Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Find of the year; Chypre de Coty - but how do I get into the bottle?

Allright; so I found a full, unopened bottle of Chypre de Coty, EdC in the original box, at my favourite vintage shop today. I paid about 15 bucks for it. Yes, I am one lucky bastard; I also bought a very vintage bottle of Krasnaya Moskva, which is perfectly lovely, but that's neither here nor there.

The thing is that the Chypre has the remains of a dried-up rubber stopper stuck in the neck that seems likely to crumble if messed with, and I don't really want to just push it into the bottle if I can help it. Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Find of the year; Chypre de Coty - but how do I get into the bottle?

No matter; the rubber stopper did drop into the bottle as soon as I tried to grab hold of it with a tweezer. Oh, well - the fragrance really IS lovely, spiky, green and resinous.

Default Re: Find of the year; Chypre de Coty - but how do I get into the bottle?

Congratulations on your find! Just a couple of days ago, I read TS's great "review" in their new book.

Of course, if you are afraid, you can always decant the liquid to another bottle.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpinett View Post
    No matter; the rubber stopper did drop into the bottle as soon as I tried to grab hold of it with a tweezer. Oh, well - the fragrance really IS lovely, spiky, green and resinous.
    Hi Pimpinett, nice find!
    I posted a thread here after a similar experience when the rubber plug dropped into a bottle of mine also. It really is wise to remove it before the plug starts to deteriorate and compromise the juice.
    Here's how I managed to remove it:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/278...ed-your-advice...

Hope it works for you!
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

Blog Entries

Thank you! That seems like a good idea, I've been worrying a little about the rubber contaminating the fragrance. I will try that and report back.

Blog Entries

I have a good way to decant into another bottle when there is debris. Cut a tiny coffee filter down (they make small ones) you want it small because the perfume will soak it to the top. Put it in the small funnel. Put funnel in bottle before pouring into new bottle.

P.S.-Congratulations on the Chypre, you will love this one!
    Last edited by kumquat; 11th December 2011 at 06:50 PM.

I'm so glad you've posted this because i have an ancient bottle with a stuck rubber stopper too and i've never dared open it. I hadn't thought about the rubber contaminating the fluid unless it was actually in it. Mind you it's so old, I expect it will have already done the damage if it's going to. My juice is much darker than yours, so perhaps it already has. Good suggestion about the coffee filter being trimmed.