Code of Conduct

Default Costume National Homme

Just popped into Sephora for a quick browse and on the way out I noticed a small display stand with a few Costume National scents on there. I sprayed a little of homme on my arm and I'm quite impressed, it reminds me a LOT of the original Comme des Garcons parfum. Looking at the notes of both, they seem to share a lot of common ground.

First impressions is it's strong! Waiting now for it to dry down, but so far so good, this may have to be my next purchase.

Default Re: Costume National Homme

I bought a bottle of this and even though I don't wear it often (well, I don't really wear anything often!) I really like it and would never consider selling/trading it for something else.
    For a men's niche scent (is Costume National considered niche?) it just feels like a really complete scent, if that makes sense? I don't know about you guys but with many niche scents they can sometimes feel a bit too much of one thing only - oh, this is pretty much all tobacco or vetiver or incense or vanilla, which is cool too, but sometimes I just want to put something on that doesn't feel note specific. Just smells good and well rounded and complete. This fragrance definitely feels this way for me.

PS It calms down considerably past the 15 minute mark but it does last ALL day on skin.

Sorry! Double post.
    Last edited by Leo123; 30th October 2011 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo123 View Post
    is Costume National considered niche?
    Nope because they design clothes. I quite liked Costume National Homme but will need to re-test it again, sometime in the near future.

Sur la Plage

It is a very good fragrance. I highly recommend it.

This is one fine fragrance; I love it!

Not surprising the comments on this one its a Dominque Ropion creation. The others of note are both the CN 21 + CN Scent.

Recently purchased this for a friend as a gift as he's a fan of the clothing line.

Never tried Homme, just 21 and quite liked.
    Homme or Scent Intense, wich one to try first?

I prefer Homme D4N13L 21 is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Just popped into Sephora for a quick browse and on the way out I noticed a small display stand with a few Costume National scents on there. I sprayed a little of homme on my arm and I'm quite impressed, it reminds me a LOT of the original Comme des Garcons parfum. Looking at the notes of both, they seem to share a lot of common ground.

First impressions is it's strong! Waiting now for it to dry down, but so far so good, this may have to be my next purchase.
    I'm interested in trying this one out...... whereabouts on Pluto is the Sephora store?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by d4N13L View Post
    Never tried Homme, just 21 and quite liked.
    Homme or Scent Intense, wich one to try first?
    I think you would prefer Homme.

taking this into consideration cdg is not niche either

I thought nowadays that a fragrance isn't disqualified from the niche category just because the company produces other products? Don't many people refer to Tom Ford Private Blends as niche due to its characteristics, despite Ford producing clothing in the same Tom Ford brand?

Anyways, I am curious about this one. I have always thought they had an odd name, but nevertheless heard good things about them.

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    Not surprising the comments on this one its a Dominque Ropion creation. The others of note are both the CN 21 + CN Scent.
    Don't forget Scent Intense. Masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    I thought nowadays that a fragrance isn't disqualified from the niche category just because the company produces other products? Don't many people refer to Tom Ford Private Blends as niche due to its characteristics, despite Ford producing clothing in the same Tom Ford brand?
    Designer houses have recently made the habit of launching 'niche lines' but they're still designer. It's like a major music label setting up a subsidiary 'indie' label - the music's still bankrolled by a major, regardless of the subsidiary's objectives.

For those who complain about insisting on such a distinction are missing the point - niche lines are no less of an exercise in deception than those very pseudo indie music labels.

It's about acquiring further credibility, which is a very lucrative business.

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I'm interested in trying this one out...... whereabouts on Pluto is the Sephora store?
    Quite a few department stores in the UK sell this so you should be able to find a place to try it in the Midlands.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

@d4N13L Homme or Scent Intense, wich one to try first?

Try both at the same time - as they are completely different fragrances. Homme is a spicey wood and Scent Intense is a sweeter, inkier amber.

I've layered both together a few times because the contrast is quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Designer houses have recently made the habit of launching 'niche lines' but they're still designer. It's like a major music label setting up a subsidiary 'indie' label - the music's still bankrolled by a major, regardless of the subsidiary's objectives.

