Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wink Round Two: Blind Sampling Madness Continues!

For those of you who are not familiar with what I've been up to, here's the link to the orignal post:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/285...s!-w-Giveaways!

For those of you who ARE familiar, welcome to Round Two, where more samples will be given away and an eventual winner will be decided.

But, before I move into Round Two, let's get to the Round One Wrap-Up

23 Samples were Originally Selected

Of those 23, 13 were eliminated. They were:

Carnal Flower
    Musc Ravageur
    Absolue Pour le Soir
    Must de Cartier
    Bigarade Concentree
    Gendarme 20 EDP
    Hermes Elixir Des Merveilles
    Vetiver Tonka
    N.R. For Him
    Montale Red Vetyver
    Caron Third Man
    Kouros
    Yatagan

The Absolue Pour Le Soir sample remains unclaimed. PM me if you want it.

All other samples were sent out to those who claimed them with the exception of Kouros, Yatagan, and For Him...which I'm keeping around to play with.

10 Samples Advanced to Round 2

In order of how I ranked them (1 = my favorite 10 = my least favorite) they are:

10. Straight to Heaven
    9. Frapin 1270
    8. Chanel Coromandel
    7. 1725 Casanova
    6. Gris Clair
    5. A Taste of Heaven
    4. Ambre Precieux
    3. Chanel Sycomore
    2. Ambre Sultan
    1. Tobacco Vanille

These 10 Samples will be subjected to an intense, round-robin style tournament/competition, which I will illustrate for you later within this thread.

I will also describe the criteria I'm using to score them, where they earn points, lose points, etc.

My goal is to find ONE that I will buy a new bottle of. That's the winner. And I may end up getting two, but who knows.

None of these are going to be sampled blind. I've already done that. ROUND 2 is all about head-to-head competition. More on that later.

My only regret in this whole process--kicking Musc Ravageur out pretty early on. I think I would have preferred it over Straight to Heaven.

Other than that, it was a lot of fun, and I'm anxious to begin Round 2. Let's duke it out!

Default Re: Round Two: Blind Sampling Madness Continues!

You're going to have to change your user name with all this sampling nonsense...

Quote Originally Posted by kmf View Post
    you're going to have to change your user name with all this sampling nonsense...
    lol!

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    You're going to have to change your user name with all this sampling nonsense...
    Sampling nonsense indeed. Wait till you see my tournament bracket!

Congrats to Common for winning the Absolue Pour Le Soir sample.

I just hope that by head-to-head, you don't mean wearing them both on the same day. That's no way to properly sample a fragrance, imo. Each one deserves a full wear with your usual application method.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I'm placing my bets on the TV!

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    I'm placing my bets on the TV!
    Hmmm....I dunno. Thinking Taste of Heaven myself.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

Tobacco Vanille..

Ambre Sultan as it's far superior to TV IMO and I think after one or two more wearings the spine of AS will make it the winner.
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I just hope that by head-to-head, you don't mean wearing them both on the same day. That's no way to properly sample a fragrance, imo. Each one deserves a full wear with your usual application method.
    No, don't worry, that would be a terrible idea!

I'm wearing one each day, back to back, and scoring them. I'll explain in more detail later (and post the bracket).

daddy needs a sample of tv or amber sultan :-)

My money is on the Sultan also.

In addition though, I'm also polling for the spot 9 and 10 underdogs: 1270 and Straight To Heaven.

If round two is as good as round one, then I'm looking forward to it.......

Im a little surprised to see taste of heaven advancing over MR.... I found a taste of heaven to smell EXACTLY like shaving cream
    "Stings the nostrils, in a good way. Im going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline."

Current Top 5:
    5.) Santa Maria Novella Muschio
    4.) Dior Homme Intense ( Vintage )
    3.) Dior La Collection Privee Ambre Nuit
    2.) Creed Aventus
    1.) Xerjoff Ibitira

I have to say of these (and of these that I know) Amber Sultan is my favorite.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Let's get this tournament started!

First...the Scoring Process

A fragrance will be worn for a minimum of 5 hours and judged on the following criteria with possible point totals:

Opening: 5 points
    Middle : 10 points
    Late Drydown: 5 points
    Price: 5 points (lower scores = more expensive)
    Longevity/Proj: 5 points
    Girl Friend Opinion: 5 points (she's a good arbitrary nose)
    Originality 5 points

That's a total of 40 points.

So, in other words, a PERFECT fragrance would score 40 out of 40 points, or 40/40.

