Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pure Distance M

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pure Distance M

I just ordered some samples. I love chypres, so hopefully I'll dig this.

And when I say "hopefully", I mean for me... not my wallet.
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    This is an interesting consideration that, until about a month ago, had not dawned on me. I got into scent only about 2 years ago - when I found a copy of Turin's PERFUMES, enjoyed the wit, but then wanted to experience the substance, and started testing... buying..., buying more, and buying a LOT more. I now thorouly enjoy the hobby, if finding it a bit like wine tasting - more interesting when discussed with friends and colleages. That's how I rationalize a wine collection... it gets shared... it shrinks as fast as it grows.

Fragrance - No such luck. I can't seem to dent these bottles. I know this is off thread, but I agree a bit with thebeck's way of thinking regarding the vial size of M. I'm on a teacher's salary, but somehow have managed to rack up well-protected cases of a large fleet of full bottles, many in the Niche and upscale category. I suddenly hit the realization just this Christmas that I need a dose of that weight loss video mantra, "STOP THE INSANITY." Either I need to meet more people that want to swap, share, experience (hard in the Czech Republic where body oder can be the Eau du jour) or otherwise start a trend of sampling only... and if I like it... hold on dearly to the SAMPLE.

I'm not that old, but can't imagine going through the collection I have on hand before I croak. At least my casket will have many options to carry me, fragrant, into the next life.

Rambling... but just to say... the 17.5ml of M is a good investment for a nice amount of a gorgeous fragrance.
    Great post!

I got a 1.5ml sample from the perfumed court and upon initial spray I thought it was crap. An hour later it was a little better. Now 5 hours later it smells GORGEOUS. The leathery vanilla spicy drydown is awesome. Man does this thing last too! I'm a believer!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I sprayed some on a sticky note 4 days ago and it smells like I just sprayed it on yesterday! It smells better the longer it's on too! What is this madness???

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I sprayed some on a sticky note 4 days ago and it smells like I just sprayed it on yesterday! It smells better the longer it's on too! What is this madness???
    The fragrance is made up I believe from 25% concentrated perfume oil that is why it smells so awesome and lasts. I recently got a split of this juice and I gotta say the jasmine floral note is the best I have smelled in a frag. And when the cinnamon vanille comes together with the oakmoss leather and that floral note its pure magic.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 19th March 2012 at 09:36 AM.

I wish it was more affordable. $200 for a 17ml is a little out of my budget. Next time there's a split for this, I'm getting in!

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I wish it was more affordable. $200 for a 17ml is a little out of my budget. Next time there's a split for this, I'm getting in!
    You need such a tiny amount, it's actually not a bad deal. The only baffling thing is that 17ml vial has a powerful sprayer. It's rather annoying because one spray is more than enough, so you only get to choose one place to put it. I'm going to decant into a rollon bottle. The topnotes come out much more beautifully when not sprayed anyway.

Mesaboogie, I don't think you'll dislike the opening if you don't spray it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    You need such a tiny amount, it's actually not a bad deal. The only baffling thing is that 17ml vial has a powerful sprayer. It's rather annoying because one spray is more than enough, so you only get to choose one place to put it. I'm going to decant into a rollon bottle. The topnotes come out much more beautifully when not sprayed anyway.

I know what you mean, I have a 1.5ml sample spray from the perfumed court and one spray is definitely enough. I can live with the opening b/c the drydown is magnificent.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post

I hear you about the sprayer! It should spray something like 1/4 what it does. Many times I just dab from a vial.

Spraying vs dabbing does change the balance of notes, and not just the topnotes. Not sure which I prefer... probably dabbing because for me the biggest difference is the cinnamon/vanilla facet is stronger when sprayed.

One time I used two sprays... my friend commented that it was strong. It left massive silliage trails but still didn't project more than a couple feet. I really like this because I don't want my frags to project too much.

I got a 1.5ml sample from the perfumed court and upon initial spray I thought it was crap. An hour later it was a little better. Now 5 hours later it smells GORGEOUS. The leathery vanilla spicy drydown is awesome. Man does this thing last too! I'm a believer!
    Sometimes it seems like it takes a few minutes to "open up" and get going...

I didnt enjoy this the first time I tried it, but then it grows on you. M impressed me big time this year.

I've been testing this over the last couple of weeks, waiting to truly get a feel for it before posting anything, but I think this is probably the most "well done" fragrance I've ever come across. I can't even really think of anything that comes close. There are so many things to like about it, the fact that it gets better and better the longer it stays on the skin, the fact that it stays on the skin forever, the fact it is both very unique yet entirely wearable, the fact that it is the perfect balance of sweet and leather with a depthless symphony of notes that are in perfect harmony. The fragrance just feels like a flowing cascade of olfactory genius. Sorry to wax so poetic or dish out all this hype but I've searched a long time to find a fragrance like this (the closest I had come was maybe Santal de Mysore by Lutens).

