Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 37 of 37

Thread: Opus 1870

  1. #1

    Default Opus 1870

    I always liked Opus 1870, and it was the last Penhaligon one I wanted to acquire - but I was unwilling to fork out the A$135 they wanted for a 50ml bottle down here. Today my patience was rewarded and I picked up a bottle for A$55 at a local department store. Curiously, they had four bottles of it with different prices, so I picked the cheapest.

    I was about to go to the counter when my eagle eye spotted the set of three Lagerfeld 30ml Kapsules in little drawers going for A$49, so I picked one of those up as well.

    Has anybody else been drawn to the peppery light Opus 1870 recently?
    Cheers,
    Renato

    (P.S. I won't ask the same about the Kapsules, I think they're great, but I've noticed a distinctly negative tone towards them around here)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Indeed yes! In fact, this one is a highly contemporary and versatile scent, so I would even consider wearing it with day-to-day workplace-office attire

  3. #3

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Indeed yes! In fact, this one is a highly contemporary and versatile scent, so I would even consider wearing it with day-to-day workplace-office attire
    Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't given it a wearing yet, but that's where I intend wearing it tomorrow.
    I've got a few stronger peppery scents which I really like when sniffing them on my wrist, but which I get totally tired of by the end of the day, as the pepper just gets to be too much for me. I could be wrong, but I doubt that fate will befall the subtler Opus 1870.
    Regards,
    Renato

  4. #4

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I have gone back and forth on Opus for quite awhile. I think a little more pink or white peppercorn instead of so much black pepper would have made me buy it already. It's an excellent scent, and in my top 3 from Penhaligon's

  5. #5

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I like it very much and recently upgraded my mini to a full bottle. I think I prefer it in cooler weather though.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I have worn 1870 a few times and love it but I would never pay that price for a scent that is so short lived.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    I have gone back and forth on Opus for quite awhile. I think a little more pink or white peppercorn instead of so much black pepper would have made me buy it already. It's an excellent scent, and in my top 3 from Penhaligon's
    Which are your other two in the top 3?

    I have Castille and Blenheims Bouquet.
    Castille I really like. Blenheims I have because it cost me A$35.
    Renato

  8. #8

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I like it very much and recently upgraded my mini to a full bottle. I think I prefer it in cooler weather though.
    Definitely. I've always regretted wearing peppery scents in warm weather.
    Renato

  9. #9

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Partagas View Post
    I have worn 1870 a few times and love it but I would never pay that price for a scent that is so short lived.
    It's still hanging around my wrist now - 12 hours after I sprayed it on - but I must admit that it's strength output drops off quite dramatically after a couple of hours.
    Renato

  10. #10

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Hey Renato,
    Actually, yes. I sampled Opus for the first time about 3 days ago and was well and truly drawn in to it.
    Was it perhaps David Jones having the clearance? If yes, I might go and take a look today.

    And by the way, just with regard to the Kapsules, you can read my thoughts on Woody here. I actually rather enjoyed it!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Which are your other two in the top 3?

    I have Castille and Blenheims Bouquet.
    Castille I really like. Blenheims I have because it cost me A$35.
    Renato
    Castile, Opus 1870, and Eau De Cologne (anthology)

  12. #12

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I picked this up back in Feb. of 2006, shortly after it came out (I bought it the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl). Still have about 1/2 a bottle left. It's distinctive - I don't have anything else quite like it, with its pepper, clove, rose combination, and I've never really had any longevity issues with it.
    The Bark Bites Back.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I love Opus 1870, in short, it's a beautiful fragrance. But I do agree with the issues of longevity. It's heavenly but needs to be EdP strength to do it justice. I have made this request direct to Penhaligon's central. Same with Endymion.

    On a separate note Zizonia is absolutely stunning. I've been wearing it on and off for day. God it's good.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  14. #14

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Hey Renato,
    Actually, yes. I sampled Opus for the first time about 3 days ago and was well and truly drawn in to it.
    Was it perhaps David Jones having the clearance? If yes, I might go and take a look today.