For your sake, I will not be showing you how I scored each individual criteria, just the overall score, after I tallied it up.

Fragrances will be pitted against each other, and the one with the higher score will advance to the next round of the tournament. I'll reveal the score of each 'game' after they have both played and the results are in.

Now, here's the FUN PART for you. Fragrance samples will be given away as usual, as they are eliminated, however, a SPECIAL, SECRET PRIZE will be awarded to the participant who is able to guess the most correct outcomes of the tournament. Round 1 guesses are worth 1 point each, round 2, 2 points each, and the final is worth 3 points.

PM me with your complete tournament predictions before I post the results of Round 1's first game on Tuesday Night. I will not look at your predictions until the tournament is over. When you send the PM, make sure to give it the title, "Tournament Predictions." Your scores will be added up, and one winner will get a special prize.

So, without further ado, I present The Tounament Bracket. You'll notice I have divided the tournament into 2 conferences, a tribute to two of basenotes most prolific and respected fragrance reviewers.

Here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/3wl5gku

The first match-up in the tournament takes place in the OFFSCENTER conference between two members of the same house--Chanel. It is Cormandel Vs. Sycomore.

The second match-up is going to be between two lavender-centric fragrances, Gris Clair and A Taste of Heaven.

Results of both match-ups will be posted Monday night, along with some brief commentary.

So, get those predictions in if you're interested in participating!

I've ranked the scents for the sake of the tournament but there's no telling what I'll think the second time around, or which frag will shine through in the end.

Have fun!

Damn, BB....You ain't messin' around! Nicely done, sir.

For all you guys who sent in your predictions--I received them, just haven't looked at them (and won't until the end of the tourney).

Coromandel and Sycomore are finished squaring off, and now the battle between Gris Clair and A Taste of Heaven have begun. Tuesday night I'll post the results of these matches plus Tobacco Vanille Vs. Straight to Heaven.

Predictions are due by Tuesday: 8 p.m.

See ya!

Just got through with the Gris Clair/Taste of Heaven match-up...that was a good one.

Results coming Tuesday!

Results from the OFFSCENTER CONFERENCE Round 1 are in. Here they are:

http://tinyurl.com/63qzh4l

Notes and Comments

Tobacco Vanille Vs. Straight to Heaven: STH is a buttery smooth soft scent that to my nose smells like fine slightly fruity/boozy leather. However, I find it kind of boring and very linear. It doesn't provoke much a feeling and it's nothing I care to revisit. TV's vanilla is rich and delicious, and the tobacco and cloves/cinnamon add a wonderful spicy balance. This was no contest. Final score (30 to 20, TV)

Sycomore Vs. Coromandel I did not enjoy Coromandel this go round. I get a strong cleaning-fluid perfuminess in the opening that settles and improves somewhat in the mid but still hangs around enough for me to find it unpleasant. The drydown is nice, but not worth the wait, IMO. Sycomore's opening is fantastic--a slightly sweet, rich, nutty vetiver, extremely smooth that moves into a smokiness in the middle stage as it loses the sweet aspect. A great transition that occurs just at the right time. Excellent balance. The final stage is nearly identical to Encre Noir. Sycomore takes it easily, 30 to 24.5.

A Taste of Heaven Vs. Gris Clair What a fun matchup! And a close one. I find the lavender in the opening of ATOH so cool, crisp, fresh and uplifting. There is a wonderful clarity to it I haven't seen in any other lavender scents. ATOH balances the lavender and tonka perfectly in the middle stage, as the lavender settles and the tonka kicks in. I feel like it's all held together by the wormwood. The way ATOH develops is almost flawless. I wish I got a little more projection and longevity out of this one. Gris Clair was a solid competitor. The lavender opening was also fresh, but in an entirely different way--dark and smokey and spicy. There is a cararmelized aspect to it. Gris Clair, however, is fairly linear and it leaves me kind of unfulfilled--I'm waiting for it to do something. And while the honey-amber emerges somewhat, I find that the scent as a whole becomes somewhat tiresome after a while--it's there, but what is it doing? And how should I feel about it? Definitely an interesting and unique scent, but I would be more excited to wear ATOH. Final score ATOH 27.5, Gris Clair 27

BTW, I did a separate test with ATOH and Caron Pour Un Homme together (same day). And while there is a slight similarity--I found ATOH leagues above CPUH. It feels more modern, balanced, with better ingredients, much more complex transitions--basically superior in every way... and in a way I kind of wish I hadn't done it because I can't look at CPUH the same again. Is the difference a $200 difference? Possibly.

