Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why is Chanel Allure Homme still so pricey?

Why still so pricey even from online discounters?

Default Re: Why is Chanel Allure Homme still so pricey?

Perhaps its continued popularity in the market has kept its price somewhat stable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quality never comes cheap.

Fragrances that are continuously popular usually don't get discounted. A few exceptions may be Azzaro Chrome, and Cool Water. Also, I have never seen a Dior or Chanel at a discounter before, at least with significant discount over buying retail
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Why cut down the price if still selling pretty well?

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Because it's Chanel.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Because it's Chanel.
    Definitely this. They are at the top of the heap of luxury brands, selling stuff at a discount is not at all part of their business plan, regardless of how popular it is or isn't. I suspect they would rather destroy unsold stock if a line proved to be unpopular. I wouldn't hold your breath that the price will drop, it would have to take a massive reversal in fortune for the brand for that to happen.

I personally don't think the mainstream Chanels are of higher quality than other brands that do make their products available to discounters. It's just image.

Agree with all the posts so far. Chanel is regarded as a higher end designer, and the continuing poparity of AHS drives up the cost. You'll notice a scent like Aqua di Gio is still quite expensive even though it's been around for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Because there is demand for it.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

It's so tacky to see fragrances at a discount. They really should be the same price everywhere

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    Why still so pricey even from online discounters?
    Chanel has succeeded in keeping online prices high because they control the supply and demand balance extremely well.

All Chanel frags are high priced if you look and 90% of the Homme products are on a very steady basis constantly sold out at online retailers.

They are the 'niche' price house among designer frags

My 2 preferred Designer frag houses are Chanel and YSL.
    YSL in my view makes better frags overall and to the same high standards as Chanel. They just aren't as good at controlling supply and demand - and the snob appeal related to Chanel will never be the same for the YSL brand.
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 24th October 2011 at 05:56 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Why is Chanel Allure Homme still so pricey?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Absolutely
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Chanel has succeeded in keeping online prices high because they control the supply and demand balance extremely well.

All Chanel frags are high priced if you look and 90% of the Homme products are on a very steady basis constantly sold out at online retailers.
    You nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbar1104 View Post
    Because it's Chanel.
    Precisely.

For instance, Juliette Has A Gun can be found at discounters, but at full retail price.

Happily, some specials will apply.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Ahem...cough...YSLAzzaroHalstonCaron...cough cough.

I'm inclined to go with "it's a Chanel" and continued demand.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post
    Absolutely
    YSL ranks above Chanel in my book.
    KOUROS, BodyKouros, Pour Homme Concentrčt, Opium, Live Jazz, Rive Gauche can go up against every Chanel Homme anytime, anywhere and always win - have you checked YSL prices recently ??

Caron, Azzaro, Davidoff, Cartier and Oscar De La Renta - same story !!

I may add that I'm a huge Chanel fan - just like YSL over Chanel always !!
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel has tight control of their distribution. It's damaging to Chanel's goodwill (or image) for their perfumes to be sold at discounted prices; customers might question the quality of Chanel's products. Expired perfumes are most likely destroyed negating the possibility of deep discounts.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pigasus27

Cant disagree more of the quality x price.

Kouros beat all chanels (except antaeus and Egoiste, wich is equivalent) and costs 3x lower.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

chanel colognes have beautiful presentation, expensive bottle with magnet cap. about the juice is subjective. i have smelled blu chanel, no different than acquadigio in my opinion but the presentation is more classy, expensive, beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leociccone View Post
    It's so tacky to see fragrances at a discount. They really should be the same price everywhere
    Wow. I so disagree with that. I want to save money whenever possible. Snob appeal is not part of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Wow. I so disagree with that. I want to save money whenever possible. Snob appeal is not part of the equation.
    Likewise Chuck. I actually have a certain appreciation when I find a great quality fragrance at a good price. I think this is one of those products where you can say that its not always "You get what you pay for"
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    Likewise Chuck. I actually have a certain appreciation when I find a great quality fragrance at a good price. I think this is one of those products where you can say that its not always "You get what you pay for"
    I must agree as well. One of the main things I like about fragrance is that many absolute masterpieces are democratized in the marketplace, and many people get to experience a level of quality they otherwise wouldn't --- even if they don't recognize it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Post Thanks / Like

You should travel to Europe. It's not tacky over there - everything is at ridiculously high department store prices, with the occasional 10 or 15%.

I prefer paying a fifth to a quarter of the cost. I think that's all that Allure and most other men's Chanels are worth - with the exception of the Blanche edition and of Egoiste.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

eh, in part it's the quality/price point, but I think it's mostly just because it's Chanel, and high prices is their INTENDED strategy. Keep prices high and consistent.

also, a few years back there was some serious grey market and fakes floating around. Guys like Chanel pulled in the reigns quickly and tightly and it's saved them. Others like Burberry, LV, Coach, you know... their brand equity's all been affected as the fakes have flooded the market. Hermes, Chanel, etc they've kept it small, tight, and expensive (cue dirty joke)
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

The concept of Chanel's exclusivity are also part of the tactic. Rare and costly and therefore sought after.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The concept of Chanel's exclusivity are also part of the tactic. Rare and costly and therefore sought after.
    This is exactly what Apple do with their iPhone. At least up until version 4, keeping supply low means customers raving about it and prices stay stable and high compared to all other smartphones.

This is how you keep a luxury brand - stay away from discounts and if discount store want to sell your product, sell at such a high price that even online discount stores have to either backout or sell at the retail price
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You should travel to Europe. It's not tacky over there - everything is at ridiculously high department store prices, with the occasional 10 or 15%.

I prefer paying a fifth to a quarter of the cost. I think that's all that Allure and most other men's Chanels are worth - with the exception of the Blanche edition and of Egoiste.
    Renato
    I used to live in Europe...I bought one bottle of fragrance and that worked just fine! When it's expensive it makes me appreciate every spritz!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    +1 ...

Post Thanks / Like

I used to live in Europe...I bought one bottle of fragrance and that worked just fine! When it's expensive it makes me appreciate every spritz!
    You can achieve the same effect in the US - just pretend the discounters don't exist and go to high end department stores.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    You can achieve the same effect in the US - just pretend the discounters don't exist and go to high end department stores.
    Regards,
    Renato
    I used to...now I just swap most of the time

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

it's still a popular frag, no reason to mark it down
    also Chanel is a very good fashion house, if they ever felt that a product was not doing well - they would just discontinue, not mark it down