Code of Conduct

Default Do you have a fragrance you won't wear in public, only at home and just for your pleasure?

Is there a fragrance that you love but won't wear in public for whatever reason? Maybe it is too strong or has silage that is ridiculously strong? Maybe it offends people that smell it. Maybe it is just too "flowery" or feminine. Maybe it is just too private of a scent and you want to keep it to yourself. If there is one you keep to yourself, what is that fragrance and why won't you wear it in public?

I have one that I have a small bottle of, Acqua di Gioia. Fresh, lemony, sugar sweet, flowery concoction with a touch of cedar and pepper with an aqua accord. Love this one but it seems really feminine to me, and I wear quite a few scents for women. Pretty bottle too.

Acqua di Gio fans should sample Acqua di Gioia
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Default Re: Do you have a fragrance you won't wear in public, only at home and just for your pleasure?

For me, it's Oud 27. Love the dirty musk, but it's just a touch too dirty for public use. Right now, at least.

I'm not a fan, but I don't see anything wrong with Acqua di Gioia. Proudly douse yourself in it and go out!

cacio

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Do you have a fragrance you won't wear in public, only at home and just for your pleasure?

No. Everything I own I wear in public.

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Samsara & Gucci Rush. I like smelling them but somehow they just don't feel right on me so I use them as room sprays.

Yes I do - L'heure Bleue - Guerlain
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 14th November 2011 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    This is my only one. I am not afraid, maybe just a little shy. I like scents of all sorts and really like things that are a bit of a challenge. Acqua di Gioia is not a challenge, just a little too pretty.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Oriscent Borneo 3000 pure oud oil sample.
    Oriscent Kyara Koutan pure Burmese oud oil sample.

I'm not sure where i'd wear Musc Ravageur to.

Perhaps Lolita Lempicka. I would wear it out in theory but I have not found an occasion for such a girly scent yet.

Edit- Wearing this tonight I noticed that the reason I never wear it out much might not be because it is girly but because it truly annoys me : / used to like it but not anymore.
    Last edited by Rüssel; 15th November 2011 at 12:28 AM.

I'll wear No.88 in public. But generally I only wear it at home.

Basenotes Plus

Ditto.

same here

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Everything can be worn anytime.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Is there a fragrance that you love but won't wear in public for whatever reason?
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly by "in public". My ultimate social barrier is the office, with Shalimar and l'Heure Bleue being the only scents (in 'extrait' concentration) I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing at the office (out of ~100 in my wardrobe). Too good to be office scents.

Otherwise they make perfect leisure / evening / outdoor scents.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Everything can be worn anytime.
    I know that. And that is not the answer to the question.

The question is: Is there is one fragrance you keep to yourself for whatever reason? In your case, and in the case of many basenoters the answer is obviously "no" and some fragheads want to share everything with everybody! I am seeking answers from those that may have a fragrance that is a private indulgence.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Is there a fragrance that you love but won't wear in public for whatever reason?
    Nope, can't say there is.

Banned

agree ...

Basenotes Member

I will wear all of my collection.

This is how I feel.....Gary

No, certainly not!
    I´m wearing perfumes solely for my amusement and edification, anywhere and anytime!

I confess, I do, yes, Penhaligon's Bluebell. I just love the smell, but don't think I could carry it off lol
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have always been afraid to wear Joy out in public, but maybe it's time to give it a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I confess, I do, yes, Penhaligon's Bluebell. I just love the smell, but don't think I could carry it off lol
    I have smelled this one and I understand why it is a behind closed doors secret pleasure, no more need be said on the matter.lol

Chanel No 19 EDT

Most likely, Armani Eau pour Homme

Secretions Magnifiques. I enjoy it a lot, but I know that it makes others gag. If others merely found it unpleasant, I'd probably wear it in public. But I can't in good conscience go out into the world with a fragrance that's likely to make some people vomit.

Ditto.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/pigasus27

Thumbs up Re: Do you have a fragrance you won't wear in public, only at home and just for your pleasure?

