Code of Conduct

Question Hammam Bouquet or CS no. 88?

I'm looking for a good rose centered scent for men (or unisex) possibly with a little Victorian flair that is still relevant today. I have samples of both. For me, the opening of Hammam is too oily, the citrus too discordant, and the Oriental nature a tad thick for daily use--there's also a distinct note of whatever they scent baby oil with here. Then, no. 88 is quite nice, but rather spicy. Which one would you recommend?

Default Re: Hammam Bouquet or CS no. 88?

For me, it is no contest. Czech & Speake No.88 all the way.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    For me, it is no contest. Czech & Speake No.88 all the way.
    Same here, 88 by far. I would suggest Le labo rose 31 as well if you can sample it.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Well, I have both and think Hammam is more Victorian and old school. But I'd have a tough time wearing it a lot.

No. 88 has a foul note in it that I detect and can't deal with.

Have you considered Domenico Caraceni 1913? It's quite similar to No. 88 but far, far more refined and elegant imo. Only slight knock I have on it is longevity. I get about 6 hours, but some of that may just be my dense nose.

Both are really good. I've not done a side by side comparison but from what I can remember, HB is more clean whereas 88 is a tad more dirty/dark. HB is more thin whereas 88 is more thick. They are really two different fragrances and at the moment, you might might enjoy 88 in this cold weather and might prefer HB towards spring. However, either one can be worn year around so, I'd go with the one that works best with your chemistry and seems to bring you more satisfaction. I'd probably enjoy either one about equally.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Well, I have both and think Hammam is more Victorian and old school. But I'd have a tough time wearing it a lot.

No. 88 has a foul note in it that I detect and can't deal with.

Have you considered Domenico Caraceni 1913? It's quite similar to No. 88 but far, far more refined and elegant imo.
    I know exactly what you mean when refering to the foul note of 88. But for some reason I love this note, it s like a bit of an animalic leather, and once used to it it is a big plus of this fragrance for me.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    I know exactly what you mean when refering to the foul note of 88. But for some reason I love this note, it s like a bit of an animalic leather, and once used to it it is a big plus of this fragrance for me.
    I wish it smelled like that. I have seen long discussions of this here and in other forums. There seems to be a note in most of the C&S scents that some detect and are repulsed by, and others don't notice it at all. It occurs sporadically for me, and when it presents itself, I am appalled.

yes, for all their cleanliness, i do notice there's something sort of foul underlying all of the c&s lineup. I would think the hb is the more classic but it sounds like you have some trouble wearing it. i've also heard reports of poeple actually getting complaints when they wear 88... my vote is find another rose. i don't personally like rose 31 but many do. it could probably use something like leather though.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

No. 88
    Best tart masculine Bulgarian Rose on the market.
    For the first 45 minutes, it's too tart, too sour, too b!tchy.
    But the drydown gets much smoother, much fruitier, and more masculine.
    It gets better the longer it wears, all the way thru the next day.

Rose 31 is also a very good one I like alot.
    Never really liked Caraceni, Lyric Man, Hammam Bouquet, or either of the other C&S Rose scents.

I suppose I will have to try the Caraceni and see what I think. Haven't tried Lyric Man, though I tried Rose 31 about a year ago and don't remember much about it. CS's other rose scents are very feminine and don't work for me.

I'd go for Hammam Bouqet for the smell, but No88 is more wearable. Both are very different though.

By a mile. too much powder for me HB
    "...call on God, but row away from the rocks..."

HB takes my breath away with its wet linen note. Must be the iris factor. I swoon to your whiff, Hammam.

88 is gorgeous. Not gourmandy, but every time I splash it on my arms, I wanna eat me. Your sandalwood base is to die for, you decadent 88. Muahhh!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have and like both a lot, but prefer HB for its oily, musky baby-powderiness. It is, IMO, subtler than the baroque No.88.

A good alternative to HB would be Lorenzo Villoresi's Musk.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

C&S No 88
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Neither. My choice would be Rosissimo by Parfums des Rosine.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post
    Same here, 88 by far. I would suggest Le labo rose 31 as well if you can sample it.
    I don't personally get any 'Victorian flair' from Rose 31.

Over the next couple of days I'll be giving Hammam Bouquet, CS n. 88, and LV Musk some wearings and report. I am wearing LV Musk today since I tossed my dresser and found the sample buried at the bottom.

Both are superb constructions. I have no hesitation about wearing No.88 anytime and anywhere, while I also feel HB's thickness limits its use.

No. 88

88 pour moi.

Basenotes adores No 88. But I feel Hammam is the much better fragrance. Still, No 88 is more versatile and still decent. Hammam has a longer lived rose note, whereas No 88 smells like temple incense after a couple of hours to me. I don't mean real temple incense, but the stuff the shops sell.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Out of the two options, I will plump for Hammam Bouquet. I find it especially delightful in the colder weather. Another rose to consider might be Washington Tremletts Black Tie.

I am unashamedly biased on this: Hammam Bouquet. Truly Victorian (it was formulated in the midst of her reign) and remains one of the most unique fragrances currently in production.

C&S is a beautiful fragrance however and also one of my all time favourite rose fragrances.

Up there too is the divine Paestum Rose.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 16th November 2011 at 08:11 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Victorian rose? Hamman. I dont like either one however. Rose colognes on me do not get along but some I liked were Rose Poivree by the Different Company, Pasteum Rose and VIlloresi's Musk (yes I got rose).

Well, I've worn the three scents at issue here over the past three days and will share my thoughts:

CS n. 88--very dark, very dry Bulgarian rose with incense and a dark citrus opening. Very good overall. A little strong on the spices in my opinion.

Hammam Bouquet: very luxurious albeit somewhat discordant rose accord here of the geranium type. The opening is very strong with floral elements. The middle is all rose but the jasmine makes it powdery and languid. The base is a creamy musk/sandalwood concoction. Quite good, but will take some getting used to.

LV Musk: the most mild-mannered of the three no doubt. Opens with a nice tea type rose and the quality ambrette seed musk is evident right away though it never offends. Dries down to white florals and musk.

They are very different. No.88 is a dark rose/geranium/sandalwood perfume while HB is, cant quite summarize it yet but certainly different (&complex). But they're very different.

for swap/sale:

Cs No. 88

I went with Hammam Bouquet as my Victorian rose fix. I'm nearing completion on recreating vintage Hammam Bouquet Extract as it would have existed in 1872 (or as close as possible)--but more on that later

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    I went with Hammam Bouquet as my Victorian rose fix. I'm nearing completion on recreating vintage Hammam Bouquet Extract as it would have existed in 1872 (or as close as possible)--but more on that later
    Looking forward to hearing your update!