Code of Conduct

Default Divine L'homme Sage

What's up guys? I don't see any discussion about this fragrance. Why so? I really love this one! Awesome gourmand! Deep, rich, & sedective! Seems to have a hint of leather in it. Sometimes I think I smell mint too. But mostly a sweet, satisfying sorta gingerbread-man smelling gourmand! Yumm!

C'mon L'homme Sage fans, let's honor this fragrance, and continue to keep it on the minds and mouths of our fellow basenoters!

Default Re: Divine L'homme Sage

A new favorite of mine. Spent all week wearing this and Puredistance M. They are somewhat similar.

I like it a lot.

I too enjoy this fragrance, however, I rarely find a situation to wear it. Like a few other of my fragrances, it only works on certain days during the Spring/Fall for me, but mostly spring. It's a little to cool to my nose for winter wear, and a little too warm for summer wear. The old "Goldie Locks" syndrome. When I do get a chance to wear it, I do receive quite the compliments though.
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

I've heard quite a bit about this Puredistance. I wonder if it's anywhere near as good as some say it is...

I own both and if you're going to make me choose, I would rather have Puredistance M. I like Divine L'homme Sage but love M.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I've heard quite a bit about this Puredistance. I wonder if it's anywhere near as good as some say it is...
    Yes... if you like L'homme Sage you'll probably love M.

I'm going to have to try L'homme Sage again, I have a couple big samples of it. I liked it the 1st few times I wore it, but then the intense and everlasting drydown started to get to me, it can be a bit much and also has a bit of a "synthetic" edge to it.

Quote Originally Posted by _R$_ View Post
    I too enjoy this fragrance, however, I rarely find a situation to wear it. Like a few other of my fragrances, it only works on certain days during the Spring/Fall for me, but mostly spring. It's a little to cool to my nose for winter wear, and a little too warm for summer wear. The old "Goldie Locks" syndrome. When I do get a chance to wear it, I do receive quite the compliments though.
    - Rich
    I bet you do recieve quite the compliments! It's a great fragrance. I'll say this though: to me, it easily seems more fall than spring. It's may be just a tad too heavy for spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaconneur View Post
    I own both and if you're going to make me choose, I would rather have Puredistance M. I like Divine L'homme Sage but love M.
    I'll soon get my nose on Pure. It's in my next batch of samples...

It depends Larwiz. I think it's better. As close as I've come in an 80-scent wardrobe to something I'd like to make a signature frag. It's rich and dense. It is crazy pricey and smells like it should be crazy pricey. I wouldn't call it it old school, but it's not all that contemporary either. Be clear it doesn't project much but has killer sillage for sure. More leather than Homme Sage which actually doesn't have any leather, but sort of smells like it.

I buy a crazy priced guilty pleasure scent about once a year. M was this years. Thing is I'll probably have to gift myself with another one for Christmas. This juice IS a cut above and it pisses me off that it's so pricey for a small amount. But that Roja dude knows his shyt.

I think if you like Homme Sage, you'd prolly like it. But it's not as versatile as HS.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 11th November 2011 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    Yes... if you like L'homme Sage you'll probably love M.

I'm going to have to try L'homme Sage again, I have a couple big samples of it. I liked it the 1st few times I wore it, but then the intense and everlasting drydown started to get to me, it can be a bit much and also has a bit of a "synthetic" edge to it.
    Well if you wanna rid yourself of those samples........ :-) But yeah, do try it again. I think it's all that. I wore it to church 2 weeks ago, and the first lady that hugged me told me how good I smelt. :-) I was like yeah, this IS indeed awesome! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It depends Larwiz. I think it's better. As close as I've come in an 80 scent wardrobe to something I'd like to make a signature frag. It's rich and dense. It is crazy pricey and smells like it should be crazy pricey. I wouldn't call it it old school, but it's not all that contemporary either. Be clear it doesn't project much but has killer sillage for sure. More leather than Homme Sage which actually doesn't have any leather, but sort of smells like it.

I buy a crazy priced guilty pleasure scent about once a year. M was this years. Thing is I'll probably have to gift myself with another one for Christmas. This juice IS a cut above.

I think if you like Homme Sage, you'd prolly like it. But it's not as versatile as HS.
    Truthfully, I don't care if Puredistance M was the best scent I had ever smelled. $200 for less than 20 mls is a NO. Not gonna happen! The most I spent on a fragrance was $225 for a 100 ml of Reflection. And because of that purchase, I said I would not purchase anymore fragrances until 2012. So I have been DESPERATELY waiting for the new year so I can get Sage. This will be my first purchase of the year, no doubt about it.

