Code of Conduct

Thread: Fake Kouros

Default Fake Kouros

Hello All,

I recently bought a 100mL Kouros on ebay, and wanted to ask the forum if they think it could be fake. Here are the facts:

-a very good price of $25 plus $10 postage
    -a seller who only sells fragrance, over 1000 sales with 99.8% positive feedback
    -seemed to comes in official YSL box, with cellophane over it, no dodgy spelling or unusual marks
    -the only thing which tipped me off is that the "S" in Kouros seems to be a thicker font than the other letters
    -I have a photo of it but cannot insert it into the thread - how do I do that?
    -the scent is actually very nice, exactly as I remember Kouros, and is about to enter my top ten (if it weren't for the concern over authenticity)
    -the only other thing which worries me is the longevity is about 4-5 hours, much short of what I would expect.
    -finally, the silver on the bottom of the bottle is very scratched

Strange, maybe I'm just getting paranoid. It's certainly not obvious like Green Frich Tweed, and if it is a fake it's a pretty good one. But I did hear that YSL are suing a company for buying a batch of fakes or something like that?

Thanks

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Default Re: Fake Kouros

My bottle of Kouros was purchased at Target about 6 months ago. It is not the sillage/longevity monster I remember from years ago. While it is by no means "weak", I definitely don't need to be extra cautious about overapplying. Also, the silver bottom of my bottle was scratched up as well. The "s" looks more like a reversed "z" (but with a little more curve to the corners.) I just assumed the font was a bit stylized to make it look like more like an ancient Greek etching.

Smells great, though.

PS: The "s" on my recently purchased Kouros Fraicheur is also stylized.

Is Kouros that popular among others that it NEEDS to be faked? Obviously I'm not talking about the cult following it has here but rather the general public.

Blog Entries

I think akshay's probably hit the reason that I believe you're safe. I would think counterfeiters would have tons of less niche fragrances (and certainly less complex fragrances) than Kouros to copy.

To post your image go to imageshack.us or photobucket.com, any of those websites. Once you've got it uploaded, it'll give you a URL to your image. Simply wrap [img] tags around your URL, the same way you do bold, or italic, etc.

If it is real then you made a killer buy, I paid $65 plus tax for my 100mL bottle.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 24th March 2008 at 12:42 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Actually, Kouros is very popular outside of this site and has been one of the best selling scents in the world since its release. (It is actually YSL's best selling scent for men.)

If you think that you got a fake, head over to your nearest department store and try it out. If the juice is the same, you've nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    Is Kouros that popular among others that it NEEDS to be faked? Obviously I'm not talking about the cult following it has here but rather the general public.
    I think it consistently places in the top european sellers yearly, at least it did for many years even quite recently

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Actually, Kouros is very popular outside of this site and has been one of the best selling scents in the world since its release. (It is actually YSL's best selling scent for men.)

If you think that you got a fake, head over to your nearest department store and try it out. If the juice is the same, you've nothing to worry about.
    Agreed on popularity.
    In terms of trying it, the problem is it isn't stocked in any department stores in Boston, a pretty big US city. By comparison it was everywhere in Australia.
    Thanks
    Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Ged, if its at Target it could be older stock or Gray Market. Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. If your in the boston area, you can call up "The Beauty Connection" or "Beauty Way" and the proprietor is happy to order anything you like from the distributors.

http://www.yslbeautyus.com/MEN'S-FRA...duct_info.html

Just noticed that one eBay seller has about a dozen listed for under $35 total (which includes shipping). However, the other sellers I saw had much higher prices. Under these circumstances, I would not take that chance. A couple of sellers had the item starting at 99 cents, presumably hoping that there would be a bidding war. They might have a friend bid it up if nobody else bids it up. I would look at seller feedback on toolhaus.org before considering bidding under these circumstances.

actually, sounds like a fake to me. all original kouros packaging i've seen hasn't had a bigger s in the font. also, while bossanovaboy said his is similar from target, i know that here in australia target is known for regularly selling counterfeit fragrances (although i think they suffer from a dodgy supplier and don't sell them knowingly). last time i tested genuine kouros it was still quite the monster longevity-wise.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

It will an cannot be the same, becoz they've reformulated Kouros somewhere around the millenium...

