Code of Conduct

Default Invasion Barbare, what else?

In a different thread I asked for recommendations for fragrances similar to Creed Bois du Portugal and several people recommended Invasion Barbare.

I've tried it and I love it! Maybe even more than BdP and for years that was essentially my signature scent.

I really enjoy a very masculine scent and that fits the bill perfectly.

I would love to build a collection of scents like these that I can alternate.

What are some other fragrances that are similar to Invasion Barbare that I should add to the rotation?

Default Re: Invasion Barbare, what else?

People have said that PdN New York is in the same vein as these two.

Sartorial

or, maybe, you should check some other fougeres like

Or Black
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    NONONSENSE #5
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Grafton Truefitt & Hill
    Fougere Bengale
    Quorum
    Lauder For Men
    Tsar
    Gucci Nobile
    Eloge Du Traitre

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Was about to start a similar thread asking what resembles Sartorial.

I already know IB was one of them. Maybe others?
    Since apparently, sartorial and IB are the same genre.

for swap/sale:

+1 1725 Casanova, it smells similar but a little more powdery.

You should also try A Taste of Heaven by By Kilian. Doesn't smell the same, but has a very similar vibe. Quiet elegance, comfortable and classy, doesn't need to shout.

Invasion Barbare is my favorite perfume, in fact I'm wearing it today. And I've been sampling A Taste of Heaven often, and thinking about a bottle.

BTW, why was this thread moved to "Just Starting Out?"

I don't think anybody who's just starting out has ever heard of Invasion Barbare yet alone has a vast enough knowledge of fragrance to recommend other scents that are comparable to it.
    Last edited by Buysblind; 15th November 2011 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Was about to start a similar thread asking what resembles Sartorial.
    Up to a certain point I'd say Ottone by Santa Maria Novella.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I don't get the similarity between Sartorial and IB. Indeed, I don't like Sartorial much, too modern and synthetic smelling, a spare fougere given a twist by some of synthetic "odors", like pressed clothes and the like. Indeed, Sartorial seems closer in spirit to some of these contemporary niche non-perfumes that feature some light, chemical note, though, unlike them, it is fully worked out in a more classical structure.

IB seemed far richer, fuzzier, woodier, natural. It was on my to-buy list in fact, but then I'll make sure I'll give a full wearing again to make sure it doesn't smell like Sartorial to my nose.

cacio

Versace Black Jeans

IB and Sartorial are quite different, about all they have in common is that they are classified as "nugéres," modern takes on the fougére model.

1725 is much closer to IB, though, as several other posters have mentioned, it is more powdery.

Great in its own way, I find that 1725 is much less wearable than IB (which is a masterpiece).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    BTW, why was this thread moved to "Just Starting Out?"

I don't think anybody who's just starting out has ever heard of Invasion Barbare yet alone has a vast enough knowledge of fragrance to recommend other scents that are comparable to it.
    Thank you for asking. JSO isn't only for introductions or newbie stuff anymore. It's also for threads that ask for suggestions, recommendations, comparisons, etc. Male Fragrance Discussion is "for the discussion of men's fragrances, and fragrances worn by men". If the intent of the OP was to further discuss IB it wouldn't have been moved.

Ambro de Jacomo
    New York (de Nicolai)
    Mouchoir de Monsieur - although it's a little dull and isn't much of a performer compared to Invasion Barbare

I don't see IB as being a lot like any of the straight fougeres.
    Last edited by pluran; 15th November 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Banned

if modern fougere is the uniting class, consider Lumiere Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian - a dark fougere with a rose as the star ...

I tried Xerjoff Dhofar (all of once) and I quite it liked it, (keep meaning to track it down again) and I seem to remember it having a classic fougere type aura that might overlap with IB and some other 'nu-fougere' stuff.

Would anyone here who knows it care to comment - is it in the same ballpark / worth a shot?

Escada PH is a great masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Thank you for asking. JSO isn't only for introductions or newbie stuff anymore. It's also for threads that ask for suggestions, recommendations, comparisons, etc. Male Fragrance Discussion is "for the discussion of men's fragrances, and fragrances worn by men". If the intent of the OP was to further discuss IB it wouldn't have been moved.
    Got it. That sounds like a good idea. Maybe it will speed the forum up a little bit. Thanks for answering!

Maybe a bit off-topic, but here we go. I'm not looking for something too similar to IB - I don't think it can get any better. It's the most beautiful fragrance I have ever smelled. I wore it this spring and even ordered a full bottle (haven't got it yet) and it felt like the perfect fragrance for the whole year.

Now when the temperature is rising it actually don't work as well as I thought. During a little cooler weather it was balancing between cold and warm - that was the real beauty of it. During hotter days I noticed I miss those cooler barbershop notes and mostly get vanilla. It's still nice, but you miss the cool/warm-contrast aspect.

