Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your Favorite Soap and Why

What is your favorite soap and why ?

Many years ago I got a bar of Gran Valor at an airport and as far as the scent was considered it was magnificent ! I tried to get more of it and couldn't find it anywhere.

I now use a soap with neem oil in it and it tends to give me more sillage and longevity. I have come to the conclusion that, for me, the extra oil will give me a little more longevity with frags that are frustratingly short lived on my skin. The one I use now is by Mountain Sky and is called Kali Spice.

For soaps, I look for a good scent that won't interfere with the frag I will be wearing and some moisturizers for better sillage and longevity.

Some soaps are so exquisite that they serve as my frag of the day. I luv when I have to reply.. "Oh that's not a cologne that's my soap". It would be great to hear about some soaps in this category.. so good that they could be your frag for the day. I used Aqua di Gio after shave balm as my frag at times and liked it. I don't know if its as concentrated as it used to be.

Default Re: Your Favorite Soap and Why

OLAY Ultra Moisture with shea butter....epic. smells divine

Prada: Infusion d'Homme Shower Gel
    L'Occitane: Eau de Bavx Shower Gel
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Cussons Imperial Leather. It smells nice.

Caswell & Massey's Almond Aloe Soap...lathers well, good moisturizing elements and doesn't interfere with my post-shower fragrances.

Dove Sensitive Skin, because I have very dry skin.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Irish Spring, although I'm liking the Old Spice bodywash I've been using lately.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Irish Spring & Coast for me. (Love that clean, green smell). I guess that's why I love Mugler Cologne & Creed Original Vetiver so much.

Roger & Gallet Extra Vieille bar soap. It's a fine rendition of the classic EdC. You will love it. Relatively inexpensive. Beautiful packaging. The scent lasts til the last chip of the bar is left. Goes well with almost any fragrance that follows. Rumored to be the soap of Great Britain's royal family. So when I shower with it in the morning I hum a cheery tune and say, "Ha ha, I'm Prince Charles." It really cheers me up. Great bang for the buck. Can't recommend it highly enough to my BN buddies. The other R&G bar soaps are good, too, but Extra Vieille is the one that blows 'em all away. Only complaint: can't find it in the large, bath-size bars anymore. Available only in the hand soap size. No worries though, I still love it to pieces.

And of course you should finish it off with a spray or two of the amazing EdC.

Yardley London - English Lavander from the dollar store. It smell sooo good on my skin and its cheap ($1 CAN/ bar of soap).

I use Satsuma orange shower gel from The Body Shop. I just love the way it smells first thing in the morning.

Infusion d'homme - shower gel and soap

Agua Lavanda - shower gel

Dove unscented and a few other body washes

I've always been a fan of Irish Spring, but lately I've fallen for Neutrogena Rainbath Shower Gel. It smells a lot like Coty Musk for Men with a bit of a medicinal/minty finish

Dei Colli Florentini Cipresso --cypress soap.

I get mine at the nearest Merz Hypothecary, $10 for an 8.8oz bar. Very nice for this leather chypre fan...and, with use, keeps strong scent cloud pretty much limited to the immediate surrounds of the bath. Don't drop this big boy on a toe!

This one is triple milled, good for your skin and its got a clean fresh scent.

Vetiver Cedar Soap http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/103

It has some citrus notes as well.

PS Lots of good ones to try. Can't wait !
    Last edited by Ricardoh; 15th November 2011 at 01:55 AM.

Olay Mandarine

This Shea Butter soap from L'Occitane. But the limited edition one from Mali. Contains 70% shea butter.

for swap/sale:

Shower:

Vetiver & Juniperberry (Crabtree & Evelyn) brilliant stuff.
    Tobacco Toscana (Santa Maria Novella)

Hand / Face:

Habit Rouge (Guerlain) Just excellent, lasts forever and the scent fills the bathroom.
    Uomo (Lorenzo Villoresi)
    The 'Milk' One (L'Occitane - they're all good)

If you can find this Crabtree & Evelyn grab it - not available here anymore:

Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th June 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Tobacco Toscana (Santa Maria Novella)
    I'll have to check this one out - sounds interesting.

Daily use: Taylors of Old Bond St. Sandalwood soap bars.
    Special use: Mitsouko soap bars.

Dove - scent, skin tolerability, moisturizing effect
    Nesti Dante - again the scent, as well natural ingredients, luxurious packaging & presentation, great diversity

Best bar soap matched to scent I've run into is Habit Rouge. Tough to find anymore.

Best shower gel matched to scent, Infusion d'Homme.

