Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Secret de Venus so much tulipmania?

I've just ventured onto eBay and am floored at the price of vintage Weils, esp anything Secret de Venus or Zibeline. Still I ask myself, whence my curiosity? Am I, to quote from the sticky, "fragrance promiscuous?" I had, lost, and finally recovered my favorite fragrance. It seems to me that having gotten what I wanted, to go on looking is to deny myself satisfaction.

That fragrance: Mollie Parnis, a Weil scent according to perfumeintelligence.co.uk. I bought some the year it came out, 1978. It was the fragrance that wiped out the memory of any other. It was me. I nursed that bottle (2 oz EDP splash) for over 20 years.For the last 10, I had been content to open the bottle and sniff that remaining quarter inch. Now, I have also scoured eBay for the past 5 years in search of a bottle.

Then in an O'Henry like moment of clarity and raw good luck, I sent out that last remnant to a knowing nose, when, lo and behold I snagged the pure parfum on ebay at a nice price, being to sole bidder. In the meantime, my correspondent had a sighting of the EDP, and I got that, too as sole bidder for a not-ungodly $150. It is everything I remembered and cherished.

I also have Weil de Weil, a magnificent green/galbanum, and a mini of Chunga. Weil intrigues me. Is there a family resemblance to the scents? So I look a little more. Truthfully, when I see SdV with an asking price of $500, my curiosity is tempered by the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I take a deep breath and think, am I happy with Mollie P? Yes, more than happy, content. It is with the help of this forum that I am able to say that. I know what is enough.
    Last edited by jujy54; 6th November 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: comma chameleon
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!