Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pure Distance M

Default Pure Distance M

I just cannot find anything that beats this awesome potion. Anytime I make a purchase and wear it out, I come back to Pure Distance M and think I might as well have burned the money I just spent.
    Last edited by wmim; 10th November 2011 at 01:00 PM.
    -
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Default Re: Pure Distance M

I agree, it's my favorite... nothing really comes close. It's very versatile too, I feel I can wear it anytime.

I was hooked after the first wearing. Great stuff from Puredistance. You should experience Antonia (not necessarily for yourself but just to experience) it's beautiful.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    I agree, it's my favorite... nothing really comes close. It's very versatile too, I feel I can wear it anytime.
    Exactly. It's so perfect. Its as though it would be worn by the worlds most interesting man.

-
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Wore it today. Love this stuff. About as close as I've ever come to wanting something as a signature scent. But, oy with the price...

Doesn't seem to project much, but sits on the skin beautifully.

I bought it last sunday at Scent Bar, it is just amazing.

I'm seriously considering just making it the only option. Kill the rest.
    -
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Man, I hate to rain on the “ M “ parade but I get a mild leather skin scent from this. The two female fragrances I tested were simply amazing but was let down with M.

I’ll give it another wear and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post
    Man, I hate to rain on the “ M “ parade but I get a mild leather skin scent from this. The two female fragrances I tested were simply amazing but was let down with M.

Wow. Ok, please give it another try. Everyone has "off" days.
    -
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grifter View Post

It probably is mild by many standards. Unkess you hit it hard, then your a walking "smooth" leather bomb. At 3.5 sprays, it is a comfortable, wonderful close wearing skin scent. At five sprays it starts to get loud and attack people.

It strikes a nice chord for me at work. Not loud, but really true a delicious cloak on me. I find L'Homme Sage a somewhat similar but louder scent on me. Loving 'em both this last week or so.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 8th November 2011 at 06:24 AM.

It's a nice scent but overly dense and without much - to steal Bigsly's oft-used term - dynamism. I wish Roja Dove would have left a bit more space between the notes - as it is it feels like an odd mix of styles - as if one rendered a watercolor aesthetic with acrylic paints.

I think its primary claim to fame is that it's one of the few scents released anytime recently that has the density of a scent from the 80s. It just doesn't have the intrigue of the great 80s scents though, imo.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 9th November 2011 at 05:45 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

5 sprays? Well played. I can't say that I've worked up the courage to go over 3 but it's taken discipline and restraint but it driven by fear. I have it in my head that too much can be a turn off rather than not worry about that type of possible reaction. I like your style. I'm going to try it tomorrow night and wear the damn thing.
    -
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's a nice scent but overly dense and without much - to steal Bigsly's oft-used term - dynamism. I wish Roja Dove would have left a bit more space between the notes - as it is it feels like an odd mix of styles - as if one rendered a watercolor aesthetic with acrylic paints.

I think it's primary claim to fame is that it's one of the few scents released anytime recently that has the density of a scent from the 80s. It just doesn't have the intrigue of the great 80s scents though, imo.
    Interesting take.
    Last edited by wmim; 10th November 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    -
    Oud 27 makes me sex.

Quote Originally Posted by Fordy Ford View Post
    5 sprays? Well played. I can't say that I've worked up the courage to go over 3 but it's taken discipline and restraint but it driven by fear. I have it in my head that too much can be a turn off rather than not worry about that type of possible reaction. I like your style. I'm going to try it tomorrow night and wear the damn thing.
    I didn't quite understand the potentcy of "extrait." You will be noticed. It got a bit uncomfortable for me.

I said 3.5 sprays was comfortable above and I meant 2.5.

I've gone through 2 bottles so far, and will not hesitate to buy a third. I never get tired of M.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

hold on... this is a $200 17.5ml SPRAY?

so it lasts what, 3 weeks?

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post

25 .7ml samples @ $7.00 a piece weigh in at $175.00 at Lucky Scent

Just saying...

17.5 / 2ml per wearing = 8 wearings.

for swap/sale:

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    17.5 / 2ml per wearing = 8 wearings.
    From the .7ml sample I've received, I'd estimate at least 3 wearings. It's quite strong.

