Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best recommendations for a woman (25-29 yrs) warm, flowery and sensual

Hi Everyone!

I am very new to the world of fragrances but while researching what fragrance to buy for someone I've ended up getting really hooked on the olfactory sciences...I am still totally clueless however so am asking for a recommendation here

I really haven't learned the complex terminology associated with fragrances yet, so I am going to describe what I am looking for in laymen's terms. I am looking to buy a christmas gift present for a girl in her mid to late twenties. Something very sensual, feminine and racy but sophisticated as well. A warm and inviting smell rather than cool ones. More floral and feminine than fruity/citrusy. I'd also be very interested in fragrances beyond the floral category, or mixes etc, as long as they are not overtly citrusy or fruity. She is Brazilian and has a bubbly outgoing personality so something to match that. It would be very nice to have a wow factor that can be appreciated by normal people as well rather than the highly complex ones that are appreciated by the expert trained noses in this forum, but that go unnoticed by the general plebs among us The wow/unique factor is really important for me as I would like her to see it as the best she has ever smelled rather than another very nice perfume. You know how it is, I'm betting on something to sweep her off her feet lol. Oh and something that feels young and not middle-aged, but not teenage either - something that is perfect for the 25-30 age bracket.

I am a fan of Rose however I have read in quite a few places rose perfumes remind people of older ladies. So though I like it I would not like her to feel that way, but please do recommend on what you think would be best!

Obviously I'm not looking for any ridiculously priced only-5-bottles-made ones, looking for something below £100 but I can stretch more if you think it will be worth it.

Also I would definitely like to smell all your recommendations myself as well, so fragrances that I would be able to access on the high street would be very nice. I live in London so I'm guessing most of the stuff I can find and sniff in Oxford Street

Default Re: Best recommendations for a woman (25-29 yrs) warm, flowery and sensual

Micallef Gardenia
    L'Artisan Nuit de Tubereuse

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best recommendations for a woman (25-29 yrs) warm, flowery and sensual

Estee Lauder Private Collection Tubersose Gardenia

Post Thanks / Like

As the others, I too am thinking about tuberose, a big, luscious, over the top flower. In addition to the suggestions, I would recommend Fracas, as well as Tubereuse Criminelle by Serge Lutens (I'm not sure the latter is within the price range, though). Carnal flower by Malle would be another one but it's certainly over the budget.

Alternatively, floral though not a tuberose, there's always the (cheaper and easier to find) Gucci Rush, a floral blast that definitely sweeps people off their feet. It's hard to imagine Rush being used outside of parties, though, it would definitely be out of place, say, at work or for a dinner.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Warm, flowery & sensual = Armani Code.

Welcome to basenotes!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Fleurs De Bulgarie by Creed ... one of the best, rose scents ... a exquisite, dark, brooding rose, coupled with musk and ambergis ... excellent longevity and projection ... quality all the way !

Post Thanks / Like

Vicolo Fiori by Etro

Post Thanks / Like

Fracas
    Last edited by pluran; 18th November 2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: ...................................

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Ford Black Orchid

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, wow! that is a lot of sniffing I'll have to do this weekend! Thanks for all the recommendations Been looking up a bit more, some of the ones I am planning to sample myself this weekend are -

1. Juicy Couture,
    2. Guerlain Shalimar Initial Parfum (which I understand is a younger version of the original Shalimar that seems to get mentioned everywhere)
    3. Marc Jacobs Daisy
    4. Miss Dior (from 1947 - I read this is one of the most sensual perfumes and perfect for younger and older women?)
    5. Joy Jean Patou (concerned whether it will be ok for young people in their 20s...)
    6. Euphoria by CK (not personally keen on it but the marketing blurb/reviews seem so good...)
    7. Coco Mademoiselle by Chanel

Have I naively been duped by marketing (I have zilch idea about fragrances) or do you guys recommend any of them for what I am looking for?

What would be the best recommendation for a feminine flowery + oriental combo, with the oriental adding a spicy and sensual element to it?
    Last edited by Fireflyfu; 16th November 2011 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Added coco mademoiselle

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I tried finding what the difference is between the original Miss Dior from 1947 and the new Miss Dior Cherie. The colours are different, so I know there is something different, lol. But which one would you all recommend is better?

Post Thanks / Like

In your list, go for Joy, a big, complex floral. Or for vanillic-oriental Shalimar, the original one, not the parfum initial, which is not bad, but it's not as good as the original. Miss Dior Cherie is a good quality but standard fruity floral of the genre teenagers like so much; I have not smelled the original Miss Dior, it is certainly not fruity floral, but I heard that in recent years the quality has deteriorated a lot, so beware.

cacio

Absolutely Black Orchid

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As you don't like citrus, you may not like the top notes of Shalimar.

As l said earlier, Armani Code is a must-try & easy to find in the shops.

Also, Givenchy Organza or YSL Cinema.

Happy sniffing!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.