Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Viktor & Rolf SPICEBOMB

Dammit! this thread makes me want to get it right now! I LOVE Tobacco Vanille, so know this has some of it's DNA in it, makes me want it even more! anybody wanna go half on a bottle with me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Dang it, you beat me to the punch.

I sampled this the other day and L'Occitane's Eau de Baux is exactly what came to my mind. I still like it, but it seems quite close. I do feel that Spicebomb radiates better.
    I definitely do see the similarity, right now I have SB on one arm and EDB on the other. In my opinion EDB is a bit more grown up with less sweetness, Spicebomb is seriously sweet. I like EDB allot, but I'm pretty wowed by Spicebomb! This is probably going to be something I get a bottle of sometime soon.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Tobacco Vanille is superior to Spice Bomb in almost every way. Don't get your hopes up

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neil4Speed View Post
    I definitely do see the similarity, right now I have SB on one arm and EDB on the other. In my opinion EDB is a bit more grown up with less sweetness, Spicebomb is seriously sweet. I like EDB allot, but I'm pretty wowed by Spicebomb! This is probably going to be something I get a bottle of sometime soon.
    The candy is what sold me on Spicebomb. I like EdB, but there is something about it - a kind of dry, charred note - that just had me hesitating. Nothing like that in Spicebomb, thanks to the candy and fresh notes.

Default Re: Spicebomb.....really?!?!?!? Smells more like Flowerbomb with spice added.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sol invictus View Post
    I've tried this on paper, but not on skin. But after all the rave reviews, I'll spitz some on my wrist later today.
    Totally different on the skin. Please sample both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    I think this may be the "next big thing" fragrance. I hope it`s a new trend we will see more of now, that the designer-companies are taking a new direction moving away from the acqua / sport / citrus stuff. Wish dream! :-)
    One can only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Curiosity rising. Not worried about the unisexness but the silly bottle.
    I think the bottle is a bit of fun. A little silly but more in the spirit of the "bomb" idea behind the marketing than Flowerbomb. The "pin" on the grenade is actually very clever, like the pins on Montales and Gaultiers. I don't think they are aiming for the same audience as, say, Guerlain Derby.
    Last edited by Primrose; 27th February 2012 at 02:31 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Spicebomb.....really?!?!?!? Smells more like Flowerbomb with spice added.....

Double post
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I wore this to work two days in a row, and it seemed to have an effect on people that other fragrances haven't had... all day long people were leaning over and getting into my personal space... which I have to say has never happened to me before.

I was going to buy it anyways but after seeing the reactions (no compliments, just body language), I got it immediately.

As for Tobacco Vanille, yes, there are hints of that, but they are different scents. I find Tobacco Vanille better in terms of longevity and sillage, but what I like about Spicebomb is the evolution--and as people have mentioned Tobacco Vanille is rather linear.

Spicebomb has character, it is always changing and revealing some new facet, and it develops over a long period of time. I find this chameleon-like novelty totally compelling, and this particular aspect of the fragrance really is unlike anything I have experienced in some time.

The spicy, peppery opening only lasts for awhile, then the gourmand reveals itself.

On me, I get average sillage and longevity.

Flowerbomb is very wearable for me anyways (burly 230lbs) I would imagine spicebomb (if it would smell similar like you say) to go over well on me as well. Ironically the SA at Sephora thought i was lying hen i mentioned it, "Spice-flowerbomb, *scoff* IVE never heard of it". Those bitches at Sephora sure have their heads up their asses.
    0% Snobbery - 100% honesty

Wait...just realized something regarding the title: Isnt Flowerbomb a great smelling fragrance? Wouldnt a great smelling fragrance for women with added masculine notes(spice) make it a great smelling masculine(maybe not macho if it has the DNA of the original womens fragrance) fragrance? ......

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Curiosity rising. Not worried about the unisexness but the silly bottle.
    Close your eyes while applying then

Quote Originally Posted by Anup View Post
    Flowerbomb is very wearable for me anyways (burly 230lbs) I would imagine spicebomb (if it would smell similar like you say) to go over well on me as well. Ironically the SA at Sephora thought i was lying hen i mentioned it, "Spice-flowerbomb, *scoff* IVE never heard of it". Those bitches at Sephora sure have their heads up their asses.
    The experience level at Sephora stores varies greatly. Some SAs know their fragrances, and others know nothing.