First person to PM me with the subject title "Tourney Losers" will receive what remains of the Coromandel, Straight to Heaven, and Gris Clair (I can't guarantee big samples as they've gone through 2 wears at this point).

Results from the FOETIDUS CONFERENCE this Friday.

Congrats to RRomani for winning the Coromandel, STH, and Gris Clair samples!

This is such an entertaining read - thanks for pulling this together and doing something novel and exciting (I'm pretty new here, so it's possible someone has done something like this before, but I'm not aware of it).

So far my bracket is looking good! I'm very interested to see how the ambers fare...

Glad to see A Taste Of Heaven advancing!

Very well thought out tests and a joy to read. Looking forward to the future installments!

I really like these threads - some of the best BN threads I've seen in awhile. (Is he clapping? I think so...) Blind sampling is definitely a good idea. I'll do this more in the future!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Glad you guys are enjoying the thread!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I really like these threads - some of the best BN threads I've seen in awhile. (Is he clapping? I think so...) Blind sampling is definitely a good idea. I'll do this more in the future!
    Agree 100%. One of the best threads.

I also like to sample a lot, but I'm not so good to describe so well as Buysblind and make it so amusing to others.

Thanks for your description of "A Taste of Heaven".
    "Gris Clair" is one of my current favourites, but now I've just got to sample ATOH - thanks to you...!!!!!!!

Like many others, I'm really enjoying this thread!

Grrrr. I thought that your blind sampling thread had vanished but you have been here with round two all along! I have lots of catching up to do.......

Hmm so when can we expect to see the second half results? Is it going to be a battle of the ambers in the next round?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Hmm so when can we expect to see the second half results? Is it going to be a battle of the ambers in the next round?
    Coming soon, Hobbes. 1725 and Ambre Precieux have to go up against each other a second time. It was too close to call! I'll post the results tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Coming soon, Hobbes. 1725 and Ambre Precieux have to go up against each other a second time. It was too close to call! I'll post the results tomorrow night.
    Nice, looking forward to it. A showdown between the two ambers would be interesting

No need to wait any longer, the results are in!

http://tinyurl.com/63qzh4l

Notes and Comments

1270 vs. Ambre Sultan

Frapin 1270 fell short the second time around. It came off flat and thin. And while I love the boozy, candied pinecone opening, it just goes down hill from there. Some scents become more robust as time goes by, some heat up and show they have more character than you may have thought, but at least on my skin, Frapin 1270 sort of withers away. Ambre Sultan on the other hand, gets better with time. My only concern is parts of it remind me very much of L'Air Du Desert Marocain, a scent I already own. Is it unique enough to warrant a purchase? I'll have to find out next round.

Ambre Precieux Vs. 1725 (Casanova)

My nose was stuffed up the first time these frags went to battle. I couldn't tell what was going on with either one. 1725 in particular, was very faint and weak. The second time around I was once again captivated by the addicting dry down of Ambre Precieux, and noticed it's a fairly unique scent in that I own nothing else like it. It's powdery, slightly feminine opening I'm not crazy about, but I like how it develops and love where it ends up. As far as 1725, there are some things about it I take issue with. It's very powdery, a little bit too powdery for my taste. There's also some note in it that comes off as sour on my skin in the middle stage. And I don't find it as interesting this time around as I did the first time. I have Le Male and Invasion Barbare, and I think they cover this type of frag more than sufficiently. So, 1725 gets the boot.

Can't send any samples out this time, sorry. There's no juice left in the ones that lost. You'd be getting maybe one spray.

Round 3 is going to be a good one! We have a Taste of Heaven squaring off with Sycomore (the winner will face Tobacco Vanille) and a battle of classic ambers--Ambre Sultan vs. Ambre Precieux. In Round 3 I'll be putting these up to intense scrutiny and two days of wearings for each. I've actually had to order more samples of these frags as I'm running low on juice. So as long as they arrive on time, I hope to have the results up by next Monday.

Stay tuned, there'll be some good giveaways in the next round.

Love the thread

... so disappointed that 1270 didn't advance.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
    Love the thread

... so disappointed that 1270 didn't advance.

Yeah...I'm wondering if maybe the juice in the sample vial was a little old or if it was from a bad batch or something because especially this second go-round it felt really thin and flat. And most of what I've heard about 1270 is that it's deep and rich. And it seems like the type of scent that should be.