To add to some comments already, I'm one of those who definitely detects a cumin note. It may not be listed in the notes list but that doesn't mean much. I'm kind of addicted to cumin fragrances and feel I'm pretty decent at sniffing that particular note out. Granted, just based on how well this fragrance is done it's entirely possible that this cumin-like note is actually the result of a blending of other notes. Either way, it doesn't matter, this thing is drop dead brilliant. My gf says it smells like she's snuggling up to a viking in the backseat of a rolls royce in wintertime, how can you not love that?!

I've got about 2ml left in my decant and once that's gone I'm springing for the 17.5ml

By far the 2 best leather fragrances I have ever tried are Puredistance M an Creed Royal English Leather.

Amazing stuff. I will always have this one in my collection.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just like with Rolexes, Ferrari's and beach houses, I will simply pretend this does not exist. Out of my reach. Ignorance is bliss.
    +1

I sometimes sample niche frags out of my price range just to see what all of the fuss is about, but this one is just too far out of reach. I don't even want to kid myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    +1

I sometimes sample niche frags out of my price range just to see what all of the fuss is about, but this one is just too far out of reach. I don't even want to kid myself.
    Thats why there is splits so you can get a taste of the good stuff without it costing a arm or a leg.

Smells good but it mostly just trudges/grates along with a brown-study grimness. I always look forward to wearing it but it almost always bores the hell out of me within two hours and it feels damn good to get it off. The best thing it has going for it is probably the 25% concentration.

Still trying, though. It's my kind of fragrance.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st December 2012 at 07:44 AM.

This one is amazing and sexy... I just don't ever feel rich enough to wear it.... I guess I could wear it to church?

- - - Updated - - -

This one is amazing and sexy... I just don't ever feel rich enough to wear it.... I guess I could wear it to church?

love it ... worth every bit of it.
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

I totally feel the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wore this out to a club where there was lots of dancing Saturday night and a guy walked by me and complimented me on my fragrance - I was a bit surprised as I didn't think this stuff had a lot of sillage but apparently it does. I love it, but I am not crazy about it. I think I prefer the more brassy Xerjoff Homme or the stranger Nostalgia by SMN over this one - although I really think it's impressive.

Ok, well I received my sample of M from Luckyscent today. I put on no more than 1/8th of the sample vial and headed out by bicycle to a bunch of meetings. It's Summer here in Australia.

It goes on as a spicy sweet leather, and stays that way on the skin, although becoming a bit more powdery - BUT - all day I have been basking in waves of the most amazing cinnamon vanilla slightly leather cloud. I keep thinking 'where is it coming from?' I smell my arm again - I smell under my shirt again - it's the spicy sweet leather I applied! How can this be?? The only conclusion I can come to is that this stuff is magic!!!

Six hours later and it's still going strong in that amazing subdued way, I'm home and I've just reapplied - not because I need to but because I want too. I love this stuff. I love it even more than my beautiful Habit Rouge extrait. I had decided to stop spending on frags as my collection is large and wonderful - BUT I may trade in all future purchases for the year for a bottle of this elixer.

I try not to believe hype, as we are all different, but I do recommend people sample this one - just 1ml will last quite a while.

There is nothing special in listed ingredients list. What is the secret aroma chemicals here that make it work?

The quality of the ingredients

yeah right. there must be more then the eye could see.

I think that the blending of the ingredients, likely the quality of the ingredients and the quantity of the ingredients as well.

It's a potent, heady blend. Initially, I was not "wowed" but after letting it linger a bit, I just couldn't get enough of it. This seems to be the general consensus as well.

If you like it, check out it 1st cousin, Hermes Bel Ami but better to try the vintage formula of that one if you can.
    Meanwhile, modern bottles of Bel Ami aren't inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    yeah right. there must be more then the eye could see.

Bel Ami is Hermes, the most expensive brand in the world that charges 100k+ for Birkin bags that selected few can buy, regardless of $$$ and you comparing it to Puredistance? I'm sorry... and even Bel Ami is considerably less expensive.

Bergamot, lemon, rose, jasmin, cinnamon, patchouli, moss, cistus, vetiver, vanilla, leather, musk

Someone in the know should tell us what else is there. There is no aroma chemicals listed and it's not oils/absolutes only blend, fact.

Quote Originally Posted by outline View Post
    Bel Ami is Hermes, the most expensive brand in the world that charges 100k+ for Birkin bags that selected few can buy, regardless of $$$ and you comparing it to Puredistance?
    actually the two are rather similar, there was a thread about this recently.... the consensus (i think) was that m is smoother, more potent, longer lasting, and somewhat richer, whereas bel ami is citrus on the top and much more dissonant than m.

that said, bel ami is easier to wear, and doesn't project as much--which in certain situations might be actually prefable.

I agree 100%. This is why I mention trying the vintage formula, which to my recollection was more potent with a slightly richer opening.

I still prefer the M but it I were forced to compare it to something, Bel Ami would be my first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    actually the two are rather similar, there was a thread about this recently.... the consensus (i think) was that m is smoother, more potent, longer lasting, and somewhat richer, whereas bel ami is citrus on the top and much more dissonant than m.

that said, bel ami is easier to wear, and doesn't project as much--which in certain situations might be actually prefable.

