Code of Conduct

Default Excitement...Excitement...Anti-climax

I'm sure we've all bought into the hype of certain fragrances that has left us salivating to sample.

Which fragrance have you been itching to test out like no other, only for it to let you down on sampling, leaving you confused as to why you feel like a 6 year old on Christmas morning, only to find a lump of coal in your stocking.

Whilst I do like the drydown, I was left feeling underwhelmed when I managed to test New Haarlem. I had bought the hype, and couldn't wait to sample the gourmand coffee goodnness.

I was left feeling a bit sickly, but that said, I will test again as I may have just been having an off day.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Default Re: Excitement...Excitement...Anti-climax

waste of time, it's glorified cotton candy.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Yeah I got cotton candy too. It just wasn't worthy of the mantle on which i'd placed it.

Any similar feelings as to being let down by a fragrance after months of excitement?

I have to admit, I had built up the A*Men Chilli in my head, only to have been left feeling impartial - Perhaps I need to just go in blind and sample without any preconceptions of a fragrance.

New Haarlem is alright, just have to be in the right mood for it I suppose. My biggest 'meh' sample so far has to be Bois d'Iris by The Diff.Co. - just totally underwhelmed me with that buttery darkness. Then again I got it for free so can't complain eh.

Green Irish Tweed. It's the worst F***ing fragrance ever made! Just kidding!

I'd say Victoria's Secret Very Sexy for Him. I bought it blind and although it smells good, the longevity and projection is laughable.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by tyler-durden View Post
    I was left feeling underwhelmed when I managed to test New Haarlem.
    Have felt the same way for nearly all the Bonds I've tried.

Any similar feelings as to being let down by a fragrance after months of excitement?
    nope, I don't get sucked in by the hype machine. I'm well aware many here are living with a broken snot box.

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    nope, I don't get sucked in by the hype machine. I'm well aware many here are living with a broken snot box.
    Haha touche.

Well I wouldn't say sucked in but was excited to try PureDistance M.

I'd add two letters to it's name to properly describe it. E and H. It's just Meh or mediocre.
    I was expecting to smell something new , u ique and complex ,which it was but not enough.

I'm almost avoiding Invasion Barbare in fearing of also getting disappointed . Sometimes 2 birds in the bush are better than one in hand.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm almost avoiding Invasion Barbare in fearing of also getting disappointed . Sometimes 2 birds in the bush are better than one in hand.
    According to my tracking numbers I'm getting my Rose 31 and Dipty Vet tomorrow, inside are Invasion B and many other samples I'm excited to try. I'll let you know the truth about it

╔════════════╗
    ╚════════════╝

I would say:

- Dior Homme Intense
    - Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Invasion Barbare wont let you down....great stuff.

Banned

The One by Dolce & Gabbana ... I was expecting a powerhouse by the notes and hype, but it ended up being a real light fragrance, with little to no projection ...

I had the same reaction with New Haarlem which I found was like thick maple syrup been poured onto my skin with a teaspoon of coffee sprinkled on top. It was cloying and sickly but it made me realise how much I liked Rochas Man which is similar and lighter without the thick maple syrup feeling.

Idole de Lubin. Probably the first fragrance where I really became conscious of the art of writing copy. It was hyped to the extreme and when it arrived, was rather unimpressed. "Tis but a fragrance... and not even a great one at that, despite the bottle". Sold it within a month.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Idole de Lubin. Probably the first fragrance where I really became conscious of the art of writing copy. It was hyped to the extreme and when it arrived, was rather unimpressed. "Tis but a fragrance... and not even a great one at that, despite the bottle". Sold it within a month.
    yeah would say the same bout my Idole sample as well, sadly.

Tuscan Leather

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have experienced this, all too recently, with Zino, but not because it was too sweet, quite the opposite.

Musc Ravageur - Like the drydown, but the opening just doesnt work for me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I had the same reaction with New Haarlem which I found was like thick maple syrup been poured onto my skin with a teaspoon of coffee sprinkled on top. It was cloying and sickly but it made me realise how much I liked Rochas Man which is similar and lighter without the thick maple syrup feeling.
    My experience exactly, I almost found it sickly sweet, I couldn't even wear Rochas for a bit after smelling NH.

