Code of Conduct

Default Next Lutens release: L'eau froide

Just to post a new a little in advance that the next Lutens will be a second water called L'eau froide (=cold water) and it should be presented to the press the next week
    No official release date now but if it's the same as last year it could be around around february 2012 ?

And the next to follow in 2012 will be called Une voix noire (=a black voice). According rumour it could be an hommage to american singer Billy Holliday wich SL is a fan and talked about the gardenia she always wore in her hairs... maybe a gardenia perfme ? The only thing who is sure now is the name the rest is only rumour of course.
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 2nd November 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Default Re: Next Lutens release: L'eau froide

Bring 'em on!

Unexcited by Eau Froide, but if the gardenia is a real gardenia (as opposed to the usual shrill white florals bearing the name), that sounds exciting. After all, few flowers have escaped IFRA's demonic pursuits.

cacio

Sounds almost like cool water!

L'eau Freud?

I would be very interested in seeing what Une Voix Noire would be like if it's a gardenia scent by Serge Lutens. I can only imagine.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    L'eau Freud?
    ummm yes, and how do you feel about that ?

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    ummm yes, and how do you feel about that ?
    Very sad, but I love you Serge, I really do.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd November 2011 at 04:09 AM.

l'eau and Serge Lutens should never be used in a sentence unless that sentence is :

Serge will never create a l'eau again!!!

for swap/sale:

It's an epic shame that Shiseido axed the entire IUNX line and then gave the go-ahead for L'eaus and "anti-perfumes" to be added to the Serge Lutens line.

I doubt Sheldrake can beat Giacobetti in the realm of watery / transparent fragrances.
    Last edited by moltening; 3rd November 2011 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post

I doubt Sheldrake can beat Giacobetti in the realm of watery / transparent fragrances.
    Who said hes competing in that realm?
    I doubt Olivia (as much as I love her creations) can compete with Serge in his genre of perfume style.

Dont we sound like little fan boys LOL

for swap/sale:

That you like it or not, i doubt that Lutens (and not Sheldrake) will bring us where we expect to go. He's capable to release something ultra spiced with a name like that.

Basenotes Institution

Look forward to hearing more about these, thanks for the news Mon-Petit.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Glad to know SL is still in the game.

Well, for the record, does anyone know if Tubereuse Criminelle released world wide or not?

I'll wait til this shows up at Marshalls right next to Bang Bang.

..oh wait, this is a Lutens thread. It sounds awesome I can't wait for it rah rah rah!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    L'eau Freud?
    I'm sure it has something to do with sex.

Is L'eau froide perported to be a watery/transparent fragrance? I hadn't heard anything about the actual scent profile.

http://graindemusc.blogspot.com/2011...tens-leau.html
    First preview
    A cold incense, sounds very interesting, love the SL comment.

More Lutens? I wish that they slow down the rythm of launches; it`d be much better if they spend more time studying compositions that could be IFRA compliant and also show the richness and depth of the old Lutens...

More Lutens? I wish that they slow down the rythm of launches; it`d be much better if they spend more time studying compositions that could be IFRA compliant and also show the richness and depth of the old Lutens...
    I don't think that, Lutens isn't that young, he will not release eternally perfume, so let's profite now of these releases.
    And he said that many perfumes were aldready created, they are not created in continue but were created in the last years.

I hope that this one will not smell in the same way as his previous "anti-perfume".

Quote Originally Posted by Mon-Petit View Post
    I don't think that, Lutens isn't that young, he will not release eternally perfume, so let's profite now of these releases.
    And he said that many perfumes were aldready created, they are not created in continue but were created in the last years.
    I don`t know, i think it`s better to profile in few but better worked. And if they are already done too, there is no need to keep launching three every year. My impression is that every year one Lutens is the main work, the one more complex, while the others are just merely pleasant. Also, the continuous rythym makes me think if Shiseido will not start at some time axing great ones of the past in order to open space for newer ones...

As I said in another thread, the turbines of despair ,within me , have begun to spin at uncontrollable revolutions... .. .

