Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Halston Z-14 (old formulation) vs (new formulation)

I wore it a few days ago and my impression was that the lavender note was way too strong, even relative to other "power frags" of that period.

Bought the Jeff Gordon version at CVS today. Much better.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Bought the Jeff Gordon version at CVS today. Much better.
    Beware, the Jeff Gordon bottles now come in reformulated versions as well. There's no comparison to the original! Beautiful masculine chypre - one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by lovingthealien View Post
    Beware, the Jeff Gordon bottles now come in reformulated versions as well. There's no comparison to the original! Beautiful masculine chypre - one of the best.
    I made sure it said Oakmoss on the side (evernia prunastri). I did my homework first!

Got a giftset at Marshalls today -- 4.2 oz cologne spray and 4.2 oz aftershave lotion for only $20. And it's the version with oakmoss, as I also made sure to check for evernia prunastri/oakmoss in the ingredient list.

I have been following this thread for a while and wanted to know if a Splash 60ml bottle of Cologne from 2004 would be considered a safe bet on having the pre-reformulation Z-14 juice in it.

I got the batch code from the seller along with the following info: "the batch number is C4X1 and the other words are even smaller but say Made for Halston Fragrances and NYNY 10153*London*Made in USA. 60ml 2(something) oz" Perhaps a bottle made for the UK Market? I'm assuming the (something) is Fl. for "fluid" ounces.

The batch code on checkcosmetic.net (under Elizabeth Arden) states 2004 - that is how I arrived at the year. So, based upon what I'm reading and the fact that it is of an older size as well (2oz/4oz splashes were standard before 2.5oz/4.2oz sprays).

Safe bet?

Great thread - much appreciated...

Cheers,

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen
    Currently wearing: Uomo? Moschino by Moschino

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BL'eauOG View Post
    All I have to a that the new formulation is just perfect! One of the best chypre... ;
    Agreed!

Have both, both smell nice, but could power on a bit longer for my taste. Both have oakmoss listed and codes are 9LA1 (September 2009) and 0HC1 (June 2010).

Edit - with both I meant 1-12 and Z-14 :-)
    Last edited by Rüssel; 18th July 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    I have been following this thread for a while and wanted to know if a Splash 60ml bottle of Cologne from 2004 would be considered a safe bet on having the pre-reformulation Z-14 juice in it.

I got the batch code from the seller along with the following info: "the batch number is C4X1 and the other words are even smaller but say Made for Halston Fragrances and NYNY 10153*London*Made in USA. 60ml 2(something) oz" Perhaps a bottle made for the UK Market? I'm assuming the (something) is Fl. for "fluid" ounces.

The batch code on checkcosmetic.net (under Elizabeth Arden) states 2004 - that is how I arrived at the year. So, based upon what I'm reading and the fact that it is of an older size as well (2oz/4oz splashes were standard before 2.5oz/4.2oz sprays).

Safe bet?

Great thread - much appreciated...

Cheers,

ericrico
    Yes. The reformulation seems to have happened around dec 2010 - jan 2011.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jclaxton78 View Post
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY did they have to put restrictions on Oakmoss (I know why, but I'm just sayin).
    I don't know why. Care to share with the rest of the class? I'm curious!
    Currently wearing: Castile by Penhaligon's

I have a new splash and a new spray and love them both.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Got me an oakmoss set from 2008 for $12.99 today. Includes 2.5 OZ EDT and a 1.0 OZ aftershave.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    My two cents:

scentemental kindly sent me a sample of his vintage 1983 Z-14 EdC which I compared to my 2008 bottle. The '08's lemon was of course in better condition. On the whole, the scent changed very very little. Besides the normal citrus degradation, the difference between the two may only be a result of 30 years of maceration. Regardless, I did find that the 1983 version had slightly less sweet cinnamon spice accord, and in opposition to that, slightly more of the elegant woodsy accord. But they are nearly indistinguishable to my nose, both smelling quite excellent. Pretty great that they preserved the scent for at least a few decades without major changes. Then EA came in and effed up a wonderful piece of art.
    Up to around 2008 you are probably correct, but the newest one is like an entirely different scent, and unlike past experiences, I am not sure I want to sell/swap it, because it is like some sort of weird niche idea. After a few hours you can recognize the old Z-14, though considerably weaker, but that oddball opening, with all that cinnamon, is something I may actually want to wear once in a while!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I don't know why. Care to share with the rest of the class? I'm curious!
    Apparently the atropine or something is an allergen for some tiny segment of the population.

What a coincidence that you replied today, Chuck. I haven't worn Z-14 in many months and wore it today!

