Code of Conduct

Default Request for advice in choosing a fragrance for Rive Gauche lover

My mother-in-law is turning 75 soon, and we're putting together a gift basket for her. In her younger years she wore and adored YSL Rive Gauche, so we'll get her a bottle of that. We're also looking for another fragrance to introduce her to. The only other one I know she's worn is Penhaligon's LP No. 9, which we gave her several years ago and she said she enjoyed (though I don't know for sure). I also think she likes my sister-in-law's Victoria's Secret Moonlight Path (or Garden or something...don't know, I don't care for it myself). Any suggestions? My husband says he recalls big fragrances on her growing up, and magnolia or gardenia notes. She lives in South Carolina now, so humid land. Thank you so much, everyone!!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Request for advice in choosing a fragrance for Rive Gauche lover

Well, there is YSL Paris, for starters ...people also really like Estee Lauder Private Collection tuberose gardenia. Does she like Orientals?

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Hillaire

Calandre by Paco Rabanne
    Lancetti Via Condotti

+1 Calandre. It was the precursor, and competitor of, Rive Gauche. Other big roses of the period include the enormous Paris (as suggested), as well as Guerlain's Nahema (which is more like rose jam).

Alternatively, you could change flower and go for a big tropical tuberose, like Fracas.

cacio

Another vote for Paco Rabanne Calandre. It was the first thing that came to my mind.

And No. 5 Eau Première is one I recommend often. Aldehydic, soft, sheer, modern.

I vote for Calandre.

you got a cool mother-in-law kid

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone - you're a great help!!