Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro PH (old formulation) vs Azzaro PH (new formulation)

What are the differences in smell, longevity, sillage?

Are those differences highly noticeable?

I own a full bottle of the current version (and love it). It's has such a complex, dense/thick aroma and its soft too.

Is it worth it to buy a bottle of the older formulation?

Lastly .....what are some other fragrances (that came later) that are a definite nod to this classic in terms of scent (obviously) and overall quality?
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 10th November 2011 at 07:52 PM.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

Default Re: Azzaro PH (old formulation) vs Azzaro PH (new formulation)

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    I own a full bottle of the current version (and love it).

Is it worth it to buy a bottle of the older formulation?
    Only you can judge whether it's worth it or not. I have the original release in my collection and like it quite a bit. My nose couldn't detect any significant difference in the versions.

Banned

the vintage formulation, a powerhouse, had better sillage and longevity ...

Old is better, new is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Old is better, new is fine.
    +1

The older version has a more aromatic, richer base. That might be due to the availibility of higher quality ambergris and oakmoss back then.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    +1

The older version has a more aromatic, richer base. That might be due to the availibility of higher quality ambergris and oakmoss back then.
    I agree!
    I have both and just did again a side by side comparison and the vintage one has a way better and richer opening (top notes). This works on in the heart and base which leads to better sillage and longevity.
    The first 1.5 hour this difference is most significant, after that they are about the same but the vintage just lasts a little longer.

New one is still perfect, just spray a little more!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Thanks everyone.

I have one more question.....are you comfortable wearing this in public immediately after applying it? I read so many comments about not going in public for the first hour with this. Are the top notes really that offensive to people?
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do." J.G.

IMO there are three different & distinct formulations of Azzaro, the original vintage with the oval cap with silver & black sticker, then as I like to call it, the mid vintage with the more familiar cap with silver & black sticker and last but not least the current formulation with the embossed bottle. The original version is much stronger & heavier/thicker in the top notes, the mid vintage is a little lighter & fresher than the original at the top and the current version's top notes are even lighter......all three a distinctly Azzaro pour homme in the dry down which is where it counts. Also, I don't believe this has been mentioned before, but those who are complaing of longevity problems with the current formulation should look at the atomizer which differs from the prior formulations, the portion within the bottle is much thinner and sprays with more of a lighter mist, the older version is more a heavier stream when sprayed.

Hey, jclaxton, you´ve declared the vintage hunt open haven´t you?
    The vintage PH (smaller cap) is much deeper, denser, longer lasting,....
    Try to fetch one; it´s worth it! Good luck!

Worth Pour Homme Haute Concentration is one you should get, since it's selling for next to nothing on ebay now.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    Lastly .....what are some other fragrances (that came later) that are a definite nod to this classic in terms of scent (obviously) and overall quality?

To those who have the boxes of older Azzaro pH formulations, could you list the stated ingredients and maybe the year it was sold? I have the current version and there's no Oakmoss (Evernia prunastri) on it.

2012 Ingredients: Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin, Citral, Eugenol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Cinnamal, Butyl-Phenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hidroxycitronellal, Benzyl Benzoate, Anise Alcohol (C0780F)

I have the current version. Love the scent, but longevity seems slightly suspect for a "powerhouse." I will keep working with it, maybe spray a little more as Slayerized suggested, and see how it goes.

IMHO, it is a weaker blend than it used to be in terms of sillage and longevity.

Frankly, I don't know if it is because of reformultation or if it is because it has been "updated" - namely, a former powerhouse for youngsters hitting the discos that nowadays are respectable pater familiae. As a matter of fact, there is a flanker that is supposedly a lighter version, which, to my nose, smells closer to what I remember it used to be...

I've had both versions and found the original to be better in terms of naturalness and potency, though not to an outrageous degree (with Acteur, on the other hand, naturalness was shown the door). The thing about even the original version is that it comes across as what I perceive to be an "amateur effort," which one also finds in Paul Sebastian Fine Cologne. What I mean is that there is one huge central accord that doesn't let up for a long time, and after a while it gets irritating. There are several other fougeres that feature strong anise, perhaps the best of the bunch (that I've tried), technically-speaking, being IL by Lancetti. Rive Gauche Pour Homme is quite nice at first but that aspect of it doesn't last long enough for me, especially considering the mediocre drydown. My favorite right now is Grigioperla, but that one is very nicely balanced and would seem to subvert the idea behind APH. If you are seeking a balanced scent, no version of APH may be for you. Don't think that if you don't like APH that anisic fougeres are not for you !
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st January 2013 at 11:47 PM.

