Code of Conduct

Default Noob Selecting a Winter Fragrance, HELP!!!

Hello everyone,

New to the site (and to shopping for fragrances altogether) and desperately need some help. I am looking for a new cologne for the winter season. I currently only own a few fragrances: Nautica (Blue, Voyage, and Original), Curve, and Gucci Guilty. Pretty much got them all as gifts and never shopped for cologne on my own. I want something unique from all the scents I own since none of them project well or last as long as I would like for the winter. I also wanted something that women will find irresistable. I recently went to Macy's and smelled a few scents that were interesting: Burberry Brit (Didn't like Touch, London was out of stock but I hear good things), Chanel Allure Homme, D&G The One, and JPG "Le Male". I would like some opinion on the ones I smelled, as well some fragrances that you usually wouldn't find in a Macy's that I might like. You saw what I own above...and you know I am looking for something different from them for the winter...please help!!

Default Re: Noob Selecting a Winter Fragrance, HELP!!!

Hello and welcome to basenotes!
    From those you mentioned I would recomend Burberry Brit & Chanel Allure (both last reasonably well). Have you tried Gucci PH I ? I think it's marvelous, specially for cold weather.
    Good luck !
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day". I don't want to miss that

Current Top 12 Spring: | Chanel Allure Blanche | Guerlain Homme Intense |
    Dior Fahrenheit | Givenchy pour Homme | Carolina Herrera for Men | Narciso Rodriguez Him | T. Mugler A*Men Sunessence | Trussardi Inside | C. Herrera Chic | Azzaro PH | M. Kors Michael for Men | Pal Zileri Sartoriale |

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Buy whichever one YOU liked.

If you continue having no luck finding Burberry London, perhaps Barbone de Balmain, or Nuit de Sens by Feraud

Post Thanks / Like

Yves Saint Laurent's La Nuit de L'Homme is good for winter.
    There is nothing better than getting compliments on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Burberry Brit and London are very good ... Le Male is a powerhouse ... do not choose The One; it has no projection (scent cloud) or longevity (time it is on your person) ...

try 1 Million by Paco Rabanne - great longevity and projection, and the ladies love it ...

Post Thanks / Like

I often see Rochas Man reccomended as a starter for gourmands(which I think are great for the winter). Gourmand scents are usually ones that smell sweet and sometimes syrupy, with smells like coffee, chocolate, cocoa, dark chocolate, cinnamon, etc. Although it definitely isn't restricted to just those. Le Male is also often called a gourmand because of some of it's notes.

If that's too tame for you, like it was for me, you can also try out A*Men. Be warned though, it can get cloying fast if you spray too much, and it has a "Burnt" or tar note mixed into it that many people might not like.

Also heard good stuff about Dior Homme Intense, it does have a funky iris note in it however which smells like a purse bag and lipstick to me.

All those are worth trying though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Burberry Brit and London are very good ... Le Male is a powerhouse ... do not choose The One; it has no projection (scent cloud) or longevity (time it is on your person) ...

try 1 Million by Paco Rabanne - great longevity and projection, and the ladies love it ...
    Yes +1
    There is nothing better than getting compliments on how good you smell!

"We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time." ~ Huey Lewis & The News

Post Thanks / Like

Yves Saint Laurent's La Nuit de L'Homme, if you like it.

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

le male
    lolita lempicka au masculin - sweet candy like licorice
    Amen - top notes are not cloying just dont spray a inch away from neck

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post

Smelled this today...very unique. I liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

London is the ultimate winter fragrance IMHO. It smells like the holidays and is very warm and inviting. Brit is also a nice choice. Any of the A*Men flankers and original A*Men are great for cold weather.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

Brit, Le Male, 1 Million, CK One Shock, Gucci Pour Homme 1, Tommy Bahama Original, all are nice in colder weather. Also, if you are interested in spending more on a niche type scent, I like Creed's Original Santal and Himalaya in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Buy whichever one YOU liked.
    Thank you everyone for the advice, especially you petruccijc. Took what you said and went and tried a lot more kinds and went with....you guessed it..."Le Male" by JPG.

Here is why: I live in a country town with not very many people, so Le Male is still a unique scent around here and no one wears it, which is what i was looking for. I also wanted something great for the winter, something that worked with my skin/body chemistry, something the ladies will love, and major longevity. And Le Male had all those things. I also thought about picking up a bottle of something else to contrast the Le Male, just not sure yet. I did, however, finally get to smell Burberry London, and it really smells amazing. Definitely winter in a bottle. Prob pick up a bottle of it too...don't know yet. The search continues...