Truthfully, I don't care if Puredistance M was the best scent I had ever smelled. $200 for less than 20 mls is a NO. Not gonna happen! The most I spent on a fragrance was $225 for a 100 ml of Reflection. And because of that purchase, I said I would not purchase anymore fragrances until 2012. So I have been DESPERATELY waiting for the new year so I can get Sage. This will be my first purchase of the year, no doubt about it.
    Got it. I hope ya hate it then. You can get more mileage and just as much play out of HS if works well on you.

Oh StylinLa, do you too really smells leather in L'homme Sage? Cuz I swear I do! And I don't like leather frags at all, but this one seems to have a tinge of leather in it, but all the surrounding characters make it work.

It's so strong I only wear about .1 mL per application, so that helps the value factor. The samples at luckyscent are more than reasonably priced too. It really is so good that it is worth it.

Oh StylinLa, do you too really smells leather in L'homme Sage? Cuz I swear I do! And I don't like leather frags at all, but this one seems to have a tinge of leather in it, but all the surrounding characters make it work.
    Kind of. I am one to generally trust the listed notes and they don't show any leather. But it can sort of evoke leather for sure. This one just hit home with me. I can understand that some people don't like it. But the thing is with all these frags, sometimes we just find something that clicks well for us.

This one surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    It's so strong I only wear about .1 mL per application, so that helps the value factor. The samples at luckyscent are more than reasonably priced too. It really is so good that it is worth it.
    I don't know if I find it that strong. But DON'T do five sprays. YIKES! That was a bit much.

Still working out the dose on M.

I have come around to like this a lot. Don't own it yet but hope to one day.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I don't know if I find it that strong. But DON'T do five sprays. YIKES! That was a bit much.

Still working out the dose on M.
    Infrequently, I go up to .15-.2 mL, that is a pretty heavy dose though, you can almost feel it wafting around....

I have tried spraying and dabbing, both work ok but I usually dab a small amount on the sides and back of my neck... maybe add a spray on the chest if I want more. I can imagine 5 sprays would be intense!

I personally love L'Homme Sage but I don't get any gourmandic vibe out of it. IMO it strikes as a strong spicy (mainly cardamom and saffron) woody and incensey concoction with one of the most original accords available in modern perfumery. It get sweeter during the drydown due to a bold ambery base, but still not gourmandic IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My view of L'Homme Sage is identical with that of alfarom's. Very good one for cold months; Divine really struck gold with their first two scents labeled as masculine.

Posted this back in 2008... only thing to add is that it is quite leathery in texture. Since then I've eventually bought myself a bottle... but in the end swapped it for a bottle of LDDM. I'll make sure to revisit some time in the near future.

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. (lychee I say) We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." (a little more oomph would be great) Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed, but it could've been something more as well. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? The sleek 50ml spray is 79euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 120euro. Personally, I think the 150ml is definitely worth the price. Despite some shortcomings, I find it impossible to not give this a thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated.
    Definitely and undeservedly.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    Definitely and undeservedly.
    I agree with you gents. Also, L'Homme de couer is a great scent.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

I love it, but I can't say I've ever found it to be gourmand in the least, or particularly leathery for that matter. To echo alfarom, it's more of a spicy woody incense with an intense dried fruit opening. I find it extremely easy to wear. Always there and noticeable, but never in a thick way. It's a great "aura" scent, with outstanding longevity. I am not normally a huge incense fan, but this one totally works for me.

Off-Scenter compares it to L'Artisan Timubktu in his review, at least in terms of the general feel of the incense. Can anyone else comment on that?

L'Homme Sage used to get quite a bit of attention around here, but has fallen off the radar lately. As far as spicy incense goes, I would choose it over L'Air DDM any day.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Somehow along the way I just stopped wearing L'homme sage, but that doesn't change it's rank. A very nice scent everyone should discover. L' homme sage made me a Yann Vasnier fan.

Because IMO while it's not bad, there are far better ones of the same genre around.
    Smellin good

Banned

Default Re: Divine L'Homme Sage

L'Homme Sage by Divine - As it opens, one is treated to a wonderful, spicy, tropical fruit accord, tempered by a timid amber in the background. As the fruity accord runs its course, this submissive amber warmly steers the scent into its heart, a wetish woodsy and shy semi-sweetness melange. Thence, the somewhat forceful base with its greenness and smokiness pulls this soothing middle, and allows the amber to shine with the oakmoss and incense. A delightful journey, with varied stops along the way. This masterfully blended fragrance has good projection and longevity. Do partake!

Sur la Plage

This one just didn't do anything for me - nothing I felt compelled to purchase.