Glad you're enjoying the thread!

I'm 6/6 now. Only 4 more to go....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I'm 6/6 now. Only 4 more to go....

Nice! I haven't checked anybody's predictions yet. I'm saving them till the end. I'll have the A Taste of Heaven vs. Sycomore results up tomorrow.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 10th November 2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: error

Be curious as to how you compare LDDM to Ambre Sultan. I ordered a sample of AS when I ordered my Idole EDP

Okay, the results are in for ROUND 2 .

You can take a look at them here...

http://tinyurl.com/3wl5gku

Comments and Notes

Taste of Heaven Vs. Sycomore

I'm really starting to fall for ATOH. It crushed Sycomore this time around. The lavender in the opening is so fresh, clear and crisp and every transition it makes thereafter is perfect. Such a calming, comfortable, but also uplifting scent. It's also interesting, always changing ever so subtly. Sycomore, while very good, didn't wow me so much this time around, and reminded me very much of Encre Noir after an hour or so.

Ambre Sultan Vs. Ambre Precieux

Precieux with the unexpected victory! A battle of classic ambers...Ambre Precieux ended up winning for a couple of reasons: 1) Ambre Sultan has a note that is slightly off-putting to me, I believe it's a top note, slightly dark and sour, it could be myrrh...I think it's in some other Lutens perfumes...The dusty, spicy opening, while different, isn't completely appealing to me, and I like how it's done in LDDM more...this stage persists for some time, before finally wearing down to the sweet amber base, which I like. 2) Ambre Precieux has an opening unlike anything else I own...it's powdery, slightly spicy, slightly fresh...at times I'm not sure how to take it, but it keeps me interested and I like it more as time moves on, then as it develops, the most beautiful, warm, powdery vanilla amber emerges and it's won me over. I could see myself wearing Precieux often, and enjoying it quite a bit. Ambre Sultan, not as much.

Well, right now ATOH and Tobacco Vanille are fighting it out to see who plays Ambre Precieux in the finals. Either way, Ambre Precieux will have a very tough match up. I'm quickly falling in love with ATOH and can easily see it as a key part of my wardrobe and I think Tobacco Vanille might be the best gourmand I have ever had the chance of sampling. However, Precieux has this addictive, slightly mysterious quality to it that continues to win me over. And the amber drydown is amazing.

Results of the Tobacco Vanille vs ATOH match up by Wednesday. Then it's the finals.

So, how are your predictions turning out?

Haha, my predictions were SO off.

This is such an interesting project. Which of the three will win...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post

I haven't looked yet. I'm saving those for the end.

Can't wait to see your predictions!

I've started guessing well... now I think I'm out too. LOL

I hope to guess right at least the winner !

FINAL RESULTS TOMORROW NIGHT, 11/17, and I WILL ANNOUNCE THE WINNER

Hey guys, don't want you to think I abandoned this post right at the critical moment. I faced a delay with some samples running out and the backups arriving late and I've also been putting them through a lot of tests.

It's Ambre PrecieuX against either Tobacco Vanille or A Taste of Heaven.

I'll be sure to post the results up tomorrow, as well as announce the winner of the competition.

Stay Tuned!

The RESULTS Are In. We Have a Winner!!!

What originally began on October 3rd as a blind sampling contest of 22 fragrances has finally come to end. And today, November 18, The 10 fragrance, bracket-style tournament has reached a conclusion of surprising results.

And of course, for those who sent in your tournament predictions, I have just tallied up your scores (twice, to make sure I got it right). One Basenoter came out ahead in the end, though it's interesting to note that NOBODY correctly guessed the tournament winner. And if you had asked me to guess the winner two weeks ago, even I wouldn't have been able to guess correctly.

Without further ado, I present to you The FINAL Bracket:

http://tinyurl.com/cgu8h85

That's right--Ambre Precieux!

I couldn't be happier with my final selection either.

In Round 3 and 4 Ambre Precieux, Taste of Heaven, and Tobaccco Vanille were remaining. I introduced a new category into my scoring system, " Intrigue and Interest ". The category presented a possible point value of 5.

IMO, the intrigue and continual interest a scent creates is a very important component of a fragrance. Not only does this include the obvious development of the scent as it approaches the dry down, but it also involves the subtleties and ambiguities within each stage of development--their various textures, calibrations, contrasts, and harmonies--and what these ultimately present to the wearer on the whole. When finely tuned, these aspects create what I can only describe as an "addictiveness" inherent in the fragrance.