Best generic soap - Cussons Imperial Leather

Best cleansing soap- Zirh Body Bar

I don't think I'm OCD, but I have a real thing for soaps.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th November 2011 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Nesti Dante - again the scent, as well natural ingredients, luxurious packaging & presentation, great diversity
    +1. These are fab and not wildly expensive.

Banned

I got some plain old lavender scented shea butter soap bars from Whole Foods the other day. 3 for $5. And they are fantastic
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Tom Ford Neroli Portofino Bath Soap. It leaves you squeaky clean and the fragrance is crisp, citrusy and a bit floral mixed with the classic bar soap smell. Now that it's almost gone, I'm split between buying another or trying something else.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhunbj View Post
    Yardley London - English Lavander from the dollar store. It smell sooo good on my skin and its cheap ($1 CAN/ bar of soap).
    I like that one, too, Good stuff - excellent value. Also very manly.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:47 PM.

At the moment I'm enjoying the Nesti Dante Chic Animalier range. These look and feel luxurious, and the fragrance is fabulous. My favourite is Bronze Leopard.

When I'm in a rustic/minimalist phase I often use traditional Savon D'Alep for washing, shampooing, and shaving (you get used to the smell). Lovely soft shave, and seems to add body when shampooing.

But most of the time I stick with the ever dependable and inexpensive Imperial Leather - nice smell, good lather, and cheap.
    Last edited by Calvane; 29th November 2011 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhunbj View Post
    I picked some up. It moisturizes and smells fresh ( and good ). Unbelievable value at $1 Can. I bought one to try it.. I'll get several next time.
    Last edited by Ricardoh; 29th November 2011 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHaarlem View Post
    Dove Sensitive Skin, because I have very dry skin.
    +1 Dove Sensitive. Won't break me out when used on my face and is fragrance free so it won't interfere with my aftershave or cologne.

Baxter of California Italian Lime and Bergamont bars

I love the scent, it's a light summer scent with a masculine spice to it. Leaves me feeling really clean

Irish Spring Aloe body wash. It smells incredible and lathers up much better than any body wash I've tried. It really makes your skin feel much cleaner and fresher. Just a little bit with lather up a bunch!
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

+1 on Yardley English Lavender
    Also a huge fan of the Nancy Boy soaps, particularly the Signature scent. The bars are big and last a long time.

Recently tried Dove Men+Care Body and Face Bar because I had not heard about it before and was intrigued and it was on sale. It left my skin very smooth. First impression was really liked it. Just might change from the Olay I have been using.

Irish Spring is my favorite! But im going to order Cussion Imperial because ive been hearing alot of good things from it.

Quote Originally Posted by MOONB View Post
    I like that one, too, Good stuff - excellent value. Also very manly.
    Great as a hand soap. I've liked this one since I was a kid, having first used it in a restaurant men's room.

My favourite soap bar none is Syrian Laurel soap, or Aleppo soap as it's called. All natural, hand made, moisturises the skin lightly and doesn't interfere with skin's natural PH. It's just all round good for your skin, almost nourishing. It smells lovely but it doesn't smell strongly. If you have dry skin or problems with your skin generally its great. Bonus it's slight moisturising character leaves your skin in better condition for keeping your favourite frags going.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post
    My favourite soap bar none is Syrian Laurel soap, or Aleppo soap as it's called.
    Same here. I also like the Eau Sauvage soap, it's much more bitter than the current EDT. I think it has escaped the IFRA police restrictions but to me it is exactly what Eau Sauvage EDT used to be 20 years ago.

I am such a soap whore that it defies description. I *love* soap. Here are my secrets:

Best Cheap Soap: Yardley English Lavender (seems like we all agree on that one. Ironically, I prefer the cheap american version to the more expensive made in England ones.)

Best Mid-Range Soap: CASWELL-MASSEY. I find that Caswell-Massey, actually, is the best soap in the world. It sort of marries the "English School of Soap" with the "French School of Soap," presenting the best of both. My absolute favourite scent is "Jockey Club," but all of them are very nice, and the colours are fascinating. They have BLACK ("Onyx") and two shades of BROWN -& when I say "brown," I mean BROWN-- ("Sandalwood" & "Tricorn") Jockey Club is a sort of pale sea-foam green. I think if I had to have *ONLY ONE* brand of soap, I would choose Caswell-Massey.