Essenza Di Zegna was one of the recent letdowns for me.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I'm almost avoiding Invasion Barbare in fearing of also getting disappointed .
    This one was a MAJOR let down for me. Clean, polite, subtle, and perfect. Also perfectly boring. Like a beautiful girl with the personality of a paper cup.

Other on the list would be so far:
    DKNY - Delicious Night
    Dior - Dior Homme Intense Though not a bad scent.
    Frapin - Caravelle Epicee In no way unpleasant, but it didn't eclipse my other favorites from the house like I was told it would.
    Vero Profumo - onda EDP This one I had heard complete accolades for, so I was EXTREMELY surprised and excited to get it unexpectedly in a sample pack from an Italian brick and mortal store, but on application was difficult to get my head around. This one and kiki both had this sort of "urine-ish" vibe to them that was a bit offsetting (possibly the passionfruit's contribution?). It was the middle of summer at the time though. Maybe I'd prefer the extrait, or to just wear it in colder weather.
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 Another good but sort of "whatever" kind of scent for me. I like it enough to keep it, but not enough to ever hype it.
    Amouage - Reflection Man Blaughhhh. I honestly can't believe the same house that gave us Jubilation XXV also released this mess.
    BNTBTBB - Breath Of God This one actually made my head hurt.
    Last edited by Partario; 10th November 2011 at 02:29 PM.

Sound Scents

Funny you should mention Invasion Barbare, Saif... That is the one I have been disappointed in after being super-excited before trying it based on the hype. I love the bottle, and certainly do not *dislike* the scent, but I am in no way on the "Barbare bandwagon." It was just OK to my nose, and way overpriced to boot, IMO. No offense intended to those that love it, but I just felt majorly let down after really thinking I was going to love it.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Rochas Globe. Nice enough, but I did find it fairly weak, and whilst I kinda enjoyed its interesting vegetable smell, I couldn't imagine it dropping any panties ever. Would be fine if it was cheaper. It was not a keeper for me.

Narciso Rodriguez Musc Collection. I enjoy it quite a bit but it does stay ever so close to the skin. And it's an EDP. I feel this kind of smell needs to project more and the whole experience leaves me a little underwhelmed so far.

Back to Black, it smells like 1Million to me
    Also many of the niche offerings smell either stink or not original to my nose

Kurkdijan Absolue pour le soir.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have felt the same way for nearly all the Bonds I've tried.
    That's been my experience as well. I've tried and tried and tried to find a Bond that I liked, to no avail.

@drseid Wow I think you are the first one to say you weren't impressed by Invasion Barbare, that stuff is just amazing.

One full wearing and I can't see how anyone would dislike it, it has just the right amounts of .... everything I think. I think it's still the best bottle in my entire collection right now, just amazing stuff.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

The two that really stick out in my mind are Back to Black and Allure Homme edition Blanche. Very disappointed in non existent longevity and these are only skin scents for me after the first half hour.

Dior Homme Intense- The iris just killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    The two that really stick out in my mind are Back to Black and Allure Homme edition Blanche. Very disappointed in non existent longevity and these are only skin scents for me after the first half hour.
    That's odd. I get solid longevity with Back to Black. Stayed in my jacket for weeks.

Divine L'Homme Sage. I just found it so WEAK. It died on my skin, but I did like the smell.

Royal Oud, Wood Spice and Windsor. All three I had high hopes for and none of them were anything I wanted to spend money on. Creed has a few really awesome scents, and the rest just don't do it for me.

This happens to me a fair amount. One memorable example is Amouage Dia Man. For me personally, it's just a clean, boy-next-door type of fragrance. Not bad, but just nothing new to my nose.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Any fragrance with the word black in the title. (Or noir, dark, etc.)

Any fragrance with the word musk in the title. (Any spelling.)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Divine L'Homme Sage. I just found it so WEAK. It died on my skin, but I did like the smell.
    Really? Gosh, I could clear a room with a couple of sprays and find it pretty potent on the skin as well.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Quiptos View Post
    @drseid Wow I think you are the first one to say you weren't impressed by Invasion Barbare.
    Actually, Partario beat me to it. ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I won't list them all because there is quite a few. I'd say if I order 10 hyped up samples, I'll only find about 3 bottle worthy.

