Code of Conduct

Default a watch like my fragrances: classy and high quality at reasonable price

YSL Rive Gauche is one of my favorite fragrances. It smells great, plus it's an outstanding value. And it doesn't smell like the latest teenage craze. Classy and classic.

Any suggestions on a watch like that?

I've taken a look at the forum here and the watches discussed are a million miles out of my price range. I'm thinking a few hundred bucks, tops. (And, knowing me, I'll probably have an eye out for something slightly used.)

I'm in my early thirties and work in a pretty casual environment (I dress more "professional" than most.) I think I'm looking for something pretty clean that could be dressed up, but not anything formal. Separately, I might also be in the market for something sporty. I don't intend to attempt to blend the two, but perhaps.

Don't like anything huge. Probably round face. Leather or stainless band.

To give you an idea, my interest has been piqued by the Swiss Army Infantry Vintage Chrono. Though that's a little "busy," so maybe this one.

For something sporty, perhaps the Seiko Sportura.

I've also just started looking into Hamilton.

Any suggestions for solid watches at a great value that I haven't listed? Or any thoughts on these listed? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: a watch like my fragrances: classy and high quality at reasonable price

Those Swiss Army watches are ok, but for what they are asking for them, you could get an automatic.. Hamilton, definitely a great choice. Also check Tissot, and Glycine . All Swiss made and have models in your price range. www.watchuseek.com is a great resource for anything to do with watches.. Good luck man.

Default Re: a watch like my fragrances: classy and high quality at reasonable price

Another vote for Tissot- very diversified yet constantly high-quality product ranges, suited for both casual and formal attires and occasions

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'll take a look.

I would be more inclined to look at a more basic Seiko. There are countless which share the same movement (cant think what the name is offhand but they are called Seiko "something", almost as if they were separate from the Seiko company, which they are not. In Europe you would pay the equivalent of 100 bucks or a bit less for a good used one on ebay.I personally would not choose a chronograph unless it was a Breitling or something (actually if you keep looking you can find nice second hand old Breitling models for 2 to 300 bucks if you are patient.) I bought a Tag Heuer Professional, about ten years old, great condition, fairly plain, sapphire glass, nice mercedes shape hands for just over 200 in your money. There are plenty of these on ebay and to me they are a bit classier than most current models....

Seiko Orange Monster?

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Seiko Orange Monster?
    Not quite.
    Seiko 5 was what I was trying to remember. (Perhaps the "5" was substituted for "Orange Monster" in Brazil as a sales pitch)

watchuseek.com is a great resource.

Looking into Seiko, Christopher Ward, and Hamilton. Possibly Invicta if I end up going with a diver. We'll see.

Go vintage, young man.

I'm biassed, in that I collect vintage Seikos. It's got to be handwind, as far as I'm concerned - but I'm aware that I'm odd like that.

My advice, for what it's worth: unless you want to wear short-sleeve shirts, avoid a diver or anything bigger than a 36mm diameter. Avoid chronos or too much bling.

Naturally, get yourself a sports watch for evenings and weekends. I'm talking about something that will sit nicely under a shirt cuff.

Here's my favourite vintage Seiko, which dates from the mid-'60s (but factor a service into the cost):

Seiko 66-0010

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Go vintage, young man.

It's got to be handwind, as far as I'm concerned - but I'm aware that I'm odd like that.
    I share the same sentiments.

for swap/sale:

Nice. Much classier than most contemporary models. Rather like fragrances I suppose..

i love BALL watches...

Oris watches. Mechanical. Classic. Check out the culture collection and you will by one. Only mechanical watches have inherent value. Quartz watches tell time. Mechanical watches have inherent value and Oris watches are not very expensive, and increase in value.

My advice, for what it's worth: unless you want to wear short-sleeve shirts, avoid a diver or anything bigger than a 36mm diameter. Avoid chronos or too much bling.
    Very good advice.

Tissot. I've had mine for 15 years and it works perfectly. Their prices are very decent.

Thanks for all of the responses.

Quick update: Got a Seiko SNK809 for Christmas. Entry level automatic. Will be a weekend, casual, knock around type of thing.

Still looking for something nicer. Came close on a couple of used Hamiltons (Jazzmaster, Officer) -- trying to get more bang for the buck.

The pursuit continues. Looking mostly at Tissot and Hamilton these days. Getting sidetracked by some Victorinox as well.

The pursuit continues. . .

Beware - that's how I started. I can control my watch adiction, anytime I want. . .

Although my passion is for hand-winding, I recently bought a quartz. I'd recommend anyone looking for an elegant, mature dress watch to type the words Seiko quartz into eBay.

That's how I came to buy this Seiko SQ 8222-7009 for less than $25 (shipped to Canada):

Seiko SQ 8222-7009

Vintage Seiko super quartz

First a word about super quartz - it doesn't mean anything, really. Seiko slapped the SQ badge onto everything with a battery inside in the early '80s. There are high-accuracy quartz movements that stay within a couple of seconds per year - just not in this watch. Seiko rated the 0822 movement plus or minus 15 seconds a month. Which is fine by me, considering that every six months I'm either moving an hour forward or backwards.

The bracelet doesn't do too much for me - next time I visit my watchmaker I'll have him put it on a brown leather band. (I've got a couple of handwinds that need servicing, while I'm at it.)

And a final geeky confession - I bought it because it's a dead ringer for the 4502 handwind King Seikos of the early '70s but. . . frankly I've spent all my money of frangrances!

My advice, for what it's worth: unless you want to wear short-sleeve shirts, avoid a diver or anything bigger than a 36mm diameter. Avoid chronos or too much.
    This advice is only sound if one's wrists are around 6.5".
    My wrists are 7" so anything smaller than 39mm appears very feminine on me. Almost like a lilliputian strapped to my wrists.

The 39mm I mean includes watch case too. Because , like in my Royal Oak, the case renders the watch to appear larger than 39".

My 44" Panerai PAM312

41" Milgauss GV

If you want extra "GV" apply freshly grated wasabi LOOOL

Royal oak (case makes it look larger than 39")

My wife wears a 36" Rolex. Shes tall at around 172cm.

for swap/sale:

Something similar to the swiss (and my personal favorite watch), the Stauer Midnight Flyboy 1916

and theres a different color too, though not as good in my opinion (Stauer Flyboy 1916)

You probably haven't heard of this company. They specialize in good looking, but wallet conscious, jewelry (both synthetic and natural), watches, and a few other things. Just ignore their obnoxious marketing gimmicks of putting a fictional story behind all of their products.

http://www.stauer.com/item/Midnight-...6-Watch/19406/
    http://www.stauer.com/item/Stauer-Fl...6-Watch/17479/

Dependent

give hamilton a look

Stick with seiko or citizen if you want something reasonably priced, well made , and classy. I prefer a leather band, but on a lot of watches the bands can be replaced and switched with metal down the road. Currently, I'm looking or particular ESQ chronograph. Calilove, yes Hamilon's are classic.