Basenotes Member

I only smelled the original on a mouillette (last Esxence, courtesy of L'Osmotheque) and found it much more potent, in a "'70s moustachioed macho" kind of way - nothing wrong with it of course, since the same felling is very present in the current formulation (which I own and regularly wear). I don't know if I'd choose the vintage, though, unless I found a very good deal - I believe sometimes less is actually more.
    As for possible alternatives, YSL Rive Gauche PH is definitely playing at the same game and possibily in the same ballpark, but it's definitely more civilized and "clean", something you'd wear to a bankers' meeting rather than a police station (ApH is definitely Sam Tyler's cologne - while Gene Hunt clearly wears Aramis).

What kind of longevity are you guys getting on current formulation?

Older versions list only alcohol, fragrance, and water as ingredients.

I have the newest version and really like it. I haven't smelled the original for years but I never liked it when I was younger. I think this is one that I "grew into" over the years since it is a mature masculine for sure.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

I am not sure I can even tell the difference. I wore the new version last night to a party and received a fabulous comment on it.

The vintage is fuller and more balanced. I'm considering getting a backup of the vintage.

They smell pretty much the same, but the old lasts longer. That's ok; just spray more! It's cheap enough!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Member

In my experience, longevity for the current version ranges between 5 and 8 hours, depending on weather - this is with a couple sprays on the chest, under the shirt, a spray on each wrist and a spray on the nape. After that, I only get the faintest whiff of the base notes.

I found a vintage bottle of APH in an old wardrobe. This was from an a great person passed away in 1999. It's hard to wear a fragance that was intended for a much better person than you...

But it is better to use it than to let it perish; I´ll do my best, blocks behind...

Well, It is clear to me, not an expert, than the vintage formulation is milder and balanced and the current one is more pretentious and drier. The vintage is softer, lavender driven. The current is, as said, drier, with more anisic vibe. The older is better. The marketing, second order quality, was also better in the older version. Also the bottle, and so on...

Try RGPH in older (tin can) version, and the cheap but very pleasant Quorum!

Someone once made a not-so-pleasant comment on Azzaro, and then complimented me on the vintage. They are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    Someone once made a not-so-pleasant comment on Azzaro, and then complimented me on the vintage. They are quite different.
    That's possible, especially beyond the top notes. I don't really like it and never did a side by side comparison. Now I only have the vintage because I swapped the new version away. Next time I wear it I'll try to avoid as much of the top notes as possible and see what I think at that point.

I received the new formulation as a Valentine's Day gift (the one with Enrique plastered all over the box.)

After a side-by-side comparison, I conclude (after 3 or 4 hours on opposite wrists) that the new version has somehow been sweetened up a bit, has less anise, and is considerably shorter on sillage than the original. Though, the longevity is comparable.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I tried the new one today. I would say it is faint, pale or bright compared to the original. I think it may work fine for a summer scent. It will stay close to skin after few minutes. Looks like most musk and oakmoss were removed. If i buy azzaro i think i will have to apply more heavily or opt for a splash version. That's it. I am a little bit frustrated for the castration. For me, this is now a L'eau... if the l'eau version is even more watered down, ohh boy!

Azzaro Pour Homme
    w/ Evernia Prunastri (Oakmoss) Extract,
    Evernia Furfuracea (Treemoss) Extract.

Bought a back up of my favourite growing up. It's (the prior to current formulation) with oakmoss and treemoss, with white label (like silver original), including a cheap pinched nozzle.

It's better than the current without oakmoss, but the anise alcohol is weak compared to the embossed version from mid 2000. Opens a little jumbled with the synthetic effect, projection and longevity a little weaker. The sillage on the current white labelled bottle, takes effect for 3,5 to 4 hours (30min opening), while the embossed one lasted at least 5 to 6 (1hr opening). For example, the original formulation in the 90's lasted 8 to 10, with the top notes easing on the 2 hr mark.

