Code of Conduct

Angry A*MEN Pure Havane Bad Experience

I'm going to start out by saying that I made the mistake of blind buying this fragrance. It was shipped to me about a week ago and I wore it for the first time last night. Upon spraying it, I noticed that the top notes smelled strangely reminiscent of "Carmex" lip balm. This is the best way that I can describe the smell. I decided that it was probably my imagination and went to work like this anyway. Right away, a few of my coworkers asked me if I was wearing Carmex . Take note that this was the only scent I was wearing.

The longevity was good, however, and I managed to smell like Carmex the whole night...

Anyways, I'm thinking that either Pure Havane plays very poorly with my body chemistry, or I got a bad batch. Have any of you heard of something like this happening before? I read the return policy on Mugler Store's website and it says:

"We cannot accept items that have been opened unless the product is damaged or defective. In case of damaged, defective, or incorrect item, please contact us immediately for assistance at 877-843-7968."

Do you think I could claim that this particular bottle is defective? I really don't know where to go from here, it doesn't smell at all like tobacco or vanilla and I'd hate to have wasted $80 on what was talked up to be an amazing product. Thanks for your time and suggestions everyone.

Default Re: A*MEN Pure Havane Bad Experience

Sorry you had a bad experience. Try explaining what happened to a customer service rep and see what happens. Nothing to lose by trying.

swap / sell it

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

it's not a bad bottle, it's a bad release.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry you had a bad experience. Try explaining what happened to a customer service rep and see what happens. Nothing to lose by trying.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xqizit View Post
    swap / sell it
    I don't want someone else to have to smell like Carmex.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    it's not a bad bottle, it's a bad release.
    Do you just mean it's a bad product overall?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyCH View Post
    Do you just mean it's a bad product overall?
    yeah, you're not the first to report it reeks of carmex. it's not your particular bottle/batch.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

yeah, you're not the first to report it reeks of carmex. it's not your particular bottle/batch.
    Well in that case I wouldn't feel guilty about trading it, I suppose. Thank you for the clarification. I don't know why anyone would want to smell like that.

A*Men was cool in it's day, Pure Malt was great, Pure Coffee was good, but Pure Havane is just bad blah bad.

The best solution is to contact their customer service, they should not get away with that

I have never heard of batch problems with Muglers, but I suppose it's possible. It's no secret Muglers aren't made for everyone, and do have weird notes, so it could be that this one didn't mix right with you. I've never smelled Carmex so I can't comment on that, but you can try customer service, otherwise you shouldn't have a problem swapping or selling your bottle at the price you paid. In fact, someone on the frags wanted board is currently looking for this one.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Just return, sell or swap it if you don't like it. That's what I would do.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I'm going to start out by saying that I made the mistake of blind buying this fragrance...
    Should be a learning experience for you and others, who plan on blind buying fragrances based on positive reviews.

I had the same reaction from Pure Malt!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/260...ngel-Pure-Malt!

I just blind bought PH (havn't recieved it yet, but I have tried it once or twice in the past), but can see what your talking about. I doubt there is anything wrong with your bottle, its probably moreso your reaction to the fragrance.

If you don't like Pure Havane, its a pretty low risk blind buy, just sell it on E-bay and get your money (or more!) back.
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 31st October 2011 at 12:33 AM.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Yeah, I'll never understand why someone in the USA would blind buy if there's no return policy when for $5.99 at The Perfumed Court you could get the sample and save yourself from being out $100 or whatever. But being a new member here maybe he not aware of that website/outlet.

If you MUST blind buy a designer fragrance try and do it from a place that accepts open fragrance returns, like Sephora, or Nordstrom. Pure Havane was at most Nordstrom's last time I looked, but perhaps not lately.

My wife and I love this one! To each his own.

I would hang on to it if I were you. Revisit it in six months, these fragrances are known for their 180's, especially the original A*Men. You might just start loving it. Plus, the longer you hold on to it, the more it will be worth. Havane is still readily available, but wait a while. Once that sucker is scarce, you can make a buck on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    I would hang on to it if I were you. Revisit it in six months, these fragrances are known for their 180's, especially the original A*Men. You might just start loving it. Plus, the longer you hold on to it, the more it will be worth. Havane is still readily available, but wait a while. Once that sucker is scarce, you can make a buck on it.
    +1
    I agree with trying it again later down the road. I didn't like the original A*Men at first, but after a few trys, it grew on me. Plus PH will be worth some money in a year or 2.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Yeah, I'll never understand why someone in the USA would blind buy if there's no return policy when for $5.99 at The Perfumed Court you could get the sample and save yourself from being out $100 or whatever. But being a new member here maybe he not aware of that website/outlet.

