Code of Conduct

Default DE razor blade differences

Folks, I need your opinion on what kind of differences there are with DE blades. Do they differ much in terms of thickness, sharpness etc? Which manufacturers do you use? Thanks!

Default Re: DE razor blade differences

The short answer is 'yes' - they do differ quite a bit.
    Which blade will work for you will depend on the coarseness of your facial hair, your razor, your preferred shaving style, the sensitivity of your skin etc.

Personally, I use Derby blades. Feather blades are probably the sharpest I've come across.
    As with perfume, the best advice I can offer is sample, sample, sample. You can buy mixed packs of blades from various online retailers. Try a few different brands out before buying a big carton. Then pop back and let us know how you got on

Yes, they differ quite a it. One mans pleasure blade can be torture for another.

My two favorites are the Feather from Japan, and the Astra from Russia. Derby is a very forgiving blade and a good one to start with. It you're just starting to shave with a DE, you should try to get a sample pack with different blades. I know where to get in US, but not in Finland.

You do not want to start with a Feather. It is generally considered the sharpest and can rip you up if you don't have the DE technique developed. Cartridge razors are way more forgiving to use, and it's almost difficult to cut yourself with them. Not so with DE.

Yes, they differ quite a it. One mans pleasure blade can be torture for another.

My two favorites are the Feather from Japan, and the Astra from Russia. Derby is a very forgiving blade and a good one to start with. It you're just starting to shave with a DE, you should try to get a sample pack with different blades. I know where to get in US, but not in Finland.

You do not want to start with a Feather. It is generally considered the sharpest and can rip you up if you don't have the DE technique developed. Cartridge razors are way more forgiving to use, and it's almost difficult to cut yourself with them. Not so with DE.

OK, I was wondering why one shouldn´t use the sharpest blade available... I currently have only used Wilkinsons and will try Derbys next.

^ Unless / until you have developed a good technique, using a very sharp blade like a Feather will likely result in you cutting your face to shreds. As StylinLA said, blades like Derby are more forgiving.

There's also a large element of personal preference involved. If you have very coarse facial hair, for example, you may find that a Feather blade will only last a couple of shaves before the edge becomes dull and jagged and needs replacing. A less sharp blade, by contrast, may (paradoxically) last longer.

One also needs to consider the razor being used: Some give a very 'aggressive' shave, some less so. The combination of an aggressive razor and a very sharp blade may be too much (or may be just perfect).

The number of variables can seem daunting at first, but it is all part of the fun. Take your time, develop a good technique, and experiment with changing one factor (e.g. blade brand / soap or cream brand / face-lathering or bowl-lathering) at a time.

Vhild, if you've been using a cartridge and are switching to DE, there's a bit of a learning curve. Really, really focus on you strokes and go very slowly at first. Cartridges are very safe to use. DE blades can cause cuts and little nicks if used in the same manner.

I used Derby blades about two months and tried a Feather. I ended up with lots of little nicks and "weepers" (small bleeding spots).
    Are about a year, I found I could use a Feather with no problem. But they can be more irritating to face.

You have to learn to finesse the angles differently with a DE. Go slow at first, like you're diffusing a bomb. It will get quicker in time, but DE is never as quick as cartridge. It is more enjoyable IMO.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I´m advancing slowly, I only wish I could shave several times per day for practice....