    And by the way, just with regard to the Kapsules, you can read my thoughts on Woody here. I actually rather enjoyed it!
    Yes indeed, it was David Jones' Melbourne store.
    I liked the Woody Kapsule, and had picked up a 100ml bottle for A$29 from Terry White's Chemist in FountainGate Narre Warren about a month ago.
    Renato

  15. #15

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I picked this up back in Feb. of 2006, shortly after it came out (I bought it the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl). Still have about 1/2 a bottle left. It's distinctive - I don't have anything else quite like it, with its pepper, clove, rose combination, and I've never really had any longevity issues with it.
    I'm six hours into wearing it, and it's still hanging around - but I do wish it were stronger.
    Renato

  16. #16

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I love Opus 1870, in short, it's a beautiful fragrance. But I do agree with the issues of longevity. It's heavenly but needs to be EdP strength to do it justice. I have made this request direct to Penhaligon's central. Same with Endymion.

    On a separate note Zizonia is absolutely stunning. I've been wearing it on and off for day. God it's good.
    EDP strength would be good, but I think they'd have to go easier on the pepper to make sure it wasn't cloying by day's end. Zizonia I've never come across down here.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  17. #17

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I found this one today at work in DJs and bought a bottle for $44 (thanks to our generous staff discount).
    Thanks for the heads up Renato! I also bought 2 Penhaligons Lily & Spice candles for our outdoor room (only $20 each!).
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 16th September 2010 at 09:15 AM.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Havenīt worn Opus since March, but as soon as the weather turned cooler I found my bottle at the back of the shelf. Iīm wearing it at the office today.

    Longevity seems unusually variable with this scent. I get good sillage and it lasts at least ten hours on my skin.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    I found this one today at work in DJs and bought a bottle for $44 (thanks to our generous staff discount).
    Thanks for the heads up Renato! I also bought 2 Penhaligons Lily & Spice candles for our outdoor room (only $20 each!).
    Excellent. One can't beat the David Jones sales on niche type scents. A couple of years back I got Castille and a huge bottle of shower gel for A$60 there. In particular, I stocked up on their A$20 bottles of CSP scents - I keep giving them out as presents for the relatives when I go to Italy - where they are pretty much a fairly exclusive item.
    Regards,
    Renato

  20. #20

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Tabularasa View Post
    Havenīt worn Opus since March, but as soon as the weather turned cooler I found my bottle at the back of the shelf. Iīm wearing it at the office today.

    Longevity seems unusually variable with this scent. I get good sillage and it lasts at least ten hours on my skin.
    Thanks for your observation.
    Today I got the longevity but not much by way of sillage. It was a very cold day though. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the weather starts warming up down here.
    Renato

  21. #21

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I too very much like it. However, it is too cedar-prominent for me to love or ever think about purchasing it. Very, hamster cage on my skin.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  22. #22

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I too very much like it. However, it is too cedar-prominent for me to love or ever think about purchasing it. Very, hamster cage on my skin.
    Interesting this hamster cage reference I keep seeing, often in relation to scents I quite like. I've got no idea what a hamster or a hamster cage looks like or smells like.

    When I finally do visit the US, I'll have to post here "Which scents smell like a hamster cage?" and leave them off my travel list.
    Cheers,
    Renato

  23. #23
    rogalal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    3,377
    Blog Entries
    33

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    When I finally do visit the US, I'll have to post here "Which scents smell like a hamster cage?" and leave them off my travel list.
    LOL

    Slightly off topic, but I liked Woody and Floriental too, in the Lagerfelds. I have a sample of Opus that I keep loving when I sniff the vial, but I just haven't tested it yet...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

  24. #24

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Wow, you Aussie's get some amazing Penhaligon's finds! I enjoy quite nearly every Frag from this house. Opus 1870 is one of faves. Wonderfully simple yet unique scent.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I love Opus 1870! One of my favorite Penhaligon's fragrances.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by rogalal View Post
    LOL

    Slightly off topic, but I liked Woody and Floriental too, in the Lagerfelds. I have a sample of Opus that I keep loving when I sniff the vial, but I just haven't tested it yet...
    I wasn't as keen on Woody until I wore it the other day. I now think of Floriental and Woody as two pretty classy scents.
    And my wife liked the drawer box they came in - handy for putting jewelry into - I think she wants me to go buy another one on Monday.
    Renato

