Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 5, 2011 *** SPICY

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010, Oct. 2011
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    Last edited by Quarry; 31st October 2011 at 11:57 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 15, 2011 *** SPICY

Quarry Dear Heart- You are confusing me- you mean Saturday November 5, not Tuesday Nov 15- correct??
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 15, 2011 *** SPICY

Good lord, yes. Thanks, knit. So, how confident are you that there'll be anyone in NOLA on the 11th, given my date-posting skills?
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 5, 2011 *** SPICY

Ooh, I think a Spicy Speak will be so much fun!

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, November 5, 2011 *** SPICY

I have KL on my mind. I have a decant that a Basenoter sent me ages ago, and I think it is the pre-reformulated version. I owned a bottle in the 80s but gave it away because it wasn't for me then. Now, I really like it...and I wish I had kept some of those bottles I once gave away.

I was going to wear Poivre Samarcande, but darn! I forgot to bring my sample!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I was looking through my wardrobe and realized that I don't seem to have as many scents that fit the bill as I would have imagined. I need to research the scents that I think may fit the bill -- otherwise I will be in Cinnabar or L'Air du Desert Marocain for the SnS, and while I love both scents, I was hoping to wear something a little more off the beaten path.

Oh! Oh! Okay, after some searching I see I could also choose Fidji, or Barbara Bui, or Chanel Cuir de Russie, or Paloma Picasso, or Chinatown. Yay for more choices!
    Last edited by Leesee; 4th November 2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: more to ramble on about

Hi Quarry and all on this Spicey Bonfire Night (at least for us in the UK).

I'm looking forward to seeing the choices of other BNs as I didn't know really where to start. So I went to bed in AG Encens Flamboyant and will go through the day in BK Liaisons Dangereuses and wrap up the evening with 1000 Flowers Réglisse Noire, which I do love, but it would need frequent re-application during the day.
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

I am wearing "Noir Épices" about which my SO, who is not a big fragrance lover said: "Not bad. I think I even like it." I really like to too, it's spicy without being gourmand and it's not too sweet. It's very well done IMHO. I had shied away from it for the past months after my neighbours daughter yelled: "You stink!" when I was wearing it one day. While it's probably ridiculous to let a five year old kid mess with your fragrance choices, it did make me uneasy about wearing it for awhile...lol.

Oh, good grief. How do I always mess this up. Now I've gone and mucked up the whole thread
    Last edited by cello; 5th November 2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: who knows how I manage this

I actually got my spice kick yesterday with Fendi Theorema Esprit d'Ete and then Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale, both of which would be a better representation for today's theme. But, I'm going to play today anyway, even though I'm probably stretching the "rules" a little bit.

I have a confession........cello has never smelled Guerlain Mitsouko *drops head in shame* Today, I dip a timid toe (well, actually a forearm) into this classic

Top: bergamot, rose
    Mid: jasmine, SPICES, peach
    Base: oakmoss, woody notes (my test is of the current EDP, so probably not much oakmoss , and that may be the saving grace for me)

Wish me luck! 30 min. in so far and I've got the chypre opening, green and tart, with a little musty, powdery feel (but not too much! I'm calm...I'm handling it ) and now some fleurs. waiting for the peach and SPICES! I like!

EDIT: three hours in and I "think" I'm getting some dusty, dried peach smell with a small dusting of cinnamon. Still a little musty smelling - but Mrs. Q, I haven't fallen out of the saddle yet I think I'm going to make it through today, with a bonus of not even any negative feelings about this one. Still a like OK, but not love
    Last edited by cello; 5th November 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Joining in Spicy SnS with Comme des Garcons Original Eau de Parfum. Starts off intensely, almost harshly spicy (I'd say black pepper and clove most prominent), softens down to soft, honeyed resins. A pomander, but think avant-garde, not Victorian.

Notes include labdanum, cedar, clove, cinnamon, cardamom, cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg, honey, rose, sandalwood
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Wearing Witness by Bogart today:

Top Notes
    Artemisia, Orange, Lemon, Bergamot

Middle Notes
    Fir, Rose, Cinnamon, Geranium

Base Notes
    Styrax, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Benzoin

Blind bought this one back at the beginning of the year looking for an orange and cinnamon scent. It didn't quite fit the bill and on my first wearing I thought it went straight to what I'd call a "generic masculine" smell on me, so I haven't worn it since. I had trouble figuring out what to wear that was spicy, but not totally oriental, so decided to give it another shot. The reviews call it a cinnamon bomb and I'm getting much more cinnamon and spices today. I am actually quite enjoying it and will have to wear it more often!

this afternoon after a house cleaning round, I showered and changed clothes and scent :
    Five o'clock au gingembre whoot !
    I did not remember the incense with the warm lovely spices. Yeap the tea is more an incense this time
    I like this sooo much (still some left in sample ..but not much)
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

I had planned to wear KL, but I always change my mind. Today I'm wearing Jo Malone's Vanilla & Anise for Sniff 'n Speak.

It isn't extremely spicy or vanillic, just rather soft and cozy. I'm still hankering for that KL, but later this evening perhaps. My tolerance for anything BIG is pretty low lately.