It's my understanding that Harrods and Nordstrom have the exclusive UK and USA launches.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    Lol, will do. If the scent is great the bottle is not that important, even if it looks like a grenade made out of Lego.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    But you have to look into the mirror when applying.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

How does this compare to Dior Homme Intense? On a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being totally different and 5 being very similar? If it's upwards from 2, I'll pass.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

personally I don't find DHI and SB similar at all and happy that I own both. I'd say 1 with DHI and 2 with TV.
    But that may be because I associate DH and DHI (to lesser extent but nonetheless) with iris which is nowhere to be found in SB.
    To me, the only thing that DH, DHI and SB have in common is that they are all exceptional and bottle worthy

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    personally I don't find DHI and SB similar at all and happy that I own both. I'd say 1 with DHI and 2 with TV.
    But that may be because I associate DH and DHI (to lesser extent but nonetheless) with iris which is nowhere to be found in SB.
    To me, the only thing that DH, DHI and SB have in common is that they are all exceptional and bottle worthy
    Phew! Thanks, I am interested again :-)
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    How does this compare to Dior Homme Intense? On a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being totally different and 5 being very similar? If it's upwards from 2, I'll pass.
    I agree with CRVN. The only real similarities are that they are both floral woody gourmands. Spicebomb is much sweeter than DHI, much fruitier. They both have a powdery floral overtone, and both feature vetiverol, a synthetic green vetiver note. DHI has more vetiverol. Neither has much leather. And yes, like CRVN said, they are both (just barely for me) bottle worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Phew! Thanks, I am interested again :-)
    The only similarities is the sweetness. Spicebomb is sweet and DHI is sweet.

I came across this text in some advertising copy:

"The designer duo wanted to give men the fragrance that is Flowerbomb to women, bearing in mind that spices are for masculine scents what flower notes are for feminine."

Are they aware that almost all men's fragrance do contain some florals? Spicebomb contains rose, I understand.

Some nice reviews:

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...ce-review.html

http://www.cafleurebon.com/new-fragr...-away-olivier/

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    True, I'm glad I have these in my collection

I added Spice Bomb to my collection today.....I'm really excited about this fragrance!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    I added Spice Bomb to my collection today.....I'm really excited about this fragrance!!!
    Gary
    Congrats

Glad I went out and tried this, ended up buying it right away. I think it's pretty awesome and already have TV and EDB, slight similarities but different.

There were 3 more guys in line to buy it after me, this ones going to be a hot seller unfortunately lol.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Tobacco Vanille is superior to Spice Bomb in almost every way. Don't get your hopes up
    Spicebomb is good, but definitely no substitute for TV. I will make room for both on the shelf.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by mikesc View Post
    Spicebomb is good, but definitely no substitute for TV. I will make room for both on the shelf.
    Mike, I think Spicebomb and TV are in two separate categories. TV is a boozy tobacco scent more akin to Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Spicebomb is indeed a spicy/woody scent with a very subdued tobacco note.

Both are great but they, IMO, are not similar. I would recommend having both!

So what's the current consensus? Worth buying or over hyped?

I say overhyped

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    i don't think a frag has to be mutually exclusive between the two. yes, i think it's overhyped to some degree but i also think it's very well worth it.

some other fragrances that are also overhyped but worth buying (IMHO) DH/DHI/aventus/MI

At first the name put me off (had thoughts of a pepper bomb). But tried this for the first time today and have to say I really liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I say overhyped
    I agree. Try before buy. And ask those dearest and closest to you if they like it. Those near me did not. Good thing I didn't like it either, otherwise they'd be unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    But you have to look into the mirror when applying.
    I remember that!

I have yet to try this one. I'll see if it's available at my local mall.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I say overhyped
    really, I dont think it is. Overhyped is Gucci Guilty/intense which were duds imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    If it's overhyped or not is subjective. You just have to try it.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Banned

I really don't know...I've been 'using' for about a week now, and I have to say, I've received mixed reactions from colleagues. I think it's great, but if the people I work around don't like it, I'm gonna have to reserve use to the weekends and personal time. Guess only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by spcmiller View Post
    I really don't know...I've been 'using' for about a week now, and I have to say, I've received mixed reactions from colleagues. I think it's great, but if the people I work around don't like it, I'm gonna have to reserve use to the weekends and personal time. Guess only time will tell.
    Strange a lot of my co-workers liked it.

I tried it today. 6 blasts to the neck/1 shot to the hand ( so I could take whiffs as I was driving). It kind of reminded me of cashmere for some reason. It's nice, but not great. I think Antidote is much more complex/perfumey than spicebomb. Spicebomb is laid back, relaxing like a rich luxurious sweater.

I was in the Guess outlet bying a pair of jeans, when the young minx who was assiting me said "you smell great"!
    So I guess it projects and is liked by the young ones. It sure put a smile on her face.

It is one of the better designer releases thus so far, but no wow factor for me.

