of the line too feminine, even Casanova. Regarding Histoires de Parfums 1740, wow - total dirty-ness, somewhere between MFK APLS and SL MKK, and in other words unwearable.

Anyways if you're gonna add one, I would add 1826, it's a great autumn scent IMO.
    Really, I will have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm always interested in seeing newbies selects for a big sample batch. Like Diamondflame, it makes me curious as to what inspired those choices, especially since it is an interesting list you have there.

I'll assume you've been doing some research here and have reasons for choosing those. It's a good list. I would only point out that sampling Pure Malt could be kind of a frustrating experience. Personally, I think it's much ado about nothing. It is not all that imo. Plus, if you love it, it's hard to obtain or inordinately expensive. But if you want to smell it to see what all the fuss is about, great.

I know MI is the most oft noted melon scent, but on me it has pretty poor longevity. I also don't know how long that melon note lasts even with a "good" batch.
    I am just trying the pure malt just to see what the hype is about. I essentially read all i could on here and pick the frags with the most interesting description or with lots of "hype."

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well, fun for you, because you're clearly going to be the best smelling guy in nowhereville.
    thats the goal, haha

Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Great Selection. I thought to order some Amouage samples as well. Waiting for your feedback on them.
    It will be a while just placed the order today.

Really, I will have to see

I am just trying the pure malt just to see what the hype is about. I essentially read all i could on here and pick the frags with the most interesting description or with lots of "hype."

thats the goal, haha

It will be a while just placed the order today.
    Judge for yourself on 1740. Fsface may get very "dirty" out of it, but I sure don't. Heavy load of imortelle to me (maple syrup like). I dont love it. A hard scent to get to know IMO. A lot people here love it.

Okay on the Malt. It certainly has it's fans and now you can either love it or go "meh."

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Great selection! Personally I'd drop Midnight In Paris and replace it with Bulgari Black but it's probably just me...
    definitely just you

MIP is a great blend of two flawed releases, Bulgari Black (rubber) and Dior Homme (lipstick).

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

If I were you, I'd think twice about By Kilian Love and Tears. It's a very feminine fragrance that's dominated by a big, loud jasmine note. If you love jasmine, then you'll probably like it. If not, probably not. I think Back to Black and Taste of Heaven are much better from that line.

Also, if you're sampling the Chanel Exclusifs, you definitely owe it to yourself to try Bois des Iles.

That's a varied list.... I bet you're already preparing your next list of samples to order!!

Its a great list. I enjoy the HdP line. The 1740 and 1725 might take a bit to get used but its definitely worth your time. In later orders may I suggest Amber 114 and 1969 Parfums de Revolte. Have a great time sniffing.

Cheers Rex
    An old Panto joke for you.

Lord:I hear that eggs are going up again.

Dame:That'll surprise a few chickens.