Code of Conduct

Default Frapin 1697: EDP vs. Limited Absolu; Compare and Contrast

I'm finding that I do like this one a bit more each time I put it on. I have 2ml or so of the limited Absolu and am currently considering going full bottle. My only gripe with it at the moment is that the opening for the first few hours is as claustrophobic and dense as all get out IMO, and was wondering if anyone out there has tried out the more recently released non-limited 100ml EDP concentration, and what your thoughts are on it, especially if you've smelled both.

I've read that the EDP is supposed to be a lower concentration by like 2% or somewhere around there, and was thinking that maybe in that concentration the top and mid might have a little bit more breathing room and projection. If anyone has any info or is also just curious about the two as well, I'd be interested to hear it.

Default Re: Frapin 1697: EDP vs. Limited Absolu; Compare and Contrast

I have purchased the EDP, that is, I placed an order for it but it hasn't arrived yet. Should be here first week in November.

It`s def. on my wish list. I`m quite impressed with the scents from this house.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

is this the one they released as a uber limited edition for a bunch of scratch a few months back? if so and if I bought a bottle, I'd be pissed!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    is this the one they released as a uber limited edition for a bunch of scratch a few months back? if so and if I bought a bottle, I'd be pissed!
    The limited edition that you have is a higher concentration, so it most likely progresses and smells a bit different (at least I would assume). I'm curious about the EDP that's just been released of the same scent, and which of the two I'd prefer to own.
    Last edited by Partario; 29th October 2011 at 12:30 PM.

My main curiosity is how the two compare in terms of longevity and sillage. 2% could make a big difference but it could also be mostly negligible.

Denise of graindemusc stated there was a big difference in 'diffusiveness' when it came to a small concentration. I love my limited edition 50ml bottle of 1697 but I really have to spray...er...quite a bit to satisfy my level of sillage. I would love to see if the new version has a more sillage.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have purchased the EDP, that is, I placed an order for it but it hasn't arrived yet. Should be here first week in November.
    Let us know how it fares when your bottle arrives.

It's been about ten days. Time to bump this mess.

Just curious if there was any verdict on how the EDP compares to the Limited Absolu...if anyone who has experienced both can weigh in, I'd be very grateful. Especially looking to hear how they compare in the sillage department. Thx!

for me the edp has more sillage and a better longlivety but is not that "rich" like the absolu, you´re more able to recognize the notes than with the absolu and it´s not that sweet like the absolu

Thanks, BillyD! After resurrecting this thread, I've been trying to convince myself that I truly don't "need" the 1697 in either form. I've beeen trying to content myself with my bottle of 1270 that I still marginally prefer to the 1697 - at least in its EDP version. Of course, this newfound restraint may be very short lived.

Bump! Very surprised to find out... now... that 1967 is now a part of the regular line. I bought the square bottle (which is supposed to be the concentrée?), and I am wondering why everybody says that it doesn't have much sillage... on me it is a sillage Frankenstein! One of the elite members of my collection for sure, and probably the lushest, more complex perfume I have got...

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Bump! Very surprised to find out... now... that 1967 is now a part of the regular line. I bought the square bottle (which is supposed to be the concentrée?), and I am wondering why everybody says that it doesn't have much sillage... on me it is a sillage Frankenstein! One of the elite members of my collection for sure, and probably the lushest, more complex perfume I have got...
    Yep...I'd probably be a bit miffed if I had purchased the absolute thinking that it was a limited run and now, everyone saying that the EDP actually has better sillage, which incidentally, I don't understand either...but looking to be educated. I love the bottle design of the absolute form but I'm still trying to decide if either version is truly FBW for me...for whatever reason, a FB of 1270 was a much easier decision for me - I just love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveau Nez View Post
    Yep...I'd probably bit a bit miffed if I had purchased the absolute thinking that it was a limited run and now everyone saying that the EDT actually has better sillage, which incidentally, I don't understand either...but looking to be educated. I love the bottle design of the absolute form but I'm still trying to decide if either version is truly FBW for me...for whatever reason, a FB of 1270 was a much easier decision for me - I just love it.
    I like both, but love 1697. It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea though, as it is VERY heavy... way more than 1270, which just prickles on your skin, rather than 1967, which seems to spread like honey on you...

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    One of the elite members of my collection for sure, and probably the lushest, more complex perfume I have got...
    For sure. It's definitely one complex beast. I'm still on the fence though concerning which of the two concentrations I want to spring for. I got a chance to smell the EDP, but I didn't put any on (which I regret now), so all I have to go off of is my decant of the absolu. If there's anyone who's had a chance to try out both, I'd be interested to hear their opinion on how the two compare.

I play:

Wearing the absolu today, and I think I've crossed the threshold from liking it a lot to loving it, especially in this cold weather. One of the few scents I've smelled with a definitive swagger about it. However this brings me back to my initial question posted a few months back;

Which concentration to get?

I've been wearing a decant of the absolu for the last few months, but I've only been able to smell the EdP once when I was in Los Angeles around New Years time at the Scent Bar. It smelled the same to me, but since I didn't get to test drive it, I'm not exactly sure how it compares projection and longevity wise, and I have no where to test it locally. If there are any others who have worn both, I'd really appreciate a variety of input, or even if you've just worn the EdP, I'd be curious how it does with projection, longevity, and sillage for you.

I've had the Absolu since it was released and I sniffed the EDP a few times and it smelt exactly the same. I'm sure the EDP has way more sillage given it's slightly less dense than the Absolu.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I've had the Absolu since it was released and I sniffed the EDP a few times and it smelt exactly the same. I'm sure the EDP has way more sillage given it's slightly less dense than the Absolu.
    Oddly enough, at first it was the dense and cluttered quality about it that made me unsure as to weather I even liked it. After repeated wearings though, I found this to be a big part of it's charm, and think it would be a shame to lose some of that if it was thinned out too much. It's complex in a way that's worth understanding and quite rewarding if one has the inclination and patience.

Like you said though, as far as I remember the smells were quite similar. Just wish I had actually tried the EDP on my skin, and I'm wondering how well the longevity performs, as I'll still catch whiffs of the absolu like 20+ hours after application.