Code of Conduct

Default My thoughts on my horde of samples!

So I'm fairly new to this whole business, and ordered a load of samples (based on everything I've read here) from The Perfumed Court to see what appeals to me. I wanted to share my thoughts with you guys, see if you agree/disagree and maybe suggest some others I ought to try! I've worn about half of these and tested the others on cards. I'm going to wear all (well, most at least!) of them though, before I allow myself to repeat my favourites! I can't really pick out notes, so I'll just say what came to mind when I smelled them! Here goes, in rough order of preference: (I'm a student - 20 years old)

Amouage Jubilation XXV - Wow! Fruity, sticky, sweet. Love this stuff. I feel rich and powerful when I wear this! I need to get a bottle ASAP!

Azzaro Pour Homme - Quite a strong presence with this. Smells interesting and a bit spicy. Another on the to-buy list!

Chanel Egoiste Platinum - Quite sharp and fresh, with citrus maybe? I could see this being an everyday scent for me, maybe wait until the summer though.

Dior Homme Intense - Has quite a bit of complexity to it, smells quite deep. Developed into something a bit softer and floral maybe? Another candidate for a full bottle.

Amouage Epic Man - Fruity and sweet, I really like it, but the price probably makes it not bottle worthy.

Le Labo Rose 31 - Another that I really like. Fresh and floral (obviously!) but I can't help but wonder if it's verging on too feminine for me.

Yves Saint Laurent M7 - Deep, soft and fairly complex. This grew on me with time. I want to own this at some point, maybe not just yet.

Dior Homme Sport - Crisp, fresh, floral. Nothing too controversial here, it's hard to imagine people not liking this. Added to the wish-list.

Guerlain L'instant Extreme pour Homme - A warm, soft, sweet, fruity vanilla scent. A potential candidate coming into winter.

Amouage Gold Man - Nice enough, just not the wow I was expecting after Jubilation. Maybe a bit soapy. Probably not worth the price tag in my opinion.

Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur - Opening was mysterious and spicy, but after a couple of hours settled down into something more 'normal' (good thing). I haven't found the occasion to wear it yet (this was on a card) but I find myself really wanting to like this after the reviews it gets on here.

Amouage Reflection Man - It's nice, but I get a lot of Le Male here. Whilst I can tell the difference and prefer it, I doubt many others can so the price probably makes this a no. On it's own though - a decent scent.

Amouage Lyric Man - a sharp, green, floral smell is what I get. Pleasant, but nothing to set the world on fire.

Dior Homme - Nice, but I don't think my wardrobe has room for both this and the intense which I prefer. It does just smell like a 'calmer' version of DHI.

Gucci Pour Homme (vintage) - starts off quite sophisticated then develops into something a bit drier and quite floral. Smells quite similar to something one of my female friends wears (maybe Guilty or Michael Kors, not sure) so this makes it a bit feminine in my mind although I know it's not really!

Amouage Memoir Man - Green and floral, a bit too complicated for my taste. I'll use up the sample, but not bottle worthy.

Serge Lutens Chergui - sticky, sweet and fruity. Need to give this one a wear to build a complete picture, but I like it so far. Potentially worth a bottle.

Hermes Terre d'Hermes - Smells earthy. I feel like I ought to like it, but it just feels a bit old for me.

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower - Overly floral to my nose. Smells rather too feminine for me. Calmed down a bit with time, but just not my thing.

Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male - I think I went into this wanting to not like it. Maybe it's just snobbery, but I don't want to smell like loads of other people out there! Smells pleasant enough, but a bit synthetic. Were this less common, I'd be tempted.

Armani Acqua di Gio - I've definitely smelled this before - now I know what it is! A really nice pleasant clean scent, but I have the same issues as with Le Male above - I don't want to smell like everyone else!

Chanel Antaeus - This just wasn't for me. Quite harsh, maybe there's a note in there I have a problem with.