If you MUST blind buy a designer fragrance try and do it from a place that accepts open fragrance returns, like Sephora, or Nordstrom. Pure Havane was at most Nordstrom's last time I looked, but perhaps not lately.
    Disagree on this one. TPC's prices are ridiculous, $6 for 1 ml before shipping is totally outrageous and you'd have to be a complete idiot to spend that much on 1 ml of juice. If you can't tell, I am not a fan of TPC in the least as I find them to be a complete ripoff and will not buy a single thing from them unless they rework their pricing. Additionally, the Mugler Pure line is one of the safest blind buys there is as you're almost 100% guaranteed to be able to find someone who'll buy your 99.9% full bottle on here for what you paid or more.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Although I agree TPC is pricey, you have to take into account that they aren't benefiting from selling full bottles. So handing out samples/decants at or near cost is not going to be beneficial to them. Not to mention someone's got to fill those tiny vials, print labels, package to ship, etc.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Although I agree TPC is pricey, you have to take into account that they aren't benefiting from selling full bottles. So handing out samples/decants at or near cost is not going to be beneficial to them. Not to mention someone's got to fill those tiny vials, print labels, package to ship, etc.
    Yep...it's labor intensive. And nowhere else (that I know of) can offer such a wide variety of samples of current and vintage stuff.

On topic...there just isn't a lot of room to complain when you buy blind. I've been lucky for the most part, but have received some bad ones. I just recoup what I can from them, and move on to the next one.

Well in that case I wouldn't feel guilty about trading it, I suppose. Thank you for the clarification. I don't know why anyone would want to smell like that.
    I think the point is that there is nothing wrong with the batch and that many people love it just the way it is. You get Carmex. The Mugler fanboys get all manner of exotic and sensual smells out of that same bottle you're trying to distance yourself from.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I think the point is that there is nothing wrong with the batch and that many people love it just the way it is. You get Carmex. The Mugler fanboys get all manner of exotic and sensual smells out of that same bottle you're trying to distance yourself from.
    +1 ...

+2

I use Carmex often, and, I haven't detected the slightest similarity between the two. I have had a similar experience with a fragrance of high esteem, though. Musc Ravageur smelled like Carmex in a bottle to me, yet, to so many it is so much more. So the answer to the question you didn't ask (does PH smell like Carmex?) is "yes and no". Yes, you interpret it as Carmex but not everyone does, so, no as well. That should clear things up, haha. Sorry you cant get the same enjoyment out of PH as others do, such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    +1 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    +2

I use Carmex often, and, I haven't detected the slightest similarity between the two. I have had a similar experience with a fragrance of high esteem, though. Musc Ravageur smelled like Carmex in a bottle to me, yet, to so many it is so much more. So the answer to the question you didn't ask (does PH smell like Carmex?) is "yes and no". Yes, you interpret it as Carmex but not everyone does, so, no as well. That should clear things up, haha. Sorry you cant get the same enjoyment out of PH as others do, such as myself.
    While I agree with all of you that fragrances smell somewhat different to everyone and affect each person differently, you seem to be forgetting that at least two people at my job, with absolutely no provocation, asked me if I was wearing Carmex. If that's not a blind study, I don't know what is. Anyways, I respect all of your tastes and opinions, and to each his own.

In any case, I decided to hold onto it for a while to test it again in a few months. If I don't like it then, I'll swap or sell it. At least I learned something from this whole ordeal. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

While I agree with all of you that fragrances smell somewhat different to everyone and affect each person differently, you seem to be forgetting that at least two people at my job, with absolutely no provocation, asked me if I was wearing Carmex. If that's not a blind study, I don't know what is. Anyways, I respect all of your tastes and opinions, and to each his own.

In any case, I decided to hold onto it for a while to test it again in a few months. If I don't like it then, I'll swap or sell it. At least I learned something from this whole ordeal. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.
    Good choice. Also, by then, PH likely will have been off the market for a while and you'll have no problem at all getting back the $80 price tag on it.
    Splits!

The more you use it the more you will start to like it!

carmex smells great