Same here
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Nah, if I like something I'll wear it anywhere.

only at home? i don't think so.

more common at home? Cologne Pour Le Soir.

No.

I'll wear anything from my collection in public, but I'm careful about what I'll wear to work. Arabie, for example. Love it, but it's a little too spicy-fantasy for my workplace. It's fine at home, though. And I wear it around town now and then when I'm out running errands, etc. I'm somewhat fearless about casual wear in public. Anything goes at home. The office is another story. I have a fairly high-profile job, conservative business image. Best not to show up reeking of L'Heure Bleu, for example. Shame, too, because I really love it. Just doesn't fit the day job, though.

I wear orange blossom water a lot at home. The inexpensive, 2-dollar stuff available in supermarkets. I find it very refreshing, and it's pleasant after a shave in lieu of cologne. I wouldn't wear it in public because, well, it lasts so little time that I'd have to have taken a bottle of it with me in order to apply it, and that would be embarrassing. I wonder how many people would know it for what it was.

It's amusing to use as a benchmark for perfumes with neroli (I know they aren't the same thing), like Cologne du Parfumeur.

Absolutely!

I purchase fragrance for my enjoyment, not to impress upon others. For awhile, my purchases were relegated to those I thought I'd enjoy wearing whenever and wherever. As my interests grew, however, I've made more 'non-public', 'house-only' purchases. I have a clear idea of how I care to project myself and if a scent I own is not consistent in that regard, then it pretty much is 'house only'. That's it. No fear factor. It's all about self-enjoyment maximization.

For me, these include:
    #5, #19, #88, 31 rue cambon, youth dew, aramis 900, aromatics elixir, bal a versailles, bel respiro, black aoud, aoud lime, coromandel, l'heure bleue, le baiser du dragon, mitsouko, mure et musc, musc nomade, musc ravageur, noir patchouli, opium, villoresi patchouli, patchouli patch, raw vanilla, re, rose 31, samsara, shalimar, SDV, VC&A, carnal flower, en passant, highland lilac of rochester, musk ghazelle II, and an assortment of indian assam oud and flowery attars.

Your proposition doesn't really make sense to me, though others obviously share it with you.

Scents aren't cheap. It would be like buying expensive clothes to only wear at home, or for when mowing the backyard. No matter how good the clothes, I don't think I'd get any enjoyment out of doing that.
    Regards,
    Renato

Dependent

Fleur du Male is the closest I come to this. But even then, I still wear it when and where I want.

Eau Duelle I guess. Vanilla reminds me of strippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    Yes I do - L'heure Bleue - Guerlain
    Yeah, I agree. It is a bit of an effort for me to pull off L'Heure Bleue comfortably, so recently I have only worn it at home (my favorite concentration, the perfumey vintage EdP). I wore the vintage EdC on a late summer afternoon to the ice salon. I smelled pretty, but it was in harmony with a pretty day. On the other hand, L'Heure Bleue is so contemplative, a bit introvert that wearing it at home in a cosy setting is perfectly alright for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Your proposition doesn't really make sense to me, though others obviously share it with you.

Scents aren't cheap. It would be like buying expensive clothes to only wear at home, or for when mowing the backyard. No matter how good the clothes, I don't think I'd get any enjoyment out of doing that.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Renato, from the 7 years we have been basenoters together, I've got the feeling that for you have more practical relationship with fragrances than many here. Longevity is very important for you etc; fragrance has to be practical in a way. You say it doesn't "make sense" to buy expensive fragrances and only wear them at home. Well, It's not supposed to make sense; making sense has very little to do with aesthetic pleasure. You think like an engineer mate.

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Not really sure why, but I've owned Frank No 2 for awhile now but have never worn it in public.

According to LS it's liked:

5 Star - 16
    4 Star - 3
    3 Star - 0
    2 Star - 0
    1 Star - 0

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Vanilla reminds me of strippers.
    I love me some strippers!

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Yes I do, Chinatown by Bond No 9.