The stuff's not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    From the .7ml sample I've received, I'd estimate at least 3 wearings. It's quite strong.

The stuff's not bad either.
    7 wearings.

for swap/sale:

Sound Scents

I like M a lot, but find the price per ml more than a bit off-putting. Very nice scent though for those that are willing and able to pay for it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Maybe it's subliminal because of cost, but my mind's eye sees M as too close to my good friend Bel Ami (Vintage) to go chasing after.

I kinda like having a nose that has limitations, otherwise I'd be hand-wringing over the sightest of differences. Ignorance is bliss, in this context, ... at least to my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    25 .7ml samples @ $7.00 a piece weigh in at $175.00 at Lucky Scent

Just saying...
    Been there, done that...

Just like with Rolexes, Ferrari's and beach houses, I will simply pretend this does not exist. Out of my reach. Ignorance is bliss.

I like M very much. It is one of my top twenty for sure. It would be an impossibility for me to wear this everyday - it's just too much fragrance for my more natural lifestyle. To use an automobile analogy - I would not want to ride in my Rolls or Mercedes S Class everyday (if I had one!) but some days I am more at home in the old truck and most days I cruise in my SUV; but, it is nice to have the Rolls for when you might need one - but not very often. Don't get me wrong it is a great balance of dry masculine notes of tobacco and leather against the sweet oriental amber base, but it is very dense, and there are times when the sweetness, the opulance and as SOS said so well the "density" of it just rubs me the wrong way. It can be too big a scent for me at times. But for a night out, or romantic occasion it is a wonderful fragrance when lightly applied.

Since it's an extrait, the theory is you use much less. My jury is still out on that. Plus, a personal pet peeve, container does not show you how much is left in it.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Since it's an extrait, the theory is you use much less. My jury is still out on that. Plus, a personal pet peeve, container does not show you how much is left in it.
    Or being able to screw off the atomiser... to replenish the container with the contents of M samples...

^ Trebor, you are a schemer!!

I would probably stick with the samples anyway, as I prefer to dab oils on, rather than spray. Maybe I'll get a sample and see what this hullabaloo is about.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Institution

I wore this out to a club where there was lots of dancing Saturday night and a guy walked by me and complimented me on my fragrance - I was a bit surprised as I didn't think this stuff had a lot of sillage but apparently it does. I love it, but I am not crazy about it. I think I prefer the more brassy Xerjoff Homme or the stranger Nostalgia by SMN over this one - although I really think it's impressive.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore this out to a club where there was lots of dancing Saturday night and a guy walked by me and complimented me on my fragrance - I was a bit surprised as I didn't think this stuff had a lot of sillage but apparently it does. I love it, but I am not crazy about it. I think I prefer the more brassy Xerjoff Homme or the stranger Nostalgia by SMN over this one - although I really think it's impressive.

Yeah, there's not a lot of projection but sillage is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier
    Maybe it's subliminal because of cost, but my mind's eye sees M as too close to my good friend Bel Ami (Vintage) to go chasing after.

It shares a lot of similarities, especially at first, but M feels more modern and the drydowns show quite a few differences, where M is sweeter and the vanilla lingers.

Also, the luckyscent samples are 1 mL, not .7 mL I only use .1 -.2 mL per per application so it's not too expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Yeah, there's not a lot of projection but sillage is huge.
    I though those terms were synonymous. It would be really embarrassing if I am wrong.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I though those terms were synonymous. It would be really embarrassing if I am wrong.
    I think projection is simply how far away you can smell it while sillage translated means wake, so it's the scent trail that's left when you walk by or move around. M leaves a huge scent trail but stays close to the body, so if you're just standing there people need to get very close to you to smell it.

I don't like frags with too much projection, it seems obnoxious, while smelling sillage is a momentary experience. There's no escape from frags with huge projection...

^ Ah, a fine distinction, thank you. That does make sense.

It stands to reason that most scents with lots of projection would also have strong sillage, but the opposite is not necessary the case. It's possible that a scent with low projection, but which lingers well, would waft strongly with movement. The latter is probably a lot rarer to experience.

That all sounds great guys, but I couldn't find a review of it in the review section!!

Puredistance M is not in the frag directory on basenotes for some reason.

