Code of Conduct

Default Help - Costume National Homme or Scent 21?

I'm tempted by both - their notes, and the reviews here on BN are responsible for that! But I have to discipline myself and just buy one for now - but which one?

Your comments and guidance would be much appreciated.

PS. This will be a blind buy in both cases.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Help - Costume National Homme or Scent 21?

Costume National Homme >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Scent 21

Thanks - that was a quick response!

Your opinion is always worth taking into consideration - thank you.

I have never tried Homme but do have 21 on my whislist. It is a very modern, confident scent, with a lighter take on patchouli than in many other patch-dominated fragrances. An intriguing fragrance.

Why don't you get samples of both and try them before buying?

Finding samples is not proving very easy, unfortunately. Having said that, I can get a set of 7 samples for £15 which would then be refunded against a purchase. Trouble is, the sample set has 4 feminine perfumes, which are no good to me!

I loved Homme enough to buy a bottle. 21 was pleasant but didn't bowl me over. Homme is super-power - 3 sprays last me all day. A dry, minty coconut woody scent which is quite unique.

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    Finding samples is not proving very easy, unfortunately. Having said that, I can get a set of 7 samples for £15 which would then be refunded against a purchase. Trouble is, the sample set has 4 feminine perfumes, which are no good to me!
    You can buy large samples for reasonable prices through the internet from First in Fragrance (aus liebe zum duft) in Germany. They do ship to GB. Other good sites for samples are (albeit much more expensive and shipping + customs duties are not negligible for us living in Europe): The perfumed court and The posh peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by bonsai View Post
    You can buy large samples for reasonable prices through the internet from First in Fragrance (aus liebe zum duft) in Germany. They do ship to GB. Other good sites for samples are (albeit much more expensive and shipping + customs duties are not negligible for us living in Europe): The perfumed court and The posh peasant.
    Aaaahhhh yes....... I'd forgotten about First in Fragrance....... and I've bought from them in the past.

Thank you Bonsai, my little tree........

Sorry - double post!
    Last edited by HDD8; 8th November 2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Double post

Get CDG Original Eau De Parfum. If you really have to go for Costume National, sample first.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Of the two I'd choose Scent 21, but don't really care for either.

No a lot of love for Scent 21, but I think it's great - a very modern and unique amber based scent with a really intriguing creaminess to it on my skin. Certainly worth a try at a minimum.

Have not tried CN Homme.

CN Homme - look who the perfumer is. Quality all the way down the line! Scent 21 is great too but found it a bit to pretty for my tastes!

Quote Originally Posted by kccparis View Post
    CN Homme - look who the perfumer is.
    That's exactly the point. The fragrance per se is not bad but considering is by Dominique Ropion is very disappointing and derivative IMO. No comparisons to masterpieces such as Une Fleur De Cassie, Carnal Flower, Portrait Of a Lady, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geranium Pour Monsieur, Pure Poison, Ysatis or even Alien.

A minor release IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

CNH initially offers a tasty, spicy citrus, with a fantastic wood and tobacco, which is overlaid throughout its full development, and is carried to its resplendent spices, with cloves, cinnamon and thyme sharing the stage in the heart, thence enveloped by its somewhat powdery, savory incense base ... 21, on the other hand, welcomes one with its amazing, spicy, citrus opening, carrying one to its wonderful, orange blossom heart, and thence to its tantalizingly spicy and custardy base, intriguingly melding with its woods ...
    this is a King Solomon moment for me, which I pass to you ...

Thanks to everyone for your input - you've certainly given me food for thought!

Thanks also to alfarom regarding CDG. I do like some of their stuff, so I'll most likely follow that one up.

I'll let you know which one I go for, and also my thoughts on it once I've tried it out.

Double post - AGAIN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    I can send you samples of both Costume National Homme and 21...... AND I AM A GIRL!........ They are no good to me, not because they are "masculines" but because they are no good to me.....

Only kidding! You are most welcome to the samples (there is a good try left in each one). Hopefully they will help you make up your mind. Just PM me if you would like them and I can post them off tomorrow.

....and stop tittering you lot, I am still a girl, well in my world anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Foustie View Post
    I can send you samples of both Costume National Homme and 21...... AND I AM A GIRL!........ They are no good to me, not because they are "masculines" but because they are no good to me.....

Only kidding! You are most welcome to the samples (there is a good try left in each one). Hopefully they will help you make up your mind. Just PM me if you would like them and I can post them off tomorrow.

....and stop tittering you lot, I am still a girl, well in my world anyway.

Thanks for your generous offer. PM sent.

I have a sample of each en route - thanks to Foustie. I'll try them both and let you know which one I plump for.

Well..... I've now had the chance to sample both, thanks to Foustie's generosity.

I really like both, but Homme just edges it - so that's the one I'm going for.

Scent 21 is now on my want list though, so maybe - with Christmas approaching - I won't be waiting too long.

Thanks to you all for your helpful comments.

So did you buy a full bottle afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by bgoc View Post
    So did you buy a full bottle afterwards?
    Eeee by gum.... you've dug this one up....

Yes, I've now got a bottle of each in my collection - both really good, in my opinion. Even bought a bottle of "Homme" for my son for Christmas - he loves it too!

I find scent 21 too sweet for my taste