Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has Marc Jacobs Bang been discontinued /recalled

I went to the Galleria , and in all the Sephoras, Dillards , Macys, NM, the sales people said they sent it back(BANG). I went online on these websites and you cannot find Bang on any of them ! Does anyone know what the real scoop is ??

Default Re: Has Marc Jacobs Bang been discontinued /recalled

A lot of it still available on Ebay.

I know that but why would all the main retail stores ship it back for no reason?? Is it being reformulated? Is it discontinued?

Perhaps "liquidated"? Sent to the discount stores. It's already appeared in TJMaxx and such and Bang Bang is supposed to be out here soon. Keep in mind this came out last fall so it's had its time in the spotlight. With more and more new releases each year, expect shorter major retailer shelf space for some of these.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Basenotes Plus

I've seen it recently at TJ Maxx & Marshalls.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

I thought BANG BANG was coming out soon. Marc Jacobs doesn't usually get a ton of shelf space - they may be trying to get a big return on the newer frag.

Perhaps this is a case of a solidly made fragrance ruined by a miss-judged name, packaging and promotion. Bang Bang will probably only fare worse.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th August 2011 at 02:40 AM.

It makes no sense , all the stores abruptly sent it back. It was doing pretty well sales wise too. Very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    Perhaps this is a case of a solidly made fragrance ruined by miss-judged name, packaging and promotion. Bang Bang will only fare worse.
    I'd have to agree with you on this one. I hate the name and bottle, but I wear the hell out of it.

Blog Entries

Perhaps this is a case of a solidly made fragrance ruined by miss-judged name, packaging and promotion. Bang Bang will only fare worse.
    I think you may be right about this one, Kevin. I remember you asked if anybody has smelled this on anybody else. I've only encountered one person other than myself wearing it (I thought it was great taste, too - a good style choice for the guy).

I thought the packaging was very interesting, but in retrospect, you were right about it being a dud. Perhaps a solid, cylindrical, heavy bottle with a hefty, dark wooden top - or something a bit more classical - might have been more enduring.

Of all the bad luck - first Bang, now Bang Bang in a similar day-glo blue (gasp) bottle, and then Justin Bieber ripping off Lola's labial/floral cap design, but virginizing it with a heart (oy vey!). Marc Jacobs is having a rough year.

I spoke to a rep online he said this :
    Samuel Todd: Thank you for holding.
    Samuel Todd: This particular item has been discontinued due to depletion of stock.
    Samuel Todd: This product proved to be more popular than we anticipated and we were unable to obtain more merchandise.
    Samuel Todd: We do apologize for any disappointment this may have caused.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Samuel Todd: This particular item has been discontinued due to depletion of stock.
    Samuel Todd: This product proved to be more popular than we anticipated and we were unable to obtain more merchandise.
    Interesting..... Thanks for the report.

Discontinued due to depletion of stock? Not sure I get that. Does that mean it's more popular than they expected? They didn't make enough units? I have to admit that the flanker is coming pretty early. Usually that's a good sign. Hmmmmm......

One of my SAs said it was doing well, but that was very early in the release. She said it was doing OK later.

Maybe focus groups showed that Bang Bang is going to be much more popular. That would be my only guess at this moment.

with a name like bang bang lol I am sorry . I was pondering to get the gift set on the website it comes with a free T shirt but unfortunately it does not have Megan fox , rather MJ nude looking like he just jerked off, I will pass. My grandma opens my packages so lol , I just hope retail stores carry it soon again.

Well, my theory on this one is that the average dude that saw the "uncensored" ad campaign for Bang was like "Nope" and then went off and bought Le Male....

Hmmm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calero View Post
    Well, my theory on this one is that the average dude that saw the "uncensored" ad campaign for this ad was like "Nope" and then went off and bought Le Male....

Hmmm.
    LOL

Hate to say it, but I think maybe you're right. Mainstream Street just wasn't ready to accidentally walk into the gay bar.

Perhaps it's not too late to bring in Megan Fox - wearing two bottles of Bang and one bottle of Bang Bang! I'd buy the back-up and the flanker.....

Exactly. They thought they would catch "the Gay" from Marc Jacobs' ad, so they played it "safe" and doused themselves in Miyake before going out to Buffalo Wild Wings.

It would be hilarious if Marc Jacobs did a pisstake on the original Bang ad and put Megan Fox or some other Maximesque female in it and just go over-the-top.

Wanna Bang?

Blog Entries

It would be hilarious if Marc Jacobs did a pisstake on the original Bang ad and put Megan Fox or some other Maximesque female in it and just go over-the-top.

Wanna Bang?
    LOL

OMG - reformulation with no cooties! Better stock up on the original!

If anyone else who works at these stores ( Macys, NM , Sephora, Nordstrom) , knows what the real scoop is , please do inform . I think its very strange for something which was selling "very well " based on what the NM sales person said and suddenly all these retails stores abruptly discontinued it at the same time. Makes no sense , because , the other MJ men's fragrance is still available and that smells like shit IMO

Sur la Plage

Exactly. They thought they would catch "the Gay" from Marc Jacobs' ad, so they played it "safe" and doused themselves in Miyake before going out to Buffalo Wild Wings.
    Unfortunately, I am sure this is quite true.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It makes no sense , all the stores abruptly sent it back. It was doing pretty well sales wise too. Very strange
    What about completing revenues objectives and forcing customers buying new offerings, in this case Bang Bang? BTW, the gay demographic might not be of the liking of the average Joe, but in marketing terms, it sure is profitable: men earn more than women, on average. So you have a double income no kids (yes, adoption is a possibility, but not that common and / or something relatively new) segment, this meaning, more disposable income. Add to this the positive attitudes and usages towards personal care, grooming and clothing... Marc Jacobs in a provocative attitude in the ads? I am sure it was Bang's target market.

Saw a ton of it at Marshalls yesterday.

Basenotes Institution

I am pretty sure that this is a 'discontinued' fragrance that we will be able to buy for many, many years to come. As has already been mentioned, there's a ton of this stuff out there in the discount stores and online retailers / Ebay.

I love the scent and I hope to have it in my wardrobe always.

I had an email from cheapsmells yesterday, which said, "introducing Bang from Marc Jacobs. New for 2011."

If it's been discontinued, that's really a shame. A very nice fragrance. I even like the bottle (the name and marketing I'm kind of neutral about). To me, Bang is like something Comme des Garšons would have released-- maybe a cross between the Incense Series and Red Series, as I've said before. What happens to Bang when it integrates with the wearer's skin is a subtle miracle.

Still, I suppose the one thing about the bottle that I dislike is how easily it falls over.

I could never figure out why Ralph Lauren's black pepper bomb Extreme Polo Sport was such a flop either. That one is one of my all time compliment getters. I guess the mainstream is wary of over-the-top pepper scents. Too bad.

The only reason companies do flankers is to cash in on a popular name. If Bang was being discontinued, MJ would release his new fragrance with a different title and packaging. The existence of Bang Bang is pretty clear evidence that Bang isn't going anywhere anytime soon. IMHO, it's also the best designer release of last year.

It's usually under orders of the distributor that the item is being discontinued

Just stupid

Blog Entries

I'm definitely starting to think this is a strategic department store cutback to put the focus on Bang Bang.

As others have said, Bang is a great fragrance, and it certainly doesn't seem to have been a bomb. Which actually gives me some hope for Bang Bang. Yes, the notes don't sound impressive - but I really think that a frag like Bang has more chance of being followed up by something similarly novel than by something totally lame.

+1 on the bottle falling over. Can't count the number of times I've barely caught the damn thing falling off my vanity, into the sink or onto the floor. Thank goodness for the armor plating.

Great scent! My wife and I love it, and the bottle is great as well IMHO! No problems here.

Ok, wait a minute... time out.

This isn't aimed at you vinramini09, I'm just pointing out some irony here, lol.

I don't know how many times I've read here that SA's don't even know what they're talking about, aren't knowledgeable, etc. So why would anybody take a customer service representative on a chat? Was the CSR working for a particular department store or the actual distributor?

The way this reads, it sounds like a response from a department store not being able to obtain anymore because the demand is higher than the supply which means they're no longer carrying it (which could be THEY'VE discontinued carrying it because there's no supply for them any longer... not that the product itself has been discontinued).

If anything, the discussion with the rep, or at least without some context of who they're representing, raises more questions than it provides answers.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I saw it at Sephora yesterday. But, they didn't have a tester out anymore. If you are really hunting a bottle though, as others have noted; I see tons of it in every Marshalls/TJ Maxx I go in.

I liked it fairly well when I tested it a few months ago, but it's not something I'm willing to pay retail for. It's still about $40 at the discounters now. When Marshalls/TJ start to drop it into the $20-30 range, I'll grab a bottle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Perhaps "liquidated"? Sent to the discount stores. It's already appeared in TJMaxx and such and Bang Bang is supposed to be out here soon. Keep in mind this came out last fall so it's had its time in the spotlight. With more and more new releases each year, expect shorter major retailer shelf space for some of these.
    I think this is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Ok, wait a minute... time out.

This isn't aimed at you vinramini09, I'm just pointing out some irony here, lol.

I don't know how many times I've read here that SA's don't even know what they're talking about, aren't knowledgeable, etc. So why would anybody take a customer service representative on a chat? Was the CSR working for a particular department store or the actual distributor?

