Code of Conduct
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Obsession by Calvin Klein

I can understand why some would like this scent. It is strong and masculine, but perhaps too strong, to the point where it could offend as many people as it pleases.

Is Obsession a trying-too-hard scent, or is there something I am missing?

Default Re: Obsession by Calvin Klein

It seems like people either love this or are repulsed by it. I seem to fall in the second grouping.

One of the few fragrances I find to be outdated. But, to be fair, that might have something to do with the fact that my dad wore it back in the 80's.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

Pretty revolutionary stuff in its day. Made orientals safe for men to wear. I didn't wear it back then, but I like it now.

Okay for a 50+ masculine man....but there are so many other better choices

It is deplorable. Perhaps one day I will spray it again to see if my opinion has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    I can understand why some would like this scent. It is strong and masculine, but perhaps too strong, to the point where it could offend as many people as it pleases.

Is Obsession a trying-too-hard scent, or is there something I am missing?
    It is surely very intense, the trick is using very small quantities. It is wonderful on wool, few drops on a scarf is a real treat.
    By the time it was released, it was quite something, and somehow it set the bar for several male orientals afterwards. I like it, sort of, don't find it massively outdated, nor too difficult to pull off if applied sparringly
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I don't think it's too strong. I wore it today during the day, 1 spray to the chest, 1 to the back of neck, and I was golden.

I like it, but the newest version is so watered down, that the sillage and longevity are really bad!

Hate it smells like wet dog and sweaty old man

A fragrance is a fragrance is a fragrance. The only values it has are the ones YOU assign to it. It's perfectly acceptable to say "this just isn't for me". I just find it odd that so many people seek some objective truth to such a subjective form of art.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    or is there something I am missing?
    Perhaps the self confidence to wear what you like and not give a shit what other people think.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

AromiErotici

Obsession tends to become overtly sweet on skin and can easily be over-applied. The more I wore it years ago, the less I liked it.

I won a small "cologne" strength mini marketed to women in that strange, oval bottle awhile back. The "cologne" strength is absolutely tenacious and leads me to believe the "parfum" strength that comes in the same style bottle would cause casualties.

I have since mixed it with unscented lotion in order to downplay the cloying qualities it possesses. It works fine and also works well adding a layer of wood on top.

I don't find it outdated at all. On my skin, however, it radiates quite powerfully, Joop! Homme like power. The trick is in application. Two small sprays are the answer. This scent was an example for many scents to follow in my opinion. These would be Joop! Homme, Gucci Envy for men (my favourite fragrance), I dare even say YSL M7. There is a tendency to call this scent an old man fragrance wich is notorious mistake. This scent is sensual and seductive. If applied properly it can do miracles.

I'm scratching my head at most of these responses.

I apply 6 to 8 sprays of Obsession whenever I use it - no one has ever come up to me and told me they were offended, nor has anyone looked at me in an "I'm offended by your powerful scent" manner.
    My wife and former ladyfriends have never told me it's too strong (as they had with various other scents).
    And for some reason, there must exist some very nice smelling wet dogs and sweaty old men in the USA, if one of the posts above is to be believed (though I'm not sure how often one would come across a sweaty old man holding a wet dog).
    Regards,
    Renato

When I first tried scents, and well before I knew much beyond what was on offer at the local mall, Obsession for Men was the fragrance I favored most. I think one of the reasons at the time was the combination of clove and nutmeg which persisted on my skin and clothes -- a scent that my nose back then interpreted as carnation-like. I enjoy that flower's spice scent very much, so this worked for me. Everyone else (male) in the early 2000s around here was wearing Cool Water and other similar scents that I found overapplied, bothersome, and literally gave me headaches at times.

I was never afraid of scents I considered "floral," despite the fact many were really more oriental. Such was my level of sophistication back then.

One of the big issues I did notice with Obsession was the first bottle I bought seemed spicier than the subsequent ones I would find a few years later. I also noticed the splash format worked a lot different on me than the spray. Earlier was better... I thought it was nostalgia or maybe a better batch, but others have suggested they changed it.

I never thought of the scent as old, offensive, or a sillage monster -- not after the teens and 20-somethings bathed in Cool Water breezed past you in the mall, causing nearby plants to wilt. I liked it better than Eternity, which always gave me a splitting headache. I suspect people think this is for older guys because it isn't as trendy as some of the other fragrances, but there is nothing inherent about it that suggests "old man" to me.

I think what made me want to move beyond Obsession was the fact it had gotten boring after a decade wearing it. I felt it was time to journey into more challenging scents -- ones people could not instantly recognize because they had encountered it 700 times before. It's not that I now hate the scent of Obsession, it's more like I've outgrown it.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I'm scratching my head at most of these responses.

I apply 6 to 8 sprays of Obsession whenever I use it - no one has ever come up to me and told me they were offended, nor has anyone looked at me in an "I'm offended by your powerful scent" manner.
    My wife and former ladyfriends have never told me it's too strong (as they had with various other scents).
    And for some reason, there must exist some very nice smelling wet dogs and sweaty old men in the USA, if one of the posts above is to be believed (though I'm not sure how often one would come across a sweaty old man holding a wet dog).
    Regards,
    Renato
    Agreed. I`m quite sure it has been reformulated, because the sillage and stayingpower is rather weak on my skin. On the other hand, it still smells great and I don`t find it more dated than other scents from this decade.

I replaced it for the lady's version, one spray under the shirt is more than enough.

I like it for the reason it takes me back to high school. I do not own a bottle and there about 200 other bottles I will need to own before I bought this. But I do like the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I don't think it's too strong. I wore it today during the day, 1 spray to the chest, 1 to the back of neck, and I was golden.
    totally agree!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Discovered it late in life by age, though early by fragrance useage years. Was thinking of Vera Wang, but my wife and I both liked Obsession for Men better. When I was in high school and college one wore Old Spice if you were lucky enough to have any, hence no prejudical memories. I really like it. If I could change it, would make it a deeper amber.

I have to add for a fragrance that has been on men's fragrance bar for 25 years - you "are" missing something.

Dependent

This fragrance seems extremely dated to me, and my nose cringes when sniffing it. It is quite spicy, but there is just a bad, bad vibe to this.

I am not disliking its strength, I actually feel that it has a certain sweetness and powderiness, not unpleasant but still, on some level, too "soft" for me

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I am not disliking its strength, I actually feel that it has a certain sweetness and powderiness, not unpleasant but still, on some level, too "soft" for me
    The actual blend has been toned down, the original one was bolder, to say the least. In that sense, the present day version of Obsession for woman is more akin to the one sold during the early 1980's.

I don't like it at all, too woody, too oriental. smells too much like dry choky spicy incense.

To me this is a great fragrance.....My Wife can't stand this so I stay away!!!
    Gary