I used to think Bronnley made the best soap, until I tried F.RANCE soap. (The one that's just called F.RANCE & comes in a brown box printed in burlwood.) To me, the smell of that soap would be classified as one of the most exquisite perfumes I have ever smelled. It's supposed to be "Sandalwood" but to me it doesn't smell like sandalwood at all: It just smells like the most delicious thing i've ever smelled in my life. I would KILL to have a perfume that replicates it. The Rance soaps, regardless of what nonsense they've invented about their history, are probably the most luxurious soaps I have ever used. They lather and perfume like none other. Their lather is richer, and fattier than Casswell-Massey's, but they don't last as long. They are Italian, so they sort of have their own "specific" vibe. The one thing you notice -immediately- with RANCE soap is how rich and fatty the foam is: like shaving foam.

Lately, I've been LOVING the lifetime supply lot of huge vintage GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN "soap-on-a-rope" I got on e-bay, circa late 70's. There's just something about it. The rope is annoying but it's a winning piece, no doubt.

I find ROGER&GALLET soaps to be very drying, I always have, though their Carnation scent is so lovely that I buy them anyway. I found the same with PUIG soaps--Agua Lavanda, Maja, etc: They are irritating. Very long lasting, etc, but drying. Like dog soap.

If I had to have *JUST ONE* soap--and that implies that i would then must need wash my face with it, it would be Caswell-Massey "Almond" (or "Almond Milk" --or something) This is white and it smells like milk. It is not irritating to the face, and is all around lovely. On my face I have always used Dove.

BEST SIMPLE SOAP: Pre-de-Provence. This is just "Savon de Marseille" glamorously presented but it comes in some absolutely delicious scents: My favourites are "Verveine" (linden) and "Miel" (honey)
    "...a Chacun son Mauvais Gout."

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another vote for Caswell-Massey as best soap brand overall, but in terms of what the toiletries obsessed men I know swear by: Classic German Speick for the basic shaving or man soap or Yardley Oatmeal and Almond.

As for bathing and more unisex; I prefer Asian soaps that can be bought at many global grocers, as they are more moisturizing and scented and less drying than the European and American ones:

Chandrika Ayurvedic Soap is really quite strong and maybe not to the liking of some, but it's a unique and rich scent (can be drying if overused, not recommended for face). Only for those who are decidedly not barbershop.

a brand of soap called Asantee, especially in the Tamarind scent is amazing and lightens any nicks or skin marks.

I also like Socrates brand Olive Oil soap from Greece, also found at global grocery outlets.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and how could I forget? Dove Beauty Bar Sensitive Skin for the face is fantastic for a cheapie, better than much higher end lines I've tried (as long as you moisturize lightly after).

I'm another fan of Yardley soaps. So far I've used the Oatmeal & Almond, English Lavender, and Lemon Verbena.

I just tried Speick soap an hour ago; that is definitely an instant favourite. Unfortunately, it is incredibly expensive.

I've seen the Crabtree & Evelyn Vetiver Juniperberry soap in stores, but I never picked it up. I will have to give it a try one of those days.

Does anyone like the classic Musgo Real soap? It's also very expensive, but I'm drawn to the vetiver and patchouli description... I haven't tried it yet, but it's on my shopping list.

(I used to just use Irish Spring IcyBlast just because there was nothing locally available; for the most part now I just use Dr. Bronner's as my workhorse soap)

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

delamain: I like Dr. Bronner's too! But never get it ANWHERE NEAR your eyes, even moreso than most soaps. Something about the castile is pure hell. Anyone else see the hilarious documentary about Dr. Bronner? The man is a true wacko eccentric, but quite entertaining...

I guess Speick is usually priced a little much for what it is outside of Europe. Where are you located? I remember in Germany it was pretty cheap. Never tried Musgo Real, but you said vetiver and patchouli and I said YES PLEASE, even if it is supposed to be for men.

C&E Sienna...I stock up when I get to a C&E outlet, otherwise it would be beyond my budget for everyday use. Triple-milling prolongs life, moisturizes, contains vit. E, and has a clean scent.

Basenotes Junkie

It's fantastic body wash, and I get a kick out of the fact that my name is Joe.

Used to be a big fan of Irish Spring. I guess I still am, but it hasn't gotten any play since I discovered Cussons Imperial Leather which StylinLA recommended and it was a great recommendation.

For many years it was Mysore Sandalwood Soap, these days it's Taylor's Jermyn St hand and bath soaps

I love Yardley soaps too - especially English Lavender because it has always smelled very true, the way real lavender actually smells. I always have some lavender essential oil on hand, and I used to grow lavender in my backyard when we lived in NY, but I haven't planted any here in Virginia. I just think lavender is essential in a household - like aspirin or tea or...whatever. Real lavender, not fake lavender as in lavender-vanilla scented detergent. I bought some lavender scented goat's milk soap at Whole Foods, but the scent is too faint for me. Yardley's is the winner in my book.

