Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Are Tom Ford fragrances sometimes unfairly dismissed?

not on this website

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    not on this website
    + 1

I've seen bond and creed being ripped to shreds. Not tom ford.

While the TF line has it's detractors and advocates, you have to admit that their advertising is cause enough for some to be disenchanted by the whole line. Just google "Tom Ford ad", and you'll see what I mean (NSFW at all). Other than that, I find the line to be similar to other house lines; with the exception that Tom Ford has released a plethora of scents (20 something) in about 5 years. Not all of them are going to be good.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

DBL post.
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    While the TF line has it's detractors and advocates, you have to admit that their advertising is cause enough for some to be disenchanted by the whole line. Just google "Tom Ford ad", and you'll see what I mean (NSFW at all). Other than that, I find the line to be similar to other house lines; with the exception that Tom Ford has released a plethora of scents (20 something) in about 5 years. Not all of them are going to be good.
    - Rich
    I'm a pretty conservative guy and they surprisingly don't bother me. They were a memorable wow at first but it has worn off.

It's generally accepted that Ford hit a big home run with Tobacco Vanille; lots of people like Grey Vetiver; and it seems many of his other fragrances are well liked on basenotes. I can't see why anyone would think his fragrances are unfairly dismissed.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I guess I mean lots of people like a lot of pretty shitty fragrances.

Look at what's popular -- most of it is pretty crappy. I guess it's just me, but I assumed that these would be crap because so many people like them. My experience tells me that most people have lousy taste. Hence the popularity of ___________(fill in the blank with the most popular generic crap of the day).

This, of course, is true of not just fragrances but music, movies, books, etc. Many times, popular stuff sucks. So, I was surprised to find that I liked this. It's popular but not bad.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

The guy is a baller. Love his brand, optics and fragrances.

If there's any unfair dismissing, I think it has to do with the fact that he released so many of the Private Blends at once. It's like when a musician releases a record with 15 songs. Inevitably the critics say they should have cut out the weak tracks. But they always disagree on what the weak tracks are. I've noticed something similar with online discussion of the Private Blends. FWIW, my favorites are the discontinued ones: Purple Patchouli and Moss Breches.

"Are Tom Ford fragrances sometimes unfairly praised?" might be a better question.

Black Orchid is the best smelling womens frag I have ever smelled. TV is great and so is GV I gotta say from what I smelled from Tom Ford fragrances they have been great.

I don't think so, if anything I think they get hyped up a bit - certainly some, anyway.

I have yet to try one I would pay for - I have seriously tried the ones that sound interesting from the reviews / notes etc. and my take on the line (this is a purely subjective general comment) is that it is very commercial, basically front loaded (some of the openings are beautiful) and then pretty one dimensional and linear. That's cool - straightforward, easy to deal with, no surprises etc. but I find them a bit boring and flat.

Is that unfair? Dunno. Am I a 'certain kind of basenoter'? Dunno. Tried 'em, just not my thing.

Tom Ford's frags can be likened to a color palette that introduces no new colors; it just happens to be more vivid and bold.

I used to view the linearity of his PBs as a lack of "proper development". My view now is that his personal blends smell great from start to finish. IMHO he does have the best top notes in the business, and Noir de Noir is stunningly breathtakingly beautiful.

Fair to say there's more love than hate for Tom Ford frags here...
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

I think Tuscan leather gets unfairly dismissed going by some recent reviews. Unlike a lot of leathers it actually does smell like leather and the combination of the raspberry accord helps give a good contrast to the fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancôme

I love all my Tom Fords... My only gripe is that Grey Vetiver and Oud Wood don't last as long as I'd like and compared to my others, Neroli Portofino, Italian Cypress and Tobacco Vanille... I've yet to try others from TF, but plan on doing so in the New Year.

I don't feel they are dismissed. From what I see, they get a lot of love around here.
    LOST! in scent and music

I remember when I first started sampling Tom Ford. I thought before hand that I would like many of his fragrances based on reviews and comments on Basenotes. I found that there were less than have a dozen that I felt were really purchase worthy for myself. The remainder of his collection styles were already filled by other fragrances on the market and were variations on other themes. I personally ended up with four.
    - Expect the unexpected

Pretty much like other houses, some I like and some I don't like as much. There are certainly some gems in the line outside of the more worn ones. I really like Champaca Absolute.

Any dislike I have for Mr Ford is purely based on the fact that he is better looking than me! (By several multiples).
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.