Blog Entries

Oops, l totally forgot what day it was when getting ready for my early shift this morning, & sprayed on Flower Market by mistake.
    l'm off out with the bf this evening, & he doesn't tolerate the spicy stuff well, (except in food; we're going for a curry! ) so l'll try to remember tomorrow, sorry people!

Planning to wear the discontinued Sheer Obsession; IMO a very worthy flanker to the original. lt smells exactly the same, but done with a lighter hand & therefore more acceptable for work, etc. l got my bottle off ebay a year ago & wore it a lot in the colder months; very warming & cosy.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Oldfashioned Tabu for me today. I don't have the ''old lady'' associations as it never entered my world. It does however give me a seventies hippie vibe. I think it's warm and comfortable and spicey.
    And sexy.
    And oh miracle: the husband likes it!!!!!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

I chose Sous le Vent and am glad I did so. It has the driest, smoothest, spiciest, yet softest vibe. It is a little bit masculine, as things go, but in that comforting way, like the scent of my dad's freshly shaved face when I was a little girl.

Blog Entries

As promised earlier, today l am wearing Calvin Klein's Sheer Obsession; the only fragrance in my wardrobe that l consider really spicy.

The notes are (according to Fragrantica) coriander, amber, mandarin, musk, tagettes, vanilla, incense & bergamot.

On my skin the first phase is dominated by bergamot & spices, before it dries down to a lightly spiced incense & vanillic amber. Sillage & longevity are very good for something marked "sheer".

l find the original Obsession far too "hot-spicy" for my nose, whereas this one is much more wearable & suitable for everyday, & still very warming & comforting. Rather like a tikka massala instead of a vindaloo! (Speaking of which, l'm glad l didn't wear this to the curry house last night; it would have clashed with the foody smells too much. lnstead l wore Allure, & found that it worked really well with those jasmine-scented hot flannels they give you to clean your hands after the meal! )

lt's becoming increasingly rare it seems; it's going for crazy prices now on ebay, but l highly recommend this fragrance to lovers of Obsession who would like a more versatile version of it. Snap it up while you still can!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

summer means fireflys

I wore Cinnabar last evening so that I could join in on Spicy SnS day! I used to wear Cinnabar pretty much exclusively when my boys were little. But it dropped out of favor after a bout of pneumonia, I had breathing problems for a long time afterwards and the Cinnabar was difficult to wear. I also found Angel in 1993 or 94 and I let Cinnabar slip away from me ...

Wearing Cinnabar as a signature scent, I received many compliments over the years. I remember one certain compliment very vividly, even all these years ago: I was at work and a new resident was there for his first day on his cardiac rotation. He kept standing close to me and finally he said "You know, it should be illegal to wear Cinnabar in the cath lab." He had a big smile on his face, so I could tell he was teasing with me. I asked him if it was too strong, did it bother him? "No, not too strong, but, yes, it bothers me very much. Actually, it drives me crazy, you smell that good!" Well, I'm married and he was engaged and it wasn't really a flirty sort of comment ... turns out that his fiance wore Cinnabar too (that's why he recognized it!)

A few years ago, I was homesick for Cinnabar and added it to my Christmas list. My boys, now grown, gave me a bottle that year. One sniff and they remembered it very well. I'm glad she is back in my collection now ... and that she no longer causes breathing problems!

Cinnabar is a lovely scent, shades. (I used to get compliments on it over the years, too.) I am glad you are able to wear it happily again!

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I wore Cinnabar last evening so that I could join in on Spicy SnS day! I used to wear Cinnabar pretty much exclusively when my boys were little. But it dropped out of favor after a bout of pneumonia, I had breathing problems for a long time afterwards and the Cinnabar was difficult to wear. I also found Angel in 1993 or 94 and I let Cinnabar slip away from me ...

Wearing Cinnabar as a signature scent, I received many compliments over the years. I remember one certain compliment very vividly, even all these years ago: I was at work and a new resident was there for his first day on his cardiac rotation. He kept standing close to me and finally he said "You know, it should be illegal to wear Cinnabar in the cath lab." He had a big smile on his face, so I could tell he was teasing with me. I asked him if it was too strong, did it bother him? "No, not too strong, but, yes, it bothers me very much. Actually, it drives me crazy, you smell that good!" Well, I'm married and he was engaged and it wasn't really a flirty sort of comment ... turns out that his fiance wore Cinnabar too (that's why he recognized it!)

A few years ago, I was homesick for Cinnabar and added it to my Christmas list. My boys, now grown, gave me a bottle that year. One sniff and they remembered it very well. I'm glad she is back in my collection now ... and that she no longer causes breathing problems!
    shadesofbleu, how nice that your boys associate your Cinnabar! The smell of Chanel No. 5 will always remind me of my mother. Precious memories, indeed.

Funny anecdote on your Cinnabar!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

Well, I'm declaring "Spicy Sunday" for myself because I was pre-occupied yesterday. LOVE these stories y'all are sharing!!!

My choice is Eau de Lalique, which got to my wardbrobe via cello's postings about it. I just love it and it suits every occassion.

Published Notes: mandarin orange, pimento, bergamot, garden dill, cardamom and lemon; middle notes are cinnamon, hibiscus and freesia; base notes are sandalwood, musk, benzoin and guaiac wood.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home