I'm still out on this, I cannot (yet) escape the feeling that this has a very distinct BO vibe going on. Smells like cumin I guess.
    It's complex and unique though, thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    I'm still out on this, I cannot (yet) escape the feeling that this has a very distinct BO vibe going on.
    That doesn't sound very enticing.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    That doesn't sound very enticing.
    Shouldn't you know how it smells, since you have already tried it? http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268...light=distance

Banned

Puredistance M, a quality, leather chypre extrait, with a light, scent cloud, which is not uncommon for an extrait strength composition ... simmers on your skin ... excellent longevity ... you have one of the finest scents for the genre ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyegaard View Post
    Puredistance M is not in the frag directory on basenotes for some reason.

I'm still out on this, I cannot (yet) escape the feeling that this has a very distinct BO vibe going on. Smells like cumin I guess.
    It's complex and unique though, thats for sure.
    There are a couple of sporadic remarks about cumin, but I sure don't get anything like that at any point in its application or development.

Not saying you don't experience it that way, but I don't think there is any cumin in it at all.

I find Guerlain Arsene Lupin Dandy to be very simmilar to Pure Distance M. Same masculine vibe and scent wise almost the same.
    Pure Distance M is deeper and more balsamic where Arsene Lupin is more dry and woody. I love both.

I really liked it until I started noticing the immortelle note. Between that and the cumin I just cant wear it. Even in minute doses I just can't stomach immorelle.

I also want to echo SoS's comments about its density. It's an astute observation, and accurate in this case. The whole composition feels a bit exhausting with all those notes cascading around. I kept waiting for it to open up and breathe a bit.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins View Post
    I really liked it until I started noticing the immortelle note. Between that and the cumin I just cant wear it. Even in minute doses I just can't stomach immorelle.
    -Slim
    If some people don't like it, great... but none of the profiles I see list either cumin or immortelle.

From Puredistance website:
    Bergamot, Lemon, Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Mosses, Cistus, Vetiver, Patchouli, Vanilla, Leather, Musk

.1 ml per wearing? If so, very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Puredistance M, a quality, leather chypre extrait, with a light, scent cloud, which is not uncommon for an extrait strength composition ... simmers on your skin ... excellent longevity ... you have one of the finest scents for the genre ...
    Well said. I like this one a good deal but wish it was sold in a conventional atomizer in a 50ml size. I toss the stupid presentation case. More than a rich leather going on but the leather anchors it. It has excellent lasting power.

Martin

If want to have a "luxuries" moments M is applied. I love this scent, it is in my top five perfumes.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Plus, a personal pet peeve, container does not show you how much is left in it.
    this pisses me off more than anything. well, maybe not more than the various Mugler rubber flasks, but that has more to do with the chemical warfare inside.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I nearly purchased this fragrance as it develops a really lovely floral accord after the opening. But I do not like Cumin in fragrances and I detected this in the opening and it was a deal breaker for me. I just could not fork over the cash for just liking part of a fragrance. A real shame as I really had high hopes for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just like with Rolexes, Ferrari's and beach houses, I will simply pretend this does not exist. Out of my reach. Ignorance is bliss.
    Yep. On Ebay

£185.23
    for 17ml.

Well, there might be something else that isn't cumin, but there is absolutely a cumin-ish smell on my hand right now.

I'll also echo the "dense" comments, it's not that it's bad or anything, but smelling my hand it sort of feels like you could suffocate on the smell alone somehow, it's just like a wall of smell.

That sounded very negative, and I do detect something very nice in here, something I may actually come around to at some point, but I do know I'm not there yet.

One should have a sample of this though, it's interesting to smell this one either way.

Not too many complaining about the scent, except for those who think they smell cumin. No scent is for everyone. The bottle definitely sucks. I hate that I can't see how much is left, or that I have to store it in the box it came in to keep it from rolling off the shelf.

There are many complaints about the cost of M. Here's how I decided I could afford it. I'll just cut my monthly $200 sample budget in half, and I can buy a bottle of M every 60 days if I so choose.

