Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Violet accord using naturals

Well I am using the star anise as a substitute for the 1,4-Dimethoxybenzene, which seems to be a key component, and is said by Bojensen ( http://www.bojensen.net/EssentialOil...s31.htm#Violet -- this website is a fantastic resource BTW) to have a "sweet herbal anisic odor". I imagine another anise oil would be good or even better than star anise, but that's all I have for anise. It is also said to be reminiscent of Ylang's top notes, so I will try that too when I get around to it. Probably needs a light touch...

On shikimic acid, I was aware of the bird flu/Tamiflu connection due to my work in the health field. Plus I really like star anise as used in Chinese cooking; the smell is comforting to me.

Jamie Frater

I know this is an old thread but for those who might be doing something similar I thought I would mention that Jasmine Flexile absolute is a nicer alternative to other jasmines for a violet accord as it has a higher amount of methyl salicylate in it which is found in violet roots. It still gives you the benefits of jasmine absolute but with a more violet-oriented flavor. It's expensive but you don't need much.
    Currently wearing: Chypre de Coty by Coty

Quote Originally Posted by jfrater View Post
    I know this is an old thread but for those who might be doing something similar I thought I would mention that Jasmine Flexile absolute is a nicer alternative to other jasmines for a violet accord as it has a higher amount of methyl salicylate in it which is found in violet roots. It still gives you the benefits of jasmine absolute but with a more violet-oriented flavor. It's expensive but you don't need much.
    Will seek it out. Jasmines and any types of copies/derivatives are so precious.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers
    Twitter - Follow @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Ambergris by Houbigant

Jamie Frater

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    Will seek it out. Jasmines and any types of copies/derivatives are so precious.
    I absolutely recommend the flexile from White Lotus. It is pricey but worth it. Flexile is an interesting jasmine - very tuberose like - it would be extremely useful in a tuberose accord if you can't afford tuberose absolute. Flexile is probably the driest of all the jasmines I have smelt but it certainly has some amazing redeeming qualities in its more complex odour profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    It's been a good few years since I grew scented violets in my garden but as I remember the scent wasn't as far from the parma violet sweets as you might expect. I'm a huge fan of violet creams and crystallised violet petals and they both have a similar distinctive scent to them, though I suspect that is coming from the artificial flavouring rather than violet petals.

I'm sure I've read the same about violet tincture and ditto the violet petal absolute (last made in 1902 or something of the sort) being bright green rather than violet coloured.
    Ok, since I'm lost on my Violet accord - I thought about getting the candy for some reference (and for my sweet tooth). But I see there are a few brands.. Which are the BEST?

Not sure this is relevant, but here's a blog post I found from the Smelly Blog.. She mentions Lavender could be useful (which is how I found it - had this thought and Googled it)

http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.co.i...v-violets.html

Jamie Frater

Quote Originally Posted by Nizan View Post
    Ok, since I'm lost on my Violet accord - I thought about getting the candy for some reference (and for my sweet tooth). But I see there are a few brands.. Which are the BEST?
    Chowards - hands down. Even Luca Turin says they are the closest thing to the smell of real violets he has ever found in something synthetic.

Just ordered a few

There's an old analysis which clamis the absolute has a lot of Zingibrene and Curcumene.. Even though it's quite surprising, I smelled a strip of Turmeric CO2 along with my accord.. It gives it that herbal dirtiness.. I might even end up using a trace!