One of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I personally love L'Homme Sage but I don't get any gourmandic vibe out of it. IMO it strikes as a strong spicy (mainly cardamom and saffron) woody and incensey concoction with one of the most original accords available in modern perfumery. It get sweeter during the drydown due to a bold ambery base, but still not gourmandic IMO.
    agree.

I find that It keeps an spice style similar to LDDM , though without the dry incense quality of the one by Tauer.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Off-Scenter compares it to L'Artisan Timubktu in his review, at least in terms of the general feel of the incense. Can anyone else comment on that?
    I guess it was Dzongkha (even if IMO this specific similarity it's just a matter of perception and not objective). Timbuktu is way too transparent to be compared to L'Homme Sage.

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Also, L'Homme de couer is a great scent.
    Agree. One of the best masculine Iris on the market.

Thumbs up Re: Divine L'homme Sage

L' HOMME SAGE is a perfect scent. A must have of mine and i love it. Long lasting and a fantastic projection
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Like others, I don't experience L'Homme Sage as a gourmand at all. I get saffron, woods, and incense, but nothing especially sweet in a gourmandish way. That said, I still think it's wonderful. The whole Divine line is underrated, IMO. Divine, L'Inspiratrice, and L'Ame Soeur are all wonderful, old-school feminines with a modern twist. My least favorite of the line is L'Homme de Coeur, which I still like quite a lot.

Where is this sudden "gourmand" thing coming from...

It's got a bit of lychee and mandarin in the opening, but nothing about this scent is gourmand.

It's nice. Too simple for some. Perfect for others.

One of my top three scents for sure.
    Trying to make the world a better place, one sniff at a time

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Posted this back in 2008... only thing to add is that it is quite leathery in texture. Since then I've eventually bought myself a bottle... but in the end swapped it for a bottle of LDDM. I'll make sure to revisit some time in the near future.

IMO, as a house, Divine is really underrated. How often do we see threads on Divine? I have recently finished my sample of L'homme Sage and have been considering whether it is bottle-worthy or not. Here's what I thought of it:

L'homme Sage begins with a spicy blast of aromatic saffron and cardamom that recalls an Indian spice market that I have often passed through in my youth, which melds in beautifully with the bitter-sweet citrus that is hidden together with some subtle notes of fruit. (lychee I say) We are then lead by the trail of smoky incense through the woods with little flowers along the way into a base of very lovely patchouli and amber that is complimented by some very pleasant wood notes. By that time, we have already reached a wooden log cabin -- filled with the serene scent of "being at home, with peace of mind, and away from the chaos" surrounded by the enveloping earthiness of the woods that surround the cabin. Like the sage, this scent quietly seduces with words of wisdom, not with sheer power or brute force. Simply divine!

Okay, enough flowery language. This spicy-woody-sweet scent to me smells really smooth, sophisticated, and complex. However, I sometimes feel that a little something is missing when I wear it despite it being very rich and "3-dimensional." (a little more oomph would be great) Maybe because it is too solemnly made without any sort of quirks or playfulness? Nevertheless, it is a very attractive and compelling blend indeed, but it could've been something more as well. Sillage is somewhere between okay to good --- and it stays surprisingly quite close to the skin for such a rich scent.

So -- what do you think? Is it worth the price for you? The sleek 50ml spray is 79euro ... while the 150ml flacon is 120euro. Personally, I think the 150ml is definitely worth the price. Despite some shortcomings, I find it impossible to not give this a thumbs up.
    Good review, but you swapped it for LDDM??? I bought samples of both at the same time, both of which were my second samples of the frags. To me, though I like LDDM for the most part, I find Sage to be smoother and more satisfying altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I love it, but I can't say I've ever found it to be gourmand in the least, or particularly leathery for that matter. To echo alfarom, it's more of a spicy woody incense with an intense dried fruit opening. I find it extremely easy to wear. Always there and noticeable, but never in a thick way. It's a great "aura" scent, with outstanding longevity. I am not normally a huge incense fan, but this one totally works for me.
    Definetely, it is spicy (and woody), and it is that spice that adds to that edible, gourmand smell, imo.

Love the opening, but didn't care for the drydown. I don't get any gourmand qualities in it either. Not a big fan of incense and I think that's why I don't like the overall scent. About the only fragrance I like with incense is either Antidote or Silver Factory.

L'Homme Sage is definitely a great fragrance. I personally don't see it as a gourmand (it's more of a spice-laden incense). While I'm not a big fan of fragrances of this genre LHS is high quality with above average longevity and sillage. It's a compliment getter as well. I wouldn't wear it in the late spring or summer but it's perfect for the fall and winter.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Xerjoff 1861, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Gandini 1896 Teak Wood, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bond No.9 I Love NY Marriage Equality, Acqua di Parma Intensa Oud, Rasasi Faqat Lil Rijal, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait