Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Fragrances from our youth: An discussion of fragrances for the young versus those for the old

There are a lot of posts these days about young versus old person scents, and they often imply that old person scents are somehow horrible and are to be avoided unless one is indeed an old person.

I believe that a lot of the "old person" association may come from people that were older than us wearing these types of fragrances when we were young. Habit Rouge is a great example. My grandfather wore this in the late 60s and early 70s when I was a young boy. My dad always wore Guerlain's vetiver and Pino Silvestre. Now, when I smell these fragrances, I can't help but associate them with men that are older than me - and I'm 48, the exact same age as my father was back in the day. The same is true with Chanel 5 and Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps. When I was young, my grandmother wore these scents, so now I always associate these two fragrances with matronly women.

Are they "old people" fragrances? Of course not. Does my mind associate them with old people? Yes, it does, and it is a very strong historical association. That being said, I was wearing Habit Rouge yesterday, and received a naughty complement from an attractive young woman in hear early 20s. Go figure.

I'd love to read your impressions of fragrances that people dear to you wore when you were young, and what are your impressions of these fragrances today.

Ben

Default Re: Fragrances from our youth: An discussion of fragrances for the young versus those for the old

I never cared much about the young/old-divide

When I was young, during the mid to late 90s, it was the heyday of Le Male, ADG, Hugo and L'Eau d'Issey, but even then, from
    the first encounters with fragrance ever, I wore scents which would easily be qualified for "old men"

Just as now, as I grew significantly older, I remained quite constant in my love for conservative scents, but paradoxically,
    newer shy away to put on something "younger" whenever I feel like it

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Fragrances from our youth: An discussion of fragrances for the young versus those for the old

I'm in my mid 20's and I really don't put much credence in old/young frags.

Well, the only scent my Dad wore when I was kid was Old Spice. Funny, there is a resurgence of that fragrance now, perhaps due to advertising or maybe because it is a good scent that is both nice, accessible and cheap to boot. Sometimes good is good enough for most people. So this one is an old scent and younger people around here don't seem to mind that Old Spice has been around forever. It may not be sold to fragheads that inhabit this board but it is being sold and used by a lot of younger people. When I smell it I think of Dad...which is why I don't wear it. Not because it is old but because Dad was not very nice to me when I was growing up and I don't need the memory.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I'm going to rub against the grain a bit here and say, that I definitely associate certain scents with age. But its just that, all due to association. If you were to give someone totally devoid of human contact a sample of Zino and a sample of One Million, I doubt that they would be able to say "this was meant for an older person" etc.

Another example of this would be "Rive Gauche". If you ask people what it smells like, most will respond with "Barbasol", a really nice barbasol obviously. I do like the fragrance, its clean, strong, masculine (ie, not the typical frag for 50 y/o a guy with chest hair protruding out of his exaggerated collared shirt from the 70's doused in cologne), however, the smell of barbasol I associate with older men. Realistically, how many 20-30 year olds use Babasol anymore (not to say its a bad product, but most have moved onto Edge/Gillette)

I just recieved Escada PH today, and while do enjoy it, I definitely associate it with something an older man would wear. Probably because some of the older men I have encountered in my life wore scents in a similar vein. It will be my "older" scent in my collection. To be replaced with Azzaro PH one day down the road.

Unfortunately, I wasn't really around fragrance on a regular basis when I was young, other than my cousin, who is about 10 years older than me. I generally really liked the fragrances he wore, perhaps because I associate the smell with the person! haha
    Last edited by Neil4Speed; 2nd November 2011 at 05:14 PM.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I just wear what I like though I am going to wait until I am Eighty and wear One Million and Dior Homme Sport.

I'm looking forward to the time when teenagers, doing the opposite of their parents, will dump the fresh sporty calone laden chemicals favored by the parents, perhaps going back to stuff worn by a generation no longer alive. Habit rouge, as said ...

As for me, my mom wore, and still wears, Aromatics Elixir (and previously Chanel 19), which I do associate with her. But still, I like them a lot ...

cacio

When I was a lad I used to wear Kouros. I basically did not wear any fragrance for more than twenty years, but have a new found interest (just in the last month.) I still think Kouros is better than anything I have smelled (though I do appreciate the range and variety today)and do not find it to be in any way an "old man" smell. Then again, all the images we create must be down to our memories associated with any particular smell, which I suppose accounts for all the wildly differing opinions of different scents. Maybe if a scent was actually similar to the body odour of an OAP or an over hormonal teenager it could justifiably be called an old or young persons scent, but it doesnt sound like much of a marketing ploy.
    N.B. I had forgotten Dior Homme, this I do prefer to anything, even Kouros.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Same here.

My first fragrance was Valentino Vendetta and I still have fond memories of that one. But I don't think that is any better than new one that I have.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I'm sure you're right about how the association is formed, but is "old" the only thing that comes to mind when you think of these people? When I think of my grandmother, or smell her favorite fragrances (which are now some of my favorite fragrances) I think of how stylish, elegant, witty and worldly she was, so my associations are all favorable. I honestly can't name a single fragrance that makes me think "old lady" or "old man" ....maybe because I don't think of being old as a negative, or maybe because I loved smelling these fragrances as a child, and felt privileged and sophisticated when I started wearing them myself.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

When I was young, during the mid to late 90s, it was the heyday of Le Male, ADG, Hugo and L'Eau d'Issey, but even then, from
    the first encounters with fragrance ever, I wore scents which would easily be qualified for "old men"

Just as now, as I grew significantly older, I remained quite constant in my love for conservative scents, but paradoxically,
    newer shy away to put on something "younger" whenever I feel like it
    I can't add to this perfect response from Ken. I don't constrain myself with restrictions on what is deemed age or gender.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Dependent

I love to sport the Polo. Lately, I've also really been into "older person" frags just because of natural interest, and what's weird is I'm most definitely younger and I love wearing these frags but the most compliments I get are on these types of frags...

Banned

+1 ...