Tobacco Vanille, while a delicious gourmand, severely lacked in this category, imo, and this is one reason why it lost to A Taste of Heaven. TV is a mostly linear scent, and although it is deep and rich in all its goodness, it is also fairly simple. By the 3rd time I had sampled TV, I felt as if I was thoroughly familiar with it, and while I still enjoyed it, at times it would bore me or feel as if it was 'just there,' doing little to hold my attention.

Ambre Precieux on the other hand excelled in this category of "Interest and Intrigue." While sampling it for the 3rd time I felt I was only beginning to 'scrape the surface,' so to speak. I found myself repeatedly sniffing my wrist while wearing it, picking up on small nuances each time. Even more, I also found myself thinking about it on days when I was not wearing it. As a result, the idea of having a nice big bottle of the stuff--to use freely and really allow myself to go crazy with--became more and more attractive. In the end, I think this is what put Ambre Precieux over the top.

I thought for a while that A Taste of Heaven was going to win. It was a very tough call between this and AP. I definitely wouldn't mind picking up a bottle somewhere down the road.

But for now, it's Ambre Precieux. The perfumer is Jean-Francois Laporte.

Coincidentally, I discovered that my favorite review of Ambre Precieux, which puts my feelings about it into words much more precise and accurate than I ever could, comes from the man for whom its Tournament Conference was named after--Foetidus. His review states:

A strikingly unusual fragrance. The opening features lavender — not the creamy floral lavender of so many fragrances, but the herbal aromatic lavender of so few fragrances — the lavender I love. This great lavender is combined with a floral for body, amber and vanilla for sweet, wood for a base, and spice for...spice. These create such an excellent accord that is very difficult to categorize or describe. I think what I like about it is that it is aromatic but not green, full but not rich, sweet but not sweet, and sophisticated but not in the least stuffy. In the middle notes, the fragrance loses most of its aromatics and takes on some spices — particularly nutmeg, to my nose. The amber and the vanilla stay prominent, but they never seem to make the scent too sweet. The drydown retains the amber to a lesser potency and provides a satisfying and sensibly sweet close-to-the-skin experience. As Marlen says, the amber in Amber Précieux is excellent for those who often find amber cloying or too sweet. I now have a new favorite amber fragrance — Ambre Précieux has replaced Ambre Sultan for top honors in the amber category. Ambre Précieux offers compelling and original olfactory wonders, but it also is so wonderfully wearable.

Well, this was tons of fun. I'm off to order a bottle.

Thanks to all of you who followed the thread and offered kind words along the way. And thanks to those of you who entered the tournament. You made it fun for me to do. I'm posting your scores below. There was one winner.

The winning prize is a choice of one of the following: 1) a $20 gift certificate to The Perfumed Court 2) One 5ml decant of any fragrance from my wardrobe or two, 2.5 ml decants 3) a 4 ml Fahrenheit Mini Collector's Bottle or 4) a 1.7 oz bottle of Jil Sander Sander for Men....opened, but 100% full with box, bottle and cap.

Participants' Scores

Partario: 1

Mhek: 3

Living Dead: 4

vbs: 4 (love the way you filled out the bracket!)

Morrison: 5

RRomani: 5

Hobbes: 6 (CONGRATULATIONS! YOU ARE THE WINNER! PM ME WITH YOUR PRIZE!)
    Last edited by Buysblind; 19th November 2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: AESTHETICS

+ 1

A most interesting exercise. And Now I have to go out and sample Ambre Precieux. Sad because i ordered Ambre Sultan this week, but I still love the Suntan!

Thanks for the intrigue.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

+ 1

LOL

I should send you the Kouros sample as a consolation prize!

LOL

I should send you the Kouros sample as a consolation prize!
    Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    A most interesting exercise. And Now I have to go out and sample Ambre Precieux. Sad because i ordered Ambre Sultan this week, but I still love the Suntan!

Thanks for the intrigue.

They're sooo different Akahina, so don't worry about it. You'll either dislike Ambre Precieux and not want to get it anyway, or, if you do like it, you'll see you could own both and it would be completely warranted.

Enjoy the Sultan!

Awesome thread! Really enjoyed following it.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

This competition's been rigged I tells you, RIGGED!!

Wow.... almost! LOL

Great competition. Now wanna try Ambre Precieux!

Hey Buysblind, I'll be waiting for the next competition.

