Code of Conduct

Thread: starting out

Default starting out

I am interested in making my own perfumes. I have no idea where to start, where can I get the basic materials? and are there any sites with step by step instructions or good books on the subject?

I would appreciate any advice from people here

Does anyone make and sell their own perfumes?

Default Re: starting out

Try Perfumers Apprentice. It's an online store with lots of product and info.

thanks. great store

Perfumer's Apprentice is a wonderful resource for information and a great source for aroma-chemicals. I don't think I'd recommend buying most natural materials from them though as thats a competitive market and there are better sources.

When you are ready for more technical information The Good Scents Company is also a mine of useful information, but you're best of starting with PA first I think.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

thanks chris

I am also starting and waiting for my perfumers things to come, but I am worried now they are not right if you say Chris that this company Perfumes Apprentice arent good for natural materials. I may cancel my order. Who are better to get from?

To clarify - I've no reason to believe that the natural materials from PA have anything wrong with them - I've not bought any but I would expect them to be perfectly good quality judging from the things I have bought from them.

However there is a very competitive market in natural materials - mainly for the aromatherapy trade - so you can buy much more cheaply. Just put something like essential oil suppliers into google or have a look at the DIY Supplies thread here and you'll soon see what I mean.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.