Code of Conduct

Thread: Dirty English?

Default I liked Dirty English, what is similar to it?

I just got a bottle of Dirty English by Juicy Coutore as a christmas gift, and I like the combination of smoky notes, incense and woods, sort of like a mashup of Gucci Envy, Pour Homme and an autumn campfire. My problem is that I'm afraid I might be anosomic to something in it, because I feel that contrary to almost every review here it simply doesn't project well at all. It smells great, and I can detect it 10 hours later if I stick my head down my shirt but to me it doesn't feel like it has much presence. My female coworkers all liked it but they could only smell it once they got up so close their noses were almost on my collar. Granted, if this scent encourages women to get that close to me on a regular basis, I'll keep a few bottles handy lol

So, what smells similar to it on the market? A smoky, ambery woody oriental with incense?

Default Re: I liked Dirty English, what is similar to it?

Tommy Bahama for Men reminded me of Dirty English except Dirty English seemed sweeter. I should point out that I sprayed Dirty English from a little sample atomizer that I had so I may not have gotten the full force of what the fragrance was all about. You can try out Tommy Bahama for Men at any department store.

Quote Originally Posted by scentseeker View Post
    I just got a bottle of Dirty English by Juicy Coutore as a christmas gift, and I like the combination of smoky notes, incense and woods, sort of like a mashup of Gucci Envy, Pour Homme and an autumn campfire. My problem is that I'm afraid I might be anosomic to something in it, because I feel that contrary to almost every review here it simply doesn't project well at all. It smells great, and I can detect it 10 hours later if I stick my head down my shirt but to me it doesn't feel like it has much presence. My female coworkers all liked it but they could only smell it once they got up so close their noses were almost on my collar. Granted, if this scent encourages women to get that close to me on a regular basis, I'll keep a few bottles handy lol

So, what smells similar to it on the market? A smoky, ambery woody oriental with incense?
    Try spraying liberally (8+) and see if your female coworkers see a difference. I felt the same way when i did the standard 2-3. But anyways, I find 2 Man by Comme Des Garcons quite similar. Sample first, however if you do

AromiErotici

DE is a surprisingly good designer scent. I have worn it a few times and enjoy the confusing opening it employs. Good and gritty.

I don't recall anything smelling very similar to this juice.....especially anything designer. The scent lasts a few hours on me with moderate projection and low sillage. When I like a scent that isn't as strong as I'd like, I just carry an atomizer with me to reapply when needed.

I have wore this scent and thought it was very skin hugging buy when I came contact with others they all complemented on my fragrance -

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    I have wore this scent and thought it was very skin hugging buy when I came contact with others they all complemented on my fragrance -
    You may be right. Maybe the initial blast causes quick fatigue, because I get the same effect as you. My wife can still smell it long after I cannot.

To me it is kind of similar to Ungaro III.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Tested Calvin Klein Man yesterday (came in a CK coffret). Same nose punching smoke/incense opening. Smells a bit sharper than DE and lasts quite long.

I sampled DE on paper & to my nose it reminded me of V&R Antidote

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Tested Calvin Klein Man yesterday (came in a CK coffret). Same nose punching smoke/incense opening. Smells a bit sharper than DE and lasts quite long.
    I have to agree with that, it has all the similarities you like from DE. However, it is slightly less sweet to my nose and a bit more citrus. Overall great longevity and average sillage IMO.

Amongst the fragrances in my drobe I've still been trying to find an appropriate time / mood to feel like grabbing DE. No dought its a good designer fragrance though.
    I've owned Cuiron by Helmut Lang, and dare I say this is the poor-man's Cuiron?
    Last edited by laroche; 30th December 2008 at 05:59 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Dirty English?

Was in TJ Maxx this morning and there was a 100ml bottle of this factory sealed. It was only $24.99 so I was tempted as a blind buy. I didn't in the end but having read some reviews I may go back tomorrow morning. I do like unusual fragrances and enjoy Bvlgari Black and although it is "full on" by all accounts I may have a (very) few occasions where it may fit the bill. What do you reckon?

Default Re: Dirty English?

I wouldn't get it unless it is the original version. I've read that it was reformulated badly. The label on the bottom of the bottle should say Juicy Couture, and not EA Fragrances or something else, in order for me to have any interest. I haven't worn in it a long time because it's missing some things I now consider essential, but I might change my mind about it at some point.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I wouldn't get it unless it is the original version. I've read that it was reformulated badly. The label on the bottom of the bottle should say Juicy Couture, and not EA Fragrances or something else, in order for me to have any interest. I haven't worn in it a long time because it's missing some things I now consider essential, but I might change my mind about it at some point.
    Thank you. I will go back, but if it hasn't got the JC sig i'll leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by indianwells View Post
    Was in TJ Maxx this morning and there was a 100ml bottle of this factory sealed. It was only $24.99 so I was tempted as a blind buy.
    Good deal.

They reformulated Juicy Couture? It was only out for 3 years! I love this one and for $25, it's a steal! Very unique and smells like a more expensive cologne than it is. Read my review about it. It's the one that talks about James Bond and motorcycles and stuff.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Basenotes Plus

I may just take a chance. It will most likely still be there as I am in Naples FLA (Gods waiting room!). I can't imagine Dirty English will be flying off the shelves...

Banned

can't go wrong for $25 for 100 ml. of cedar, leather and spice ...

When you do buy it, keep it and treasure it b/c it's discontinued and was a scent that died to young.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I've also seen a couple of bottles of Dirty English popping back up lately at both TJ Maxx & Marshall's. They used to always have smaller bottles, then it was gone, and now the 100ml bottles are showing up. It's a good scent if you like woody/incense/leathery types of scents. (another cheapie at these stores that's very similar is Tommy Bahama original, in the brown bottle). The two scents are pretty close & both kind of remind me of cheaper versions of Gucci Pour Homme 1.

Basenotes Plus

OK, you've made my mind up guys. For $25 it has to be worth it. Thank you!

Blog Entries

^ This would be worth it at $50, or more. Great frag - it has impressed some fairly finicky noses on BN. I bought the full range - even the deodorant and shower gel.

I only hope that Juicy comes out with a new men's that's just as distinctive. They're not a house that can really afford a big men's lineup, so I understand the discontinuation, but still. They could make up for it with another ballsy men's like Dirty English.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Last edited by kbe; 16th November 2011 at 03:33 AM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

AromiErotici

Very interesting scent. I would sample it first if possible.

Discontinued? Must be another rumor, non the less, Dirty English is great. It doesn't go unnoticed. It might appear from time to time that it lacks longevity and projection but that's not the case at all.

Love it. It's like a less aggressive brother of Yatagan.

Unpleasant top notes, I found it lacking in projection and couldn't get over the fact that it shared some notes with the dreaded Eternity for men. Bottle I found tacky too. All in all this one was not for me.

I love Dirty English. I wear it in the winter. $25 is a good deal.

Someone will have a problem with this comparison but DE reminds me of Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles.

Serge Lutens Fille en aiguilles.

Personally, I've only ever sampled, but never bought Dirty English - so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I find it a very bland scent wrapped up in a provocative name. In my opinion, it's a poor man's Gucci PH1 - except without the clarity, projection, longevity or progression. As I already have PH1 I saw no need to buy DE, because I couldn't think of a time I would decide to wear it rather than PH. (That might just be a personality thing: I'd rather rotate between a few classic scents than own a cupboard full of cheapies.)

I also find an off note in DE. I know some read it as diesel, and some as dirt, and find it sexy and challenging, but to me, it shouldn't have been there. I guess the secret is how you associate this particular tone.

Everyone is different, and I have to say that some people love DE.

Holy thread necrophilia, Batman!

I wonder what the OP got for Christmas 2009 and 2010, and what he's asked for this year. . .

(And I'm guilty of giving it a further bump - aren't I a self-serving weasel?)

Wow, I did not know Dirty English was discontinued. It seems like just yesterday Nordstrom SAs were hawking this stuff to passerby! I like it. Maybe I will look for a bottle at TJ.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th November 2011 at 04:41 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I like dirty english and I think it's distinct and interesting.

It's good.

It was super cheap at Perumania and I always fancied it, so I asked the girl at the counter when they'd get more in. She said they wouldn't b/c it was discontinued. I panicked and bought two 1 oz bottles and immediately went home and booted up the Mac for some Amazon shopping. I found a good price on the 3.4 oz bottle and when I received it I made an unbreakable blood promise that I would forever cherish it and never neglect it like I had Curve and Le Male, which I rarely wear anymore. I thought it would be gone from this earth entirely by now but it's still abundant apparently.

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I bought a 100ml backup for $19.95 from Marshall's today. Good enough to warrant a backup and the price was right.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I bought a 100ml backup for $19.95 from Marshall's today. Good enough to warrant a backup and the price was right.
    I'm seeing these, too. Probably one of the best steals at Marshall's right now. The $19.95 Rochas Man deals are also great, but that's gonna be around for a while. DE is slowly disappearing, from what I'm seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Wow, I did not know Dirty English was discontinued. It seems like just yesterday Nordstrom SAs were hawking this stuff to passerby! I like it. Maybe I will look for a bottle at TJ.
    Ditto! I like DE and the spice/leather notes.

Time to scour the discounters.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Market really lacks of Dirty English and Gucci Pour Homme I as both share the vibe and both discontinued. Shame, shame, shame. I wonder why is there a "problem" with that type of scents, they're not mainstream enough? Sweet enough? Ctric enough? God knows what enough?

I find this fragrance has very good sillage actually, maybe you didnt apply enough.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    You may be right. Maybe the initial blast causes quick fatigue, because I get the same effect as you. My wife can still smell it long after I cannot.
    Agreed. I love the scent, but hate the opening (the first 10 minutes or so kill my senses, but I love it after that). I can never smell it after I applied it, but ...

This is one of the few fragrances I've ever worn that has gotten compliments from strangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    Market really lacks of Dirty English and Gucci Pour Homme I as both share the vibe and both discontinued. Shame, shame, shame. I wonder why is there a "problem" with that type of scents, they're not mainstream enough?
    Couldn´t agree more.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?