You deserve a bottle. Go get it!

I'd just like to say thank you, Buysblind......

This has been a most informative and entertaining exercise - I've really enjoyed following it, and I've learnt from it too.

I need to get a sample of the winner now, because of you...!!!....

No doubt it'll be quickly followed by a full bottle purchase.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I'd just like to say thank you, Buysblind......

This has been a most informative and entertaining exercise - I've really enjoyed following it, and I've learnt from it too.

I need to get a sample of the winner now, because of you...!!!....

No doubt it'll be quickly followed by a full bottle purchase.

Cheers!

My pleasure, thanks!

Buysblind, I'd also like to sincerely thank you - this has been such an interesting and fun thread.

I come to basenotes mostly to learn and discuss fragrances, yet sometimes a thread comes along that also entertains and excites - this thread has done that. I looked forward to each update.

I'm sure you've made others curious about the fragrances in this tournament, and I'm going to reevaluate all the top performing candidates with a refreshed perspective. I have a sample of Ambre Precioux in front of me right now so I can see what the fuss is all about

Thanks again for putting all this together, as well as your generosity. You turned the solitary act of sampling fragrances into an engaging experience that you shared with this community (both knowledge and gifts of samples/fragrances) - hopefully others will find new and unique ways to do likewise.

It's clear you have a passion for this, and I'm grateful it's contagious. Hats off to you, good sir! Best of luck in your future fragrance adventures

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Buysblind, I'd also like to sincerely thank you - this has been such an interesting and fun thread.

I come to basenotes mostly to learn and discuss fragrances, yet sometimes a thread comes along that also entertains and excites - this thread has done that. I looked forward to each update.

I'm sure you've made others curious about the fragrances in this tournament, and I'm going to reevaluate all the top performing candidates with a refreshed perspective. I have a sample of Ambre Precioux in front of me right now so I can see what the fuss is all about

Thanks again for putting all this together, as well as your generosity. You turned the solitary act of sampling fragrances into an engaging experience that you shared with this community (both knowledge and gifts of samples/fragrances) - hopefully others will find new and unique ways to do likewise.

It's clear you have a passion for this, and I'm grateful it's contagious. Hats off to you, good sir! Best of luck in your future fragrance adventures

It's been a blast!

I'm thinking about making this an annual thing, as each year I'll be looking for a new cold weather fragrance.

You know, it gets to a point where you have so many fragrances it doesn't make sense to keep buying lots of them, yet the compulsion to do so is still there. This sampling tournament was able to tithe me over for several months without making a purchase and when I finally did, it felt well worth it. And the tournament and all of your inquiries and the contests made it lots of fun along the way.

But Basenotes is great. In the real world none of my friends have the slightest intrerest in fragrances and it becomes stifling not being able to share the hobby with anyone. So this place is awesome, and a great escape from the everyday rigmarole.

Thanks for participating guys!

It's been a blast!

I'm thinking about making this an annual thing, as each year I'll be looking for a new cold weather fragrance.

You know, it gets to a point where you have so many fragrances it doesn't make sense to keep buying lots of them, yet the compulsion to do so is still there. This sampling tournament was able to tithe me over for several months without making a purchase and when I finally did, it felt well worth it. And the tournament and all of your inquiries and the contests made it lots of fun along the way.

But Basenotes is great. In the real world none of my friends have the slightest intrerest in fragrances and it becomes stifling not being able to share the hobby with anyone. So this place is awesome, and a great escape from the everyday rigmarole.

Thanks for participating guys!
    I seem to remember that at least one member was considering doing a similar "competition" and I would encourage that. This has been fun for all of us. I am considering doing one myself with oud scents. I have about a dozen different samples of oud fragrances (no real oil) and have not sampled more than about 3 of them, except to smell them out of the vial. Don't want to be a copycat and I fear that my nose is not as trained in the different notes and that my descriptions will not be as interesting as yours have been.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I went to look at your last ten, and wow, nice list. I did get to try some by Kilians, and they are quality but too something for me

So, you got me interested in Ambre Precieux. I did try Lutens Ambre Sultan, wife thought it spicy (Huh?) and I can see where some say it has an oregano-like note, but after three hours, wow, I was captivated and it lasted another 5 easy. I think LDDM has amber and I love LDDM. How does Ambre Prexcieux compare to both of those? I also am considering Historie de Parfums Ambre 114
    Last edited by finsfan; 22nd November 2011 at 03:27 PM.