The positive of this formulation though is that it's much easier to wear, less inspired by Studio 54', and more like Woodstock 99'. I remember killing people with this beast in high school in close quarters, and now I won't have to fear a similar situation. Much more of an elegant yuppie, than the obnoxious macho I used to know.

Meanwhile, I wish Andrè would include this one in an upcoming investigation. I would love to get the formulation timeline on this classic. *Hint hint*
    Last edited by Arij; 22nd February 2014 at 01:49 AM.

They are both fine and a great fragrance I wouldnt worry about it.

So, where does the bottle with the white screenprinted "A" fit in these????

Quote Originally Posted by JT3D View Post
    IMO there are three different & distinct formulations of Azzaro, the original vintage with the oval cap with silver & black sticker, then as I like to call it, the mid vintage with the more familiar cap with silver & black sticker and last but not least the current formulation with the embossed bottle. The original version is much stronger & heavier/thicker in the top notes, the mid vintage is a little lighter & fresher than the original at the top and the current version's top notes are even lighter......all three a distinctly Azzaro pour homme in the dry down which is where it counts. Also, I don't believe this has been mentioned before, but those who are complaing of longevity problems with the current formulation should look at the atomizer which differs from the prior formulations, the portion within the bottle is much thinner and sprays with more of a lighter mist, the older version is more a heavier stream when sprayed.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I only tried the 2012-2013 formulation, It opens really strong lavender-citrus, after 5 minutes the intense smell is gone and becomes a regular skin scent :P

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    To those who have the boxes of older Azzaro pH formulations, could you list the stated ingredients and maybe the year it was sold? I have the current version and there's no Oakmoss (Evernia prunastri) on it.

2012 Ingredients: Alcohol, Parfum/Fragrance, Limonene, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Citronellol, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin, Citral, Eugenol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Cinnamal, Butyl-Phenyl Methylpropional, Benzyl Salicylate, Hidroxycitronellal, Benzyl Benzoate, Anise Alcohol (C0780F)
    I have this.

Embossed glass. No sticker.

Has both oak moss and tree moss in the ingredients list.

Serial number is 504174. Checkcosmetic says April 2005 but not sure if accurate.

It's a tester.

How close does this smell to the vintage Azzaro?

This is pretty strong.

Funny story, First time i got this 2 years back, I used 3 sprays of this, and 3 hours later, went to a college registrar's office.

It was mid day, very hot and humid. Airconditioning was very weak.

I was queuing for some payments, and some funny kid yells " who took a shit and didnt wash his ass? Bruno?" (Bruno means a macho man)

another guy i overheard say "smells like a duty free shop in here."

That taught me to use only 1 to 1.5 sprays of this one.
    Last edited by Bulakenyo; 22nd February 2014 at 03:01 PM.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    So, where does the bottle with the white screenprinted "A" fit in these????
    Following JT3D's three different & distinct formulations of Azzaro...

1) The original vintage with the oval cap with silver & black logo (Excellent)
    2) The mid vintage with square cap with silver & black logo (Excellent)
    3) The formulation with the embossed bottle (Very Good)
    4) The white & black logo with oakmoss (Good)
    5) The current white & black logo without oakmoss (Poor)
    Last edited by Arij; 22nd February 2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post

So, the most current release has reverted to the black and white stickers? But is now the weakest version?
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Azzaro large.JPG

The best version.

Tried most formulations of this fragrance on skin and on paper- albeit my nose may be quite untrained- did not notice much of a difference.

From what I can understand here, the versions with the silver & black sticker,,,, the white screenprinted logo,,,, and the embossed "A" are all good versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulakenyo View Post
    So, the most current release has reverted to the black and white stickers? But is now the weakest version?
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

I agree that the whole white sticker as only current, or a revival of a vintage formulation, is a little convoluted.

It could be that some are mistaking a white label for the silver one? There are definitely holes in the timeline, which is one of the reasons I believe that our own "raider of the lost scent" should take this long time favourite under investigation.