We always have a Dove bar in the shower. It's my husband's preference. He likes the scent (pleasantly rosey/soft musky) and it is very gentle on the skin, not drying, even on the face. I like the way my husband smells after he has showered. He smells of Dove bar and Old Spice deodorant stick, a spicy rose.

My latest soap addiction is Crabtree & Evelyn's Iris, for its gorgeous scent, which I find very soothing and calming. It is like a tranquilizer for me. No pills necessary while I have that soap on hand.

An old favorite used to be C&E's Jojoba soap that was in the shape of a seashell. I liked its creamy lather, sweet soft scent, and its seashell shape. A total escape soap for me.

I like to buy handmade soaps from various places, farmer's markets. Mint is nice.

mihailo

D O V E extra sensitive. Unscented, high quality, leaves no residue, contains no nasty preservatives, I even wash my hair with it. A perfect product really.

LOL: So funny, Lilybelle/Birthday Girl: BEFORE i found the e-bay man who's great aunt died and from whom i bought virtually everything he had that was Givenchy Gentleman, which included lifetime supplies of soap and deodorant--& i prefer french deodorant--even though it's not as effective--I SMELLED EXACTLY LIKE YOUR HUSBAND fresh out of my bath: Dove Soap and Old Spice "Original Stick Formula" Deodorant! How funny is that?????

Quote Originally Posted by le mouchoir de monsieur View Post
    LOL: So funny, Lilybelle/Birthday Girl: BEFORE i found the e-bay man who's great aunt died and from whom i bought virtually everything he had that was Givenchy Gentleman, which included lifetime supplies of soap and deodorant--& i prefer french deodorant--even though it's not as effective--I SMELLED EXACTLY LIKE YOUR HUSBAND fresh out of my bath: Dove Soap and Old Spice "Original Stick Formula" Deodorant! How funny is that?????
    That is very funny!! Yes, it must be the classic Old Spice stick, not the new "sport" or any other variation. He will accept no other than the original. So you are another spicy rose yourself there. I'm glad to know it.

Banned

Pears bar soap before the terrible 2009 reformulation. A close 2nd would be Cussons Imperial Leather. Both different yet great scents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    That is very funny!! Yes, it must be the classic Old Spice stick, not the new "sport" or any other variation. He will accept no other than the original. So you are another spicy rose yourself there. I'm glad to know it.
    +1 for husbands with the Classic Old Spice Deodorant stick. I also got him some of the vintage cologne, so he can layer it up a bit.

My soap is L'Occitane Verbena Shea Butter Soap i love the lemon- ness, very refreshing? HE keeps his hands off it, and uses any old rubbish really

Quote Originally Posted by Scent-imental View Post
    +1 for husbands with the Classic Old Spice Deodorant stick. I also got him some of the vintage cologne, so he can layer it up a bit.

My soap is L'Occitane Verbena Shea Butter Soap i love the lemon- ness, very refreshing? HE keeps his hands off it, and uses any old rubbish really
    Yay for Old Spice original! There are Old Spice body washes now, but I know the Mister wouldn't use anything like that. He likes things "the same".

I love L'Occitane. I don't think I've used any of their soaps, though. I'm going to check that out. Verbena Shea Butter is probably nice in summer. My soaps are safe, too - especially the really perfumey ones and shower gels. Not that I mind if he uses them, but he just likes his Dove Bar.

Chanel No.5 soap bars are another favourite of mine. Not only do they smell divine ( and perfume the whole bathroom), but they are also quite long lasting and do a decent job of moisturising.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Caswell & Massey's Almond Aloe Soap...lathers well, good moisturizing elements and doesn't interfere with my post-shower fragrances.
    Truth!

When I want to have a scent on my skin after shower, you can't beat the Chanel soaps. I love #5 and Coco soap.
    So +1 with Dr. G!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh....I need to add: the Guerlain soaps (except for their vintage ones) do not compare with the quality of Chanel soaps. I bought the Shalimar soap & it's pretty generic, despite the faint smell of Shalimar and the price tag.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

For body wash I prefer Jack Black Turbo Wash, does just as good on your hair as it does on your skin. Has a invigorating rosemary and eucalyptus smell that wakes me right up in the morning, but it doesn't interfere with my frags.

I just use Dove. It smells good and is gentle enough to use on your face.

Yay, another Dove/Old Spice man!

How hilarious is this? Are we a race? Maybe we are: The DOVE/OLD SPICE breed of man--We're Soft on the outside, and in all the right places, yet hard-core & tenacious when and where it counts! I see a future "Group" in the works! Spicey Old Dove Studs?

Spicy Old Dove Studs...that's cute.