Can you recommend something as beautiful as IB, that has that unique balance between cool and warm notes, and something that is as classy as IB, but for warmer weather? It doesn't have to be the same type of fragrance, but I really like the clean "barbershop notes" in IB. I have Rive Gausche, and while it work well in hotter weather, it's still so so far from the quality of IB.

Not similar, but gives me the same "feeling" when I wear it. Puredistance M - The feeling of being James Bond for the day, when nothing goes wrong.

But 1725 and Penhaligons Santorial are in that same ballpark I suppose. But after wearing IB... that's as good as a fougere gets IMO.

You may want to give Bogner Deep Forest a try.

Caron Troisieme Homme has a barbershop musk but is quite fresh (citrus and a touch of flowers). I am not a fan of it, but a fresher "nugere" seems to me is Opus 1870.

Something that to me works very well in the summer and has a contrast warm cold is CDG Man 2 - lemon and incense. But not much of a barbershop vibe.

cacio

Sartorial is very very similar to IB.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Sartorial is very very similar to IB.
    Not if you compare them head to head . After smelling IB and then directly Sartorial, Sartorial just smells like sweet beeswax and some random notes. Then back to IB again and you'll feel a soft wonderful breeze spreading up your nose filling the entire body with joy and awe.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Not similar, but gives me the same "feeling" when I wear it. Puredistance M - The feeling of being James Bond for the day, when nothing goes wrong.
    I find it a lot warmer than IB. It's nice when the jasmine shines through, but I get mostly cinnamon, vanilla and leather. I only have a sample vial, maybe it's different if you spray it. I have tried dabbing a very small amount on different places on my body, but it always ends up too warm and too much for summer, and even too warm for spring.

Actually I'm trying it right now, and it reminds me a bit of Costume National Scent Intence - but with better ingredients and less jasmine and the cinnamon/vanilla replacing the amber note in Scent Intense. And yes, I find Scent Intense too warm for summer too.
    Last edited by irrbloss; 2nd May 2012 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    not similar, but gives me the same "feeling" when i wear it. Puredistance m - the feeling of being james bond for the day, when nothing goes wrong.
    qft
    adversity introduces a man to himself -anonymous

same 'vein' and you might like:

Houbigant Fougere Royale
    Tiffany For Men

refined take on men's EDC:

ELdO Je Suis un Homm

imo Sartorial smells nothing like IB

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    Can we please get a (gender neutral, optionally) forum specifically for recommendations/what to wear? This seems like it creates a clearer division than "Just starting out" - I mean, every thread that isn't looking for recommendations or asking what to wear for a specific occasion is going to be discussing the fragrance itself, and thus could and should go into the main board. Well, the one exception might be people questioning the legitimacy of their bottle. I wouldn't mind seeing a forum dedicated specifically to bottle legitimacy and fakes, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by irrbloss View Post
    Maybe a bit off-topic, but here we go. I'm not looking for something too similar to IB - I don't think it can get any better. It's the most beautiful fragrance I have ever smelled. I wore it this spring and even ordered a full bottle (haven't got it yet) and it felt like the perfect fragrance for the whole year.

Now when the temperature is rising it actually don't work as well as I thought. During a little cooler weather it was balancing between cold and warm - that was the real beauty of it. During hotter days I noticed I miss those cooler barbershop notes and mostly get vanilla. It's still nice, but you miss the cool/warm-contrast aspect.

Can you recommend something as beautiful as IB, that has that unique balance between cool and warm notes, and something that is as classy as IB, but for warmer weather? It doesn't have to be the same type of fragrance, but I really like the clean "barbershop notes" in IB. I have Rive Gausche, and while it work well in hotter weather, it's still so so far from the quality of IB.
    Maybe Reflection Man?

^ agree

+1 RM

also Montale Fougere Marine or MFK APOM

Ok, I've found it. Got my sample of Ambre Topkapi by MDCI. Just like IB, it just reeks of quality. Not quite as good as IB, but still a lot better than most fragrances I have sampled. Very fresh but it still has depth. The first seconds it smelled generic, but then - wow! That's my initial impression, I'll try a full wearing some hot day.

Edit: No I was too quick to judge it - now it has turned sour on my skin
    Last edited by irrbloss; 4th May 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Can we please get a (gender neutral, optionally) forum specifically for recommendations/what to wear? This seems like it creates a clearer division than "Just starting out" - I mean, every thread that isn't looking for recommendations or asking what to wear for a specific occasion is going to be discussing the fragrance itself, and thus could and should go into the main board. Well, the one exception might be people questioning the legitimacy of their bottle. I wouldn't mind seeing a forum dedicated specifically to bottle legitimacy and fakes, actually.
    That's a great recommendation. I hope you mention it in the survey too.