Bond New Harlem. It smelled like celery mixed with coffee. Not a bad combination but not so great either.

Perhaps I need to just go in blind and sample without any preconceptions of a fragrance.
    always best

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Actually, Partario beat me to it. ;-)
    And volley2 beat both of us before: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/286...t=#post2320533

So far that makes three of us, but it appears we're the only three so far.

This actually happened to me today. Samples of chergui and ambre sultan, to say they disappointed me is an understatement. Maybe I'll have a change of heart but I usually don't. Been more intrigued by the £2 vetiver oil I got recently than these samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post

Essenza Di Zegna was one of the recent letdowns for me.

@Neil4Speed I'm sorry to hear that! I can't help but feel partially responsible!

@ the OP Musc Ravageur was a major disappointment (glad I actually sampled that one)

And for those of you who were let down by Invasion Barbare, did you give it a good full wearing? Spray the chest, etc? Sorry, I'm on the IB bandwagon and can't imagine anyone disliking it or not loving it. It's my favorite all time!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

And for those of you who were let down by Invasion Barbare, did you give it a good full wearing? Spray the chest, etc? Sorry, I'm on the IB bandwagon and can't imagine anyone disliking it or not loving it. It's my favorite all time!
    Tried it several times with the same disappointing results. To me, it smelled too much like freshly laundered clothes, or even a bit like laundry detergent. I would not say I "disliked" it, rather I was indifferent to it, and as such was let down after all the hype.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Yeah, I gave it a full wearing, plus I have a bunch of it on a bandanna that's been able to hold the scent for about a month, so I'll catch whiffs of it every now and them if I'm wearing it. It's not that I found anything unpleasant about it. To me it was just a good fougere and nothing else. I tried really hard to see what was so incredible about it, but in the end it just was polite, clean, and uninteresting to my nose. High quality ingredients, very well made, lacking character.

It's possible I just don't like fougeres though, as 1725 Casanova and A Taste Of Heaven really didn't do it for me either (though I do like English Fern).
    Last edited by Partario; 11th November 2011 at 12:38 AM.

AromiErotici

My anti climax came today while sample-reviewing Black Afgano. I expected "good".....and I got that. What I didn't expect was a fragrance that smelled like a closely related flanker of Champagne de Bois by Sonoma Scent Studio. If a dash of incense wad added to Laurie Erickson's creation, you'd have the Nasomatto.

It also doesn't smell like hash.......but that's okay by me. I had my fill years ago........

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    It also doesn't smell like hash.......but that's okay by me. I had my fill years ago........
    You didn't think so? I've never smoked the stuff myself, but growing up in Southern California I was exposed to it quite a bit. It doesn't smell like the dirt weed stuff that most of the kids were smoking, but I had one friend who was all bananas for ganja and would always have new kinds of expensive stuff he would get that was grown by "some dude with foreign seeds in the mountains that talks to his plants" or whatever.

I remember once he had this purple stuff that he said was like the most expensive and high quality stuff he'd ever smoked, and that didn't smell a thing like what I'd smelled the other kids smoking. I smelled it out of the bag, and it smelled very aromatic and sweet, somewhat similar to Black Afgano IMO.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    You didn't think so? I've never smoked the stuff myself, but growing up in Southern California I was exposed to it quite a bit. It doesn't smell like the dirt weed stuff that most of the kids were smoking, but I had one friend who was all bananas for ganja and would always have new kinds of expensive stuff he would get that was grown by "some dude with foreign seeds in the mountains that talks to his plants" or whatever.

I remember once he had this purple stuff that he said was like the most expensive and high quality stuff he'd ever smoked, and that didn't smell a thing like what I'd smelled the other kids smoking. I smelled it out of the bag, and it smelled very aromatic and sweet, somewhat similar to Black Afgano IMO.
    It truly doesn't smell like it. Not proud of it, but I smoked tons of it in the 70's.