I have every version of this frag that I know of, including the rare Intense version, which is hard to find and often way overpriced. I believe I also have somewhere an Intense version of the aftershave, although I am not 100% sure. I have been unable to get info from the co. as when the Intense version was released. It is however my favorite of all.

To me the vintage Intense version is by far the best as well! (I got 8x 7ml mini's decanted)
    Compared to that one even the Silver/Black sticker pre-current formula is like a very light version of Azzaro pour homme and current version is like water (I did side by sides) as well on projection as longevity!
    1 drop lasts already 6 hrs!

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    To me the vintage Intense version is by far the best as well! (I got 8x 7ml mini's decanted)
    Compared to that one even the Silver/Black sticker pre-current formula is like a very light version of Azzaro pour homme and current version is like water (I did side by sides) as well on projection as longevity!
    1 drop lasts already 6 hrs!
    How would you rank the embossed bottle version of ApH? In terms of overall performance?
    If vintage ApH Intense is 10.0, and the 2013 version without oakmoss is 5.0?

I quite like the version I have now. I've learned to treat this scent like a tamer Kouros and Aramis (I have vintage of both) and apply it pretty much the same way I do those 2.

1 spray to the chest, at almost arm's length.

It works great that way, for me.
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

Is the 2013 version any different from the other embossed version? I mean the embossed is already on the market for years and not as of 2013.
    I don't know what version you actually mean.........

To me if you set the vintage Intense (there is also a current Intense!) as 10, then the white/black stickered is an 8.0 and current embossed 6.0
    (I never smelled real old vintage normal Azzaro ph though of which I heard is close to the vintage Intense!)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Is the 2013 version any different from the other embossed version? I mean the embossed is already on the market for years and not as of 2013.
    I don't know what version you actually mean.........

To me if you set the vintage Intense (there is also a current Intense!) as 10, then the white/black stickered is an 8.0 and current embossed 6.0
    (I never smelled real old vintage normal Azzaro ph though of which I heard is close to the vintage Intense!)

The newest version (not sure if embossed of stickered) has no more oakmoss and I think treemoss on the ingreedients list (read post number 11 here by Luca)

and the one I have, an embossed version from 2005 still has oakmoss and treemoss on the ingredients list (post number 32)
    LOWBROW TO THE CORE

I have a bottle of intense version but not the vintage , the one with embossed logo ; to me, it's very close to the vintage bottle I have (with the oval cap).I can understand that the vintage intense is the best one. How to identify vintage intense ? I thought that intense was launched in the begining of the 90's ; is that correct ?

I have two 1 oz. splash bottles of vintage Intense. They look exactly like the one pictured in this thread:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...Flanker-Thread

Just to take a whiff from the bottle is heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Avecesar View Post
    How to identify vintage intense ?
    current:

vintage:

easyfish, I have never even seen a bottle of the current Intense. Would I be wrong in assuming that it's reformulated as well? Have you smelled it?

@Boge - I´ve never smelled the new one but it´s reformulated for sure...;-(
    You can ask your powerhouse fellow Slayerized, he seems to know both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arij View Post

The white logo: perhaps, that is what you meant my #3(?). I have a bottle or two and it smells very much like vintage. I just snapped some photos of an AS and the back of the box may be the clue. As always, there is some "carryover" in a conversion. On another note, there may be another way to discern and that is by looking at the bottom leg of the silver logo bar on the box. On vintage it goes all the way to the edge of the box. On later ones is does not quite reach the edge (as pictured below). On the newest it is shorter yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Boge; 25th February 2014 at 09:45 AM.

I'm only familiar with the embossed bottle version which I purchased a couple of years ago and I'm very happy with it.

Has anyone encountered the Collectors' Edition currently doing the rounds?

I've not seen the Intense version in its new packaging, anyone else?
    Is it still in production?
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by nfn1983 View Post
    I've not seen the Intense version in its new packaging, anyone else?
    Is it still in production?
    Azzaro pour homme intense is available in France.

If you check out my post #23 in this thread :

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...-and-Longevity

you can see the version I have. The one i have is 75ml splash, supposedly vintage, but it seems weaker than what I remember from my last bottle, which was way back in the late 80's early 90's. But it's possible my memory may not be correct.