Had this same experience recently with Lagerfeld Classic...even though I enjoy the current reformulated version. Recently spotted a lone bottle of the older stock at Ross, and I was so happy...I could already smell the difference even before completely opening the box it came in. Really made my night. It's interesting comparing both versions. I enjoy both but the older one is so much more special.

Now I will take a hard look at the Halston stock next time I hit Ross or Marshalls, thanks to this thread. Damn it.
    I am not a crowd pleaser
    Currently wearing: Frapin 1270 by Frapin

Current Z-14 I bought once blind and sold it again right away!
    It is the only fragrance so far I associate with a 'dated old men smell'! A really unpleasant citrus-cinnamon-leather combo to me.
    Never smelled the vintage unfortunately.
    My Top '11' :

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Tom Ford: Ombré Leather
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - Amouage: Interlude

Found my new set at a myrtle beach outlet store that always has at least one gem for me on my annual pilgrimage. My 18 year old son spotted it for me...he knows I'm always on the lookout for the Jeff Gordon packaging with the oakmoss on the list. Trained him well.

What is the final word on this? Are the jeff gordon versions of quality? I mean the ones with oakmoss AND tree moss, meaning between 2005-2010/11. Some say these are way too heavy in lavender. How does the 05-2010 reformulation compare to the 90's and prior?

Dependent

I tried some vintage 1983 juice and the difference with my 2009 bottle was minor, easily explained by aging and maceration. Thumbs up on 2005-2010 juice from me.

I, too, stockpile the oakmoss versions of each (oddly, I also had some luck with gift sets) and also bought a boxed set of minis (incl. Grey Flannel) with had the Oakmoss. I love this and only wear the oakmoss versions. Italian Cypress is a very good--though more expensive--alternative.

[IMG][/IMG]

Two minis--the smaller, 1/4 oz. is from EA and contains oakmoss and the larger, 1/2 oz. one, is from 1979 (is had come with a same sized 1-12). Both very similar!

I also happen to own a release from 2005-2007 the latest and must say to be quite satisfied with it, due to the fact of not noticing any major difference (at least to my nose) compared to certain samples/testings of more vintage versions

Dependent

Italian Cypress is more round and deep, but a little less edgy than Z-14; I think it's more coniferous and less animalic (castoreum). Nice composition though I don't find it 8x better (the price differential).

Is there a way to have any feel for the era simply based on bottle? My bottle has an underlined 15 on the bottom with a 7 inside the cap. Hardly much info. The previous owner claims it to be late 80's up to late 90's.

Thanks for the replies with more experiences, what a helpful thread.

Jeff Gordon versions definitely get the thumbs up, as I've never seen one WITHOUT it saying "oakmoss or evernia prunastri" on it. It's fine if it says treemoss on it IN ADDITION to oakmoss or evernia prunastri. Certain gift sets that are still hanging around Ebay are the legitimate good formula (but you have to know what to look for in packaging appearance and there aren't many left). But there a decent amount of Gordon versions on Ebay (for now), but it's on the endangered species list.

I stumbled upon this video review a few months ago, thought the crowd here would like to check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1_gT84ZGg
    Last edited by jclaxton78; 18th February 2015 at 09:06 PM.
    "Shut your mouth when you're talking to me" !

Still seeking an answer for indentification. My cap has a 7 inside it, and the bottle an underlined 15 on the bottom. That is all. Sprayer appears more modern than some I see which are brown and have grooves cut. The smell is not a favorite. Might be the lavender that is just extremely powerful., though I don't get much projection. Will wear this and see if it grows on me.

Dependent

I'm not aware of any specific differences in the bottle.

The new stuff is all lemon & cinnamon and very brash, like floor cleaner. The old is woody and rich, with a light cinnamon touch.

I bought a gordon era z14 to compare. It seems what I have fits the first description. Doesn't smell enjoyable, smells like cleaner and has no projection what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I tried some vintage 1983 juice and the difference with my 2009 bottle was minor, easily explained by aging and maceration. Thumbs up on 2005-2010 juice from me.
    My "8SB1" bottle was issued December 2008. Oak moss is listed on the box. Smells terrific, but the stuff is already 7 years old. Can't speak to 2014 batches.

Well after a decade of "wonderfully" enjoying Z-14 I captured, Aha, a large 8 oz bottle and paid for ot!! as well.
    But IT IS AWFUL
    NOT BAD.............BLOODY AWFUL and nothing, absolutely nothing like the old Z-14. EA (Elizabeth Arden) who bought this product changed the formulation to the crappy floor cleaner smell it now has..............

DO NOT,,,,,,,,,,UNLESS YOU ARE A FLOOR BUT THIS CRAP...........AND PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH UNWITTING PEOPLE.
    SHAME ON ELIZABETH ARDEN

oh yes, they are not interested in refunding or having the crap back--likely they have barrels they cannot sell.
    ugh