so, don't worry, its still great but has lost a bit 'power' !

regards,
    Renz

In the City Guide forum for Boston there is information about Colonial Drug - an oldtime pharmacy that now specializes in hard-to-find fragrances. They had Knize Ten and Tabac Blond in stock, I am willing to bet they have Kouros as well. Give them a call first.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Here are some pics:

And maybe the longevity isn't so bad after all. I got involved in a certain physical activity the other day, body heat warmed up, and Kouros woke up 6-8 hours after application! Maybe I should just do that more often? ;-)
    Last edited by Ged; 24th March 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: edit

Well oakmoss was found to be toxic to humans. So many fragrances which contained it had it removed and replace with substitute. This may be the reason that Kouros now smells a little different - for it did contain a lot of oakmoss (at one time).

Bump!

Any further takers on this?

Ged

Ged, the font on my bottles of Kouros & Kouros Fraicheur is exactly like that of your bottle. I think they're legit, despite the (slight) reduction of sillage/longevity from years back. The "oakmoss" theory makes the most sense to me...

-David

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Ged, the font on my bottles of Kouros & Kouros Fraicheur is exactly like that of your bottle. I think they're legit, despite the (slight) reduction of sillage/longevity from years back. The "oakmoss" theory makes the most sense to me...

-David
    Thanks David

It smells so good I want it to be true, and you've reassured me.

Ged

Well - I did went to the perfume store to look at original bottle. "S" looks defenitely different. Looks like a different font for "S" is used on your bottle.

Can you take it to your local fragrance store and check it or ask a seller what he or she thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Well oakmoss was found to be toxic to humans. So many fragrances which contained it had it removed and replace with substitute. This may be the reason that Kouros now smells a little different - for it did contain a lot of oakmoss (at one time).
    That, I didn't know...explains a lot !

Tx scentimus !!

I've been using ysl kouros for more than 10 years now...i know kouros inside out....the the rich unique smell, the longevity of the scent....and packaging..... glossy white flat bottle with silver trims on the pump, the top and the bottom....

Yesterday I bought a new 100ml Kouros for QR404 or US$110. when I opened the box i noticed that other than the silver trim on the pump.....missing are the silver trims on the top and the bottom of the bottle.....also the finish of the bottle is matte white and not the smooth and glossy white finish.

IS MY KOUROS FAKE????

are the people from ysl reading this....please tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Kourosman View Post
    IS MY KOUROS FAKE????
    Perhaps, but not necessarily. Sometimes perfume houses change packaging or bottles in small ways in order to help show that a small reformulation has taken place. What you should do is turn over your box or bottle, look for a 4 digit batch code, and put the code into http://checkcosmetic.net/

All genuine fragrances have these batch codes written on them, so if your Kouros has no such code on the box or bottle, it's probably a fake, but if it has the code and the date that the website gives you is something fairly recent, it's a genuine, albeit reformulated, version.

I've seen one called something like Korus. The box is very similar but if you can read it's clearly not Kouros.

Dependent

I didn't know Kouros was worth the time to fake...

Quote Originally Posted by Kourosman View Post
    I've been using ysl kouros for more than 10 years now...i know kouros inside out....the the rich unique smell, the longevity of the scent....and packaging..... glossy white flat bottle with silver trims on the pump, the top and the bottom....

Yesterday I bought a new 100ml Kouros for QR404 or US$110. when I opened the box i noticed that other than the silver trim on the pump.....missing are the silver trims on the top and the bottom of the bottle.....also the finish of the bottle is matte white and not the smooth and glossy white finish.

IS MY KOUROS FAKE????

are the people from ysl reading this....please tell me...
    I have one that looks exactly like yours and mine is definitely real. All of the bottle i have seen here are matte white also.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Nothing to worry about IMO.

Checked my Kouros Fraicheur and Kouros Cologne Sport using the cosmetic calculator given in this thread and to my surprise the bottle of Kouros Fraicheur I bought April 4 2010 was manufactured two months earlier February 4 2010. Scratching my head, I thought KF was discontinued? It is authentic. Box and bottle have sn, it was shrink wrapped and I have owned this before so am familiar with the scent. That calculator is cool!