Code of Conduct

Default Ease me into vanilla?

I usually abhor vanilla and gourmand scents. Love spicy, hate leather and earthiness. However, lately, I have been wearing scent samples that are powdery or vanilla. TOo much powder, no.

Wore Back to Black for the second time. Wife got baby powder, and I agreed and said with some cherry cough drops by Ludens added in. First time, I thought cherry pipe tobacco and would have preferred Fumerie Turque. Yeah this time around, Back to Black was smoother somehow. And I think it had something to do with the fact that wife was burning a candle last night and the nicest vanilla scent, without being too foody, had me thinking comfort. Also, first wearing it was 49 degrees F outside, and today it is 72. This scent is nice, very nice. Maybe it is because I give up too early. Too bad the small sample vials only allow for 2 wearings. If this was not so expensive - $225 for 50ml - I could see me grabbing a bottle. At this price, Id have to look hard at getting Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain again - $125 for 50ml

Got to revisit Absolue Pour le Soir. That was a dry down to vanilla, but it had skankiness going on. First hour, terrible ride. After that, loud and mellowing. So I wont give up on this vial just yet.

A thread on Sprituese Double Vanilla and Tobacco Vanille had me thinking maybe some of these colognes have this vanilla note in common. Also, got a good reading of Mono d'Oro Vanille - wonder how it projects and lasts compared to these two. Maybe I do need a vanilla to go with my Coromandel

I loved the projection and longevity of B2B and the Absolue. So, any suggestions on what I should consider? And the Mono scent, can someone compare and contrast it somehow with the B2B, the Absolue and the Coromandel since I can use those as a frame of reference?

Default Re: Ease me into vanilla?

All the fragrances you list above are top notch IMO. If you find that you do like by Kilian Back to Black, don't be put off by the price - you can purchase 50ml for $125 -- however, it comes without the very fancy bottle and box - it is their 50ml refill bottles. If you have your own atomizier, it is a good way to save $100. The box is really nice though...

I haven't yet tried L'Occitane Eau des Baux (I have a sample on the way), but I hear it is a nice vanilla. You may want to try (if you haven't already) Thierry Mugler Pure Havane. It is a tobacco / vanilla fragrance that I enjoy very much, and has great longevity.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I second Pure Havane

Vanille Givree Des Antilles - By La Maison de la Vanille

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If you find that you do like by Kilian Back to Black, don't be put off by the price - you can purchase 50ml for $125 -- however, it comes without the very fancy bottle and box - it is their 50ml refill bottles. If you have your own atomizier, it is a good way to save $100. The box is really nice though...
    This is how I purchase all my Kilian perfumes. I either purchase as a 50ml refill or 30ml travel size refill.

Back-To-Black in 50ml refill is $125.00 and 30ml refill is $75.00. Even the Oud's are not bad at $175.00 for 50ml refill.

Nice glass bottles with metal atomizers are cheap.

Sure, Kilian's packaging is top notch, but to me, it is not worth the $100.00 extra you will pay for it.

I will continue to recommend Annick Goutal's Vanille Exquise. Though the sillage and longevity is limited it's the most real take on natural vanilla I've ever come across. Molinard's original Vanille was close, but the new one has a boozy quality that makes it too fake/foody. Most vanillas make me think more of Vanilla Essence, or even imitation Vanilla Essence given their sweeter scent and boozy aspects. Goutal's has a dry, almost nutty quality just like the real deal. It's unmistakably vanilla, but in no way foody.

Miket, I would want it to be pretty much great on longevity and sillage. Back to Black, and the Absolue, they do it as far as each of those. That Mona d'Oro has some nice reviews. I dont know that I want a primarily vanilla scent, but as a note, I used to eschew it and avoid it and well, maybe my nose is coming around. Seems comforting to me, and some with spices or rum or tobacco or a combination might work. I do however want at least medium or better projection (Lumiere on me fails that and Bois Bond by Atelier certainly does, though both scents smell good) and longevity much better than average

Miket, I would want it to be pretty much great on longevity and sillage...
    I always warn people about the longevity and sillage for this very reason. I know for most short-lived fragrances with softer sillage are a turn-off. I still think it's the best vanilla around, although I admit I'm hoping for an EDP version to come out someday myself.

Molinard's Vanille has good longevity and sillage. Maybe see if you can pick up one in the old blue bottle? Though it's primarily a vanilla scent. It is at least inexpensive. Vanille Marine and Vanille Patchouli by Molinard are both more varied with the latter being furthest from a straight vanilla. They're inexpensive, and have nice projection and longevity in my experience, plus top-notch presentation. May by worth checking out? I'd recommend the Patchouli one personally if you're easing into vanilla.

Cuir Amythste or Patchouli 24 but the you'd need something to ease you into birch tar LOL.

for swap/sale:

-------------------
    Last edited by Trebor; 15th October 2012 at 01:42 PM.

Eau des Baux is a good start for a nice warming vanilla.

Mona di Orio Vanille is good as well, but if you're trying to ease into vanilla i'm not sure this would be the best vanilla to start you off.