Code of Conduct
    Dependent

Default Dior Fahrenheit without the Honeysuckle

Hey there. I was pretty intrigued by the petroleum and violet leaf notes in Dior Fahrenheit but I found the honeysuckle / floral accord too sweet for my taste. Can you recommend something similar but less sweet/floral? No birch tar/leather please. Thanks!

Default Re: Dior Fahrenheit without the Honeysuckle

Pure Men Silver has the "Fahrenheit" vibe, but not very much comes close IMO.

If the petroleum accord is what you're looking for, ya may wanna try Nicole Miller for men. It combines the petroleum note, along with leather, and a great apple note. It's nothing like Fahrenheit, but it does have that dirty "car oil" smell. None of the honeysuckle.

But to be honest, nothing is really in the same league as Fahrenheit.

Olympios by Missoni , is Fahreinheits twin brother , & it doesnt have a honeysuckle note .
    Worth a try .

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Pure Men Silver has the "Fahrenheit" vibe, but not very much comes close IMO.
    Hm my research into Pure Men Silver turned up nothing, who makes it?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    If the petroleum accord is what you're looking for, ya may wanna try Nicole Miller for men. It combines the petroleum note, along with leather, and a great apple note. It's nothing like Fahrenheit, but it does have that dirty "car oil" smell. None of the honeysuckle
    As I mentioned, I don't like leather. Synthetic fruit notes are among my least favorite as well. It's the combination of intense green and petroleum that intrigues me about Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 29th October 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Monkeybars!!! The honeysuckle is what moves Fahrenheit from a good scent to a great scent!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rompip View Post
    Monkeybars!!! The honeysuckle is what moves Fahrenheit from a good scent to a great scent!
    Hehe. There are some beautifully fragrant honeysuckle bushes in my neighborhood and I must say, that is definitely not real honeysuckle absolute in Fahrenheit. Even if it did smell natural on me, it's a rather feminine accord to my nose.

Or maybe it's hawthorn. Either way it don't work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Hehe. There are some beautifully fragrant honeysuckle bushes in my neighborhood and I must say, that is definitely not real honeysuckle absolute in Fahrenheit. Even if it did smell natural on me, it's a rather feminine accord to my nose.

Or maybe it's hawthorn. Either way it don't work for me...
    To each their own. That is the reason you started this thread!

I have a honeysuckle bush outside my kitchen and when its blooming, the sweet gorgeousness is very heady in the evenings. I find the honeysuckle in Fahrenheit a pretty accurate rendition of this. I tend to be extremely sensitive and nauseated by cheap synthetics, but I must say I dont get that vibe from fahrenheit.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Olympios by Missoni , is Fahreinheits twin brother , & it doesnt have a honeysuckle note .
    Worth a try .
    Thanks Dimitrios. Can anyone comment on whether Olympios has a strong leather component? I can't stand birch tar.

It's a simple, no brainer. This:

The Bark Bites Back.

I find Paul Smith London very similar to Fahrenheit. I prefer the dry down better of London as well

MonkeyBars .... No leather note .
    I found the following ....

Olympios by designer Missoni was launched in 1994.

Top notes >> Grapefruit - Bergamot - Melon
    Middle notes >> Narcisse - Muguet - Violet
    Base notes >> Blue Freesia - Peony - Tuscan Iris.

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    It's a simple, no brainer. This:

Interesting reports on that ... sounds like people are missing the loud petroleum a little, and incense doesn't always agree with me. Perhaps this will be a bit similar to Bond's Harrod Swarovski, otoh. Looking into it

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Olympios by designer Missoni was launched in 1994.

Top notes >> Grapefruit - Bergamot - Melon
    Middle notes >> Narcisse - Muguet - Violet
    Base notes >> Blue Freesia - Peony - Tuscan Iris.
    Thanks Dimitrios, but that sounds quite floral, and Melon almost always means Calone, which I can't stand either. Ah well

People ..
    My quick cut & paste earlier just didn't sound complete .
    I got the makeup below from scent direct & its got a base ! .
    They list it as a Fresh-Chypre

TOP NOTES - Bergamot - Green Note - Lemon - Mace - Violet
    MIDDLE NOTES - Jasmin, Lily of the Valley, Orris, Rose
    BASE NOTES - Amber, Cedar, Musk, Oakmoss, Sandal, Tonka

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dependent

Thanks Dimitrios. Do you detect any melon in Olympios? What about the jasmine and lily of the valley. Would you say it is as floral-sweet as Fahrenheit, or less/more?

Dependent

Okay I got a bottle of Olympios and it was kind of in the wrong direction; very similar to Fahrenheit but even a little sweeter and without the nice petroleum accord. Also the drydown had an unpleasant funky sweat vibe that I didn't like. I have a bottle of Zents Ore on the way, will report back...

Try Aqua Fahrenheit to see if its what you are looking for. Otherwise, Dunhill Fresh, Paul Smith for Men (the square green bottle stuff), or Kiton Black.

Dependent

Zents Ore turned out to be nice, though it's more floral than Fahrenheit. It features the lovely jasmine sambac - violet leaf accord that I stumbled upon in my own blendings a few years ago, with a light vetiver-iris-musk drydown (much more transparent than Fahrenheit). Unisex imo.

Turns out the issue was the new Fahrenheit just sucks.

I picked up some vintage (late 90s) juice and it's much better. It's even more floral, ironically, but the quality of the ingredients is so much higher. No weird plastic vibe and the ozone top is toned down and more natural. So that satisfies me for the time being.

Now I'd like something in the same vein with no ozone. Still haven't tried PS London, maybe I ought to. The comparisons to the catastrophic Greenergy have me on edge.

Today I wore Monsieur Lancetti. This one has a fougere accord, sharp herbs, and the violet leaf thing up front. The violet lasts a long time. This is moderately sweet, though not sweet relative to recent sweet ones. I think tobacco is supposed to be in here but if so it's more of a background hum. Not much in terms of base notes so far, just a lot of the violet with sweetness, along with the herbs/fougere accord taking a back seat but present.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I find Paul Smith London very similar to Fahrenheit. I prefer the dry down better of London as well
    You sure that's the right scent? Rum/brandy with a slight coconut vibe?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Today I wore Monsieur Lancetti. This one has a fougere accord, sharp herbs, and the violet leaf thing up front. The violet lasts a long time. This is moderately sweet, though not sweet relative to recent sweet ones. I think tobacco is supposed to be in here but if so it's more of a background hum. Not much in terms of base notes so far, just a lot of the violet with sweetness, along with the herbs/fougere accord taking a back seat but present.
    Thanks for the heads up Bigs. You said in your review that it's not sweet though, so I'm a little confused here.

Diavolo by Antonio Banderas, yes a cheapy. Has a striking resemblance to Fahrenheit. Problem for me is the dry down is dominated by a cheap musk, but the opening is great.. Very much like Fahrenheit.

Lucky #6 is also a good one. Reminds me of Fahrenheit, with an added blueberry note to the top.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Dependent

Thanks for the tips TC. Lucky #6 was awful. "Berry" registers as "disgusting chemical mess" to me. Ever smell a blueberry? They don't smell much like the stuff in perfumes, when they smell at all.

Fahrenheit is one of those real outlier fragrances. There are a number of them out there, but usually they aren't as huge a success as F. When a new outlier becomes successful, it is commonly used as an "island base" from which new variations are created, and the "stylistic map" is filled in. However, with F, it seems that the theme is not as amenable to variations. There are plenty of knockoffs out there, but very few "inspired by"s. Maybe it's one of those formulae like Heinz Ketchup, where any variation from the balance of notes is a worsening.