The way this reads, it sounds like a response from a department store not being able to obtain anymore because the demand is higher than the supply which means they're no longer carrying it (which could be THEY'VE discontinued carrying it because there's no supply for them any longer... not that the product itself has been discontinued).

If anything, the discussion with the rep, or at least without some context of who they're representing, raises more questions than it provides answers.
    It was not a sales rep but it was NM rep , yeah it confused me more lol. Its counter intuitive to think something wont be restocked because the demand is too great . LOL

Perhaps this is a case of a solidly made fragrance ruined by a miss-judged name, packaging and promotion. Bang Bang will probably only fare worse.
    I think you're exactly right. Marc Jacobs should take the same green angelica/spice/wood accord, and gourmand/cinnamon/ginger it up, something like Creed's Royal Oud, and relaunch it with an ad, name, and bottle that are universally understated and quietly masculine, and he'll reap huge rewards. I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I think sometimes some in the LGTB community forget that even though the majority of western society is cool with them now, the stereotypical loud flamboyance and overt innuendo is still going to continue to be distasteful.

Shame as this was a really interesting juice.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I think sometimes some in the LGTB community forget that even though the majority of western society is cool with them now, the stereotypical loud flamboyance and overt innuendo is still going to continue to be distasteful.
    I don't see the ad as being "stereotypical loud flamboyance" and what you sometimes think about some in the LGTB community smacks of bigotry to me. You can't just say "I don't mean to offend anyone here" to make your clearly offensive remarks acceptable , it just shows you know what you're saying is wrong.

I don't think your ideas are any good either. If you turn that fragrance into a gourmand, it's a completely different fragrance. It's like saying "I know how you could make Bang better! Make a new fragrance, give it a different name, and advertise it differently"

I dont really care if Bang gets discontinued because it doesn't work on me. I have no real problem with the marketing, though I do find it weird that its Marc Jacobs himself in the print ad - seems kind of vain. I wouldn't have known it was him unless someone told me though.

Discontinued because the tester bottles kept falling off the shelves...

The Bang AD is, without a question, GAY! It isn't subtle or particularly intelligent, and it certainly lacks the wit and subversiveness that were employed by Jean-Paul Gaultier for the brilliant Le Male campaign.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th August 2011 at 11:07 PM.

First of all, Bang has been a strong seller and would not have been an RTV (return to vendor) due to lack of sales. Typically fragrance distributors do not even offer RTVs at all. If recalled, my guess would be a defective component e.g. a production run with bad sprayers.
    As to the gay issue, it's almost irrelevant. Straight guys are the last group designer/niche labels are trying to reach for mens fragrances. That's because about 50% of mens fragrance is purchased by women, and and estimated 25% is purchased by gay men. Present company excluded, it remains fairly unusual for straight guys to buy their own fragrance or even to be exposed to fragrance adverts.

/\ I knew there was something special about me - a straight guy who likes perfume. I'm sure it's true, I can't start a fragrance conversation with anyone without people looking for the exit sign.

Bang isn't bad, just very synthetic IMHO. This one must have topped the Iso E Super scale.
    Last edited by adonis; 7th August 2011 at 03:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blondex199667 View Post
    First of all, Bang has been a strong seller and would not have been an RTV (return to vendor) due to lack of sales. Typically fragrance distributors do not even offer RTVs at all. If recalled, my guess would be a defective component e.g. a production run with bad sprayers.
    As to the gay issue, it's almost irrelevant. Straight guys are the last group designer/niche labels are trying to reach for mens fragrances. That's because about 50% of mens fragrance is purchased by women, and and estimated 25% is purchased by gay men. Present company excluded, it remains fairly unusual for straight guys to buy their own fragrance or even to be exposed to fragrance adverts.
    That's it! An honest-to-G_d recall!

Between the sharp corners of the bottle and the tendency to tip over, plus the heavy weight of the full 3.4 oz bottle, it's a toe-chopper! Even a hit on a corner would leave a clinic-grade gash. OMG. Expect rounded corners and plastic in Bang Bang, followed by a Bang reissue in plastic as well.

Time to buy those collector's back-ups.....

Bang wasn't/isn't bad. but for me, it is highly inferior to Poivre Samarcande by Hermes.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    That's it! An honest-to-G_d recall! Between the sharp corners of the bottle and the tendency to tip over, plus the heavy weight of the full 3.4 oz bottle, it's a toe-chopper! Even a hit on a corner would leave a clinic-grade gash. OMG. Expect rounded corners and plastic in Bang Bang, followed by a Bang reissue in plastic as well.
    Done in by inferior materials. This reminds me of the exotic bottle design for Donna Karan's signature fragrance. It is certainly striking, but the actual bottle, which is made out of flimsy plastic and a piece of rubber, which fell apart with each use. Sort of like an American made car from the 70s.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2011 at 06:04 AM.