3.5 stars

Quote Originally Posted by moore View Post
    Didn't you explode?
    The minx did!

Tried this today. I quite like it. However, I opted not to buy it yet because I have a TV decant incoming. I can totally see the association with TV. I can't comment on it's likeness to EDB, however, since I haven't had the opportunity to try that. It's sweet, cinnamonny goodness; warm and comforting. My sister doesn't like the smell at all however. I asked her why--she couldn't tell me. But then again, I don't like what she likes. For example she went to get Lola by Marc Jacobs and the opening smelled like nail polish to me.

Anyway, what would be awesome is if someone made a detailed comparison of SB, TV, and EDB

Gave it a wearing today. Amazing projection and logevity. This is just overall a very good fragrance

Smells a bit more like EDB to me than TV but mostly during the drydown, also has something in the drydown that reminds me of Pure malt and havane.

It's good stuff I think maybe 6 or 7 out of 10 for me, easy to wear.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Everyone should really stop comparing this to Tobacco Vanille. It is a close to TV as 1 million is.

Everyone should really stop comparing this to Tobacco Vanille. It is a close to TV as 1 million is.
    Well it does remind me of 1 million as well, in its sweetest stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    6 blasts to the neck/1 shot to the hand
    Yikes!

I need to get my hands on a sample of this! Does anyone know if this is exclusive to Nordstrom or anything like that?

it is exclusive to Nordstroms for the next 6 months then it will be in Neimans and Saks also, according to a somewhat knowledgeable Nordstroms SA.

it is exclusive to Nordstroms for the next 6 months then it will be in Neimans and Saks also, according to a somewhat knowledgeable Nordstroms SA.
    cool thanks for the info, hep!

I can see a very remote comparison with TV due to the sweetness and tobacco, but TV has that boozy opening, with much more tobacco and vanilla.

The worst part about Spicebomb: by autumn every guy will smell like Spicebomb.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I knew it. Backlash starting!

Oh, no backlash. I love this release, it's the first designer fragrance I've ever enjoyed and I enjoy it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    I tried it today. 6 blasts to the neck/1 shot to the hand
    Wow, you dont need to over spray with this guy. 3-4 is plenty.

Heard the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    I guess this is going to be true, there really pushing this. So this may turn into the new Le Male/1million. Time will tell

Do you not think the price will keep alot of the less enthusiastic fragrance wearers from buying Spicebomb?

Also the brand would not be well known to most men, I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post
    Do you not think the price will keep alot of the less enthusiastic fragrance wearers from buying Spicebomb?

I agree with that. I don't think this will be a mass appeal frag that everyone owns.

Quote Originally Posted by TMA View Post

True it's not a well know brand, but they are advertising this like mad. As for the price, maybe it will but this is still farely cheap imo, $95 for the big bottle and $75-80 for the smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Oupavoc View Post
    True it's not a well know brand, but they are advertising this like mad. As for the price, maybe it will but this is still farely cheap imo, $95 for the big bottle and $75-80 for the smaller one.
    I thought the price for the smaller one to be a bit out of line with traditional prices. I know its just $10, but usually 50mL's go for around $65.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

I don't think price will deter many buyers, since.both Le Male and 1 Million aren't much cheaper and still regularly fly off the shelves in most stores. Will be curious to see just how popular this ends up being.

I had a look and SB isin't as expensice as I had assumed.

Then again, it is a 90ml bottle, I was thinking of the price of the 125ml bottle of Antidote.

Banned

tried this today...

this pretty much comes down to: are you a designer frag wearer or a niche frag wearer?

if you (or your budget) is designer heavy, go ahead. it is a pleasant enough fragrance.

if you are a niche person, there is so much out there that trounces this. I own Royal Oud and Tobacco Vanille, and buying this would be a complete waste. in the opening it has a cheap version of the spices in Royal Oud. as it dries down, it dries down to a cheap Tobacco Vanille.

and, as with all designer frags, it gives me a headache something fierce. ChemicalBomb?

the only good that has come of me testing this is that I'm going to try layering Tobacco Vanille with Royal Oud and see if I can make a "Spicebomb" that doesn't scream "I BOUGHT THIS AT MACY'S!!!"
    Last edited by Reckoner; 2nd March 2012 at 12:42 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Imagine the powdery clean soapiness of Dior homme, with the white musk soapiness of Creed's Original Vetiver. I think the cool, clean notes in SpiceBomb are a wonderful contrast. I just wish the fruit and sweetness were slightly less. The chilly soapiness is perfect...never too much.

i get a little of the soap but not much powdah
    Last edited by Reckoner; 1st March 2012 at 06:15 PM.