Code of Conduct

Default comparing the cheap goodie musk scents to each other

I hope this thread hasn't been done to death before me.

There are a lot of well-regarded and inexpensive light/skin musk scents! I like Egyptian Goddess well enough, but I wish it were a little less flowery on the opening and a little stronger dry.

How do scents like Kareem Abdul, Cabot Musk, Bonne Bell Skin Musk and so on compare? Is there one that's a warmer, stronger, more straight-up musk version of EG?

I go past the drugstore in a few minutes and maybe I will stop in and see what Jovan Musk and Wild Musk are like.

Default Re: comparing the cheap goodie musk scents to each other

The only one I love and still use is Coty Wild Musk, but it has to be the oil not the spray. I first bought it when I was 12 years old!!!! Soft warm and a little sweet.
    DONNA

Coty and Jovan musk oils are still ok, but not what they were in the 70s. The cheapie I like best, although it isn't as cheap as the drugstore cheapies, is Kiehl's original musk in the oil form. I don't own any, but I need to!

Oh I will add Avon Soft Musk, it sometimes turns up again in the catalogue pretty cheap too.
    DONNA

How are Coty and Jovan different from each other? If you had to describe them as their own individual scents how would you do that?

Kiehls was very interesting because it was mainly a sweet baby powder scent to me, but there was a tiny, discreet, yet very distinct hint of crotch in there. I guess that's why some people categorize it as a "dirty" musk although baby powder reads as clean to me.

Hillaire

The best is Houbigant Musk Man. Now Dana offers it.

Quote Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
    How are Coty and Jovan different from each other? If you had to describe them as their own individual scents how would you do that?

Kiehls was very interesting because it was mainly a sweet baby powder scent to me, but there was a tiny, discreet, yet very distinct hint of crotch in there. I guess that's why some people categorize it as a "dirty" musk although baby powder reads as clean to me.

Coty is sweet and somewhat ambery, a tad chemical-smelling, and a bit like Coppertone suntan lotion (to my mind, not saying this is the consensus, it might just be my own personal associations from my past). Jovan is more floral, creamy, no discernible "skank" (nor is there in the Coty, to my nose). Not like there is in the Kiehl's, which is also floral and creamy but a bit dirty, too. I like that little bit of dirtiness in musk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    The best is Houbigant Musk Man. Now Dana offers it.
    I never tried that one. I'm going to keep an eye out for it. I like to sample musks.

If you can find Attar Bazaar or Kuumba Made in stores like WHole Foods and the like near you, check them out. Both have a variety of musk oils from floral to animalic, one might strike your fancy. My favorite is Kuumba Made Persian Garden, it's a very light floral musk, it's faint and dewy, but nice when you don't want to be very obvious with your scent, it's just one where you get faint whisps of scent every once in a while and wonder what smells so good.

I bought a roller ball of Kuumba Made Egyptian Musk at Whole Foods and I can't even smell it. :-/ Some people swear by it, but it's one I can't even detect.

I heard good things about Kuumba made. Not only some of the musks but the amber is supposed to be great.

Today I dropped by the drugstore and did a wrist to wrist comparison of Jovan For Women and Coty Wild Musk. Both were in the spray version.

To my nose Jovan For Women is a dead ringer for Kiehls except that there's more of the musk and less of the sweet powdery florals. Between the two I prefer the Jovan for that reason, although it's still more of a baby-powdery musk than I like. It fades pretty fast. Curious about how the Jovan oil will be different.

Wild Musk has a buttery sort of note that I don't care for. It smells almost like the fake pumpkin in Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab "Jack", which I also did not like. Almost like buttered popcorn? It's a shame because the drydown is close to the kind of warm, golden musk I like, but I can't un-smell that buttery thing.
    Last edited by kristinc; 4th November 2011 at 11:36 PM.

If you have a possibility to test this and if it was not discontinued, Extase Musk - manufactured by Muehlens, more commonly known for 4711 - might be a worthy further recommendation: though a cheapie in European stores, this smells expensive and adds to musk a stylishly old-school (yet not dated) chypre, as well as EDC note

Should the testing of this scent not work out, both the female and the male version (since they both have a versatile unisex vibe) of White musk by The Body Shop might be worth considering, solidly good value for money, vibrantly luminous light musk