Black Afgano is a great smelling fragrance, but it's way too close to CdB for me to ever own it since I have the Sonoma.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Black Afgano is a great smelling fragrance, but it's way too close to CdB for me to ever own it since I have the Sonoma.
    I'll have to check that one out, as it's been impossible to find Black Afgano for a reasonable price lately, as I don't think it's worth $400 dollars.

Dependent

I got disappointed when I first started reading about fragrances and thinking I might like them. (Before that I simply strongly disliked virtually everything I smelled at the store. Still do.) After a few experiences disliking or even hating some fragrances others loved, I left all my expectations behind and began smelling with a clear head. The fact is, I simply don't like that many fragrances at all, and most I like I don't like enough to want to own or wear. However, the ones I do like or even love . . . wonderful! Definitely worth all the wasted time culling through crap that is terrible or just completely wrong for me.

My biggest disappointments have been 3 of the most loved fragrances on the MFD, this is what I got when I tried them:

C & S No 88: Gothic, the olfactory representation of a funeral...
    LAdDM: Turpentine opening followed by a dry incense & amber, meh...
    Guerlain Vetiver: Kept waiting for a punchline, I must have missed it...

My nose must be irrepairably broken.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

TF, Tobacco Vanille, totally unimpressed.
    Almost all of the Parfumerie Generale line
    Malle, Geranium pour Monsieur, Malle is among my very favorite house but I don t wanna smell like a dentist room
    Czech and Speake, Cuba
    Guerlain, Spiritueuse D Vanille. Got bored of my decant after 2 wearings.

Was expecting big things from all of them. Did not happen.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

I walked into a store in Vancouver that specializes in purchasing end-of-line stock and tested Quorum. I liked it, but didn't buy it. However, soon after I saw it online dirt cheap, and pounced. I thought I was so clever. . . until I wore it. The scent was somehow flat, and the whole thing was a skin scent within the hour. It turns out I sampled the vintage but bought the new.

@Neil4Speed I'm sorry to hear that! I can't help but feel partially responsible!
    No no! Not at all, I was planning on blind buying it and I got a discount purchasing it from you vs a store., just very different from what I expected. I expected it to tread the ADG Dolce Light blue line a little bit closer, to me I have others that do the job better. You were an excellent seller, amazingly fast shipping, well packed.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

my biggest disappointments were...

Musc Ravageur (total anti-climax! lol )
    Montel Black Oud (what are people thinking? this stuff is paint stripper! )
    Back to Black was a bit of a major let down as well

Musc Ravageur, Green Irish Tweed, and Millesime Imperial come to mind.

I would say Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal.

Nearing disappointment level would be Chanel Sycomore (it's not bad, but it's not great either).

Yatagan. Too Masculine for me.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    No no! Not at all, I was planning on blind buying it and I got a discount purchasing it from you vs a store., just very different from what I expected. I expected it to tread the ADG Dolce Light blue line a little bit closer, to me I have others that do the job better. You were an excellent seller, amazingly fast shipping, well packed.
    Thanks, Neil.

I had the same reaction when I got Essenza. I was expecting something very aquatic but it's more of a green, fresh cut grass type of fragrance. If you're still looking for that elusive aquatic you may want to look at L'Eau D'Issey Summer Edition 2009. It has, IMO, one of the best aquatic structures I've encountered--very watery, with a light floral and citrus aspect. I do not like the regular Issey Miyake either. But the summer edition is fantastic. PM me if you want a sample of it!

I really like aquatics when they're done well, and the next one I plan on testing (for next summer) is D&G's Light Blue female version, as I've heard it's more of a unisex scent and is one of the best aquatics on the market. I wasn't crazy about Light Blue for men.

The Classic Fahrenheit. I just don't get it. I wanted to like it and I can't say I love, like or hate it. I just don't think it is either attractive or repulsive, it is just there. Meh! Why do people like this one?

And M7 original which is a brilliant perfume did not sell in the US and is not available here, was reformulated and now repackaged (and maybe reformulated again) with a higher price and still not sold in the US. Proof positive that the general American public does not know a great scent when they are smacked in the face with it.

Further proof of the general public's lack of taste is the popularity of Le Male and Acqua di Geo.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!