For those who complain about insisting on such a distinction are missing the point - niche lines are no less of an exercise in deception than those very pseudo indie music labels.

It's about acquiring further credibility, which is a very lucrative business.

I'm hearing ya on the 'designer' houses releasing 'niche' fragrance lines, but do you think in the case of Costume National and CdG they're not considered designer fashion houses anyway?

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I most probably am!) but do you think these two houses, for example, can be categorized as niche in terms of clothing (distribution is limited & they design more creative and individualized style garments) so would not their fragrance line (if it adheres to these same principles) be categorized as niche as well?

Did anything I just say make sense? Lol

I agree that CNpH is a really nice scent, and I really enjoy wearing it, too. However, I don't quite follow the part about it being more "rounded" and less based on one particular note, because to me, CNpH is a total cinnamon bomb, and you gotta really like that one note to even consider wearing it. CNpH reminds me somewhat of Diptyque's Eau Lente, although EL's opononax explosion is replaced with cinnamon in CNpH, but they share that very comfortable warm and rich spiciness.
    As for niche vs. non-niche - I think the very clear-cut distinction between designer and niche is a little pointless, especially if it means that the fact that a company designs clothes automatically turns any fragrance line they might also release into a non-niche line. That would result in the, at least to me, strained logic of, say, Guerlain and Estée Lauder being niche scent companies, even though they have them everywhere, and CdG and CN perfumes being designer frags, though they can be pretty hard to find (as a number of posts suggest). Isn't niche more a question of how easily available the products are or, more importantly, how wide their mass-market appeal is (or is meant to be)? That they're supposed to be different from what you can find anywhere? Otherwise things get a little complicated - say Le Labo or Serge Lutens suddenly for whatever reason felt like releasing a clothes line, for example, would that mean that their fragrances would turn from niche to designer? Does that make sense? Or if CdG stopped designing clothes, their perfume line-up would suddenly become niche? Hmm...

Niche is defined as a specialized market. Nothing more, nothing less. The confusion as to what constitutes niche will always be influx because of the word "specialized". With more and more houses being created, there's fewer and fewer niches. When designer houses release something on a sub-label at a higher price-point, they're simply trying to tap into a niche, that being those who like their name-saked products but are willing to pay more for (potentially) higher quality goods. It's also partly why you see price-points keep going up: they wouldn't if there wasn't a market.

I know people don't want to look at it in this regard, but your drugstore offerings are just as much a niche fragrance as are the things you can buy at Aedes or Luckyscent.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Double post.
    Last edited by The Bark; 31st October 2011 at 01:48 PM.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane77 View Post
    I agree that CNpH is a really nice scent, and I really enjoy wearing it, too. However, I don't quite follow the part about it being more "rounded" and less based on one particular note, because to me, CNpH is a total cinnamon bomb, and you gotta really like that one note to even consider wearing it. CNpH reminds me somewhat of Diptyque's Eau Lente, although EL's opononax explosion is replaced with cinnamon in CNpH, but they share that very comfortable warm and rich spiciness.
    To say that CN Homme is more 'rounded' is my perception of this fragrance based on my personal experience - It's just my own opinion.

For me, I don't get the Eau Lente connection at all. Eau Lente is definitely a cinnamon bomb which, while I enjoy it, doesn't seem to change much from application to dry down.

But once again, that's just my opinion!

I have a bottle of this and find so close to Ferragamo Homme that it is unoriginal coming from Costume National

Bump

I have just been testing this and on application I'm getting a sweet lemony citrus blast with wood and what smells like plum with cinnamon. At this stage it reminds me of Amouage Jubilation but not as refined.

As time moves forward the wood notes become stronger though surrounded in a haze of cinnamon and plum.

This fragrance is loud and brash and a bit in your face as if its screaming for your attention. It smells good though but not in a classy way, its as if they released it before it was given the finishing touches.

One of my all-time favourites, in my top 5 without a doubt.