Bvlgari Black - I get a lot of rubber. I've noted that this was a bit fusty and uninspiring and faded quickly. I've sniffed the sample a few times since though, and definitely think it's worth another try. We'll see.

So that's it! I have a few others I want to try, such as the Allure range and a few other creeds. I also got a spray of New Haarlem on a card the other day, which I love. Gonna have to get a sample of that. I'll be interested to hear what you all make of this!

Default Re: My thoughts on my horde of samples!

You'll be quite busy wearing these over the next few weeks. My guess is that your initial opinions will change after giving them a full day's wearing.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with hednic. I still revisit certain samples I got a while ago and have drastically changed opinion on some of them. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing and welcome to basenotes. Quite a good sample list for a new member.

Sounds like your wallet is in for a surprise

Post Thanks / Like

I would thoroughly go through your sample before deciding on a bottle. They will wear differently each time to the point you can form a good opinion. Sounds like you've just worn these once and are thinking of FBW status on some. Use the sample up and then decide or order a larger decant if your on the fence before bottles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I echo the previous comments. As your nose grow, you will develop different opinions on a lot of them. Man, I'm sorry I was so fast to get rid of a lot of frags because of my inexperienced nose...
    LOOKING FOR DECANTS OF ANY O. Durbano, ANY Hilde Soliana, BOISE VANILLE, COLOGNE POUR LE SOIR, MUSC RAVEGEUR, AND ROSE 31 TO SWAP:.:wink

Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely bow down to you guys' superior knowledge/experience and give each one a few more tries before making up my mind on some. Thanks!

I sprayed Dior Homme Sport on one hand last night and Play Intense on the other. 5 minutes later I couldn't smell the Dior Homme Sport and I know I wasn't suffering from olfactory fatigue as I could still smell the Play Intense. I don't know how that is possible but it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

well it's great to read all your enthusiasm... but I'd say you're in the honeymoon phase here and haven't yet figured out what YOU like or would wear instead of what just smells interesting or unique. I have many samples I keep because they're interesting, but it's taken years to really figure out what I actually want to wear (ie bottle buys)
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Nice choice. You sampled many of the "best of the best" fragrances. Thanks for sharing your impressions.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

I love threads like these!! Thanks for giving us your take on some really special scents. Just a word of advice though, many of the designer scents you mentioned can be tested at department stores for free, and as for niche try luckscent or aedes both are much more reasonably priced than TPC. This hobby can get very expensive lol.

Quote Originally Posted by out of smoke View Post
    I sprayed Dior Homme Sport on one hand last night and Play Intense on the other. 5 minutes later I couldn't smell the Dior Homme Sport and I know I wasn't suffering from olfactory fatigue as I could still smell the Play Intense. I don't know how that is possible but it happened.
    It probably has something to do with the contrast in scents that stops you smelling one of them. Try testing the Dior Homme Sport by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    many of the designer scents you mentioned can be tested at department stores for free, and as for niche try luckscent or aedes both are much more reasonably priced than TPC. This hobby can get very expensive lol.
    I'm gutted you bought a sample of Aqua di Gio and Le Male. You'd have to be pretty rural to be too far away from testers of those two.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Perfumed Court is an expensive way to test common fragrances so definitely look them up at your nearest department store as several of the ones you listed could have been smelled free. For the rarer or more expensive scents, lucky scent and Perfumed court are good though to get some testing time with an investment. I like a lot of your choices. Good luck and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice reading your impressions. My Advice is to give a full wearing to each sample and to make couple of days between each wearing. I usually try sample and then next two days try to think about all pros and cons before I try another one.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Classy and mature choices, nothing predictable or average- good work, distinguished taste

I know I could have tried many of these in-store, but I like having the decants there. It means I can wake up, pick one to try and wear it, rather than wait until I can get to a store. I don't just want to smell each briefly, I want to give them all some time and attention. I'm also a bit obsessive and like all the little identical bottles lined up

I'll definitely try some of the other places people have mentioned too - thanks!