Surely the "loud flamboyance" and "innuendo" isn't any less tasteful if it is a woman spread-eagled on a poster? I frankly get tired of the constant flaunting of both male and female sexuality in all manners of advertisement, and I'm in no way a prude. I'm not saying that is what people are saying, but if it is...Hoo boy. Ahem. Anyway...

That Donna Karen bottle is a neat contraption; it's a shame it's shoddily put together. I was going to go root around Marshall's tomorrow in hopes of finding some Bang, but from the others around here, should I wait for a plastic bottle? Or pick one up now and pray I don't amputate any toes?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orobas View Post
    I was going to go root around Marshall's tomorrow in hopes of finding some Bang, but from the others around here, should I wait for a plastic bottle? Or pick one up now and pray I don't amputate any toes?
    LOL

I think it depends on your situation. If you live in a house with Japanese shoe rules, then don't buy the current bottle without investing in some seriously robust house slippers. The bottle might actually bounce off Crocs, but I refuse to go there....

Alas, we do have a "no shoes inside" rule. I may have to risk my toes for peppery deliciousness, because Crocs? Hell naw!

Done in by inferior materials. This reminds me of the exotic bottle design for Donna Karan's signature fragrance. It is certainly striking, but the actual bottle, which is made out of flimsy plastic and a piece of rubber, which fell apart with each use. Sort of like an American made car from the 70s.
    I have this bottle had it for years, still intact with me. Hate the damn thing though, nightmare to use(its not called the Klingon Phaser for nothing. You are lucky to hit anything when you spray).

Bang still widely available and on the shelves in the UK. Stand in House of Fraser full of bottles and also Debenhams.
    DONNA

I'd suggest you try Comme des Garcons man 2, 8888, etc.. Bang seems like a cheap knock-off of this great line to my nose.

Somehow I was not too impressed with the dry down of this Bang fragrance.

I agree with Adonis on all points ( ....except when he implies that he is special )
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    I have this bottle had it for years, still intact with me. Hate the damn thing though, nightmare to use(its not called the Klingon Phaser for nothing. You are lucky to hit anything when you spray).
    Hey Donna, I refer to it as the Black Swan. I'm glad your bottle has held up better than mine. My "swan's" beak cracked off and the gold paint is chipping away. That rubber patch covering the spray mechanism is not fully resolved - it reminds me a bit of a trap door trick from a fun-house.
    Glad to hear that Bang is still on the shelves in London. Perhaps it's one of those, overly sensitive US liability issues that's causing the recall here - that is, if there actually is a recall going on.
    Love this story, can't wait to see how it develops.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 7th August 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Somehow I was not too impressed with the dry down of this Bang fragrance.

I agree with Adonis on all points ( ....except when he implies that he is special )

How dare you!?

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH
    the stereotypical loud flamboyance and overt innuendo is still going to continue to be distasteful
    Quote Originally Posted by pawful View Post
    I don't see the ad as being "stereotypical loud flamboyance"

- The name BANG is overt innuendo, entirely. Nothing else to it. It rings zero other bells.
    - The bottle design is a loud, obvious play on the corny title. It's shiny & tacky, and something that many men would feel ridiculous having on their armoire.
    - The ad is blatantly, and LOUDLY sexual, in a way that is noticably less comfortable to the consumer than almost any other cologne ad since YSL's M7, which is another extremely interesting scent which was a mainstream flop.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. And BTW, I wasn't talking about the community as a whole, just the portion of it who kind of stays isolated from anything outside their own circle, which is where Marc Jacobs seems to reside. that's all. Not dissing, just saying that a little more perspective could have made this a much more successful launch for him, because the scent is quite interesting.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Marc Jacob's 'little circle' needs to buy more of this stuff. Wait - they probably did! So this might not even be a recall or discontinuation after all!

THE MJ rep emailed me , he said its NOT being discontinued , he did not address why the major retail stores were not carrying it, but he said it was available online with the free homoerotic tshirt of MJ online.

Its alive and well on the shelves @ Sephora here in Vancouver, Canada

Basenotes Institution

THE MJ rep emailed me , he said its NOT being discontinued , he did not address why the major retail stores were not carrying it, but he said it was available online with the free homoerotic tshirt of MJ online.
    This made me giggle. LOL

I hope so.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Discontinued!Not sure if anyone cares anymore but this is discontinued! It was sent back to the distributor at Macy's.

Apparently its not been discontinued , but there were issues with the bottles from what I was told , all of the bottles were recalled. Bang Bang is coming out and Bang will be released in smaller quantities in a bottle which is better made.

Dependent

The fields of Iso E Super flowers all died in the alien invasion. That, and black pepper has also been discontinued.

I still think it was discontinued, I haven't seen it at Macy's or Macy's.com in several months.