Roja Dove is the only man in the world who bears the title, Professeur du Parfum. His legendary nose is said to be able to detect over 800 perfumes from a mere sniff. After working for almost twenty years for Guerlain, he left to pursue his own ventures which include the speciality boutique within a boutique at Harrod’s called Roja Dove Haute Parfumerie.

M is inspired by the stylish comforts of the interior of a grey Aston Martin. M is a leather
    chypre of classic proportions… with an unexpected oriental twist, which lends the perfume an original and modern feel.

The warm smoothness of the blend is incomparable. The composition purrs softly along, weaving the leather accord into the road-map of spices, woods and resins. The chic, sensual and comforting trip takes the wearer from the leathery start to the softly-smoldering woody, balsamic base via the delicately earthy heart.

Enveloping and comforting as it is, M, with its elegantly smoky leather, has a hint of excitement and danger, which is just how it should be, in a fragrance inspired by Bond’s car.

I love this stuff. If only I can find someone in the UK to split it with.

- - - Updated - - -

Love it. Wish it wasn't so expensive and that you got more of it in the bottle.

Hows the cumin in comparison to say Cartier Decleration which is very cuminy (if that's a word) in its cuminification (ditto).

The cumin is mixed very well IMO. It is not overly present and I have to strain to detect it and wonder if it's cumin at all. If it is, it's a supporting player for me.
    YMMV and at the price point, a sample is definitely needed before a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Hows the cumin in comparison to say Cartier Decleration which is very cuminy (if that's a word) in its cuminification (ditto).

I don't get any cumin at all in Declaration. I believe you're noticing the cardamom, which is quite present, and could be confused with cumin since both are used in Indian cuisine. Cumin has a more savory, dry quality, whereas cardamom is warm and slightly sweet. Smell both side-by-side sometime to really nail the difference.

I don't detect much in the way of cumin (or cardamon) - more cinnamon as the spice. Certainly it does not resemble Declaration.

Blog Entries

I just tried 'M' and really do like it. Sadly, I am dismayed by the price. I'm thinking it has a strong resemblance to 'Bois des Iles' or is it 'Amouage XXV'?

Basenotes Plus

Love this stuff and just ordered a bottle of it

for what I have understood in the world of luxury items the quality/price ratio is very abstract concept and over pricing is the rule

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    for what I have understood in the world of luxury items the quality/price ratio is very abstract concept and over pricing is the rule
    Prices are a mechanism to target the customer type.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

The 'M' is for Major Money!

On the other hand, in general, you get what you pay for. I haven't found a cheapie that comes close to the finesse and beauty of M.
    Some have suggested vintage Bel Ami is close, but it isn't cheap either...

I have vintage Bel Ami as well as M.... they are definitely similar and I wouldn't surprised if Bel Ami was M's primary inspiration...but M smells richer and more modern. There are a lot of other differences as well, you could make a list of many, many of them.... imo they are different enough that both are well worth owning!

I have tried and tried to like this. Wore it yesterday and to a board meeting last night. It is just sharp and thin smelling on me. I'd take the current Bel Ami any day over M. Some scents win me over, such as Invasion Barbare.

When you have to try this hard, it ain't worth the effort. Oh well. My skin decimates this and it doesn't even last on me. My wife could not smell it on me when I got home. Pure Distance M does not click for me. I'm glad some found love with M!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Smells good but it mostly just trudges/grates along with a brown-study grimness. I always look forward to wearing it but it almost always bores the hell out of me within two hours and it feels damn good to get it off. The best thing it has going for it is probably the 25% concentration.

Still trying, though. It's my kind of fragrance.
    I agree with your first two sentences. As for 25% concentration, I surely cannot tell. It is weak on my skin. I'm not kidding at all. My wife agrees, and she has a great nose. I'm tired of trying to like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Maybe it's subliminal because of cost, but my mind's eye sees M as too close to my good friend Bel Ami (Vintage) to go chasing after.

I kinda like having a nose that has limitations, otherwise I'd be hand-wringing over the sightest of differences. Ignorance is bliss, in this context, ... at least to my wallet.
    After spending time with this, this Bel Ami Oriental concentree... my wallet lost the battle big time. I can't imagine M getting lost on one's skin -- Maybe a fractional spray upon clothing?

Quite the modern take on an old chypre. Kudos to mr. Dorje123 and others; I've found their impressions spot-on.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    The 'M' is for Major Money!
    Thanks for the correction, I thought....

The "M" was for Masterpiece

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Thanks for the correction, I thought....

The "M" was for Masterpiece
    Maybe it's for '​Mmmmmm!'

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Maybe it's for '​Mmmmmm!'
    Very nice comeback. I like it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Very nice comeback. I like it!
    Thanks - I like this scent, too. It's dreamy!

I thought this was going to be my next purchase but after receiving my sample today it didn't excite me as much. The first time I smelled it my senses picked up a coffee'd leather with a taste of florals.

This time around it seems like a well done generic leather scent. There is no wow factor besides the first few minutes of the opening. I was ready to drop some serious coin on this one but I don't feel it is worth it. Although it is a pleasant fragrance I feel there is better in this genre.

The fact that it is an extrait seemed to prove little in relation to potency and longevity.

BUMMER