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    l'eau and Serge Lutens should never be used in a sentence unless that sentence is :

Serge will never create a l'eau again!!!
    This is so true. The very name of Lutens evokes images of rich scents and spices. Any concept of an eau runs contrary to this!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

This is so true. The very name of Lutens evokes images of rich scents and spices. Any concept of an eau runs contrary to this!
    Hopefully an artist has the right to evoluate and follow his own inspiration/envy without take in consideration what the fans are waited. If not it becomes marketing...

Got it.
    Do you know the Eludril(c) mouthwash solution ? It smells exactly the same lol!
    Cold minty, pharmaceutic start with hesperidic tones (hopefully enough discreets) wich evoke dental products (mouth wash, toothpaste...), pepper and synthetic detergent clean musc.. little by little the mineral incense wake up ( love this note).
    I don't know if i really love it (not a big wow at the first smell) but it's much more interesting than the former L'eau to my nose.
    Btw it still has connections with it (by clean musc and hesperidic). The cold effect is a little strange at first but the mineral icy incense could be really good.

Got it.
    Cold minty, pharmaceutic start with hesperidic tones (hopefully enough discreets) wich evoke dental products (mouth wash, toothpaste...), pepper and synthetic detergent clean musc.. little by little the mineral incense wake up ( love this note).
    I don't know if i really love it (not a big wow at the first smell) but it's much more interesting than the former L'eau to my nose.
    Btw it still has connections with it (by clean musc and hesperidic). The cold effect is a little strange at first but the mineral icy incense could be really good.
    Thanks for sharing this, Mon-Petit.
    Well, would this new release be another disappointment? From what you said, It seems that Lutens has created an Anti-bacteria after an Anti-Perfume!

Thanks for sharing this, Mon-Petit.
    Well, would this new release be another disappointment? From what you said, It seems that Lutens has created an Anti-bacteria after an Anti-Perfume
    lol!
    Well i'm currently wearing it and on my skin those detergents muscs are overwhelming the rest of the composition (and are too similars from the Eau), without that it would be really better (the cold incense concept is interesting imo).

detergents muscs are overwhelming the rest of the composition
    Thank you, but that does it already for me. Not interested.

This sounds like a no-hoper for me.

Une Voix Noire could be promising, but it all depends on the notes ( any news forthcoming? )

Also, Lutens is obsessed with noir and nuit titles. I bet he's really hating Mona for doing Nuit Noire first.

Also, Lutens is obsessed with noir and nuit titles. I bet he's really hating Mona for doing Nuit Noire first.
    Nombre noir, 1982
    Last edited by Mon-Petit; 30th November 2011 at 03:10 PM.

I love Lutens, and I'm usually up for trying anything -- except mint fragrances. Here's to hoping Serge breaks free from his current perfume-rebellion phase and returns to making those great rich and warm perfumes he does best.

Basenotes Institution

Got it.
    Cold minty, pharmaceutic start with hesperidic tones (hopefully enough discreets) wich evoke dental products (mouth wash, toothpaste...), pepper and synthetic detergent clean musc.. little by little the mineral incense wake up ( love this note)...
    Oh no.

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Good point, Primrose. Generally I find Lutens to be rich, even opulent. So an "icy" scent from that house really intrigues me. And after all, Serge himself has said that he has no hesitation to "betray himself."
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

It happens. Igor Stravinsky was blowing everyone away with his pre-WWI primitivist stuff, and by the end of next war, he was writing plinky-plunky Baroque tweeness like The Rake's Progress.

I'm guessing that's what Serge is doing now. ''Think I'm making complex, interesting, quality releases do you? Hah! Take this. I'll give you Tide."

It's an epic shame that Shiseido axed the entire IUNX line and then gave the go-ahead for L'eaus and "anti-perfumes" to be added to the Serge Lutens line.

Agree 100%

Compare any of her IUNX fragrances to any of the l'eaus and you can throw in that anemic cellophane one in there too, and Giacobetti wins.

Next Lutens release:

... called L'eau froide (=cold water) ... presented to the press the next week ...
    And the next ... will be called Une voix noire (=a black voice). According rumour ... hommage to american singer Billy Holliday wich SL is a fan ...
    So next => ...

Which means "skip it!". I can't believe that a proliferation as such grounds on creativity alone. The significant other in this relationship is the disposable income of devoted consumers who - believe it or not - believe in the strange exegeses Lutens propagates.

Even in case the perfume is something beautiful, it isn't worth two seconds. I didn't have enough spare time to check out its predecessors! Not even for one full wearing as the technical term goes. And when I did as with Arabique (called the like, sorry) the juice bored me to death after an hour. To much of no secret, obvious kraut pleasers with sort of exclusivity teaser.

It's all about the next, mind You?

lol
    I think at the contrary that the day he will release "oud something" it will be end of SL.

And personaly i found Jeux de peau rich (too much for many ppl apparently).

Hi Folks - I just did a review for Fragrantica about L'Eau Froide - http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ea...view-2783.html - very intriguing scent and it really feels like it's reaching out to new territories.
    Painting: www.johnbiebel.com | Music: www.ichigatsu.com | Recent Writing: Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by johngreenink View Post
    Hi Folks - I just did a review for Fragrantica about L'Eau Froide - http://www.fragrantica.com/news/L-Ea...view-2783.html - very intriguing scent and it really feels like it's reaching out to new territories.
    oooh! your review has me excited to try this!!

Nice job, John. I can't wait to sample this.
    - Expect the unexpected

Nice review johngreenink, you've made me seriously want to test this now

Great review John, keep them coming! I love quite a few Lutens but passionately detest many others so, maybe, this is going to be a winner for me...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Thank you all for the kind words :-) !
    Painting: www.johnbiebel.com | Music: www.ichigatsu.com | Recent Writing: Serge Lutens

Just trying out L'Eau Froide from the sample the wonderful customer service of SL just sent me. I can now say L'Eau Froide leaves me froid.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Just trying out L'Eau Froide from the sample the wonderful customer service of SL just sent me. I can now say L'Eau Froide leaves me froid.
    Same here... I don't like it, feels like a mix of aquatic-soapy-incense notes that smells like some shower gel i've used in the past. I think I prefer the original L'eau over this... Doesn't feel like a Lutens.
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Same here... I don't like it, feels like a mix of aquatic-soapy-incense notes that smells like some shower gel i've used in the past. I think I prefer the original L'eau over this... Doesn't feel like a Lutens.
    Exactly, again some kind of detergent smell from Lutens. WTF? I also prefer L'Eau over this, at least it's more subtle, and I wasn't too crazy over L'Eau either. Serge, give us some new orientals, please!
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Any word on release date, was told February?

Barney's NY (Dallas) got their inventory of L' Eau Froide today. I was happening by when they opened their box. I got the first bottle! Obviously I like it. But I recommend Froide with caution because this is a very non Lutens type fragrance. There is a cold side to this scent and many will not like it.

You might like L' Eau Froide if you are a fan of fragrances like Mugler Cologne, L' Humaniste, Kenzo Air, Paul Smith Story, L'Artisan Fleur de Liane, and even Nasomatto China White. I'm not saying I like it better than any of these, but its in the same kind of category of scent. There is a bracing cold flinty quality about this that comes from frankincense + iris combined with crisp green notes. Probably lots of synthetics, but who doesn't do that nowadays. The fragrance smells like an icy cliff face that is emerging through its winter melt to reveal a few hardy flowers and grasses.

If you are a lover of traditional Lutensian woods, or counter-intuitive florals or chewy Arabic orientals then you will not like this much. There is no warmth of heart here. But it is a nice clean fresh take on things. Laundry detergent? maybe.

Those in the US who responded to e-mails from Lutens announcing this new frag ( even though the online form did not include a space for US residents) should be receiving their samples now.

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday.

Granted the mailing address did not include the name of my state or country, but the town and zip got it here anyhow.

Light, pleasant and aquatic, as has been mentioned above. Nothing to complain about, but not a typically distinctive Lutens, nor I suspect, was it intended to be.

I adore my 10ml split of L'Eau Froide ... but can anyone recommend anything similar? No one is splitting it, and I'll need more than one cool refreshing option with a stinking Aussie summer looming ...

I own it, and like it a lot! The addition of an insence note makes this a more masculine version of SL L'eau.