  27. #27

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Wow, you Aussie's get some amazing Penhaligon's finds! I enjoy quite nearly every Frag from this house. Opus 1870 is one of faves. Wonderfully simple yet unique scent.
    Generally speaking, you guys in the US do much better than us on designer and niche scent prices. Our niche scent prices are very expensive. But every now and then, there is a clearance and we can get what seem to be pretty good deals relative to everywhere else. For example, in that same store I picked up a bunch of L'Artisans for A$50 each a year and a half ago.

    At the moment, all their Bond No9s are going for 30% off - but that still leaves them at around A$170 to A$190 a bottle. There's a few of them I like, but I'll hang out for 70% off.
    Regards,
    Renato

  28. #28

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    I love Opus 1870! One of my favorite Penhaligon's fragrances.
    Agreed.
    The only thing that puzzles me about this scent is the "1870" part - the scent was made in 2005.
    I checked their site which states,
    "Created in 2005, Opus 1870 is a complex and elegant woody chypre. Opening with a luxurious accord of sweet citrus and fiery black pepper, the heart is lit by the delicacy of English Clove Rose and evocative incense. The base notes are glorious, smoky waves of aromatic cedarwood and sandalwood. Opus 1870 is wonderfully warm and comforting, a fragrance to wrap yourself in on cold winter nights. "
    This leaves me totally unenlightened about the 1870 part.
    Renato

  29. #29

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Interesting this hamster cage reference I keep seeing, often in relation to scents I quite like. I've got no idea what a hamster or a hamster cage looks like or smells like.

    When I finally do visit the US, I'll have to post here "Which scents smell like a hamster cage?" and leave them off my travel list.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    It's most likely do to the wood chips used in the bottom of hamster (and similar caged animals a la ferrets, gerbils, guinea pigs) cages. I would guess it was either cedar chips or a combination of cedar and other wood chips.


    See: Hamster in Cage

    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  30. #30

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    It's most likely do to the wood chips used in the bottom of hamster (and similar caged animals a la ferrets, gerbils, guinea pigs) cages. I would guess it was either cedar chips or a combination of cedar and other wood chips.


    [/IMG]
    Thanks. That's a cute critter.
    Renato

  31. #31

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I too very much like it. However, it is too cedar-prominent for me to love or ever think about purchasing it. Very, hamster cage on my skin.
    Is this such a big problem? I never owned a hamster and don't know anyone who did, so I have no association of cedar with the cedar chips in a hamster cage. It's not like every other person you meet talks about owning a hamster. At least not that I've noticed.

  32. #32

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I like Opus 1870 -- it's very elegant. On the other hand, it sometimes feel a bit bare to me, as if it had been left unfinished.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I love Opus 1870. I own the edt, and the after shave balm and showergel arrived today. Somone know who is the nose behind this awesome fragrance?

  34. #34

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I am a big fan of this fragrance to and like the way the rose and ceder come together. I have tried most of the range of Penhaligons and I think this one is the best.

  35. #35
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    79,240

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    When I tried this one it simply didn't smell good on my skin.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    Quote Originally Posted by miguelca View Post
    I like Opus 1870 -- it's very elegant. On the other hand, it sometimes feel a bit bare to me, as if it had been left unfinished.
    Does it feel bare after 3 or 4 hours, or immediately?
    Renato

  37. #37

    Default Re: Opus 1870

    I don't find it bare. It's straightforward, but not bare. I really like it. Probably my "politest" scent.

Similar Threads

  1. Penhaligon's Opus 1870
    By lifevapor in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th June 2014, 11:07 AM
  2. opus 1870
    By womble in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th January 2006, 09:03 PM
  3. NEW Penhaligons, OPUS 1870
    By scenteur7 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th July 2005, 06:45 PM
  4. Penhaligon's Opus 1870
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM
  5. NEW Penhaligons, OPUS 1870
    By in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st January 1970, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •