Code of Conduct

Default A question for fragrance collectors..

To collectors: Those of you with larger collections, or collections that just keep expanding (or larger ones that keep expanding ). Did you ever think when you first started out that your collection would be what it is today?

Earlier I was walking by my dresser and it just struck me.. "wow.. that's a lot of stuff". Not just bottles in use.. but back up's, decants, samples, strips, supplies, boxes, storage, etc. My entire dresser is full.

If I knew my dresser was gonna look like it does today, then.. I would have been in shock. I would have never thought that just wanting to smell good could become such a passion. Obviously now, it's more than just wanting to smell good.

This is part of my life. Cheers!
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 11th November 2011 at 10:57 AM.

Default Re: A question for fragrance collectors..

I just had the same thought a few days ago when I opened the lid to my antique wooden 'table' (I'm lacking the proper term in English, maybe even in German ... never mind). Have I mentioned that the lid does not close properly anymore, because there is so much stuff inside?
    No idea when I started off... I am trying to work on an exchange basis... I'm reducing stuff (if the chance arises) I am not very fond of and can't see myself falling for in the future (because of their style and nature). I definitely have to keep the hoarder at bay when it comes to my great perfume loves...

Are your collections in the "Post Your Collection" thread - would quite like to see the extent of your obsessions...

Unfortunately perfumes aren't my only interest, I also collect records (I've more than 20.000 right now but I'm planning to downsize my collection to 15.000) books and oriental teapots. Including decants and samples I own, more or less, 400 perfumes right now, but I see my collection growing in the near future...I should probably move to a larger house pretty soon

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    Are your collections in the "Post Your Collection" thread - would quite like to see the extent of your obsessions...
    Yes, I have posted in there. I will probably wait until the new thread stars before posting again.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I should probably move to a larger house pretty soon

I want more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    No, but mine does by far not rival some 'obscene' ones here... Still, shocking enough for a 'normal person' to see something approaching 100 bottles when I open the lid (my fragrance wardrobe). I may own some 'obscene' amounts of much beloved jus, but that's the hoarder to blame!

The sky is the limit or should I say the credit card bill is the limit? ;-) DAM it increase the credit card limit ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    DAM it increase the credit card limit ;-)
    After your recent Amouage haul you seriously need to talk to your bank LOL

I have an awesome fragrance collection of about 60 bottles. They bring me so much joy. I do want to purchase more, there's so much great stuff out there.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

..I should probably move to a larger house pretty soon
    Absolutely! I heard men are hunters. Lets blame the hunter in you. lol

I'm a couple of years into this hobby, have nearly 60 bottles, and i've barely begun.

I started collecting about 2 and a half years ago. My collecting got out of hand and became too much. So I decided the best way to deal with it was to give away a good proportion of my collection (the ones I seldom wear or the ones that are similar to others I have). Over the last week I gave away something like 30% of my collection and will consider getting rid of more and pare down my collection. The other option was to "tear down my (metaphorical) barn and build a bigger one (to keep the colognes in)" . I never thought I would have a collection as large as I did... it actually became a burden. I remember when I thought 31 fragrances (one for each day of a month) was a lot. (Well it is actually a lot, sometimes I think we lose perspective).

Yeah I knew I'd end up with this amount at this rate.
    When I enjoy something I end up taking it to the extreme (135 dives in 1.5 years?!?).

for swap/sale:

After your recent Amouage haul you seriously need to talk to your bank LOL
    LOL I am afraid you're so right ;-)

Sound Scents

In my case I did not see it coming at all. When I started out years ago I was primarily looking at a couple "go to" scents. 85+ steadily growing bottles later... I guess I can throw that plan out the window. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP FrÚdÚric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri¨) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I started this fragrance obsession about two years ago. I've lost track of counting bottles/decants/samples in, I believe, a subconscious effort to avoid realizing how much money I have spent. I went crazy buying bottles without understanding how quickly my taste would change. But now I'm thinning out the stuff I don't care for anymore. Live and learn, I suppose. To answer the OP's question: No, I never saw things getting this far. I don't regret anything except how quickly I have spent money. Fragrance is such a part of my life now that the idea of a day without wearing fragrance makes me think, "Then why get out of bed?" Not totally healthy, but I live in a place where the winter is long, cold, and rather dreary (for my taste anyway), and for me wearing fragrance on a dreary day is almost as good as the sun shining. I've invested so much into fragrance that I'm beginning to wonder how much of it, if any, would be covered by my homeowner's insurance in the case of a disaster.

Never ever imagined early on that my collection would turn into an obsession, a pleasant one I might add. 1203 and still going. Someone is going to have to deal with where to put them when I finally unload them.

came to the same conclusion about a week ago - i'm thinkin it's time for some of this to go.
    my tastes have changed WAY to much to hold on.

I’m trying to get my collection down to maybe 15 or 20 bottles.....Too many bottles of mine collecting dust while I’ve learned to enjoy the ones I like and not want to buy everything on the market.

I never thought my collection would reach the levels it is at right now. How do I feel about it, a little dissapointed that that I couldn't just get that 1 signature and be happy with it, but on the other side, extremely satisfied with the amount of fun I have had collecting, meeting great basenoters and youtubers. Trying out tonnes of fragrances. As you guys see, I only have a few more on my "buy" list, after that, I will probably cull the collection by a little (~25%?), and then be left with many years of fragrances to really enjoy.

Thats the thought at least!
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Never ever imagined early on that my collection would turn into an obsession, a pleasant one I might add. 1203 and still going. Someone is going to have to deal with where to put them when I finally unload them.
    Please do contact when you decide to unload them.

I was looking for the mythical 'one'. Well it was only semi-mythical because I came across Habit Rouge at about bottle number 7. By then I had realised how many great scents there were and I couldn't restrict myself to 1 (or even 7). So here I am now with 87 and that isn't counting all the ones I've given away. Still, it makes me happy and I have the best smelling nephews in the county

Speaking of posting a picture, lol.. we REALLY need to see yours!

1203 and still going.
    Is there a photo of this collection anywhere?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pigasus27

Yes, my dreams about my future collection were even back then so daring, ambitious and immeasurably lavish, I only put a tiny part of it in practice so far

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Speaking of posting a picture, lol.. we REALLY need to see yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by pigasus27 View Post
    Is there a photo of this collection anywhere?
    Its like a unicorn. Your hear about it but never see it lol.

I'm sooooo looking forward to seeing it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

Count me in.

To answer the OPs question, hell no, I did not see this coming. However I cannot see this going away, either, insofar might as well deal with it
    Smellin good

When I first started, I idly thought I'd be happy with 4 or 5. Now, almost three years later, I've got almost 50. Fortunately I still like and wear most of them - there were a handful I stopped liking entirely, but I swapped them for better alternatives. I have times when I question the amount of time and money I've spent on fragrances, but I don't think I'm going to stop any time soon.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

I didn't really envision this when I stumbled in here looking for a masculine rose scent and something that smelled like X.

There was a period where I bought a lot every month. I've slowed way down and now mostly buy decants unless I truly love something. Part of me enjoys the collection, but the practical part of me gets a bit frustrated with full bottles I bought that I just never find occasion to wear. Lately debating selling off stuff I just don't use. There is only a handful I just don't like, but several that just don't ever make the cut when I reach for a scent.

The problem is twofold. First, I'm not the most technologically savvy person. I can take digital photos but don't know how to get around the limitations of uploading certain size photos and formats imposed by Basenotes. That's why I never post a picture with my SOTD. Secondly, the collection is literally quite massive. They are currently in a walk-in cellar vault that was built years back with separate cubicles to hold each fragrance individually in a controlled light and temperature environment - up to 3000 fragrances. It would be impossible to span the breadth of it with a camera. Nevertheless I will be taking a long overdue inventory in the near future and will need to remove the bottles to temporary storage/location, while some improvements are made with the vault. I promise that when they are all removed I will take photos - and there will be many. Hopefully with someone's guidance I will be able to effortlessly post them here for others to see.

Hednic, I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process.
    I'll select the simplest most straightforward method to getting the photos on the net.

for swap/sale:

Hednic, I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process.
    I'll select the simplest most straightforward method to getting the photos on the net.
    You've got a deal.

This question is well-timed. I'm kind of at a point now where I look at my wardrobe, and I realize that it is turning into a collection. Well over 30 bottles now, and there's plenty more I'm drooling to purchase. Kind of feels like I'm at a crossroads, where I can shut it down and enjoy what I've got or dive in hell-bound for leather and see where it takes me.

Actually, I probably reached that point at about a dozen bottles. Either way, I'm constantly amused and surprised at how much this hobby has taken hold of me, and quite glad as well. However, I don't think this is what I intended when I logged on to basenotes a year ago looking for "the best cologne ever"...

I promise that when they are all removed I will take photos - and there will be many. Hopefully with someone's guidance I will be able to effortlessly post them here for others to see.
    Yay!!! You promised!

Counting only bottles of 1 oz or higher (that includes back ups) and not samples or decants, I am now beyond 1500 pieces and growing.

You can expect to see me and the collection featured on "Hoarders" someday, maybe sooner rather than later...
    Griff

I started collecting scents when I was 15, had maybe 30 bottles. Gave them to my father and settled with 3-4 frags until august 2011, now 8 weeks ago. Was running low and had only half a D&G Pour Homme and 1/8 of Allure Homme left.

Then started collecting shaving gear, brushes and ShaveCreams. Through that found this place.

Now 8 weeks later I own 61 designer EDT 100 ml or 200 ml frags and 6 niche EDT frags 50 ml or 75 ml frags and I've only just started
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

I generally just swap these days, unless I see something on ebay that I can't resist. I've got plenty of stuff I could just put up on ebay, probably as several lots of frag bottles, so if I felt that I had to trim down considerably, I could always do that (or just give them to the local Goodwill store).

The problem is twofold. First, I'm not the most technologically savvy person. I can take digital photos but don't know how to get around the limitations of uploading certain size photos and formats imposed by Basenotes. That's why I never post a picture with my SOTD. Secondly, the collection is literally quite massive. They are currently in a walk-in cellar vault that was built years back with separate cubicles to hold each fragrance individually in a controlled light and temperature environment - up to 3000 fragrances. It would be impossible to span the breadth of it with a camera. Nevertheless I will be taking a long overdue inventory in the near future and will need to remove the bottles to temporary storage/location, while some improvements are made with the vault. I promise that when they are all removed I will take photos - and there will be many. Hopefully with someone's guidance I will be able to effortlessly post them here for others to see.

Just WOW. I would gladly come help you take this inventory.

Hednic, do you keep everything on a spreadsheet ? It would be fun to check even that out.

I am very discriminating when it come to my fragrance collection. I also have some moments of bad judgement but don't we all. Once a year I reevaluate my collection, paying special attention to fragrances that I do not use. Usually, they have lost favor and these will be sold off. I keep my collection under 100 but 75 would be just fine for me.
    - Expect the unexpected

Wow, that's a bit intense.. I know walk in cellars don't come cheap. You should be able to open the door of it and get a picture of the entire cellar though. I can easily get a picture of my entire room (12 x 12) from standing at the door, with my digital camera. Of course, it would be amazing to see the details up close, but the entire collection in all of its epicness would suffice for sure!

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Counting only bottles of 1 oz or higher (that includes back ups) and not samples or decants, I am now beyond 1500 pieces and growing.

You can expect to see me and the collection featured on "Hoarders" someday, maybe sooner rather than later...
    1500+? Holy cow!

Hednic, noggs, you... and I'm not sure who else on BN own >1000 bottles. Hey,you guys should start a subgroup or something... like a MILE High club.