Simple reason is I don't have the balls to wear it in public. Gutless and shallow, but honest! lol
    Life's a bitch. If it were a slut it'd be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Renato, from the 7 years we have been basenoters together, I've got the feeling that for you have more practical relationship with fragrances than many here. Longevity is very important for you etc; fragrance has to be practical in a way. You say it doesn't "make sense" to buy expensive fragrances and only wear them at home. Well, It's not supposed to make sense; making sense has very little to do with aesthetic pleasure. You think like an engineer mate.
    Fair enough comment. And you've picked my profession accurately.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I know that. And that is not the answer to the question.

The question is: Is there is one fragrance you keep to yourself for whatever reason? In your case, and in the case of many basenoters the answer is obviously "no" and some fragheads want to share everything with everybody! I am seeking answers from those that may have a fragrance that is a private indulgence.
    Ohh I understood you the first time round.
    I can see how some people may have reservations about certain perfumes that are both logical and valid, to them.

I have no reservations. Ill wear whatever whenever.

Well except to the gym. No.88 , Cuiron, Or Black and a few others would just be too intense to wear.

for swap/sale:

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

No. Wouldn't own it in the first place.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Apres l'Ondee by Guerlain
    Mitsouko by Guerlain
    Eau d'Hermes

Ah, I forgot:
    La Petite Mort (by Marc Atlan)

Hmm interesting thread to bump.

I don't have any scent that I wouldn't wear in public. I do, however, have scents that are comfort scents to me, and I just end up using them much more at home, usually late at night before bed.

The two that come to mind are Chanel Cuir de Russie and Guerlain Habit Rouge vintage EDC. Not sure why I'm only in the mood for these at night time, but I've rarely worn these out. Its not like they're too animalic or flowery - I'll happily wear out Absolue pour le Soir or Carnal Flower pretty much anytime. I guess at this point they seem more personal to me, and they signify a time to reflect (and to sleep).

I never wear Nautica Voyage out of the house anymore but every week i would weae it around the house just fir the heck of it. I rarely wear Curve out either and i find myself always spraying it when im not going out anytime that day.

I, too, would wear any and all of my frags in public.

Yep, some frags I only enjoy wearing at night. For example Amouage Gold. I have a hard time with it in the morning, but it's my go to scent to wear to bed. Fumerie turque was one before. There are a whole lot of scents that I would not feel comfortable wearing in public simply because I don't like them enoUgh to actually give them a full 2-4 spray wearing as I do with my regular fragrances. For example, I love chanel's cuir de russie, but can not wear it in the summer, so I quietly spray half a spray on my wrist when I am at home and enjoy it. Further more, there is a difference between wearing a scent for everyone to enjoy, and wearing something for the purpose of study.

This may have already been mentioned in another thread so I'm sorry if I'm repeating what may have been already said.

I think guys can get away with most female fragrances if they are able to balance the feminines with something in their wardrobe to make them seem and feel masculine.

Bear with me - I'm an artist and a filmmaker so being unusual or eccentric isn't looked upon as a negative thing.

First of all I wear red prescription sunglasses - that adds to the cool and unusual factor. It also allows one to get away with more eccentricities.

Here's a picture of my glasses. They get lots of attention.

When I'm out I sometimes wear clothes by Robert Graham. Some of which are a little feminine even though they are men's shirts.

some of the clothing I wear:

You have to wear something more masculine clothing accessories to counter balance anything that may seem feminine. If I wear something from the Robert Graham. I usually need a bit of something to counteract it. I have a belt with a giant scorpion
    on it that helps, and I sometimes wear biker rings, etc.

I have these shoes which may require masculine accessories.

For perfumes, no restrictions. For clothing too much restrictions.

Comptoir Sud Pacific Vanille Mokha

Well, I've got a mini of vintage Bel Ami, which I usually don't wear in public, cause it has lots of testosterone. But I love the smell, so I dab some on my wrist when I'm at home.

Hmm....Polo (Green)......the problem of getting that 1/4 squirt just right...... should be more devil-may-care I guess...
    Last edited by SJRnz; 5th August 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Kouros all the way!

I tend to do the opposite and wear some of my less remarkable fragrances around the house.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)