The samples I ordered just today: You can do the math.
    Vivace by Sospiro
    Duetto by Sospiro
    Cuirs by Carner Barcelona
    Tardes by Carner Barcelona
    Azemour les Orangers by Parfums d'Empire
    Tabac Blond Extrait by Caron
    Poivre Extrait by Caron
    Miriam by Tableau de Parfums

I won't stop sampling because it's a big part of the hobby. I got to noticing how many bottles I have that are 80% full and will probably be that way next year, and the year after. At least with M, I enjoy it enough to go through entire bottles.

If some people don't like it, great... but none of the profiles I see list either cumin or immortelle.

From Puredistance website:
    Bergamot, Lemon, Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Patchouli, Mosses, Cistus, Vetiver, Patchouli, Vanilla, Leather, Musk

Oh come on man, you've been around long enough to know that lists of notes are just another layer of marketing hype and often have a barely tenuous relationship to reality.

In this case I trust my nose.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Basenotes Institution

I think the cumin everyone is smelling is very interesting.

I love the smell of cumin in fragrances and yet I don't smell it at all in M. Strange.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think the cumin everyone is smelling is very interesting.

I love the smell of cumin in fragrances and yet I don't smell it at all in M. Strange.
    I'm not going to argue with anyone who thinks it has cumin. I'm sure they smell something that evokes cumin to their nose and that's all that matters.

Anything is possible, but if it had cumin, I see no reason they wouldn't list it. It's a pretty commonly used note. I've seen some people say they get tobacco in it too.

@thebeck - thanks a lot for giving me inspiration to look for ways to keep feeding my M fix...
    Last edited by StylinLA; 10th November 2011 at 04:05 AM.

I bet the oakmoss/other-mosses in this are what people are reading in cumin. I know that happens fairly often, as it did with Jubilation 25 (women's) - so many people smell cumin there but what it is they're smelling, I believe, is a strong dose of oakmoss.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Jazznpool View Post
    Well said. I like this one a good deal but wish it was sold in a conventional atomizer in a 50ml size. I toss the stupid presentation case.
    Same issues here but I would have probably purchased a couple of bottles if it was a 25ml.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Same issues here but I would have probably purchased a couple of bottles if it was a 25ml.
    Hear, hear! There is something terribly psychologically deflating about 17.5 ml.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I bet the oakmoss/other-mosses in this are what people are reading in cumin. I know that happens fairly often, as it did with Jubilation 25 (women's) - so many people smell cumin there but what it is they're smelling, I believe, is a strong dose of oakmoss.
    Good call. This 'almost human element' is probably what makes good vintage chypres, great.

Anyone else here getting similarities to MPG Ambre Precieux? That's all I can think about when wearing. I guess it must be the amber in this fragrance.

I totally agree with the observations that this fragrance is heavy and thick. In fact, I keep getting a very pronounced waxy note which makes this one smell like a candle.

So far I'm into this, but definitely not blown away.

Still trying to like it.
    Last edited by pluran; 29th November 2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: mons veneris

I won't stop sampling because it's a big part of the hobby. I got to noticing how many bottles I have that are 80% full and will probably be that way next year, and the year after. At least with M, I enjoy it enough to go through entire bottles.
    This is an interesting consideration that, until about a month ago, had not dawned on me. I got into scent only about 2 years ago - when I found a copy of Turin's PERFUMES, enjoyed the wit, but then wanted to experience the substance, and started testing... buying..., buying more, and buying a LOT more. I now thorouly enjoy the hobby, if finding it a bit like wine tasting - more interesting when discussed with friends and colleages. That's how I rationalize a wine collection... it gets shared... it shrinks as fast as it grows.

Fragrance - No such luck. I can't seem to dent these bottles. I know this is off thread, but I agree a bit with thebeck's way of thinking regarding the vial size of M. I'm on a teacher's salary, but somehow have managed to rack up well-protected cases of a large fleet of full bottles, many in the Niche and upscale category. I suddenly hit the realization just this Christmas that I need a dose of that weight loss video mantra, "STOP THE INSANITY." Either I need to meet more people that want to swap, share, experience (hard in the Czech Republic where body oder can be the Eau du jour) or otherwise start a trend of sampling only... and if I like it... hold on dearly to the SAMPLE.

I'm not that old, but can't imagine going through the collection I have on hand before I croak. At least my casket will have many options to carry me, fragrant, into the next life.

Rambling... but just to say... the 17.5ml of M is a good investment for a nice amount of a gorgeous fragrance.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man